Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Guide to modding tool

Guide to modding tool

Guest12345 (guest) 11 years ago
Could it be possible that someone would do small guide on how to use modding tool.
I tried to use it but my success is not very good.
#
Pete 11 years ago
You could start here:

Driftmoon_Modding_Wiki

Other than that, a good start is usually to look through the original maps/script files to see how things are done, and experiment with them.

Edited 11 years ago
#
ville 11 years ago
It would be great to have some kind of a modding tutorial.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Yes it would! Now that I know quite a few things about the editor myself, I can do a lot with it, but I can still remember that it felt challenging for me in the beginning, because I'd never used any sort of a game editor before.

But then again, if I can use it now (and I've got no official training in computers), I'm sure most other enthusiastic modders can get the hang of it as well.

Pete's tip about snooping around the existing maps is a pretty good one as well! You could for example do this:
-Start a new mod and close Driftmoon.
-(Outside Driftmoon now, in Windows explorer or the equivalent) Copy some of Driftmoon's maps from the Driftmoon/n/mainmod/maps directory of the game, and paste them under the new mod folder you just created (whatever you named it). Your own new mod files are located wherever you've saved them yourself when creating a new mod.
-Start Driftmoon again, and start exploring around in the level(s) you just copied under your new mod!

All contributions to the Driftmoon modding wiki are also very welcome!

But yes, a tutorial would be excellent!

Edited 11 years ago
#
Firky (guest) 11 years ago
Hi. Great game. Have played it to the end. I love the Gardening Tool of Doom. (Ultima VII ftw.) And that the disembodied hand gave me the finger.

I've had a bit of a play with the toolset and a look at the current wiki.

Would just like to add that a more comprehensive basic tut would be great.

Great game. Thanks again.
#
Anne 11 years ago
I've just made some contributions to the modding wikia, for example these scripting-related general instructions:

Do you understand any of this? Quote from myself:

Note that when creating a new script for a certain object/bot, you need to at least:

(1) select from "Activation Type" (up center) when the script will be triggered (eg. upon starting the map/when the bot dies/randomly/at a timed interval),

(2) Choose under "Actions" the script(s) you wish to use from the list of scripts. (You often need to specify a certain target via "SelectCompanionAsTarget" or another targeting script, to make sure that the actual active script you wish to use refers to the correct object/bot.) You can have a long list of scripts here, and time their occurance by adding waiting time in between (possible to add time right after the name of script).

(3) You may often wish to set certain conditions for your script, unless you wish to create a script which is not limited by any conditions.

Some useful, important scripts (which may not be self-explainatory):

SetGlobalFlag: Use this script is you want something which happens on MAP A to influence another spesific thing which happens on MAP B. (An example: If John-the-bot dies, SetGlobalFlag "JohnIsDead" =1. Open another map, where John's daughter Jill lives. Jill can have a Script for exclaiming her intense sorrow, with a condition set as GlobalFlagIs "JohnIsDead" =1.)

SetVariable: Can be used like SetGlobalFlag (above), but within one single map - NOT across maps. (Tip: You can also use it as "AddToVariable" so that a certain condition will only come true when the Variable has a bigger value, like 5. This may be needed for example if the player needs to gain the trust of five different villagers, before (s)he is able to convince the gatekeeper that (s)he is indeed trustworthy.)

Edited 11 years ago
#
Forum » Guide to modding tool

Your email:
Your name: