Register
Email: Password:
Forum » How to kill those fething Ice Trolls?...and MB2 for DnD

How to kill those fething Ice Trolls?...and MB2 for DnD

Aktariel 18 years ago
How do you kill those darned ice trolls or whatever they are that are sent by your god to punish you. I keep beating my head against the wall with different combinations of skills and wind up just as dead. Help!??!

On another note, I've created a rough equivalent of the three mages and some new rules concerning their magical tie for 3.5 DnD. It's ok to use them as long as I pay homage to Ville for the concept and don't actually make money off it, yes? What exactly are the guidelines here?

Kickarse game by the way

Ak
#
ville 18 years ago
I can't really remember how it was with the trolls. I think the tactic to use was to kill them one at the time, as they had regeneration. So concentrate all your fire on one of the buggers, and he should drop dead in no time.

What have you exactly created, and what is it for?
#
Idiota 18 years ago
He recreated the mages from Magebane 2 in a Dungeons and Dragons universe and asks wether it is ok. He also asks what are is the license agreement of Magebane 2.
#
Aktariel 18 years ago
Will try that. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, that's a clearer way to put it.
#
ville 18 years ago
If you're only using them for yourself and maybe your friends, I don't mind. If you want to use the characters or other elements of the game in any bigger production, you need to ask for permission.
#
Aktariel 18 years ago
Stet.

It's just a small DnD group I'm using them in right now, and I have no plans to spread it around any more. I will certainly ask first if I change the scope of their use.
#
Aktariel 18 years ago
More Questions:

I finally got to what I think is the last level - the one with the traitorous alchemist and the wizard of Oalos - and I'm stuck. I can't kill the wizard without killing the alchemist, right? But I keep dying before I can even kill the Alchemist. Can I kill the wizard without magic at all? Just punch him to death? Does Avenger Fist work on him?

Hpw do I beat this fething level? And is it even the last one?

In n00bn3ss sh4/\/\3,

Ak
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
You could always use the invulnerability cheat...
#
Aktariel 18 years ago
Which is what?

POSSIBLE SPOILER< F9 quits the game and F10-12 do nothing at all>POSSIBLE SPOILER

I tried this in the wizard level, and noticed the Heart of evil, but is that not already there? Did I overlook it before, or was it the result of trying the upper F keys?
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
I was pretty sure it was one of those, but it might be in the F5-F8 range... I mean, I just tried them all...
#
Aktariel 18 years ago
Eh..will try it eventually. Either way, I beat it about two hours ago...great fun. God-slaying and all
#
Guest (guest) 11 years ago
Despite this game is something like 10 years old for I play it nowadays.. Good game though. It was hard to beat the swamps but I finally I made it. Now I have trouble with that ucking wizard and alchemist final battle.

Is it possible to beat 'em without invulnerability cheat? I dont like use cheats. What is the strategy?

Sorry for necroposting but I found only this discussion board about this game...

Thanks
m4k
#
ville 11 years ago
Ooh, Magebane 2! I can't remember anything specific to that level. Anyone else?

You might also want to try out Driftmoon, it's got a lot of the same ingredients as Magebane had.

Edited 11 years ago
#
Firstly I should beat MB2

http://lh3.ggpht.com/fltcejiFkw9ldMYOeJHvYX1wsSbYcf9UukVuljme7godZAP6HiGCrE5kSS77XQjVwysuVqmCbESNBmG1CZmTwm1uR55W=s0 this is the screenshot of the last (at least I think so) lvl from your site. I hope it helps you to remember.

I like good old games, and I think MB2 rules. I hope I beat it without cheating. But for now it seems impossible for me...
#
ville 11 years ago
Ooh, that battle! Still can't seem to recall what the best strategy was though. Possibly to take them out one at the time? Or to let the tank character distract the other one? Or lure one of them into a corner?
#
To finish that lvl you must kill alchemist. The strategy (long but effective) I chose was to take a brawler, pick up the heart and beat alchemist in the most upper part of the room. Healer and mage monks were taken to the lowest part of the room so wizard and alchemist won't see them and thus won't hurt them (They are easily killed by 5 wizard strikes, and healer monk are really weak in healing and have a little mana). That took long time really, but at the end, i beat alchemist while all of monks stayed alive. After that there are 2 more levels to finish the game. I did the same on both of them and finished the game!

The only problem of this game (a bug maybe) was that I never saved the game. Autosave were enough. But when you finish it once it asks you if you want to play it once more but on a harder level. I chose yes and closed the game as soon as it started (I didn't have enough time to play it more). But on another day I started the game and the harder level didn't load. Autosave was broken... So that was it. I didn't want to start it from the very begining to achieve the harder mode once more. Who knnows, maybe the same problem is in Driftmoon.

Anyway I had fun. Thank you for MB2!
#
ville 11 years ago
Congrats on beating it!

There is a problem with the save function in Magebane 2. It was designed before the modern operating systems disallowed writing to program files folder, so the easiest way to get the save games working is to install it to any other folder than program files, for example C:/games/magebane

The saved games in Driftmoon work well, so no worries there.

Edited 11 years ago
#
Thank you!

I installed in E:/gmz/magebane ... Maybe the problem was with using Win7. But I think it was with starting harder mode and quitting before beating at least first level to get stats screen at where it has to make new autosave. Just guessing though.
#
ville 11 years ago
That could be it, it didn't get the chance to make the save yet. I would fix it, had I the time. If anyone is interested, I'll gladly release the source code for Magebane 2.
#
Amarth 11 years ago
Always interested, but your previous games are a pain to compile, with the older DirectX versions no longer supported by Microsoft and the newer API not being backwards compatible. I don't think anyone managed to compile already? Will Magebane 2 be any different?
#
ville 11 years ago
It's DirectX 8, I reused the engine code for most of those old games. If you need the DirectX 8 SDK, I've still got it.
#
Amarth 11 years ago
I'm not entirely sure it's strictly legal to distribute an old DirectX SDK. If it is, I'd definitely want it.

If it isn't, I'd want it to, but I wouldn't dare to ask of course. Cough. Wink.
#
Forum » How to kill those fething Ice Trolls?...and MB2 for DnD

Your email:
Your name: