Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Useful utility downloads

Useful utility downloads

Madgamer 17 years ago
Alright, I'm already aware that we have 3 different threads about downloads but this time, no games, just softwares that'll make your computer way better and give it more convenience with better touch to it.

Just to mention a few:
All utilities must remain free.
NO anti-spyware/anti-virus programs. When they're free, they cause more problems to your computer than help them.

Here's 2 I figured out from internet stuffsie.

Free Download Manager does an outstanding job downloading and resuming broken downloads with a big boost to its speed. Also you can comment on a download, find multiple mirrors, extensions, and see if this is malicious or not from other people's comments. Best free DM I've seen.

Keylogger, remember this? When I tried to find a keylogger stuff I bumped into this. Not really powerful to match your needs but at least its free.

Only the top one seemed really useful

Let's get those links moving here
#
Zephyr 17 years ago
"Madgamer" said:
Free Download Manager does an outstanding job downloading and resuming broken downloads with a big boost to its speed. Also you can comment on a download, find multiple mirrors, extensions, and see if this is malicious or not from other people's comments. Best free DM I've seen.

Whoa. That program pwns. Especially if you have shitty old dial-up like me... Nice idea for a thread, Madgamer.
#
Nuklearni-okurka 17 years ago
Getright own it all. http://www.getright.com/[url]
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
[OT]
"Madgamer" said:
NO anti-spyware/anti-virus programs. When they're free, they cause more problems to your computer than help them.
What do you mean? Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy NEVER caused any problems on my computer. [/OT]
#
Idiota 17 years ago
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.snapfiles.com">http://www.snapfiles.com</a><!-- w --> <- for all your freeware and shareware utilities.
#
E_net4 17 years ago
Whatever...
Must tell you to NOT trust this program: Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2
#
Amarth 17 years ago
One program to change your lifestyle: Launchy. No more searching around in the start menu.
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
This is a DLL hack that lets you use non-Microsoft .msstyle themes. Note that Microsoft obviously dosen't support this. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://interfacelift.net/themes-win/index.php?sort=ratings">http://interfacelift.net/themes-win/ind ... rt=ratings</a><!-- m -->

Posting here got me thinking, so I decided to install a StyleXP theme without StyleXP. THE DAMN THING WORKS! 90% of it was actually applied, and I can use Resource Hacker on the rest.
#
LunaticNeko 17 years ago
Firefox handles most downloads. Get them PortableApps (and few other apps/files), they can turn your USB drive into a software arsenal.
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Madgamer" said:
Correction: When spyware masquerades as anti-spyware/anti-virus software, it f***s up your computer.
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
"Madgamer" said:
Correction: When spyware masquerades as anti-spyware/anti-virus software, it f***s up your computer.
Are you serious? I know that there's always at least one person dumb enough to fall for anything, but those kinds of people would rather buy that McAffe scanner in a box than download one.
#
Madgamer 17 years ago
I'm kinda going against the rule I stated but since these programs are approved by the PC Magazine, those are overridden.

Anti-Virus: free.grisoft.com

Anti-Spyware: tenebril.com

Edit: Anti-Virus one is just f**king too slow but then it does get the job done. It took at least one hour (!) to complete the task on my compie.

Anti-Spyware one... you can forget that. That'll just cause HUGE slow down if you turn it on. And you really don't want to turn it on.

Editage: Actually, screw all of the above. Using them slows your system to a crawl and I don't see any improvements.
#
Madgamer 17 years ago
Whenever I use a bit torrent file to download the file speed goes at a tremendously slow pace (2-3KB per second) and I'm forced to waste up a site's bandwidth so I could download A LOT faster.

I turned my firewall off and it still says it's blocked by another firewall. If it is blocked by another firewall, how can I check this? Also how would you open the ports you need to make the download go at light speed (2 MB per second, I'm not kidding)?

I'm using Bit Tornado by the way :/
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
"Madgamer" said:
Whenever I use a bit torrent file to download the file speed goes at a tremendously slow pace (2-3KB per second) and I'm forced to waste up a site's bandwidth so I could download A LOT faster.

I turned my firewall off and it still says it's blocked by another firewall. If it is blocked by another firewall, how can I check this? Also how would you open the ports you need to make the download go at light speed (2 MB per second, I'm not kidding)?

I'm using Bit Tornado by the way :/
Firstly, the maximum speed of your download depends on 1) the speed your ISP gave you and 2) how many computers the bandwidth is divided to. Do remember that ISPs pretty much ALWAYS tell the connection speed in bits instead of bytes (so you have to divide the number by 8 to get the "actual" speed), so if you have a 2Mb/512kb connection, the REAL download and upload speeds are ~200kB/~50kB (some of the bandwidth is consumed by the data ABOUT the transfer, such as where the packet comes from and where does it go and so on). Also, the speed at which you download BitTorrent files depends on a couple more things: 1) How fast other people are uploading, 2) how fast those people are allowing a single person to download it from their computers and 3) your actual bandwidth.

Therefore, UNLESS you have a connection with a download speed of something like 20MBit/s, it's quite frankly IMPOSSIBLE to download at 2 megabytes per second.
#
Zombie 17 years ago
Avast! antivirus is good and very reliable. No spyware or anything. ^-^

Don't say that just because it's free it has spyware or adware. I could easily say that about everything you have listed so far. :3 And just because a magazine says it's okay, that doesn't necessarily mean it is. Ever read the National Enquirer? No? Yeah, for a good reason. It makes no f-ing sense. ;P
#
Forum » Useful utility downloads

Your email:
Your name: