Register
Email: Password:
Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • AETAS Discussion Thread

Thaif 17 years ago
    Steampunk = Yay! Mainly because it has a special kind of attraction, I mean, who wouldn't want a mechanical hissing prosthetic or a space ship run by steam. I sure would.

On a side note: Visit Teh Wikipedia, for Steam engine and/or Stirling engine. There is some interesting stuff that may spark your imagination.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Thaif" said:
    Steampunk = Yay! Mainly because it has a special kind of attraction, I mean, who wouldn't want a mechanical hissing prosthetic or a space ship run by steam. I sure would.
    I wouldn't mind it. I would prefer cyber-implants that allow me to move and react at five times normal speed and see through walls, though.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Yeah, I can understand that. Although, I'd prefer if we avoided the whole power trip entirely and played John or Jane Doe who just happen to be in the right place at the right time, the right place in the wrong time, the wrong place in the right time, and sometimes the wrong place in the wrong time. I think neither failure nor character death should be unknown. Sometimes the best moments are when your character slips off the rickety bridge and plummets into the magma below, screaming the whole way down.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Thaif" said:
    I wouldn't mind it. I would prefer cyber-implants that allow me to move and react at five times normal speed and see through walls, though.

That's more sci-fi than cyberpunk, again. Cyberpunk, much like steampunk, is very realistic in the aspect of technology, so basically, if you can't explain WHY you move 5 times fastr, you can't do it. Also, the main spect of cyberpunk aren't implants to make you better, but instead devices (and/or implants) that allow you to connect to a cyberworld. The whole cyberpunk theme started out from hacker stories, mind you.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    I think you all have to read in wikipedia about steam- and cyberpunk before you make your decision.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Cyberpunk is not about the technology. It's about the darkness of the world, the big corporations, the 'money buys everything' attitude, the drugs, ...

Steampunk is more about technology, because the technology is a lot farther away from what we're used to, so descriptions etc are fundamental.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Yesh, cybepunk is mostly about the dystopian setting.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Soooo... Let's have Steampunk AETAS? :3
    #
    Barebones 17 years ago
    Steampunk is art to me. Nuff' said.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    It would be fun to try out a new setting.

Aye!
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    It seems that we've decided on a Steampunk feel. Now comes another important choice, what terrain do we want? After all, role-playing in the fertile fields of (insert name) is much different from role-playing in frozen tundra. I suggest we each get two votes for whatever type of terrain you'd like. Then we total up the numbers and form a patch-work abomination that is a crime against geography.

If that is agreed upon, I vote once for mountains, and I vote once for forests.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    I vote fer desert (the plain sand type that is hot) and forest (Green! GREEN!!! Although not the very dense type, please.) and then go to sleep.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Desert and islands/water area.
    #
    Barebones 17 years ago
    A mountainous world made half out of gold with a dense cloud cover that only precipitates around the equator.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Barebones" said:
    A mountainous world made half out of gold with a dense cloud cover that only precipitates around the equator.
    That looks too cold
    I prefer grim's choice, it looks warmer
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Arctic. DEFINETLY arctic. And wastelands! Arctic wastelands!

...Actually, that last one wasn't such a good idea.
    #
    Murska 17 years ago
    Icy mountains/hills, desert.

Very hot or very cold.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Uh, just to explain my idea a little more clearly... If we end up using my idea, I (or anyone) will tally all up all the votes for terrain. The end result might be mountains: 2, forest: 3, desert: 3, artic: 2. Then I (or anyone) will make a map that has about 20% mountains, 30% forest, 30% desert, and 20% artic.

And it's perfectly fair to vote twice for the same terrain. It's also perfectly fair to choose your votes based on what has already been voted on in the posts before your vote.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Then i change my vote to two arctic!
    #
    Barebones 17 years ago
    Can our world be shaped like a coin?
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Three-sided coin, you mean?
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    Three-sided? Like walking on the little edge of the coin? That'd be interesting.

... Yes, I do read this sometimes.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    The three-sided coin was in Magebane.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    One vote arctic, one vote forest.
    #
    Thaif 17 years ago
    Definitely Arctic and Forest(Lots of snowy Pine trees)
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    I'm not voting, but it seems to be going into the right direction.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    I've tallied up the votes (with a bit of guessing what people who kind of voted would've voted for) and I've created a fairly boring little map (compared to what I might end up doing for my own use in something different).
    Anyway, here is my first map that followed your votes. Take a look, suggest some changes, and we can go from there.

Key:
    Icy blue: Artic
    Light Gray-Black: Mountains (darker color=higher)
    Green: Forest
    Light Brown: Desert
    Blue: Water
    Light Green: Island
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Seems a bit small. Those look like single mountains.
    #
    Murska 17 years ago
    And there are no grasslands or fields?
    #
    Thaif 17 years ago
    The Landscape looks...well, localised, but othervice it's good that the map was even made. I hope this isn't the first and only draft.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    And there are no grasslands or fields?
    Correct, because no-one used a vote to include grasslands or fields. I don't think you've voted yet, (I guessed your votes as 1 arctic and 1 desert) so you could vote to include some grasslands or fields if you want to.

"Crazy" said:
    Seems a bit small. Those look like single mountains.
    "Thaif" said:
    The Landscape looks...well, localised, but othervice it's good that the map was even made. I hope this isn't the first and only draft.
    Yeah, I'm not planning on making a world map. I'll stick to small regions, although I may create a continent if another person complains about the size. We do need to limit our location a bit though, so a world map is probably overkill.

And this map is not going to be the only draft, and I think it's pretty poor quality. I rushed it out to get people talking about what they'd like to have.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Well, I think the map is too small, too.

Now make a continent map and include some grasslandsy things there.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Second map is up. It's not really a continent, but I did add a little bit of grassland. And so you know, all of the maps will be crappy ones until we decide on a general shape. Then I (or someone else) will work on smoothing out the map, changing minor things, etc.

Key:
    Blue: Water
    Cyan: Arctic
    Dark Green: Forest
    Gray: Mountains
    Green: Grasslands
    Yellow: Desert
    Teal: Island-like (Beaches/tropical trees)
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    It's shaped like an eating snake. If I were to try to join again (Which I'm seriously considering), I wouldn't mind. Actually, it'd make for some interesting wordplay, IMO.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    I didn't like the fact that Cejer ignored a whole bunch of geographical rules.

So i made my own map!

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9426/mapqx8.jpg

North Plains: Obviously the artic area. Has a mountain range in it, creating some change in otherwise a rather bland flat landscape. The area differs much, ranging form rather large cities to small fisherman villages to lone hts for those that don't want to be found. Since the large plains and lack of law enforcment make it very difficult to find someone, it's a criminal's last resort. Why last? Well, it's really freaking cold.

Fenwir mountains: Despite all odds, not an unpopulated area. I son't have much figured out for it. As it would be the area of choice for dwarves, perhaps we could populate it with scandinavian-like people. Y'know.. vikings with pickaxes instead of longboats. The fjord coast would make such an arrangement even more interesting.

Oslaend: I figured this to be something like northern Europe.

Eastern & Western Hewthorn: Not much tought given to this. Very dense forests. Oh, and by "light" forest i means something more like the steppes.

Carsforst plains: Perfect area for crops and farming. Which is the reason it's the most populated area on the map. Filled with warring city-states, this area is almost completly covered with fields and is the leading industrial area. This makes many of the surrounging areas dependant on their produce. In return, the city-states receive huge amounts of money, providing fuel for the gears of war and technological advance. I've figured out a few alliances between the city-states and that certain city-states swear by certain war machines (such as artillery, air force (separate from airships), infantry etc.).

I figured i could do a more detailed map of a certain area if anyone is interested. Also, beautify them a bit, since i'm not at all happy with how this map looks.
    #
    Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: