Register
Email: Password:
Forum » A look at the available Driftmoon mods

A look at the available Driftmoon mods

Geoffrey (guest) 11 years ago
Hey I've completed the main game several times now, had a lot of fun with it - playing the game more than once is recommended: you'll understand a lot of things better with the ending in mind.

I've tried all the current mods out just now, and I must say there are a lot of creative ideas in it. However, for a new player who just purchased this game, there might be a few problems. Most of the mods date back a year or more and are not suitable for the current game version. This means a lot of bugs and glitches, as well as many missing features such as ability to change view.

To give new players a heads up here are my thoughts on some of the mods, from least interesting to the ones I recommend playing:

- Cuter spiders; Invasion of the Bawkspiders; Tails; Lava Fields: these are just small graphical tweaks. A fun gimmick, but would be better if they were just toggable options in the main game for instance imo.

- Port Potomac: an old mod that starts out in a very dark place with no torches to light your way, making it impossible for me to continue. Without an update I can't recommend it.

- Trials: basically a puzzle map, it's very unclear to me what you're supposed to do exactly, but I suppose for those who want nothing but enigmatic riddles this is your thing! Dungeon Test is similar but without interaction.

- Scavenge!: a nice (almost) deserted island - though I have no idea how to avoid death shortly after the beginning. Worth a look.

- Return to Valimor: A very promising little adventure with a pretty large single map and some secrets. Unfoirtunately the map is broken, you are basically off the map half of the time which is disorienting, but worth playing. I wish the author had continued this.

- Afterlight: the only mod I've played that truly is a total conversion: the game is transformed into a grim post-apocalypic street battle. It's mainly a concept with a lot of textures missing and I can't seem to find the park I'm supposed to go to, but this could be made into possibly something that would rival the main game! Must-play.

- Revenge of Bibbi: Ah the return of the silly fly that tried to ambush you in the main game! And Fizz is back as well! Wonderful adventure that brought a smile to my face several times. Not the easiest mod, I would recommend you play the main game first. My favourite mod together with the next one:

- IR (W.I.P.): No wonder this was created by a design intern! An eerie setting, the feel of a finished area, and lots of dialogue make this the best mod yet. Don't miss this one!

I hope I didn't bore anyone with that list.

P.S. Found 105 feathers in main game total. Anyone got any more?
#
Anne 11 years ago
Hi Geoffrey! You're now officially our record-breaker in finding the most silver feathers! Hooray! (You've found more than I have - and I've hidden most of them myself! (I don't know if that says more about my cunningly advanced hiding skills or my less-than-perfect memory?)

Thanks for the mod list! I know that an update is expected quite soon at least to Return to Valmor. Judging from the screens I've seen, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'll tip Pete about maybe adding some torches in the beginning of Port Potomac (or possibly forcing it to use our old lighting system, if that seems like a better solution). I do remember I enjoyed the adventure back when Pete released it.

I'll have to tell our game design intern Lauri about your nice words about IR. I know he'll be thrilled - and he's very happy to receive feedback by the way, so don't hesitate to press the letter F in IR if you have something you want to share with Lauri.

By the way, we've heard of several interesting mods that are currently on the way. I'm looking forward to hearing more about them, and getting to try them out!

Edited 11 years ago
#
ChuckV 11 years ago
Hello Geoffrey,

I am the author of the Return to Valmor mod. Thanks for your comment, do you mean that the minimap is broken and doesn't show where you are? Is that outside or in the cave? As you suggest, it could be due to the version differences since it was released a while ago.

I actually got back to working on the mod more seriously recently, I expect to post an updated version with the second area sometimes in April, and it will be compatible with the new tilted camera viewpoint (Which didn't originally exist).

And yeah, don't hesitate to send feedback.

P.S. 105 silver feather? That is a lot, I think I never got more than 90.

- Edit: I just went and looked at it and yes, the minimaps are screwed up because of an incompatibility with the way the newer versions of the game handles minimaps, that will be fixed in the next version of the mod. -

Edited 11 years ago
#
Endymion 11 years ago
I really should update my mods(surprisingly Dungeon test works mostly as intended besides the insanely slow movement speed due to lack of friction setting in races.dat, Trials on the other hand requires a bit more work). At the moment I'm hoping I might have time to do that early next month. If things go really well I might even get a brand new mod to a playable state assuming I can avoid getting too ambitious with it.
#
Pete 11 years ago
Im kind of loathe to go back to Potomac, to be honest; the second I stop hiding behind the "2009 style!" excuse, there are many, many things to fix and update in there, and I already have trouble finding motivation for making new things, let alone fixing old stuff.

We'll see.

procrastinate ho!

Glad you liked Revenge of Bibbi, though

Edited 11 years ago
#
SuffNorgh 11 years ago
Wow, thanks Geoffrey! I am really pleased that my mod is in your opinion the best with Revenge of Bibbi. And it's outstanding to me that ÏR has more downloads than RoB, since in my own opinion RoB is the one and only best. Sorry about the late response!
#
Firky (guest) 11 years ago
Hi modders,

I've been mucking around with the editors and just learning by feel. But it's a slow process. The wiki isn't very detailed yet. Is there anywhere people are discussing this tool or any other useful info anyone has found? Maybe I've just missed some instruction.

#
Anne 11 years ago
Firky (guest) said:
Hi modders,

I've been mucking around with the editors and just learning by feel. But it's a slow process. The wiki isn't very detailed yet. Is there anywhere people are discussing this tool or any other useful info anyone has found? Maybe I've just missed some instruction.

True, the modding wiki is far from comprehensive yet, but it's getting better, slowly, and steadily.

Being a new modder, you're bound to run into some questions, and you're very welcome to ask for help here on our forums, or directly from us (F opens up our feedback form also in the editor, WHEN you're test playing your level - and that's a very easy way to send us a print screen from your mod).

I also think it's generally very useful to take a close look at how things are done in the maps of the main game. If you want to inspect them, here's a good way to do it:

-Start a new mod and close Driftmoon.
-(Outside Driftmoon now, in Windows explorer or the equivalent) Copy some of Driftmoon's maps from the Driftmoon/n/mainmod/maps directory of the game, and paste them under the new mod folder you just created (whatever you named it). Your own new mod files are located wherever you've saved them yourself when creating a new mod.
-Start Driftmoon again, and start exploring around in the level(s) you just copied under your new mod!

And remember, asking questions is allowed! We're very keen on supporting our modders, and interested in seeing what they come up with.

Edited 11 years ago
#
Firky (guest) 11 years ago
Examining your maps is a good idea. Thanks!

I've got a vague handle on level, terrain, objects and items, but only at a basic level, like how to place and manipulate.

Maybe I'll get some questions together, then start a new thread, so this one doesn't get overrun.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Firky (guest) said:
Examining your maps is a good idea. Thanks!

I've got a vague handle on level, terrain, objects and items, but only at a basic level, like how to place and manipulate.

Maybe I'll get some questions together, then start a new thread, so this one doesn't get overrun.

Sounds good!
#
SuffNorgh 11 years ago
Actually there is no need to close the game for that. You can place those maps in the folder while you are in the editor or anywhere when the game is on.
#
Forum » A look at the available Driftmoon mods

Your email:
Your name: