Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Driftmoon on Crossover Games in Mac

Driftmoon on Crossover Games in Mac

ville 12 years ago
A word from Chuck, who got Driftmoon running on his OSX with Crossover Games:

I ran into a small issue during the installation which I will share with you in case someone else encounters it: While Crossover Games is installing Driftmoon, the installer asks if you want to start the game right after installation; if the box is checked, you will get the prompt to enter the registration key but at that point Crossover Games is not quite done installing, so everything freezes up when you try to enter the key. If you leave the box unchecked, the installation completes normally and you can then start the game and enter the key.
#
Venom31 12 years ago
Hmm. Never liked those "start right after installation" features. Serves 'em right!
#
MageKing17 12 years ago
Venom31 said:
Hmm. Never liked those "start right after installation" features. Serves 'em right!
I hate the "open readme" checkboxes. It's like, "If I wanted to read your stupid readme, I would go find it myself. If your program is so poorly-written that nothing functions intuitively, I probably don't want to use your program."
#
Venom31 12 years ago
MageKing17 said:
Venom31 said:
I hate the "open readme" checkboxes. It's like, "If I wanted to read your stupid readme, I would go find it myself. If your program is so poorly-written that nothing functions intuitively, I probably don't want to use your program."
That goes there as well. Perhaps, the worst thing is "start right after installation" + "open readme" checkboxes?
#
Pete 12 years ago
MageKing17 said:
Venom31 said:
Well thats unnecesarily hostile, dont you think? You know how to use most applications right out of the box, good for you, but heres a funny thing, you know how to uncheck a bloody checkbox as well, and if someone DOES need to read a readme, that person might very well fall into the "doesnt know how to find the readme file" group as well!
#
Narvius 12 years ago
Pete actually has a point.
We can still complain, though!
#
MageKing17 12 years ago
Pete said:
Well thats unnecesarily hostile, dont you think? You know how to use most applications right out of the box, good for you, but heres a funny thing, you know how to uncheck a bloody checkbox as well, and if someone DOES need to read a readme, that person might very well fall into the "doesnt know how to find the readme file" group as well!
I think it's very necessarily hostile, because I've encountered lots and lots and lots of bad programs that countered horrible UI design with a bloated readme. I don't think readme files are useless (there are plenty of things that can't always be obvious, like command-line options or possible values for config file settings), but if your program can't be used at all without reading the readme first... well, either your program is a command-line utility (and you can't be bothered to print out the list of arguments when run without them, like every command-line utility worth its salt) or some other obvious exception, or it was poorly designed.
#
Anne 12 years ago
Phew... The topic of programs with overly long readme files is raising such an impressive amount of negative emotions, that I'm very happy Driftmoon will (likely) not even have a readme file. And should it have one, it certainly won't be a long one. I tend to agree on the fact that usability is in fact very important, more important than many programmers / designers realize.

And since we've somehow ended up on the topic of usability, we're aiming at making Driftmoon as easy to use as possible, so we're very happy to get feedback on the usability of Drifmoon. (Possibly in another thread, though.)
#
Venom31 12 years ago
Yeah, this thread seems to become a hatred-dump of old shmucks :>.

Halfway back to topic, Ville, do you use any special techniques to make Driftmoon running on different platforms? Or is it one-kick deal?
#
Pete 12 years ago
Oh I dont actually think readmes are a necessary for programs to be usable and infact do agree that the interface should do all the work in the first place. I just like playing devils advocate sometimes.

That and really, come on, its just one checkbox.
#
MageKing17 12 years ago
Anne said:
Phew... The topic of programs with overly long readme files is raising such an impressive amount of negative emotions...
Whoops, sorry. I'll continue that discussion in PM form.

Anne said:
And since we've somehow ended up on the topic of usability, we're aiming at making Driftmoon as easy to use as possible, so we're very happy to get feedback on the usability of Drifmoon. (Possibly in another thread, though.)
Are you going to start that thread, or shall I?
#
Anne 12 years ago
MageKing17 said:
Whoops, sorry. I'll continue that discussion in PM form.
Don't worry MageKing, no harm done, I don't think you were at all out of line there, and I didn't mean to imply that. You weren't even pointing fingers at anyone, just voicing out your opinion, so everything's perfectly fine. And emotions are certainly allowed at the forum (I wouldn't be much of a psychologist - my major - if I thought emotions shouldn't be allowed. ) I really was just thinking, that I'm glad we don't even have a readme file in Driftmoon.

MageKing17 said:
Are you going to start that thread, or shall I?
You're very welcome to start the thread, so go ahead!
#
Forum » Driftmoon on Crossover Games in Mac

Your email:
Your name: