Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

Marevix 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    "Marevix" said:
    ... they have their strengths/weaknesses.
    Coincidentally, I lost interest when I realized that everyone playing except me is a friggin' expert.

Well, there's a couple ways of fixing that.
    1. Playing against bots until you can pwn their highest difficulty, or
    2. Emulating other peoples' tactics.

Tribes 2 has bots, and the original has mods for them (I don't think they're as good, though). Not sure about T:V.
    #
    ahrenjb 16 years ago
    90% of mods in Tribes 1 don't require a client-side download. That is why you couldn't find much.

Open up the Tribes 1 server browser and there will be hundreds of open servers, about 1/3 which have some real activity going on. The mod the server is running is part of the server listing, making it very easy to find your favorite mods. There is an excellent construction mod called ModX, run by ClanMX, which I am a member of.

I prefer Tribes 1 honestly, but it is all player opinion.

Quake 3, The Ur-Quan Masters, or Lemming Ball Z anyone?

Oh yeah, PLASMA PONG!!!
    #
    Barebones 16 years ago
    Pfft, Clan MX.

I have beef with them, what can I say.

Honestly, only DE would break the encryption and proceed to put code in to ban E-DoG from all the servers. Thats just screwed up beyond belief. So what if E-DoG was trying to break the clan, the clan was going to hell and that wasn't going to hurt it further. Now its just DE running the show, and so far the MX server is crap, I hope Doc whines when he can't abuse anymore.

Tribes related stuff, disregard if it appears off-topic to you.

Tribes related modding however is dead. There are approximately 4 different mods that are now commonly played, the rest (and the most unique) are close to dead. DUNE was a great mod not played often, the ATF clan split anyways so the ATF mod died (very good balance), and RB just gets worse and worse in my opinion. Annihilation community is really starting to suck just as much as the Shifter community does.

So basically Tribes is defined mostly by its mod communities.

And Modx is a mod no longer in development because DE says he can mod when he actually can't.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:
    Oh yeah, PLASMA PONG!!!
    That game looks AWESOME. I've got a lot of the settings up high and it still runs well. As for gameplay, it's just another pong game, except with fluid dynamics (IIRC). I haven't played it in a while, though.

Hmm, I'm starting to miss that semi-sandbox mode it had to play with the physics engine... Now THAT was fun.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    It should still have it, unless it was changed the last few weeks.

And yeah, it's an incredible piece of software. Fluid computation is freaking hard.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    Wow. I have the original version, and apparently, v1.3 has been out for a while! The screenshots look awesome for this version, so I'm gonna get it.
    #
    NeoGangster 16 years ago
    Just found a funny mini game, well it's about bitchslapping xD
    Here is the Game
    And if you think it's easy then try the play it on hard >_>
    #
    ahrenjb 16 years ago
    Can't forget Gunz

Or Soldier Front

Or Gunbound

All of which can be found on IJJI's site.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ijji.com">http://www.ijji.com</a><!-- m -->
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Gunz... my cousin became addicted to it. Be careful!
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Gunz is quite a nice game because there are a lot of techniques you have to master to compete against the best players. It's quite fast paced and with lots of different tactics you can fight with. The only drawback was the big lag some other players had, so I couldn't play properly (lag is a major issue in fast paced games)
    #
    NeoGangster 16 years ago
    The greatest drawback of Gunz is it's community, just about everyone is a flamer and if you are good you get kicked from every game. The Questmode is nice too, for a while, but the rewards you get from the bosses aren't worth the time :/
    #
    Click 16 years ago
    anyone ever heard of tremulous?

originally a quake3 mod, it turned into a stand alone open source game. it's a lot like natural selection.

i was active in it's community for a good half-year, playing regularly until i was regarded as prosauce. good game. i would even to so far to claim it as the best free open sourced fps out there.
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    Ive been hosting a server for tremulous for about a year now..... though my server is known to lag alot due to the immense amounts of buildings getting built every single game..... and in my opinion, i agree its one of the best open sourced fps out there
    prosauce?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Now that I'm playing it again, I should tell you about it.

Castle of the Winds is a classic RPG game.
    You won't find any good graphics, but it's still fun.
    Also, you won't be able to find the full version, but you can still have the shareware version.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Castle of the Winds is a classic RPG game.
    You won't find any good graphics, but it's still fun.
    Also, you won't be able to find the full version, but you can still have the shareware version.
    Some more info. It's a roguelike, and a damn easy one at that. And the game was released as freeware by the author, see Liberated Games for more info and downloads.

I played it a few years ago, found it fairly fun. Not sure what I'd think of it now.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Yay!
    Time to play!
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    More interesting stuff... They released the first C&C as free download (at least for now)!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/default.aspx?id=61#NewsMain">http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/ ... 1#NewsMain</a><!-- m -->

Well, I have the discs here, but if you haven't played it, do so... It's a classic.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    I'm just downloading it because it's a classic. Else, I wouldn't.

Edit: Dang, I can't download.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago
    This looks interesting...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.station.sony.com/casualProduct.vm?Id=039">http://www.station.sony.com/casualProduct.vm?Id=039</a><!-- m -->

I'll give my after-thoughts about it after I play. This thing comes with it's own map-editor and a really small file to download. Plus, it seems really innovative.

Edit: What the... what does Sony Online Entertainment have anything to do with this game? And it seems that you need those 5 icons (!) in your desktop to play... Chances are I'll prolly not play this at all.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kotaku.com/gaming/ea/ea-buys-bioware-pandemic-309937.php">http://kotaku.com/gaming/ea/ea-buys-bio ... 309937.php</a><!-- m -->

Blergh.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    I fail to see whether they know what they're doing.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago
    'Tis teh lord of awesome.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php">http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php</a><!-- m -->
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    No Pic, no click. Also, I'm not into RTS at the moment.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    I hate those abstract shooter things.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Playing Wesnoth again. Still awesome.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Pretty interesting. Immediately designed three superships. Control scheme is interesting, but doesn't work as well for large engagements... more fun to just have one or two ships and micromanage.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Okay.

Quake Wars.

Just played the demo. GREAT STUFF. Played as the Strogg Infiltrator (basically QW-s covert ops). 'twas filled with awesome.

"Why, yes, hello, fellow human. Wonderful sniping position you've picked out here. It must have taken you a great deal of effort to get to it. Let's hold up, i'll cover you with my inconspicuous generic assault rifle." *stab*
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Ah, another game I won't play 'till I gets me a new computar.
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    I finally managed to "borrow" Max Payne from one of my friends again. It's been so long since I played that totally awsome game.

So, I slam the cd into the tray and install it. When it's done I imideatly launches it. Having Vista, I was worried something awfull might happen, but everything goes the right way. The menu appears, and I click new game. The game loads for a few seconds. Then it crashes! DAMN YOU BILL GATES AND YOUR INCOMPETENT VISTA!!! I pray dx10 is worth all of these compatibility problems, or else I swear to God I will make Bill Gates wish he was never born.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Dude... why the fuck do you have Vista anyhow? Everyone knows it sucks atm...
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    Because I couldn't afford XP. Yea, that's right. The site I bought my computer from actually demanded 1500 kroner(200 euros) extra for XP.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    Because I couldn't afford XP. Yea, that's right. The site I bought my computer from actually demanded 1500 kroner(200 euros) extra for XP.
    The site acted in a smart way, then.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    ...who the hell pays for windows, anyway?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    ...who the hell pays for Linux, anyway?
    Fix'd.

...what? Just a joke.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    ...who the hell pays for windows, anyway?
    Businesses, mostly. And everyone who buys a complete computer from store these days.

The ones who don't are exceptions. And those who pirate are miserable exceptions.
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: