Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Modder's Coalition (ATTENTION ALL MODDERS)
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Modder's Coalition (ATTENTION ALL MODDERS)

ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    OK, here's an idea I have been formulating for a while as a way to give the whole modding community a boost.
    I'm proposing something that would be called the Notrium Modders Coalition. Basically it would be a system for allowing other members to use your ideas, graphics, sounds etc, in exchange for you being able to use the ideas, graphics etc of other members in the Coalition. Being a member of the coalition would in theory be a big bonus, as you would at any one time have unlimited access to a huge amount of modding material.
    Now, I know a few members could have qualms about letting other members use their ideas/graphics etc, but think of it this way: sure, you have your ideas used by others, but I think the gains would far outweigh the loses, as in return you would have access to dozens of mods, not just yours.
    I'm especially calling on the advanced modders (Quanrian, Casanova, Ubberwaffe, etc) to join; I think if the forum leaders sign up peer pressure will work on any greedy members who would want to keep all their ideas to themselves rather than share them.

So, who would join? If this idea becomes successful, we could even try to see if Ville could put a little "Modder's Coalition" banner above the avatar of the members.

To sign up to the Coalition, please copy this message and post here:

I, ______ hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    a) I have already made a mod, OR
    b) have made a CONSIDERABLE contribution in the form of Graphics/Ideas/Scripts/Code.
    c) I will willingly share my modding ideas, graphics, sound effects etc to other members of the Coalition,
    d) If I use any ideas, graphics, sound effects from another Coalition member, I will credit them in my mod.

If you have any questions, please ask them. If anything they will make this idea a lot better.

The members iof the Coalition so far are:
    [list]Ville
    ZeXLR8er!!
    Forceuser
    Idiota
    Uberwaffe
    Maverix
    Toko
    Roburky
    Inane
    MageKing17
    Thaimodz
    Erendor
    White Bear
    Slinking Ferret
    The Gemini
    DRL
    NosBOI
    [/list:u]
    These members have the right to use and share each others material as long as they like.

Ammended 1 time: 21/2/05:
    #
    ForceUser 19 years ago
    I, ForceUser hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    b) have made a CONSIDERABLE contribution in the form of Graphics/Ideas/Scripts/Code.
    c) I will willingly share my modding ideas, graphics, sound effects etc to other members of the Coalition,
    d) If I use any ideas, graphics, sound effects from another Coalition member, I will credit them in my mod.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    I, Idiota, hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    UberWaffe 19 years ago
    Zex, why do you keep mistyping my name?

I, UberWaffe hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:

I have no objection to anyone using my materials from my mod. That was my original intention, as long as I get credit. As in cash credit! No, not really. Just credit in your mod.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    I, Marevix, hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:

I welcome everyone here to use the one graphic I used in my mod as much as they like. Long live the coalition!
    #
    Toko 19 years ago
    I, toko hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I'll give you my permission too, although you all know it's been given a while ago.

I, Ville Mönkkönen hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:

Will you take up names in the first post Zex?
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    I, roBurky, hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    Inane 19 years ago
    Hey, Can i still join even if all i have are ideas?

I might make a few graphics or something at a later time though .
    Also this would pressure me into putting more ideas out there .

If i am allowed to join, I, Inane, hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    I, MageKing17, hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    a) I am in the process of making a mod, OR
    b) have made, and will make, a CONSIDERABLE contribution in the form of Graphics/Ideas/Scripts/Code.

I would have thought that would be a no-brainer, eh?
    #
    Rokan'sharp'claw 19 years ago
    Hey just a question can I join even though I haven't finnished my mod yet I can make mods and all but mine mod take much work but if you agree then
    I, Rokan'sharp'claw hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    I, Thaimodz hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    White Bear 19 years ago
    I, White Bear hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:

i haven`t released none of my mod coz sometimes i come to these problems:
    1. No home page (yet)
    2. bug whats sourse i dont find and i blow my mod away...
    3. just a test purphose mod to train my self
    #
    erendor 19 years ago
    I, erendor, hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    a) I am in the proccess of making a mod, OR
    #
    Hey just a suggestion why don't we all the members of the coalition work on one single mod it would be great just a suggestin anyway.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    A big team on one project would be interesting, as a huge mod could get done in 2 days over the weekend. But it'd be difficult making sure we all had the right version, we'd need to have the leader say, 'v.6532 will be sent to MageKing17 for the new cryo-freeze screen distortion effect, nobody do anything until he's done.' every 3 minutes.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Marevix" said:
    A big team on one project would be interesting, as a huge mod could get done in 2 days over the weekend. But it'd be difficult making sure we all had the right version, we'd need to have the leader say, 'v.6532 will be sent to MageKing17 for the new cryo-freeze screen distortion effect, nobody do anything until he's done.' every 3 minutes.
    You could just say "MageKing17, finish that cryo-freeze screen distortion effect and upload the code. Marevix, finish the weapons loadout and upload the code. Uberwaffe, we need that flight script done and uploaded." Then, we have the project leader (probably ZeX) copy all of the uploaded code into .dat files and put it into a working mod. Since the project leader doesn't do anything else, they also have to fix any bugs that show up.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    'Guess that could work too. We're a bit off-topic though.
    #
    Inane 19 years ago
    Isnt there a program that lets you share certain files with other IP addresses?

And marevix, How is this off-topic if it has everything to do with it ?
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Best way to get this done is to use instant messenger that supports creating private chat rooms and the transfer of files between members. Setting up an FTP would also be needed to quickly distribuite a file to multiple members.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    I guess programs like Concurrent Version System or Subversion are not valid choices....
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    If you can get a server for that purpose, then yes. I'd love to have one of those myself, this server only runs the website.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    So is this cooperative mod going to be done? I can setup a public ftp and chat room for those involved.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    It needs someone on the lead I think. Someone who really wants to get it done, and will bug people long enough to make them do something.
    #
    Well my idea is that good? lol anyway I think it probably is the purpose (or should be)of a coalition don't you think?
    Vote on my poll united mod if you agree.

P.S this isn't spam or nuthin is it?

WHUPS Sorry guys guess I wasen't thinking when I posted this I forget stuff way to easy srry
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Anyways, If could be in charge of organizing the thing, but I would prefer if peopl would first state if they want to help or not.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Pulling this off would require you to be very active. First you would need to ask who would be with you on the holy crusade, then you would settle on the mod idea, and finally pull it off with meticulous organizing efforts.

If we can somehow make a collaborative mod, I guarantee to give it maximum publicity.
    #
    White Bear 19 years ago
    ok...

i post a new topic if you all want to make one mod together

does everyone got MSN or WINDOWS MESSENGER?
    coz that enables easy chat over net

shoud we leave our msn here or shoud we send our msn as PM?

send your wote as:
    YES
    or
    NO

ps. i hope all wotes yes
    #
    slyvena 19 years ago
    Which one is yes and which one is no
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    And for support, I reopened NOLF w/o NOL. And can provide closed forum for the Coalition. (same URL as before)
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I strongly believe the best chance a mod getting made is being done in a Wiki type format where people add things in turn. Will this create a fantastic mod ? It probably wont, but it will help highlight the problems that can and will arrive in any group effort to create a mod. That way when you guys figure out a serious direction to take a mod in you'll end up with something alot more polished.

It took me a while to figure out what kind of stuff Ville would work with and what he'd end up sending me back edited, and than I'd edit it again and send it back. As amusing as that may sound it does slow you down. So it's best for you guys to figure what everyone's strengths and weaknesses are in modding and how everyone will bend or wont bend.

So just start from scratch, a mod with nothing in it. Create an overall theme and just start adding stuff from there in turns. It shouldn't be too difficult to put out at least an alpha. Throughout this process by people editing others work you'll all become alot more comfortable with working with each other. If I believed I could actively contribute I would join the Coalition, but currently I find myself bogged down with alot I've yet to finish yet.
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    Attention, everyone.

Please register to my humble site:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thaimodz.net/forum/index.php">http://www.thaimodz.net/forum/index.php</a><!-- m -->

I've added the modders' coalition forum in it, exclusively for coalition members.
    #
    slinking_ferret 18 years ago
    ill join
    #
    LunaticNeko 18 years ago
    Is it bad to bump?

I think there are many modders who didn't notice this thing.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    I, The Gemini hereby sign up to the Coalition, accepting that:
    #
    Forum » The Modder's Coalition (ATTENTION ALL MODDERS)
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: