Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Who says wazzal is original?

Who says wazzal is original?

kamatsu 18 years ago
I'm sorry, but the concept of wazzal has not only been done elsewhere, but it has been done better. Cornutopia released an excellent game called Flatspace a while back, it does everything wazzal does and more. The only exception is the ability to have a fleet, which disturbingly reeks of Pirates.

Once again, ville, you've proven yourself to be a bit shoddy with your game creation. Your games are good, but they lack the professional sheen that other great freeware games have. Notrium is good, but crimsonland, for example, makes much better use of the grim engine's abilities. Wazzal is good, but it lacks the features present in games such as Freelancer or Flatspace to make it a hit, and forge is terrible. I was a regular contributor to The Battle For Wesnoth (also free), and it's much more professional than any of your games.
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
Who cares whether or not Ville's games are professional; they're GOOD!

AFAIK most people who make games have started with something simple (or simplish or whatev), usually an idea taken from somewhere else. Then they might continue this way for a while, and finally, make an original game (or at least a very, VERY good one).

Also, take a look at the concept of Cormoon... Has THAT been done elsewhere, hmm?
#
Crazy 18 years ago
yes.
#
Pete 18 years ago
Well. That guy has one post. He have probably joined just to say that.

OK, so its not original. Who cares? I spend playing Notrium for 1 month clear time, and that is more than other freeware games have accomphished combined.
"kamatsu" said:
Notrium is good, but crimsonland, for example, makes much better use of the grim engine's abilities.

THAT is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Correct me if Im wrong, but Crimsonland is just crazy shooter. Good when you have to get stream out, but is it really better game to play? And yeah, those ion guns things were nice and all, but thats not what make game a good game for me.
#
MageKing17 18 years ago
In answer to his topic question, when did any of us say Wazzal was original? Seriously, I doubt anyone actually made that claim (and if someone did, it sure as hell wasn't Ville). Besides, I know professional games that lack a professional sheen. Sometimes it actually depends on your screen resolution. True story: I was playing Freespace 2 in 640x480 resolution. Good graphics (great, with FSO), good interface, all very professional. Then I switched it to 1024x768 mode and it seemed somehow... diminished. Unfinished. Lacking something.
#
ville 18 years ago
Wazzal is by no means original, if you look at a classic called Asteroids, you'll find pretty similar gameplay. The plot parts are modeled after a game called Star Control 2, which I highly recommend by the way.
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
Me too. That game just pwns.
#
MageKing17 18 years ago
I recommend the Ur-Quan Masters, which is the fan-enhanced version of SC2. You can find it at Home of the Underdogs. And now I think this topic has been exhausted.
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
Yes, UQM is better version. I advice you to get it from it's homepage: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sc2.sourceforge.net/">http://sc2.sourceforge.net/</a><!-- m -->
#
Crazy 18 years ago
yeah, thats where the underdogs links yer to.

This had better be worth the D/L...
#
ville 18 years ago
Come on guys, this is not supposed to be a conversation about Star Control.
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
Fine...

As it has been said before, Wazzal might not be original, but it is fun to play at least. And so is Notrium (and hopefully Cormoon). Forge might be slightly amusing for a while, but it is quick to loose it's shine, I know that.
#
Potatoe 17 years ago
This thread is just kinda dumb don't you think? And Wazzal I think isn't that good. I haven't played it that much, but Notrium on the other hand, is just purely amazing, it even beats some comercial games, best or one of the best freeware games, ever. Suomalaista laatu työtä.
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Potatoe" said:
This thread is just kinda dumb don't you think? And Wazzal I think isn't that good. I haven't played it that much, but Notrium on the other hand, is just purely amazing, it even beats some comercial games, best or one of the best freeware games, ever. Suomalaista laatu työtä.
Yes, the thread is dumb. WHICH IS WHY THE LAST RESPONSE WAS IN JANUARY.

Read the dates before you post uselessly.
#
Potatoe 17 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
"Potatoe" said:

Too bad it was on the frontpage.. I didn't go searching deep into the archives of this forum, I'm too lazy to do that.
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
"Potatoe" said:
"MageKing17" said:
"Potatoe" said:

Too bad it was on the frontpage.. I didn't go searching deep into the archives of this forum, I'm too lazy to do that.
If the thread is dumb, and you're too lazy, WHY ARE YOU STILL POSTING HERE? And unless you're an idiot, I don't expect an answer.
#
Crazy 17 years ago
Guys. Cool down. He understood that he made a mistake, which makes him a newbie instead of a n00b.

So shut it!
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
Yet I still don't understand what going searching deep into the archives of this forum section has to do with any of this. :\
#
I say we should all stop posting here and shut up. Why?
And unless you're an idiot, I don't expect an answer.
#
Crazy 17 years ago
"Grim Reaper" said:
Yet I still don't understand what going searching deep into the archives of this forum section has to do with any of this. :\

The Wazzal forums only have one page. So there really is no "deep" in the archives...
#
*cough* *hint*
#
Anarion 17 years ago
"Crazy" said:
"Grim Reaper" said:

The Wazzal forums only have one page. So there really is no "deep" in the archives...

And when you first sign up all the threads appear as unread topics, it wouldn't be hard to simply miss noticing the date at the top of the post, it's not the part of the post you're usually looking at.

"Anonymous1157" said:
*cough* *hint*

And yes, I did get the hint this time.
#
killas900 14 years ago
I know its been 4 years... But looking at this just makes me wanna laugh soooooo hard.

What a complete *insert cuss here* turd.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
Stop necroing threads.
#
DRL 14 years ago
"kamatsu" said:
I'm sorry, but the concept of wazzal has not only been done elsewhere, but it has been done better. Cornutopia released an excellent game called Flatspace a while back, it does everything wazzal does and more. The only exception is the ability to have a fleet, which disturbingly reeks of Pirates.

Once again, ville, you've proven yourself to be a bit shoddy with your game creation. Your games are good, but they lack the professional sheen that other great freeware games have. Notrium is good, but crimsonland, for example, makes much better use of the grim engine's abilities. Wazzal is good, but it lacks the features present in games such as Freelancer or Flatspace to make it a hit, and forge is terrible. I was a regular contributor to The Battle For Wesnoth (also free), and it's much more professional than any of your games.
I will say it to you in my own way:
Games are not "original" that way; in this case everything is fine for a game such as Wazzal.
In addition, if we could follow your concept of "original" games, today the RTS makers will be Westwood folks, the ones who started the ´craze´ back with old Dune 2 --- and nobody else, since they concept was "already used".
So if we use your concept, games such as Command & Conquer Red Alert would not exist, because their concept was used somewhere else.
To sum up, if we take your point, today we would have around 70% LESS games than we have, because creating a "new" & "completely" original concept is very hard. Notrium is an example of an original idea; yet the concept: "A Top-Down 2D shooter/survivor" has been used already. And that just doen NOT mean that the game is not original.
#
Forum » Who says wazzal is original?

Your email:
Your name: