Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

Narvius 12 years ago
    Anon supposedly updated this thread, but I don't see the new post, so it's probablyanother end-of-page bug or something.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    Yea, I noticed that. I swear I pressed the submit button but I couldn't see my post in the thread.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Paging bug with my new caching system. I'll be right on top of it tomorrow, in the meanwhile, your post is now back.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Yeah... Minecraft. Whoo!

Now to schedule a free day for an extreme Minecraft game session.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    ville said:
    Paging bug with my new caching system. I'll be right on top of it tomorrow, in the meanwhile, your post is now back.
    I saw Anon's post from the beginning (as in, well before Narvius posted)... huh.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    In case you hadn't noticed, Magicka is freely playable (and quite nicely discounted) for the weekend.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    In case you hadn't noticed, Magicka is freely playable (and quite nicely discounted) for the weekend.
    Well that's something I should look into.
    #
    Endymion 12 years ago
    AVWW now has some sort of optional alpha multiplayer(which works very well except for players not disappearing on disconnect) in addition to awesome plans of heavily revamping lots of stuff like getting rid of EXP and possibly mana too. Also I believe they are planning to increase the price 15$ once the multiplayer is enabled by default.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    And don't forget to visit Steam daily for a chance to win the top 10 games on your wishlist. Yeah, I'm one day late.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    So Ive been playing some AC:Relevations multiplayer lately. Gotta say, standing calmly in a crowd, watching your pursuer chase down your decoy, then smoke-bomb stunning his buddy and legging it across half the map is incredibly entertaining. Shame that the singleplayer was, well, stupidly silly. Wont spoil it, but the ending chase scene? I mean, really?
    #
    Endymion 12 years ago
    The latest Humble Bundle is pretty sweet. It has Super Meat Boy, Bit.Trip Runner, Jamestown, Nightsky and some Shank thing in it. Also Cave Story+ and GSB if you beat the average.

Also Treasure Adventure Game is kind of nice.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Open-world, platform adventure? That's a new concept to me.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Guest (guest) said:
    Albion
    MageKing17 said:
    Albion
    Speaking of things involving the word "Albion", X3: Albion Prelude is absolutely fantastic. I'd only heard about it about four days before it came out, and having already bought the X Superbox, I got it for free. They actually had Gazz (a prolific modder for previous games) rebalance Out Of Sector combat (along the lines of his OOS Rebalance mod), as well as rewriting all of the turret scripts... which are now customizable. I've got my capital ships running a custom script that prioritizes missiles, but then aggressively attacks hostile ships, with weapon-switching enabled. Without modding the game. So awesome!

Also, there's new ships and stuff, and you can form fleets and invade sectors, and COME ON, PEOPLE, THERE'S A WAR GOING ON HERE and yeah. So awesome.
    #
    Amarth 12 years ago
    It's not entirely new, but Realm of the Mad God is amazing.

AMAAAAZIIIIING.

It's like an MMORPG but then it's completely different because it's actually a shooter but it's also maybe a roguelike and well it's also made out of 110% craziness which adds another nice touch.

I love it.
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    So I started playing Morrowind for the first time--

Why are you looking at me like that? Yes, I know, I'm about 9 years late to the party. That said, this is a completely different end-user experience from other RPGs I've played recently, and I like it. A lot.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    So I started playing Morrowind for the first time--

Why are you looking at me like that? Yes, I know, I'm about 9 years late to the party. That said, this is a completely different end-user experience from other RPGs I've played recently, and I like it. A lot.
    Are you playing with mods? Regardless of your answer, grab these files for Galsiah's Character Development v1.08, a version I have been unable to find anywhere on the internet since I obtained my copy years ago. Galsiah's Character Development is easily the best leveling mod for Morrowind ever, and the only mod I refuse to play without.

If your computer can handle it, I also heartily recommend the Morrowind Overhaul, because it looks damned pretty.
    #
    NeoGangster 12 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    ...X3: Albion Prelude is absolutely fantastic. I'd only heard about it about four days before it came out,...
    I heard about it a day after it came out and was cursing egosoft to make me pay another 10€ for getting an add-on, then I realized I got it for free because of the Superbox yay xD

I have to say the stock market is pretty op. Never before did I make 200 million credits in 2 hours play time with just 100k starting credits.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Amarth 12 years ago
    2011 is almost done, so... What are your top 3 games of the year? Only 2011 releases!

For me, it'll probably be
    *Batman: Arkham City
    *Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    *To The Moon

You guys?
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    In no particular order:

- Skyrim
    - Portal 2
    - Magicka
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    - Skyrim
    - Portal 2
    - Terraria
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Certainly Portal 2. And Minecraft, which was technically only released as a complete game this year. So yeah, I can only count these two.

And while I'm here, are any of you guys interested in trading Steam Christmas items?

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Sequence. Terraria.
    #
    Vacuus 12 years ago
    Witcher 2.
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Skyrim was fun but not quite up to the standards of the others. I also found the alchemy/enchanting/smithing bug quite early on which resulted in uber restoration and enchanting potions of doom, leading to an apron of fortify smithing 50000% points, ~70000 armour, practical magickal immunity, ability to pick any lock in the game without moving the lockpick and 1-shot sword stabs on everything including Alduin. Oh well.

Games I got late but also enjoyed in 2011:
    Mount&Blade Warband. Multiplayer is actually fun.
    Magicka.
    Civ IV (primarily with mods)

My last Morrowind playthrough was in 2010 w. >150 mods enabled. Screenshots here:
    http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy128/Charonte_/Morrowind/
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    So guess what happened on the 4th? Katawa Shoujo came out.

If you've never heard of Katawa Shoujo, perhaps Wikipedia can help. If you don't mind losing the rest of your day and/or can withstand the lure of TVTropes, you might also like to check TVTropes.

Let me just say this: it is the first time a game has made me cry. Ever.

EDIT: Oh, and uh, not safe for work or children under 18. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I might maybe take a peek. But, the story of how the game came to be is also very interesting.

[Edit]
    Legal torrent. 3400 seeders.
    This technology is VASTLY underused it seems.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Doublepost time!

Also, minor (and completely non-revealing) spoiler alert in next-to-last paragraph.

Okay. I just returned to my flat (3 hours by train from home). I managed to download KS before I left, and installed it in the train. And started playing (more like reading) it.

I literally did not notice two hours flying by.
    The entire setting is very unsettling somehow, while still being quite possible. It DOES require a healthy amount of suspension of disbelief, but the entire story is very human, very relatable.

I'm still pretty much at the beginning, and I can fully understand the protagonists struggle to fit in. I changed school four times in my life (not counting actually finishing one type of school and advancing to another), and had to fit in each of those times. The worst time was when I transferred to Poland for good. It wasn't even the language (I didn't speak polish at the time), learning it felt more like a formality than a challenge (you just pick up language when you hear it all the time), but the people were completely different from what I used to, and there were many situations where things just felt weird for me.

Anyways; I really like the attention to arbitrary details in the text. For example, the protagonist at one point complains that carrying a can of paint is uncomfortable, because the wire cuts into his hands.

I'm not really into visual novels, but this is something wonderful.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    Also, minor (and completely non-revealing) spoiler alert in next-to-last paragraph.

[...]

Anyways; I really like the attention to arbitrary details in the text. For example, the protagonist at one point complains that carrying a can of paint is uncomfortable, because the wire cuts into his hands.
    That is not even remotely a spoiler, but I'm sure someone appreciates your circumspection.

Narvius said:
    I'm not really into visual novels, but this is something wonderful.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I finished reading it two days ago. I got one of the possibly most upbeat endings there are, at least I assume so looking at the entire setting. I can't bring myself to restart it to see another branch, because I kind of feel that the story is closed.

I will though, at some point, since it is certainly worth it. If you judge the value of a piece by how it makes you think, this is worth... a lot.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    This is tangentially related to gaming at best, but Magnus "SoulEye" Pålsson, who did the soundtrack to VVVVVV, has a new album called Adventure that includes some remixed songs from VVVVVV. If you liked VVVVVV's soundtrack, it's pretty nice. I mean, I think it's good. [/rambling]
    #
    Endymion 12 years ago
    The Age of Decadence Beta is out today.
    It's a RPG set in a low-magic post-apocalyptic world inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire.

A combat demo of it was released a couple of years ago.
    (a bit old) interview with the dev.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Audiosurf... on air.

http://air.audio-surf.com/

#
    Amarth 12 years ago
    E_net4 said:
    Audiosurf... on air.

What is this? What's the difference with Plain Old Audiosurf?
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Amarth said:
    E_net4 said:
    Audiosurf... on air.

What is this? What's the difference with Plain Old Audiosurf?
    You ask me? I have no clue, but I do not wish to be the last one to know.
    #
    MageKing17 11 years ago
    GOG.com is offering Fallout for free. It won't last long, but hey, if you haven't already bought it...
    #
    harwe 11 years ago
    Tribes: Ascend just came out. It's free and if anyone likes the fast paced shooters, this is for you.
    Edited 11 years ago
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: