Register
Email: Password:
Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • AETAS Discussion Thread

The Gemini 18 years ago
    Just out of boredom, I made a new map, based on Idiota's. This one have several nebulae, borders and a gridsystem. It lacks coordinates and system names however.

#
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Gah... That looks too small...

Also, there is no nebula where the Bermuda System is supposed to be...
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    Well, I don't know about the exact locations of systems in AETAS exept the UFDC.

Also, about the size, one can allways make it bigger!
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Everyone announced their starting location in this thread. Just go dig 'em up!
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Actually, I never said where Zahibata and Mohimoto's station is.

It's the sole sign of civilization in a system filled with asteroids and is somewhere near the Dalgun.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Correction: Everyone who had a character BEFORE THE 100-YEAR JUMP announced THAT CHARACTER'S starting location and stuff like that.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    Out of pure boredom, I made the UFDC national flag:

EDIT:
    OK, so can everyone post your startinglocation? I'm just too bored to dig 'em up. Also add how many starsystems you own.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    I repeat, I want every empireplayer to post their location here now, so that I or someone else can make a map.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Garret's current location is in the Dalgûn "library", although his starting location was the Bermuda System, which is in between the middle and the inner rim, somewhat NNW from the galactic core.

And no, I do not know where the Dalgûn really are, although I speculate them being somewhere in the outer rim, prehaps N or NNE from the galactic core... But still, it's up to Cejer to decide, since he controlls the Dalgûn.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    My empire is located in the middle rim, somewhere east of the core.
    #
    Murska 18 years ago
    My location is somewhere a bit close to your borders, on the opposite direction from where DDC once was. I don't actually think map is necessary, as we should have almost limitless chances to for example move an expedition out of the near areas where the gameplay is.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    The map should of course be big. It could be extended if we need it.
    #
    Murska 18 years ago
    Yea. It just to me seems to bit limit the freedom, like "There can't be that in between of that and that as there is that. It has to be there." By the way, could you imagine in the first EETEE(The crazy one) anybody suggesting a MAP and it would turn out to be like this?

EDIT: What if I want my empire to be on top of UFDC? Space is 3d, you know.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    What if I want my empire to be on top of UFDC? Space is 3d, you know.
    Yeah, but galaxies are usually quite flat, so if you want your empire to be unknown to the UFDC, I'd suggest you place your empire elsewhere.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    Problem is that a 3d map would be hard to make, and it would be harder to understand.

Personally, I think a map would make RP more easy.

However, a player shouldn't be restricted to the map. It should only show known space, and if a player explored outside known space, those newly discovered systems will be added to the map.

What that is important to remember is that even though a map would show every system in the RP, the person/empire a player plays would only know about a small portion of those systems.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Bah. Just visualize the galaxy yourself. What you wusses need a map fo'? ;P
    #
    Shingo 18 years ago
    Note: this will be subject to (very slight) editing until such time as I am thoroughly satisfied with it in it's entirety

Name: Kaske

Race: Tóràque’Naedaris

Hair: Silver-Grey

Eyes: Shifting from Emerald-hued Green to Prussian Blue to entirely Black or White and everything in between. The eyes of the Tóràque’Naedaris reflect the workings of their inner selves and souls.

Skin Color: White. Pure white. I believe that covers it.

Racial Description: The Tóràque’Naedaris were first formed when the Taroquian species was faced with a sudden onslaught of the Naradae. The Naradae are an aggressive-parasitic worm-like species that invaded the body of a suitable host and initiates a hostile takeover of the CNS (Central Nervous System… i.e. the brain, etc.) of the host. Side effects of this joining granted the resultant creature a far greater span of life than either of the two could have were they to live out their lives separately. Eventually they undergo a full metamorphosis with their host and given time their DNA begins to merge at the genetic level. Prior to the emergence of the Tóràque’Naedaris, no individual, much less race, ever allowed such “infected” individuals to survive the metamorphosis process. The Taroquian species was able to retain some semblance of control over their CNS due to their inherent ability empathic abilities that had only begun to manifest shortly before the Nariskun Crisis. The Naradae can bond only once ere they die. Through the years bloody war ensued between the separate species, neither able to claim victory over the other. In the last days of the war an apocalyptic battle in which the greater part of either army perished, left them both shattered and crushed. When hope was fading and the waters themselves were stained red with blood and choked with the bodies of the dead, the only surviving member of the Taroquian imperial family went to the Naradae under a flag of truce and there he bargained for the survival of the two kindred. And so it was that the Tóràque’Naedaris were born, born of a perfect union of symbiosis between the two.

Thus from the twain the one did henceforth spring.

Racial Traits:

Reincarnation of the Consciousness. It has long been propagated and believed by all of the Tóràque’Naedaris that although they may physically die, their true selves never leave the world and instead are absorbed into the Empathic collective of the species to await the day of it’s return.

Long life is granted to the Tóràque’Naedaris. Never has it been recorded that one of these individuals should die of mere age. Always it has been that their lives are brought to an end by violence, disease, famine, or climatic conditions. In a word, age means nothing to the Tóràque’Naedaris.

Hardiness is a trait shared equally by all the Tóràque’Naedaris. Once the species has been exposed to even the least new disease it spreads throughout them like wildfire. But once this initial plague has been survived, and a truly rare thing it is for any sickness to bring one of them down, it can never again pose as much of a danger to the species as a whole, due to their collective nature and internal sharing of experiences, as it did in it’s first coming.

Slightly stronger than average( And by this I mean noticeably above but nothing special. i.e the way a football player or other athlete who trains vigorously is stronger than the average non-athlete person, who isn’t weak, and exercises occasionally, etc etc... I can clarify more if needed.).

Telepathy – the entire species shares a collective link with their kindred as well as other life forms that are near them. This results in a group-joining which, depending upon the intentions of those involved can range from anywhere to a link so encompassing that it is as though a single mind and consciousness is shared to a faint link that would be akin to a brush of a fingertip against the other individual(s) involved in said link.

Symbiot… In this word can be described the main trait that involves the Tóràque’Naedaris. They are the ancestral offspring of a joining of the Taroquian and the Naradae species. The Toraquians having the same appearance that the Tóràque’Naedaris do today, except for the oddities in skin pigmentation and eye color. From the Naradae comes the greater majority of their telepathic powers, although it would seem that something in the genetic makeup of the Toraquians affected them in such a way that they quickly became adept in use of such powers and merely served to deepen and enhance them as the two species evolved more and more into one species as time went on. The Naradae were originally a sentient parasitic life form that dominated the consciousness and nervous system of their hosts and then re-joined into the collective hive-mind of the species.

Shared Memory – Each generation of Tóràque’Naedaris receive the collected memories of their ancestors and as they progress throughout their lives they also share and so receive the memories of their fellow Tóràque’Naedaris thus serving to enhance and expand their collective intelligence as the years pass. Some Tóràque’Naedaris can grasp these memories fully and relive them as if they were their own but equally so, some Tóràque’Naedaris reach for these memories that hover at the edge of their consciousness but are never able to more than fumble and reach in a futile hopeless glimpse them before the vanish from their minds eye as though they were smoke before a strong wind. Never has an individual of the Tóràque’Naedaris been separated totally from his kindred. Always the comfort of the bond been something that they could fall back upon in times of need and from which they might draw strength from and in turn give it to their brethren in their need. To be torn from such a link is indeed a terrible thing. How would it feel to be so empty… so terribly empty? Truly alone in a universe that you are not meant to experience by yourself. There would come a day in which you should look upon your life as though through a mirror. And then one must accept that this is all there is – a vast, all encompassing emptiness which must surely consume us all, from which there can be no escape, and then despair and choose death over such a life. Or they can choose to stop looking in mirrors and reflections…

Character history? As an infant Kaske was found aboard a dying starship by the Dalgûn. He has been raised among them as their own and eventually ascended to the rank of Fleet-Admiral due to his military Prowess. (Note: I’d like to develop this a bit further as I go, as that would be ever so much more enjoyable for everyone involved, in my humble opinion, although if someone is that curious that they must ask, I don’t believe telling a little more about my character would kill me.)
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    A rather nifty character profile you have there, Shingo.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    Your character is even older than the UFDC! Oh my...

Original character. I like that.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    That reminds me... I should post Lamia's history and the history of the Aegrus. >.>

Just so you know, I think Lamia is the oldest character in the RP currently. I think she predates pretty much all of your empires. ^-^
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    Well, one could make a case for that, Zombie. One could also say that since remembered experiences are necessary to recall lengths of time, your age is more dependant upon memories than physical age of a body.
    #
    Shingo 18 years ago
    Well, seeing as how I remember everything back fromt he point to when my species was created.... correct? And aren't I physically older than you as well?
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    Do not speak about that which you do not understand, Shingo. Zombie's comment is correct. I just decided to tease Zombie a little for boasting about it.
    #
    Shingo 18 years ago
    I will indeed concede the point, upon the premise that you obviously know things about Zombie and her character that I do not. Which is quite fair.

However, it is equally possible that you don't know everything about 'my' character. Thus, I could very well be correct in my aforementioned statement. Perhaps me and Zombie can/will clear the matter up?
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    It's simple: Forget about it and RP, damnit!
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    I’ve read over this and I feel rather bad. Originally this was going to be part of an AETAS post where I would also make some cutting remarks at Shingo’s character, but then I realized that most people probably could care less about all of this. So now it looks like a Zombie bashing fest, which was not my intent. Meh. I suppose I’m a little bitter that no one else has nearly the same ideas of ship combat as me. Sorry for any offense this may cause.

"Zombie" said:
    Ferals are capable of "shrugging off" mostly anything short of a killing blow.
    *Cejer once again rolls his eyes* Well, the thing about that is… all ships by their very nature can “shrug off” all attacks short of a killing blow. Because either you breach the hull with an attack or you don’t. The exceptions to this rule of thumb are ships equipped with cloaking or energy siphon systems, because these trap energy within the hull and prevent it from venting into space. In short, ship hulls don’t operate with a “hit-point” system. Instead it’s an all or nothing system: your weapons make it through, or they don’t. If your weapons get through there is a minor chance you hit a vital system. The only other option is to shatter the enemy hull so vital systems are no longer protected.

"Zombie" said:
    They are patchwork mechanics. Holes in the hull won't do too terribly much unless they are rather large. Their ships are always compartmentalized.
    Again, holes in the hull do very little to damage ANY ships, because all ships are assumed to have some sort of self-sealing mechanism to prevent atmosphere leaks. The only chance of significant damage is if the weapon that caused the hole hits some vital system or conducting wire. And compartmentalization is a very expensive (in terms of resources, time, and interior space) procedure. Essentially, you set up a system of airlocks within the ship so a major hull breach in one section of the ship doesn’t vent all of the ship’s atmosphere into space.

"Zombie" said:
    The cruiser, being a rather large patchwork monstosity, could shrug off the first nuke volley because of a very limited heat-dampening matrix. The field distributes heat evenly across the entire hull and vents it at several points. However, nuclear weapons have the tasty effect of causing the generator to explode.
    In such a case the cruiser would have been impervious to anything heat related short of nuclear weapons anyone threw at it, which was not, I believe, your intent. Second, the heat-dampening matrix would not take place quickly enough to negate nuclear weapons without massive back up from heat resistant hull. Enough so where anything short of nuclear weapons is again, ineffective.

"Zombie" said:
    Did you seriously expect it to be that easy to take down the Ferals?
    I’m guessing that you want the Ferals to be some sort of terrifying super-pirates that cut everyone down without mercy, but immense personal combat abilities have absolutely no bearing upon ship combat abilities, and in the Ferals’ case they probably interfere with ship combat. Until they manage to board, they’re just another race crewing a group of ships, vulnerable to the same tactics as everyone else.

"Zombie" said:
    Good idea with the projectile weaponry, though. Not only does that effectively circumvent the sensory jamming the Ferals have going, it also renders their energy shielding rather useless. See now why the Koneko isn't equipped with particle or projectile weaponry yet? Firing slugs through the cruiser would have ended the battle quickly, but then no one would learn much about the Ferals.
    Briefly answering the comments in order. Thank you. That’s the point of projectile weapons. Not really. Not really. I’m going to give a little more explanation now. The point of projectile weaponry is its consistency. Energy weapons have a wide range of effectiveness against enemy hull alloys and shielding methods, but armor piercing shells bypass both obstacles quite effectively. However, unless you get lucky and hit a vital system or a vital person, putting holes through the enemy ship doesn’t adversely affect performance. So the Dalgûn use explosive shells to shell enemy ships like peanuts. The shells explode shortly after passing through the enemy hull plating and blast the armor into space. Then the internal components are exposed and can be quickly destroyed with whatever the Dalgûn feel like using. Shells that spread out to deal a lot of damage are also stopped easily by armor, and so firing those before removing the armor plating is usually pointless. And I thought you mentioned that data was the last thing to be worried about. Wasn’t survival (and thus quick destruction of the Ferals) the highest priority?

"Zombie" said:
    They will learn from this battle, though. :3 They may be stupid, but that doesn't mean that they don't know how to properly fight and defend.
    Yes, but weapons don’t become less effective just because the enemies know the weapon exists. If they cannot produce better-armored ships, stronger shields, longer ranged sensors, etc, then whatever they learn about our weapons is fairly meaningless. And since such improvements take time, the only data that is useful to them is our tactics, which aren’t set in stone like our weapons are (well, for now anyway).
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    Cejer, what you've seen now is a carrier, along with some corvette class ships. We are having enough difficulty downing those things, what makes you think that a battleship or 2 will be as easily downed?

Also, please, stop being so real. AETAS isn't based off reality. I understand that you're having problems realizing that. Oraginality gets rewarded. Copying everything from real life doesn't. I don't want to play with more of a fantasy approach. Explosions in space and hitpoint armor and shielding are a part of that.

Edit: If I sound hateful, know that I'm not. :S
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Cejer, what you've seen now is a carrier, along with some corvette class ships. We are having enough difficulty downing those things, what makes you think that a battleship or 2 will be as easily downed?

I'm more concerned with the supposed difficulty we're having in downing this fleet. We're fighting ships less than half our size, from a group that has no heavy industry or heavy technological facilities. Being a "patchwork" fleet doesn't imply ships finely tuned to perfection. Being a "patchwork" fleet implies a lack of components that are needed and replacing them with bubble-gum and paper-clips. Excuse me if I think our (everyone's) finely tuned, perfected (as far as available technology goes), warships should be cleaving through them. This continues into my major point I've been arguing this whole time.

"Idiota" said:
    Also, please, stop being so real. AETAS isn't based off reality. I understand that you're having problems realizing that. Oraginality gets rewarded. Copying everything from real life doesn't. I don't [Guessing that doesn't belong] want to play with more of a fantasy approach. Explosions in space and hitpoint armor and shielding are a part of that.
    Right here I can tell we have a misunderstanding. I'm not trying to make AETAS based off of reality. If I were I'd be arguing that micro machine hulls and weapons could never work, that gravity manipulation is impossible, that no ship could survive a nuke volley, but I'm not. I'm arguing for consistency. If a ship is immune (or highly resistant) to one very high-yield nuke volley, that renders that ship immune to every energy weapon ever conceived. Is that realistic, sure, but that's not the point. It's consistent. I'm fine with us coming up with whatever laws of physics we want, as long as they apply consistently.

Second, originality gets rewarded, sure. But should it be required? If I spent the last two months honing my combat strategies to near perfection, should they become worthless the second time I try to use them because they're no longer original? I'm thinking that if some empire is more powerful than another, the only ways that changes is if the powerful empire does something really stupid, or if the weaker empire does something smart enough to counter the stronger empire. If the stronger empire continues its original tactics it should not be penalized, because those were obviously effective enough to gain the upper hand.
    Another point is original, but foolish, tactics. This is why we need consistency. If someone's weapons are completely ineffective, and then they execute a perfect flanking maneuver are fire with the same weapons, is there any reason why that should work?
    In conclusion, I'm NOT arguing for a realistic set of physics, I'm arguing for a consistent set of physics.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    But you aren't. And you're not thinking properly.

You insist that if it can shrug off a single nuclear strike, it's impervious to all energy weapons. If they were only fired in single shots, that would be true. But who the hell only fires energy weapons in single shots? You'd be pounding them constantly with fire. They can't dissipate that heat fast enough, and it builds up. It continues to build up, until they either forcefully vent it (like the Koneko did), or... kaboom.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    Feral ships can't forcefully vent heat past a certain point. Also, the matrix is heat-dampening. Not energy dampening. It also can only withstand one or two nuclear volleys at best.

The Feral ships arn't too terribly strong, it is just that they have superior numbers and often have incredibly resilient armor to facilitate easier boarding of enemy ships.

I've said this numerous times. I've also repeatedly stated that the Feral hulls are incredibly thick and that scans on them are rendered useless due to jamming. If we had sensory data on the ships instead of just hard combat data then yes, we would probably be mowing down the Feral ships like a child devours candy on halloween night. But we don't so we arn't. The larger Feral ships are also always more resilient than the smaller ships, no matter if they are built to board or not. It would, probably, be far easier to eliminate every smaller Feral ship and then blow the cruiser into pieces than to try to eliminate the cruiser outright.

If you were a highly nomadic and highly destructive race of immortal (until killed) mutants, then would you waste resources on making your larger ships easily destroyable?
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    Alright, I’m going to arrogantly deny any fault, yet concede that this topic is not worth arguing about. Partly because 3/5s of the council is now united against me on this. Partly because I just don’t feel like fully explaining everything and I’m convinced you’d agree if I did.

However, I still recommend that we are consistent in how we enforce the “laws of physics” in the AETAS galaxy.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    Well, from now on the nuclear missiles will do appropriate damage at impact site, but be rendered incapable of doing much damage past impact site because of heat dampening matrixies on larger Feral ships. One nuclear attack destroys standard size Feral heat dampening matrix generators. Once the heat dampening is removed, the hull will melt away in large sections as it should.

Is that agreeable?
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    Hmm, to begin with, might I suggest we all adopt a new convention so we put all sizable AETAS related Off-Topic posts in here, the AETAS discussion thread? It would keep the actual role-play from being cluttered up with discussions, and this poor little thread wouldn’t be suffering from neglect anymore. *snicker* I’m a little disappointed that after six days in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, USA) I’m not rushing to catch up to at least a page of new posts.

Next, Shingo, the first time the Ferals showed up they did create player-to-player interaction. Or are you forgetting that Kaske, Lamia, Garo, and a sizable portion of the Dalgûn fleet are at a battle… area where all three empires were fighting the Ferals? NPC’s are generally acceptable if they promote interaction and the empires have been doing boring things that nobody cares about. Finally, because this is my particular idiom for critiquing spelling errors, who are these lowercase ‘F’ ferals you were talking about? I only know of the upper-case ‘F’ Ferals.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    I had intended the Ferals to spur player-to-player interaction. As Lamia can't very well take on the entire Feral force on her own, she'll need help. The Ferals also threaten pretty much everyone. As they are rather ruthless and such, taking on Ferals alone is not particularly intelligent by anyone... So, there will most likely be times when two perfect enemies find themselves faced with the decision to help their enemy defeat the Ferals or to help the Ferals defeat their enemies and then risk being destroyed by the Ferals.

Anyone can spawn a Feral attack for themselves... And if you wish, I can even narrate the Feral's actions for you. They're a tool, mainly, to help RP take unexpected turns and such.

Also, I noted that no one really interacts with pirates much. I think my little spat with pirates was the first pirate interaction in the history of the AETAS. That is sad. Pirates, mind you, are everywhere in a space-faring civilization.

Ferals may even follow pirates around. Use them to find meals and recruits. They may want to kill everything that isn't a Feral, but they at least know how to follow prey to get it to lead them to other prey.

The Ferals are only as useful or as creative as we all, collectively, make them. They arn't mine or yours, they are everyone's. They are, in effect, a universal NPC empire. Just like pirates. They will attack everyone and hold no allegiances however... This is the major difference from pirates. Trying to negotiate with a Feral is like trying to convince a incoming plasma stream to not hit you. It won't work unless you have superior defense and a offense to stop the stream.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    So it's going rather slow?

To join or not to join...
    #
    Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: