Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Ye Olde Notrium 1.11
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Ye Olde Notrium 1.11

ville 19 years ago
    If you want to see how far Notrium has come, here's one old version:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium/misc/Notrium111.exe">http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium/misc/Notrium111.exe</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    great, is this the one with area, or is that only 1.1?
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    No, that's 1.0.
    Great, I loved v1.11, it had the great feeling of survival against the odds. Does anyone have the install fil for the expansion pack?
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    Oh I know how far it has come . I first downloaded Notrium over a year ago but never actually became part of the forums or downloaded any updates. Now I have both the most recent version and v1.0 on my computer and I must say, this game has definitely become something completely different.
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    Gosh. I tought I will never see what it used to be like. Thanks.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Any response about the old expansion? Quanrian?
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    i say dont worry about the expansion, if my memory serves me correctly, it was the expansion which introduced ville corp. It would be best if all human elements were taken out of the remake mod (if thats what your talking about neway, unless you just wanted to check it out)

EDIT: what is Notrium10-001, i found it on an old backup disc today
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Oh no, I loved the expansion; I know it added Ville Corp, but it also added Eden, which I think was one of the best additions ever.
    I've been playing Notrium since v1.0, by the way.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    I think the puzzles should have been in the folowwing versions too, they're funny!
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    Thanks for making the combining part alot easier, and the map, I got stuck combining. And I was lost.
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    You can turn the puzzle off in the options. I personally kinda thought that the combining puzzle was redundant, and didn't add that much to the game. I know ville was thinking on how the character wouldn't just automatically learn how to combine those 2 so he made a puzzle.
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    Wow. The puzzle was also really hard to slove. Most of the 5 circled ones were really hard.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    So who is going to the be the one to actually make a 1.0 mod?
    It shouldn't be difficult at all since all the necesary graphics and sounds are already availible.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    If no one else wants to, i will, but i wont start for about a week.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "alienkiller" said:
    Wow. The puzzle was also really hard to slove. Most of the 5 circled ones were really hard.

I thought it was a pretty good puzzle in it's own right, but it didn't quite fit the game. Never seen a puzzle like that, although I don't play puzzles all that much.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    try to combine a warpgun, that one is big puzzle!
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    The only trouble I had was the outer circle kept on moving, I got frustrated and just quit.
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    *whistles* Wow...just wow. Notrium has come a loooooooooooooooooong way. 1.1 gives you a feeling of being lost and abandoned more than the previous versions though...
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    The way the aliens' heads move is interesting. I had always wondered why they were seperate from the body in the graphic files. What happened to this feature?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    Any response about the old expansion? Quanrian?

I have to agree that the Expansion is just going to take Notrium towards 1.3 again. One thing most don't seem to realize though is alot of what was done in 1.11 was done because it was more or less the only way. It's nice now to be able to make 1.3 like it is now with structures and building or make it like 1.11 with everything being random and hectic. The only thing you can't get back is the puzzles. The puzzles were removed after a while because it turned out they weren't a smash hit and were a deterent for some, so Ville chose to omit them in later versions.

My main thing with the Expansion was this. I had several people tell me they didn't find much variety in the enemies and everyone seemed to want more enemies and more to explore. The whole point of the Expansion was to add more challenge, however most, including those I had test it said it just ruined the immersion of being stranded. I also wanted to add more weapons, especially an alternative to the energy draining weapons which is why I added in the pistol. The Expansion was never originally meant to be anything more than a hobby for me either and I attribute a large amount of it's succes to the fact that no one else was publically submitting their mods because there were others but you just never saw them.

So while I think there were some novel things done in 1.11, the best thing that could happen has happened now. That is that people are openly sharing their mods and not hording them away. That is what I wanted to see all along when I released my Expansion was just to promote the fact it could be modded and see who else submitted theirs. No one else did, which is why I'm so happy with the modding activity I see now because that surely wasn't the previous trend.

I'll see if I can dig up the old expansion for 1.11. If anyone else has it in zip form could you please email it to Ville.
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    The only reason what sucked about 1.1 is the graphic and I got lost!!! And there was 2 hive. And the alien suck.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "roburky" said:
    The way the aliens' heads move is interesting. I had always wondered why they were seperate from the body in the graphic files. What happened to this feature?

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was in version 1.2 but at some point in the development of 1.3 it was taken out or changed. Don't forget Ville literally rebuilt alot of the code from scratch with 1.3.

As for the Alien sucking in 1.11, well it was kind of weak and there plenty of complaints about that. I'm pretty sure in my Expansion I changed the Alien's attack to the rapid fire slash you now see in the current version. If you've played 1.2 than the Expansion was already built into it. I also got the impression back than that people didn't play as the different races, they just played as one.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    Yes I remember that. I really liked that effect, it makes the aliens look as if they are smarter than they are.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    The head turning definitely wasn't in 1.2, which was when I first found Notrium.

The brown aliens look really sinister, moving slowly with their turning heads and flicking tails. the blue ones look quite silly though, especially when they change direction. But then the blue aliens have always looked silly.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    The puzzle idea was a good one, and the puzzle itself was good. But the length of time it took to solve some of them meant you were puzzling more than playing some of the time.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Maybe I could somehow tweak the head turning back in. It did look quite nifty, but there were bugs with the head turning a full 360 degrees and more.
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    I wonder how far notrium will go.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    It depends on our fine modders. Are you making a mod already? If not, now's the time.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    Notrium has an extraordinary amount of potential. Now we just need more interest and a bigger community.
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    It depends on our fine modders. Are you making a mod already? If not, now's the time.

I'll try modding.
    #
    Anonymous1157 19 years ago
    If anyone wants the 1.0 beta, and I mean the original thing, it's on this site

Just use the search thing on the side bar, search for Notrium (obviously). I wish I knew how to directly post it...
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    The thing he posted is the original right?
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    No, it's version 1.1, Anoymous1157 gave us the site for the 1.0 version...
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    If anyone wants the 1.0 beta, and I mean the original thing, it's on this site

Except the Gamehippo link points to my site, and it's a broken link as well. If anyone has any contact to Gamehippo, please ask them to update their Notrium review.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    If you do return the head-turning, Ville, you ought to make it settable for each individual creature. It looked funky on the brown aliens, but not too great on the blues, for instance.
    #
    Forum » Ye Olde Notrium 1.11
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: