Email: Password:
Forum » Other games like notrium?
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Other games like notrium?

Kerpele 20 years ago
    Here's couple of games that somewhat remind me of notrium:

Unreal World
    <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iki.fi/~urw">http://www.iki.fi/~urw</a><!-- w -->
    Great finnish Survival-RPG set in the Iron Age

Shipwreck/Schiffbruch
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dplate.de/javae.html">http://www.dplate.de/javae.html</a><!-- m -->
    Quite fun survival game in the spirit of Robinsson Crusoe

If you know any feel free to post them here.
    #
    Mangler 20 years ago
    Darn I was gonna mention those two.

there is one other I think, not a PC game tho.

I 'think' a 3D0 game but I don't remember the name... :sad

you had to survive on an alien world with nothing but the shirt on your back... (or so the ad went)
    #
    ville 20 years ago
    On Gamehippo someone mentioned Robinson's Requiem and Deus. Haven't tried them though, but they seem more adventure oriented.
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    I'll probably be chastised for this he he, but the original Unreal had a very strong survival element to it, I always felt more like I was trying to survive more than Quake ever made me feel, which was more like a frag fest. Also System Shock 1 and 2, 3 if it ever comes out *cries because Looking Glass Studios is gone*, are very good survival type games and I think you'll recognize faint elements of System Shock in Notrium. Though I've still yet to be more freaked out by some half-human creature taunting me with death as it searches for me. Quite eerie Oh yeah and the fact System Shock 2 constantly spawned new creatures made sure you were never safe for too long. Um yeah so I know those are FPS, but they're FPS's in the vein of Notrium.
    #
    ville 20 years ago
    I just hated the spawning feature in SS2. But is there a version 3? Haven't seen that one.

But definitely I played SS2 just this summer, it must have affected the game somehow.
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    No there was never a SS3, thats why I cried lol, because Looking Glass Studios went out of business and they were responsible for the famed series along with the Thief series, though I hear Thief 3 will be made, but by another company I believe.. The spawning was mostly done to keep up the pressure, so unlike most FPS, the game never got way too easy , and it was very possible for even the first zombie guys to kill you even later on. I never did play as a Psiops.. Which sucks because that had all the kewl Psionic attacks/abilities
    #
    ville 20 years ago
    I liked Thief 2, but it got all strange and difficult when the player went to the other world.

Perhaps I could change the kill queen enging in Notrium to just killing the two queens. But the queens could lay eggs, which would slowly hatch into first small aliens, then big aliens. There would of course have to be some limit how many there can be per any given map.
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    In Thief when things got really twisted thats when I got really into the game, the zombies in that game scared the crap out of me lol. I hated that church that was full of undead. I never actually got to play Thief 2 unfortunately

That would certainly be very sweet. I'd love to have one creature able to spawn others, not just the Queens but any creature.
    #
    NeoGangster 20 years ago
    there is a game like Shipwreck/Schiffbruch its called Stranded. its like Shipwreck/Schiffbruch but in 3D.
    #
    ville 20 years ago
    Made by the same people? Got to try that!
    #
    Skyrage 20 years ago
    And where can you get this "Stranded"?

A bit OT: I played the URW trial befre...loved it...but the price to get a full registered version for a game like that...ugh...no way jose...too expensive...I'd only do it if I could actually buy the game in a store or something so that I actually had the game, even if the makers were to go under or something, but not online like this

Anyone know any other similar games besides these mentioned?
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid - Snake Eater for the Ps2 is going to hopefully be a great survival type game and considering their isn't anything else to really compete with it, if it done right it should extremely well. I've got a funny video on one of my PSM dvds where he tries to steal this soldier's motorcycle and the soldier just laughs at him and says, "What do you think this is Grand Theft Auto.", than drives off and leaves him there
    #
    thenewguy 20 years ago
    SS2 is one of the scariest survival games ever, due to the following elements: the scariest element in SS2 is that it takes more ammo to kill enemies than you receive for killing them, unless you go melee (inadvisable late game). and, also because your weapons BREAK!, also unless you go melee (again, inadvisable late game). so the combination of unlimited enemies with not so unlimted ammo and weapons makes the game very uneasy to play. you always face the prospect of breaking every weapon and running out of all ammo!
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    Its also the only first person shooter that I'm aware of where you can actually farm like an rpg, since the flow of enemies keeps a good flow of items too, so you stay on lower levels and just farm when you need ammo, or otherwise Deus EX has alot of the same elements, but SS2 really does have a great thriller type atmosphere.
    #
    AiletheAlien 20 years ago
    I think I found the above-mentioned game "Stranded".
    1. It's in 3D.
    2. It appears to be of the same island-survival genre.
    3. The website's in German or something, so I'm not sure about 1. and 2.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strandedgame.de.vu/">http://www.strandedgame.de.vu/</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    I recently found a game that is dangerously close to Notrium but in actual 3d, called Deus. You can find it on Underdogs. I only played it for like 30 minutes so I can't say how good it is overall, but it seems like it could be a really fantastic survival game. You'll find it on Underdogs as well as the game its the sequel to called Robinson's Requiem I believe, which was made 2 years before Deus was. Anyways I just thought I'd mention that you, I think you should try it as well Ville it might give you some ideas you had never thought of yet since it is definately in the vein of Notrium.

Oops this was already mentioned in the thread, sorry.. well try it anyways, it is survival as far as I can tell. :> Um and the first one is supposed to be torture to play so I didn't touch it lol.
    #
    Petrell 20 years ago
    well there's
    Phobia III : Edge of humanity
    http://www.lynxlabs.com/phobiaIII/
    and
    BOFH(Bastard Operator From Hell ): Servers under Siege
    http://www.student.oulu.fi/~loorni/
    and
    Crimsonland (Shareware)
    http://crimsonland.reflexive.com/crimsonland/
    All three are games made by finns

You can find more links to various games in Petrell's Domain -> Games (shameless advertisement :>
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/ton_hur/
    #
    Crazy 20 years ago
    since underdogs doesent work (again!) then could someone tell me a link, where i can download Deus?
    #
    Devon 20 years ago
    The website's in German or something, so I'm not sure about 1. and 2.
    Yes, its german. Well, I will try to translate it:
    "Stranded is a 3D adventure game where your main goal is to survive. You a shipwrecked and stranded on abandoned (?) island. You have to explore, search for food and construct some shelter to survive. If you are smart and don't waste your resources you may surviev or are even able to escape from the island..."
    #
    roburky 20 years ago
    In System Shock 2 there were no safe places, and the game was never paused, even when you opened your inventory to start doing research and reading logs and playing on your game boy. And enemies could appear at any moment, and anywhere. It was fantastic at keeping up the pressure.

Which is why I want a similar thing in Notrium.the bars to continue to go down while you're in Notrium's inventory screen, like the combining timer screen.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 20 years ago
    Even just being able to see the bars when you're in the inventory would be good; I hate having to get out of the inventory to make sure my energy levels aren't up all the way so I don't waste the batteries.
    #
    Click 20 years ago
    in my game it always says batterys full when i use a battery and the battery bar is full and it wont let me use it
    #
    ZeXLR8er 20 years ago
    It does that for me with food but it lets me guzzle as many batterys as I like. Maybe it's a bug?
    #
    Click 20 years ago
    if it is a bug, theses bugs are really good bugs
    #
    ville 20 years ago
    Could be a bug. I'll check it out.
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    The moddable bars may allow anything to be shown on the screen, but I'm not sure how flexible it is yet since I haven't even seen a mockup of it. If things go as I hope than the most important inventory items will be shown at all times so you wont have to constantly check your inventory.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 20 years ago
    So, what, you mean things like the torch, rations, batteries, the spacepod etc.?
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    Don't worry about not getting Deus, I've got it and let me tell you that game can frustrate the living heck out of you. I couldn't really figure much out though, the control scheme is annoying though and kept me from ever being comfortable with controlling my character. If someone can direct me to some kind of guide or manual for Deus I'd appreciate it, I'd love to give it a chance, but its just too hard trying to figure EVERYTHING out. There are all kinds of dials and bars, the only one I've figured out is the health, the rest I honestly have no clue. I stopped playing a while back and wont play it again anytime soon unless I can find some kind of instructions/guide for it.
    #
    Marevix 20 years ago
    I think System Shock 2 deserves a sequel. Honestly, I spent 3 years of my live devoted to that game..

But then again, on the Deus topic:

It isn't as good as Notrium, I can tell you that. Learning curve is like a virtual Everest.
    #
    Eurteoff 20 years ago
    hmm... i thought HotU had a manual for deus...

well if that annoys you, try robinson's requium, it'll kill you 100 times, 100 different ways before you get a game to last longer than 15 minutes
    #
    ZeXLR8er 20 years ago
    You know what? I'd rather simply play a great game called 'Notrium', although Shipwreck is pretty good.
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    Most of the other games noted, with the exception of System Shock 2 which is just a fantastic game are really quite dull and aren't very much fun at all to play asides from the satisfaction of beating them. Though this thread does have its merit as it is a good source for reference material for mods
    #
    AiletheAlien 20 years ago
    I'm playing System Shock 2 right now.
    (Well, not *right* now -- I need my keyboard to play. )

That game is 5 years old now, and it's still better than any other RPG genre that I've played recently.
    Deus Ex 1 & 2 can't hold a candle to SS2's mightyness.
    #
    Eternal 20 years ago
    whered u get it?
    #
    Quanrian 20 years ago
    I know Thief 3 which wasn't supposed to happen because the developer died is being made. I only hope they have the common sense to make a System Shock 3 as well, though they may have not obtained that license
    #
    Forum » Other games like notrium?
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: