Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

Vacuus 12 years ago
    Check sustainable ampere ratings on +12V Rails for your PSU, 8800 GTS shouldn't use a great deal but even so 90% of power is drawn from the 12V rails these days; don't think 3.3/5 volt has been prominent since the P1/P2 era?

'Cheap' PSU's base peak wattage either on the power avaliable on unused rails or the number of amps for each rail at peak usage which is not sustainable for any given amount of time. I learnt the hard way that skimping on a PSU is one worst decisions you could make when building a PC.

There are a couple of other factors that can screw with the reliability of your system, but providing it's all within ATX spec it probably wont matter too much.

Just a further FYI, neither single 12v nor multiple rail tech is better than the other; multi-rail (i.e dual) was first brought in years ago in order to prevent overloading that was possible on a single rail design, modern PSU's are sophistacted enough so that this is no longer relevant however.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    Speaking of graphics cards, my drivers seem to have managed to set themselves on fire, bluescreening the computer every ten minutes or so a day or two back. After messing with the bloody things for two hours (in the process of which I have learned that apparently even the Administrator account cant deal with drivers that just WONT GO AWAY) I figured an OS reinstall was in order, so I dug out my pristine, never used, really gonna install this one of these days, copy of Win 7... and was up and running in half an hour. Huh.

I didnt even KNOW you could use the words Microsoft and competence in one sentence.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I just wondered. How many DF players do we have?
    #
    Crazy 12 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I played a little. I think everyone who is active did. I mean, we had that whole thing with the game we played and stuff.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    "Narvius" said:
    I played a little. I think everyone who is active did. I mean, we had that whole thing with the game we played and stuff.

Not me, I tried so many times on the recommendation of so many people.
    Could. Not. Get. Into. It.
    I don't know why, I love ASCII games, I love buildy-strategy-obsession games, and all the let's plays are great.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I did take yet another peek not so long ago. But I was tired of seeing dwarves that "like working outdoors and only grumble mildly at inclement weather"... and of bleeding to death in adventure mode, which isn't so fun (though DF is meant to be).
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    I gave it about five minutes. I stopped when I realized that I could actually scroll the menus and shat myself at how many skills there are.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Well, there *is* a lot of stuff. You'll probably need a six-pack of new pants when you start seeing the available buildings, the available items and the available... well, anything, for that matter.
    I don't see why that is a problem, though. Once you realize you probably need only a dozen or so jobs in the beginning, at least.
    "E_net4" said:
    But I was tired of seeing dwarves that "like working outdoors and only grumble mildly at inclement weather"...
    What does that have to do with anything? OO
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    But I was tired of seeing dwarves that "like working outdoors and only grumble mildly at inclement weather"...
    What does that have to do with anything? OO
    You know what I mean... like... stuph.
    Do you like cows for their haunting moos?
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    I did play it a few times. Turns out, the biggest danger a fortress in a remotely safe location can face is... the river freezing before the cistern is finished when the Overseer doesnt know how to beer make.

EDIT: That and the two most important dwarves walling themselves inside said cistern when its about to be filled with ludicrous amounts of water.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    I have been avoiding Dwarf Fortress because I already have no free time. If I pick up a game with that kind of learning curve, my already-negative free time is going to pull itself into a negative space wedgie and devour my house.

No thank you.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    I dont know, what with the usually small amounts of free time avaiable, Id be suprised if the universe represented it with anything longer than an integer... if you add Dwarf Fortress to an already negative value, you might just get lucky and overflow! All the free time in the world!

here, have a free cookie, as an apology for the lame joke
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Feel the excitement! We're about 9 hours away from Portal 2!
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    So, Portal 2s ending.

...wow. That is all.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I guess from now on until I obtain and finish Portal 2, I have to stay away from IRC and this thread. Grrrrrreat.
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I guess from now on until I obtain and finish Portal 2, I have to stay away from IRC and this thread. Grrrrrreat.
    I have to stay away indefinitely, then. *Facepalm at self*

On the bright side, I wrote an acceptably-functional expression in GMod Wiremod that lets you fly a pod with nothing but an E2 chip and an advanced pod controller. (It's just that I only tested it heavily with the SBEP vehicles, so it's EVEN MORE disorienting when used with the original prisoner pod.)
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    On the bright side, I wrote an acceptably-functional expression in GMod Wiremod that lets you fly a pod with nothing but an E2 chip and an advanced pod controller. (It's just that I only tested it heavily with the SBEP vehicles, so it's EVEN MORE disorienting when used with the original prisoner pod.)
    It's good to know you're making cool contraptions.

As for Portal 2: I loved it! I finished single player right in the first day, and completed all the coop test courses. Now there's always the chance to complete the achievements, look for easter eggs and help other fellows complete their coops.

The ending is so nice too.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    Many internet resources nowadays use DISQUS. It's slow, is it only for me?
    @EDIT Oh noes, it should've gone to other thread... Sorry.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Does someone remember my enthusiastic praising of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl? Well. Now, I'm enthusiatically praising STALER: Call of Prypiat. It is pure awesome, although you might want to get the Complete mod (bugfixes and aestethics craep). Go obtain, for your own good.
    #
    NeoGangster 12 years ago
    I think the artifacts in Call of Prypiat were way too easy to find and way too underpowered
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    After extended perusal of the recreative software commonly known as "Rockband: The Beatles" and the resulting increase in awareness of the organized vibrations authored by the Beatles I came to the conclusion that I, in fact, shall never again disclose, or even hold, detrimental opinions regarding people holding the real life equivalents of the said softwares main protagonists in high regards.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Ok...

So how are the songs in that one?
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    The drums are weird, challenging. Interesting fills at the ends. And exhausting at times. That's pretty much everything I can say (I've been banished to drumming due to no one liking it. I prefer it over the guitars).
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    It might not be that they don't like the drums. It's about having to pay more than the solo guitar bundle for them.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Well, *they* didn't pay anything, it's my investment
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    Well, *they* didn't pay anything, it's my investment
    Oh. I actually thought you meant they didn't like the drums, whereas you actually meant they didn't like you playing them.

The drums are still expensive as heck.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    No, I *did* mean them not liking playing them...

wait... wtf

And also OMG SPACECHEM IS AWESOME DROOL.
    #
    Murska 12 years ago
    I only have GH3 and 4 because they're for PC and the others aren't, which makes me sad.

I don't play with friends much, either, since I've only one working guitar. But I'm the best user of said guitar in my town.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    I only have GH3 and 4 because they're for PC and the others aren't, which makes me sad.
    This.

"Narvius" said:
    And also OMG SPACECHEM IS AWESOME DROOL.
    Wat.

And this is to prevent my post from being ridiculously short.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Puzzle / pseudoprogramming game in the vein of The Codex of Alchemical Engineering / Manufactoria, but with the awesome up to eleven, over nine-thousand, and also kicked up a notch. Look up the WIT on RPS.

Which reminds me. Is seriously NO ONE here playing Kingdom of Loathing?
    #
    Amarth 12 years ago
    I played KoL about... 5 years ago? I evaluated it as quite pointless and I don't think it has grown many points by now.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    Made it to ascention once. Then the time to do that was essentially doubled. That did not make me happy.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Yesterday I've bought The Last Remnant and now I'm after six hours of playing it.

It's awesome. Seriously. At first, the battle system looks completely minimalistic and full of phail (you lack control over individual characters, you just give general commands a lá "Attack", "Use battle arts", "Heal" and so on, and the characters do something roughly like that), but after a while it turns out to beat each and every turn-based JRPG-style battle system out there. It's not afraid to make things completely different. There are no random encounters. You can basically choose the scale of the battles, after six hours I'm fighting 9 vs. 20 skirmishes, even though I could pick enemies 4-5 at a time. The story so far is interesting enough. It looks beautiful, and with a bit of tweaking the last few graphic glitches can be stomped out (that shouldn't be necessary, but the game more than makes up for it). So far, minimal grinding. There are a few mechanics that are completely unexplained, but most phenomena have an accompanying tutorial text the first time they're encountered (stuff like flanking).

I highly recommend this game.

[Edit]
    I forgot to praise the soundtrack. It's awesome.

I should be preparing my presentation I have to give in two weeks.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I should be preparing my presentation I have to give in two weeks.
    Yes, and looks you're stumped.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I just finished a two-and-a-half hour Rockband drumming session (story mode in The Beatles, on hard, finished in one sitting). Lowest hit percentage was 92%, highest 99%, median somewhere 97% I think. I'm proud of myself. And my hands hurt. And leg. And tonight I'll dream of it.
    My previous small print still holds...
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: