Register
Email: Password:
Forum » modding programing language?

modding programing language?

sharx1 18 years ago
does anybody know what programming language id need to learn to start text base modding (i find i can edit small things in a previously written mod but i thinck i would enjoy making a mod myself) and btw im sorry for posting up so many questions i am just trying to learn things and i find everyones help usefull. thanx every1
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
Notrium doesn't require you to learn a programming language to know how to mod it. The modding language is quite different from the programming languages one could even learn, too.

Just get the modding FAQ and read it, then fool around a bit with the default mod (or a copy of it. Making a backup of the mod is recommended, unless you are willing to install the game over and over again to get it working again). You'll eventually get the hang of it. If not, there's always the Modding Questions thread...
#
sharx1 18 years ago
thanx grim that helped me from taking bout a year learning a daft languige like c++
#
Grim Reaper 18 years ago
Now now, C++ isn't daft. It's just rather complex at times, methinks.

And remember, Notrium was programmed in C++... Are you gonna start calling Notrium daft, too, for being programmed in C++? Or are you perhaps starting to call Ville daft for programming with the aforementioned language? Hmm?
#
Anonymous1157 18 years ago
No, but here's a fact: the C++ Hello World program takes up 20-30 lines (Don't know how many exactly), and the Python Hello World program is exactly 1 line long!
Print "Hello World"

That's it. Try to make something meaningful in one line in some other language!

You're lucky you're going to start modding NOW, Sharx1. I used to mod with Notrium Mod Language 1 (A dumbed-down version of the current one (NML2)), and it took me at least a year to lose my phobia of using the new language! If only it was backwards-compatible...
#
Amarth 18 years ago
[OT]Your Python can't beat HQ9+! I mean, writing "Hello, World!" is the following code
H
Also, learning C++ is not at all hard. People always seem to think that, but once you have the basics of programming, every language is (almost) the same.[/OT]

Okay, and for something sensible in this post... You should indeed check the FAQ and start hacking away. Download the barebones mod if you want to create a mod out of the void. And don't be afraid to ask questions, as long as people around here understand you without having to think too much, they'll be friendly answered.
#
[OT] It can beat Python! It only does four things! And I know that was a joke and you're laughing the heck out of you as I speak!

Damn you. [/OT]
#
Amarth 18 years ago
[OT]BTW, I thought about this... In C++, hello world is only 2 lines
#include <iostream>
int main(){std::cout << "Hello World!"; return 0;}
So, not that hard [/OT]
#
sharx1 18 years ago
no1 is daft its just ive allready been learning it for 2 months and well i still know nothing of how to use it i basicly cant learn languages. lol
#
MageKing17 18 years ago
I'm going to start learning Python, by the way. It seems to me like it combines to ease of use of BASIC with the usefulness of C++, I'm going to start seeing what I can do with it.
#
sharx1 18 years ago
well i wish you luck mage king coz i cant do any language as i said be4 lol
#
Ah, yes, my minion!

As for the 2-line C++ hello program... I misjudged the C languages when I saw a version of the program done in a great many lines... I think 20.
#
MageKing17 18 years ago
What'd he do, declare a character variable for every single letter? Seriously, if they took longer than two lines to write that program they're either very obsessive about adding every single header to every single program, or they have no idea how to really program.
#
Forum » modding programing language?

Your email:
Your name: