Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Werivar Expansion Mod.
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Werivar Expansion Mod.

J.C 17 years ago
    2 thins i aint happy bout.......... I CANT MAKE A GLASS MARBLE.

and the second i had nightmares about.......way to many dire reapers.....how am i soposed to survive, when i say i want a chaleng i meant a chalenge i can do!
    #
    Lord Windgrace 17 years ago
    well. what do you exactly do to make a Glass Marble?

You need to [Spoiler] Have a Wielding Torch, 9 Units of Sand and stand in/on a Fire and then use the sand

sec: Which Charackter do you play? Where are to many Dire Reapers? The mining Fields? The Mines? The Jungle? its hard with the that many dire Reapers in the MIning fields, but its possible to survive when you play Human (dunno bout Driod but should be nearly the same(and with the scavenger, just get a Lightning Burst and when you see a Reaper, stun him and outrun him))
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "Lord Windgrace" said:
    You need to [Spoiler] Have a Wielding Torch, 9 Units of Sand and stand in/on a Fire and then use the sand
    Actually I don't think you need to be anywhere near a fire.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "notrium_fanboy" said:
    2 things I ain't happy 'bout.......... I CAN'T MAKE A GLASS MARBLE.

And the second thing I had nightmares about.......way too many dire reapers.....how am I suposed to survive, when i say i want a chaleng I meant a chalenge I can do!
    1)To ,make a glass marble, [Spoiler]Get a wielding torch and use some sand.[/Spoiler]
    2) Get the hell away from them until you have a good weapon!

By the way, If you want to take over the refinery, place a laser fence on the entrance of it. Most of the reapers will die when crossing it.
    #
    mmh dunno if you don´t have to stand near a fire, i always stand next to one and it always worked. Anyway, it is true, that it is difficult to avoid the Reapers in the Miningfields, and its impossible to outrun them with Human/Andriod, but if its one, you can just stun him with the Tazor and run, (or the VC Tazor Gun) if it is more then one......take
    a Flamethrower
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Lord Windgrace" said:
    mmh dunno if you don´t have to stand near a fire, i always stand next to one and it always worked. Anyway, it is true, that it is difficult to avoid the Reapers in the Miningfields, and its impossible to outrun them with Human/Andriod, but if its one, you can just stun him with the Tazor and run, (or the VC Tazor Gun) if it is more then one......take
    a Flamethrower
    1) You really don't need to be near a fire.
    2) The Tazor is too short distant for the dire reaper, you'll be hit.
    3)It's a nice weapon, but you might improve it to an enhanced Flame Thrower.

What about the battledroids? You have no problem about them?
    #
    1) ok thanks

2) but only till you get a VC Stun Gun with the Tasor and then the Dire Reapers can go home, (still avoid them of course)

3) If you have the Material at the Start...sure, but normally, you get the FLamethrower by killing a FL Marine and you don´t have the PA to upgrade him

4) No, because 4a) They stay mostly in the Base
    4b) They are Fighting the Reapers
    4c) If i have to fight them i make sure that i am well equipped
    (enhanced PArmor, Laser Rifle, and so on)
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    Once in a saved game they were almost everywhere!
    It was really annoying.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    HEHEHEE i love em, as a scavenger, there is a trick, since using J for reapers on devour would give a ton of hp and energy, and the excess energy loss is slow so you can use greater fire breath and nerve rush and keep running around em... it takes a looong time but ull kill em all in about 2 mins hehehehee ill send a screenie later hehehe, since there are too many of em everywhere its ok when you can kill them....
    #
    Mmh well after some sort of break, played again, and i have to say, that that weird graphikal bug in the desert is fixed again_-_ These errors are pretty often or? like: You play, than goes to desktop, and than back to the game, the minimap is screwed up aso. just wanted to say, that the desert Trees are again trees, not brown squares
    #
    Nocture17 17 years ago
    Notruim: Can't make a glass marble? Methinks you are going about it wrong, since I've just made two from pressing U with 9 sand whilst carrying the Welding Torch, which is how you're supposed to do it.

Equally, with Dire Reapers, just avoid the areas that Dire Reapers show up in, like the Hive, the various mines, and the Graveyard. Every character has a means of improvement to a level where they can wipe out Dire Reapers with comparative ease, the trick is just avoiding them until you reach that level, whether by evolving or by accumulating tech.

Harwe: The psionic is not helped by the survivors, this is as intentional as the survivors attacking the two aliens.

Patrick: Aliens swarming is perfectly normal alien behaviour, not being able to pick them up is not, I've not encountered the problem myself, but I shall keep an eye out. I suggest just keep right clicking the corpses, hopefully they only seem to be stuck because there are multiple in the same spot.

And no, Rage is not free, it increases your food usage by three times as much as long as you are using it.
    However, it also slows things to a third of their speed, including projectiles and is thus rarely a good plan if you intend to use long ranged attacks.

Note: Graphical glitches are usually a result of the Notrium engine, not the mod itself, I can't do anything about those, unfortunately.

Slightly later than expected, I've been busy:

Fixed Dire Reapers showing up in the mining fields as of next version, so that should no longer be a concern.
    Removed most of the Werivar's starting rations - He should be getting those from the Explorer.

AI anger removed from the StarSword, damage increased, power reduced; slightly. Now kills all "normal" aliens with one or two swings at most.

Pod bonuses revamped:
    Human - Now gets a Life Support Chip, a Particle Accelerator and a motion detector.
    Werivar - Currently unaltered.
    Psionic - Receives only 10 Life Essences.
    Stowaway - 200 Evo only.
    Scavenger - No longer gains a free Hibernate token.
    Android - 4 battery extensions, 2 Repair Units

Sand is now scattered around all desert locations.

Confirmed - Insectoids are no longer fighting one another, but the near invisible Reapers.

Noticed an occassional bug where the U key is disabled and this state is retained even after reloading. Has anyone else seen this one? I'm at a loss as to what causes it currently.

StarSword rebalanced. It now actually is the most powerful melee weapon available to humans and androids.

Store ability now uses Y U J K buttons, as Devour.

Completely revamped the mining system, now everything can be done with a right click.

New Fatigue system:

Mainly for use in mining, whilst fatigued, you will lose food/energy far more quickly than normal. If you have no food/energy, you will grow weaker and weaker until you finally collapse, unable to move.

There are two main things that cause fatigue:

Mining - Every time you mine you incur a brief period of fatigue. This replaces the set food cost.

Low health - At less than 10% health, you will suffer a continous drain of food/energy from fatigue as a result of your severe injuries.

Now, if you are starving and at under 10% of your health, you will slowly weaken until you must first drop things to be able to move, then become unable to move altogether. If your health once again goes over 10%, or you get some food, you'll swiftly recover, at least until you start starving to death again.

Obviously this has serious implications; even more than before, a bad start or a few unlucky choices can be fatal, and it becomes harder to survive when you're already having trouble, much like "reality" that. Anyway, depending on opinions when you play it, I may restrict the low health drain to Hard mode and have medium and easy restricted to Mining.

Now being at low food reduces your health by 1% of your maximum, regardless of race, in addition to any race specific losses. This replaces the Werivar's unique health loss.

Energy, Health and Food now cannot be above 150% of their maximum levels. Any excess is simply lost. However, this does not apply within the inventory, meaning the Scavenger can still accumulate and metabolise the large amounts of food needed to evolve, so long as you stay in the inventory. Due to the way this works, increasing your maximum of any of the three bars increases the cap, making it even more important to improve yourself than before. What inspired me to do this? After clearing out the East Hive with a Scavenger, I wandered around with 8000 health, 5000 energy and a bad attitude for about half an hour, which was over 100 times their respective maximums at the time.

New area - Hidden somewhere on Notrium is a place nobody has ever seen. And hidden beneath is a fabulous treasure trove, mainly because I've not got around to doing anything else with it yet. Good luck finding it.

New Scavenger Biotech - Sonic Cry. You'll have to figure out how to make this yourself.

Volcanic Spray rebalanced - It is still wildly inaccurate, but has multiple projectiles making it more useful at long range, and lethal at close range.

Nightmare Claws rebalanced - Damage reduced to 50% of previous. It now deals damage equal to Quicksilver claws, but retains its damage type, which few creatures have even limitted defences against.

Explorer Ship - New section added.... Just to tease people. You can't reach it.

It is now possible to cook brown alien corpses, and even large brown alien corpses without ever nearing a fire by use of the increasingly useful Thermal Heat Packs, which are vital tools for all foodstuffs, even rations!

New Item - Atmospheric Condenser. Upgrades the Ice Pack and Ether Generators and generates both at once, making life simple again.

As ever, check the first post for the new version in a moment or two. It's hosted on FileFactory because, ironically, ihud seems to be down right now. Maybe a new location later.

On a side note, the mod is heading towards 5 megabytes by now. Would there be interest in "patch" updates, which just have the updated dat files and new textures?
    #
    Nice, will try the new Version soon, but before, in the first post, you have written, that the Scavenger name is not final yet, so what about:
    Drone / Worker / Servant?

Start text for the +pro/contra:
    Starts very weak, but will evolve and adapt, if eats enough. Is able to use (Basic/near advanced) Technology but no unnaturel weapons.

Btw: If the Scavenger is only a Drone, and its destiniy?ie?i?e? is to serve aso, why can he be so strong? Maybe its just the "healthy" notrien Atmospher&Enviroment? Maybe i have overread it, but could that come out in the Journal Entrys?
    #
    Nocture17 17 years ago
    Ah ha, finally someone asks about the character concept!

Alrighty, here was my idea behind the Scavenger, and as an extension, my thoughts on the Doran Prime's alien society.

The Doran Prime aliens (whom I'll call DPA from now on for brevity), like the Blue and Brown aliens of Notrium, are a matriarchal society. Every female, if the Stowaway is any indication, is at least basically capable of starting her own nest, in making her own hive, and, again, if the Stowaway is any indication, is both ambitious enough to do so, and has no loyalty to any parent to stop her.

As a result, Doran Prime politics must be very tentative. Even if the Stowaway is significantly above average for her species, it's reasonable to assume every DPA female must have the ability to evolve also, given time and motivation, and to subsequently bear offspring. The absolute mastery of the high queens of various hives over smaller sub-hives, and they over even smaller hives down to the least important, the "individuals", younglings without hives of their own yet, all maintained by force.
    Plots and intrigues as sub hives destroy or conquer other hives, the constant rise and fall in power of the hives is life for a mother on Doran Prime, but for individual females, survival to adulthood, and consequently sexual maturity to start a hive of their own would be almost as much of a struggle as it is for the Stowaway to grow on Notrium, and rising from infant to high queen would probably be enough material for an entire mod.

In all of this, it doesn't leave much room for the males. Like insect hives, the only main use for the male is in fertilisation, after that, they are ultimately expendable, literally like the drones in a bee hive. In the Stowaway's journal, she already plans to do away with 'Zek before the Captain has his way with a flamethrower, because males, in DPA society are truly that worthless.
    DPA males bear significant biological differences to the females: smaller, weaker, and less ferocious. Yet, as hopefully shown with the Scavenger, just as capable of evolution, more intelligent (at least on a more humanesque scale of intellect), with more nimble fingers and energy cells that let them make use of, and even integrate themselves with technology.
    On Doran Prime this didn't help them much. There wasn't much technology there, and as mentioned in a few of the Scavenger's combination journals, any drone that showed signs of evolution, of improvement, would be put to death, hunted down intentionally by the queens as a threat to the status quo, and, because males are incapable of having hives of their own, there was no way to avoid this fate, no source of allies, and no end of enemies.

Unlike the Stowaway, whose evolution could notionally have been the same whether on Notrium or Doran I, the Scavenger could only become as powerful as he can away from Doran Prime, otherwise, even though he, like the stowaway, is well above average for his species, he would have been terminated.

Much of this is stated, or at least alluded to, in the Scavenger's journal entries, though in less detail. However, you'd need to survive for at least thirty to forty days on Notrium before you could see all of the date dependent entries, so you might want to just read the DAT file. Other noteworthy entries, from memory, are the ones that appear (don't pop up and show you) when you finish combining various scavenger abilities, mainly claws, checking through those should have some background information beyond just the biological technobabble.

As for the name, I chose it to stay at least vaguely in keeping with the Notrium naming trend, every character is described by their role aboard the Explorer. We have the Captain, Warp Engineer, Medic, Scientist.... The Female is already the Stowaway, so I tried for Scavenger since that's what he effectively does for the first part of a Scavenger game. Drone is definitely a good alternative for the short name, if anyone else likes it too, I'll change to it.
    #
    that was a lot information, have to sort it all out^^ one day^^.....pretty soon...hopefully
    #
    patrickul87 17 years ago
    i got a ideea about a new skill its called fear andit would be like you kill aliens and your fear level grows and when fear is high enough the creatures would run away from you every creature would have fear it would work only on aliens i mean all the player species would have fear lvl but it would work only on live enemyes like marines and aliens not robots but for killin human/alien bosses you would need ultimate fear lvl
    and make a new character thats another survvior of another crash but on the other side of the planet it would be a thing that can posses other things it could controll them and slowly eat theyr healthit could get out of the creature and it would be vulnerable and make more evolves to alien make its skin get another color and maybe be th size of queen
    p.s. plz dont get mad if you dont like what i sed its just an ideea
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "patrickul87" said:
    when fear is high enough the creatures would run away from you
    Where's the fun in that?
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    we'd lose the balance in the game, why dont we try to find more challenges instead of making the game even easier
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    How 'bout making it scare off smaller beasts and attract the big ones? Kinda like that invisible weapon that attracts all the beasts on hard, but instead of same effect on every creature, have the smaller ones be scared off by the wep. And make it diminish gradually, so we won't be attracting the big beasts and scaring the small ones all the time.
    #
    Nocture17 17 years ago
    Hmm.... Selective fear sounds fairly awkward.... Perhaps with a change AI tactic on a weapon? I'm not one hundred percent sure that it should be that easy to terrify hordes of bloodthirsty aliens or battle-hardened marines, or that it would be balanceable to do so, but an idea does spring to mind from this. How about a fear script like the hermit's AI, where creatures of all kinds acquire the miracle of self-preservation when they reach 10% health, and start running away from you and yours? Coupled with an eat command where wounded aliens eat the corpses of rival aliens to recover health, you could get more intelligent tactics, more durable enemies and rid of all those extra corpses too. Any opinions?

As for the additional character.... I don't think it currently meshes with my other work on this mod, the playing style would be too different, and steps on the toes of another mod I've plans for once I get the experience from finishing Werivar. However, that shouldn't stop you from trying it yourself if you want to. Backstory could be several combined ether tanks combined with something else to make a sentient blob. I'm not sure how the abilities would work, probably have it so that if the blob used any corpse, then it would turn into that creature for a limitted time. Other abilities would be divide to create allies at the expense of health, fire parts of yourself as a projectile, and extend blobby tendrils up close. The blob mod idea has probably just about enough content to make a mod all of its own.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    How 'bout making it scare off smaller beasts and attract the big ones? Kinda like that invisible weapon that attracts all the beasts on hard, but instead of same effect on every creature, have the smaller ones be scared off by the wep. And make it diminish gradually, so we won't be attracting the big beasts and scaring the small ones all the time.
    Like the alien king claws that make brown aliens go round. XD
    #
    patrickul87 17 years ago
    the fear thingy would be from the first morph of any character but it will work only if you kill like a number from that species for eample small aliens kil l50 or so then 100 blue alien 150 brown aliens 200 reapers 250 dire reapers so to marines 10 vc stun laser ones 50 pistol ones 100 vc pistol and flame ones it would be like respect meter you would be at the top of the food chain and thngs would run like hell form you cause killin hodes of dire reapers at once is a bit to hard only at final level al the creatures mentioned above would run away from you and your fear meter shrikes if you dont kill beasts cause theyl start forgetin about youdont fear you so you would have to kill em again
    and verey rare like 1 out of 100 would join you becase they dont want you to kill em and remeber you must keep fear uup
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    Punctuation PLEASE!
    Without full stops everything looks like... weirdo.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Punctuation PLEASE!
    Without full stops everything looks like... weirdo.
    Yeah, It's extremely hard to read. You can't tell where the sentences start and end.
    #
    Nocture17 17 years ago
    .... Okay, I have to ask.... how would they know? You don't often kill things in front of an audience in Notrium, there is no real method by which the first one hundred and forty nine small blue aliens could tell the hundred and fiftieth small blue alien to watch out for the madman with a lightsaber, they're a bit too dead for that. This becomes all the more questionable if you killed those 149 aliens with a sniper rifle from the other side of the map.
    And what of the hunter gatherers? Some people want aliens to approach them, so they can kill and eat them. The entire notion of hunting would be impossible if animals randomly fled from your awe-inspiring presence.
    #
    patrickul87 17 years ago
    i know but must be a bit real cause if you were hunted by a madman with a lighsword you would run to.Not go and say okay im can kill this guy only with fists.must be a bit real.you would have a thing that when you reach a fear lvl would scare the aliens like a howl or somethingit will use food
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "patrickul87" said:
    i know but must be a bit real cause if you were hunted by a madman with a lighsword you would run to.Not go and say okay im can kill this guy only with fists.must be a bit real.you would have a thing that when you reach a fear lvl would scare the aliens like a howl or somethingit will use food
    Yes, as it evolves, it should eat more than previously.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Nocture17" said:
    How about a fear script like the hermit's AI, where creatures of all kinds acquire the miracle of self-preservation when they reach 10% health, and start running away from you and yours? Coupled with an eat command where wounded aliens eat the corpses of rival aliens to recover health, you could get more intelligent tactics, more durable enemies and rid of all those extra corpses too. Any opinions?
    Whoa, that would be awesome. Somebody try this.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    you messed something drasticly up.... im having tons of problems...... v.9 is not finished because i see 4 generators up in hermit's house and when i used scavenger, the energy bar was always depleted and below the temperatur bar at 0 no matter what
    #
    Nocture17 17 years ago
    I'll see if I can't implement fear as soon as I get to my next update, which won't be for a week or two probably.

Harwe - Fixed the generator problem, but I'm not having any problems with the Scavenger. Try uploading from the new link in the main page again, you should hopefully find it fixes your problems.
    #
    patrickul87 17 years ago
    hope you can make it good luck
    p.s. can you make blue aliens fight brown aliens? it would be cool
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "patrickul87" said:
    hope you can make it good luck
    p.s. can you make blue aliens fight brown aliens? it would be cool
    It is possible, but might change the other creature's reactions to them also.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    the first one you posted up was something in a rush... i can tell because you have a Copy of Barebones, Copy of items and tons of data we dont need ie the other mods, lol itsfunny cuz i think you compressed your data,texture,and etc instead of looking in em lol

take a look carefullly for yourself here
    #
    Aphiberg 17 years ago
    LMAO
    He did copy his mods on their stuff on their!
    Lol silly modder.
    #
    FREAK 17 years ago
    Hey ppl.
    Idk if this has already been posted but do the snipers and battledroids still spawn after a few days?
    I haven't been able to play long enough yet.
    The snipers and the battledroids are a real pain.
    Well unless they are on your side then their awesome.
    Anyways I hate how they can suddenly pop up and completely destroy anything that is in the same area as they are.
    It can get to a point where they are in every area.
    It can be very frustrating.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "FREAK" said:
    Hey ppl.
    Idk if this has already been posted but do the snipers and battledroids still spawn after a few days?
    I haven't been able to play long enough yet.
    The snipers and the battledroids are a real pain.
    Well unless they are on your side then their awesome.
    Anyways I hate how they can suddenly pop up and completely destroy anything that is in the same area as they are.
    It can get to a point where they are in every area.
    It can be very frustrating.
    That's an old problem.
    And it's really annoying.
    It has something to do with the spawns.
    #
    Forum » The Werivar Expansion Mod.
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: