Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • 1
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

    Pete 3 years ago
    Im given to understand SimCity 5 doesnt actually HAVE a singleplayer component. Its all online.

    Yes it is silly.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    It sounds like it does indeed have a singleplayer mode, but it works like one-player multiplayer. SimCity has been exclusively single-player since the first game. You can't just suddenly screw over your older players because Facebook brainwashed casual gamers into playing not-really-multiplayer social games, which is exactly what SimCity 5 sounds like.

    Edit: EA just patched the game servers to "disable some non-critical features", among other things. They make a traditionally singleplayer game multiplayer, and then it doesn't work. Ha.

    Edited 3 years ago
    #
    Grim Reaper 3 years ago
    So apparently the Humble Bundle people started up a weekly sale thing.

    Which is nice.
    #
    Kario 3 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    So apparently the Humble Bundle people started up a weekly sale thing.

    Which is nice.

    I always thought those Humble Bundles were only on the holidays.
    #
    Grim Reaper 3 years ago
    Kario said:
    Grim Reaper said:
    So apparently the Humble Bundle people started up a weekly sale thing.

    Which is nice.
    I always thought those Humble Bundles were only on the holidays.
    I think it's more of an "every now and then" kind of affair instead of any specific time of year.

    Plus this isn't a bundle, really. It's one game (potentially with goodies), and I would hazard a guess that the other weekly sales will be similar in that regard.
    #
    Pete 3 years ago
    *defibrillates the thread*

    So Im not sure if it came up before, but Ive been playing a lot of Kerbal Space Program lately. Fun times, check it out if you havent already. Some screenshots of my space program so far.
    #
    NeoGangster 3 years ago
    you just made me realize that I was so focused on building rovers since the latest patch that I didn't look how reentry effects look
    #
    Endymion 3 years ago
    So, the latest Humble Bundle is pretty awesome, especially now that they added 4 more games to it.
    Edited 3 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 3 years ago
    If you like space sims, RTS games, or both, you might want to take a look at Void Destroyer. Not only can you fly around and get involved in fast-paced dogfights, but you can also issue orders from the tactical screen in an almost Homeworld-esque fashion. Even more interestingly, the flight model is fully newtonian; ships have a "cruise" speed, but that's just the maximum speed at which the ship is able to easily compensate for direction changes; not only can you exceed that speed at any time by continuing to thrust, you can also disable automatic thrusting and glide across a battlefield. There's also a "gravity drive" to make travel between major landmarks less annoying, but if you actually want to make a newtonian trip between two bases, you can.

    The UI could definitely use some work (he's been releasing patches throughout the kickstarter campaign for little bugs and complaints), but it's still very interesting... even at this early stage.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    Void Destroyer looks like a cross between the gameplay of Allegiance and the music from Fury3.

    ... Of course, both of those were Microsoft games, so Void Destroyer should be much better. And it shouldn't flop as a commercial venture while becoming a cult classic as freeware. Nor be the beginning of a mostly forgettable game studio.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    Do my eyes deceive me, or has Garry Newman silently released Garry's Mod for Linux?

    ... No, seriously, it's in my games list, but I can't find ANY mention of it officially. And I can't just try it because Intel Graphics.
    #
    MageKing17 3 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Void Destroyer looks like a cross between the gameplay of Allegiance and the music from Fury3.
    Allegiance was an MMO; Void Destroyer is singleplayer.

    For Microsoft game comparisons, I'd say it's closer in feeling to Urban Assault (player has a command unit present on the battlefield; core gameplay is RTS, but you can control any individual unit), but more Homeworld-esque.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Void Destroyer looks like a cross between the gameplay of Allegiance and the music from Fury3.
    Allegiance was an MMO; Void Destroyer is singleplayer.

    For Microsoft game comparisons, I'd say it's closer in feeling to Urban Assault (player has a command unit present on the battlefield; core gameplay is RTS, but you can control any individual unit), but more Homeworld-esque.
    Hmm. I haven't played Urban Assault or Homeworld, but I'm pretty sure Allegiance doesn't count as an MMO. It's a hybrid RTS/space sim for sure, though.

    Either way, Void Destroyer has acheived its intended effect: it looks like an improved version of other space RTS games. More importantly, it looks like fun, and, slowly but surely, it's getting support on Kickstarter.

    Edited 3 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 3 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Hmm. I haven't played Urban Assault or Homeworld, but I'm pretty sure Allegiance doesn't count as an MMO. It's a hybrid RTS/space sim for sure, though.
    Okay, it's not massively-multiplayer (I was misremembering), but instead of giving orders and ships carrying them out, the Commander-player gives orders and they show up as objectives for the Pilot-players. You also can't switch from commanding ships to flying ships and vice versa at any time.

    Also, how have you never played Homeworld or Homeworld 2? :O
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    Also, how have you never played Homeworld or Homeworld 2? :O
    Because all of our money is earmarked for other things, and I'm still waiting for a call back on a job application.

    Fret not, 'cause I have a massive pile of games I own but haven't played, including most of the Myst franchise and a surprising number of Microsoft games. Which, once again, are waiting for money, but to build an older computer.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    I've been posting in this thread a lot. I'm glad everyone's so chill about double-posting. >.>

    So, the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft have been revealed now. The new 360 revision is physically attractive but not really necessary, the Xbox One and the PS4 are essentially the same major hardware with important differences in minor hardware, and all of the above are modest-looking black boxes that are much less stylized than previous generations. If I had to pick one because it would look good on my desk, though, it'd be the PS4. The Xbox One is too VCR, but the PS4 looks kind of like a small desktop computer. (It's also cheaper and properly supports used games properly, but nobody cares about that, or they would have bragged about it at E3 to spite Microsoft. What's that you say? They did?)

    ... Oh, and there's one little detail that bothers me the most. Because the major name for a console (as in, The Xbox) is commonly (Ubiquitously?) used to refer to the newest iteration of said console, and the new Xbox is called the Xbox One, there is now no short-winded way to refer to the original Xbox, should anyone find it necessary. (Like me. Because I have One. Er, I mean, I have The Xbox. Wait-- GAH.)
    #
    MageKing17 3 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    I've been posting in this thread a lot. I'm glad everyone's so chill about double-posting. >.>
    I'll be honest, I don't care about double-posting because it's a sign of life here.

    Anonymous1157 said:
    So, the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft have been revealed now. The new 360 revision is physically attractive but not really necessary, the Xbox One and the PS4 are essentially the same major hardware with important differences in minor hardware, and all of the above are modest-looking black boxes that are much less stylized than previous generations. If I had to pick one because it would look good on my desk, though, it'd be the PS4. The Xbox One is too VCR, but the PS4 looks kind of like a small desktop computer. (It's also cheaper and properly supports used games properly, but nobody cares about that, or they would have bragged about it at E3 to spite Microsoft. What's that you say? They did?)
    The "instructional video" was hilarious... "Here you go!" "Thanks!" Quite a few people have started to refer to the Xbone as the "XboneD".

    Also, this.

    Anonymous1157 said:
    ... Oh, and there's one little detail that bothers me the most. Because the major name for a console (as in, The Xbox) is commonly (Ubiquitously?) used to refer to the newest iteration of said console, and the new Xbox is called the Xbox One, there is now no short-winded way to refer to the original Xbox, should anyone find it necessary. (Like me. Because I have One. Er, I mean, I have The Xbox. Wait-- GAH.)
    I ran into the exact same problem this weekend, when I said "Xbox 1" to mean "The original Xbox" and immediately had it pointed out to me. So I then just said "the original Xbox" every time I needed to refer to it, which was fortunately just twice more. A bit awkward in conversation (almost like "The Artist Formerly Known as Xbox").
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    The "instructional video" was hilarious... "Here you go!" "Thanks!" Quite a few people have started to refer to the Xbone as the "XboneD".

    Also, this.
    I can't believe we've actually reached a point in society where advertising that your console supports used games is a thing. Consoles are/were one of the last territories where, as long as you have the disc, you can play the game.

    Maybe it wouldn't be so confusing to people if Microsoft just came out and said, "You're actually buying a license to play the game, and a convenient copy of the game files to speed up install." PC gamers understood that immediately, what with Steam already working in such a way. And everyone seems to understand that that's exactly how the games sold over Live will work, except without a disk. It's still better than Nintendo locking purchases to a specific console, 'cause you can always log in with your gamertag somewhere else. (I call Microsoft taking jabs at Nintendo, if they're going to attack the competition at all.)

    Hey, if the Xbox One actually takes off, this could theoretically lead to lower prices for games! Game companies making triple-A games would be encouraged to lower prices because they don't necessarily have to make physical media anymore, so they could sell more copies while still making the same profit per game. Of course, that won't actually happen, because A) they'll leave the prices high anyways, or B) the Xbone will fail.

    ... Also, I don't get the told joke.
    #
    MageKing17 3 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Hey, if the Xbox One actually takes off, this could theoretically lead to lower prices for games! Game companies making triple-A games would be encouraged to lower prices because they don't necessarily have to make physical media anymore, so they could sell more copies while still making the same profit per game. Of course, that won't actually happen, because A) they'll leave the prices high anyways, or B) the Xbone will fail.
    Or C) the cost of physical media was never behind the ridiculous cost of games, so the XboneD will have no impact on it.

    Anonymous1157 said:
    ... Also, I don't get the told joke.
    "Urban Dictionary" said:
    1. told
    To be put in one's place, whether in the form of a humiliating insult, beating, or other form of defeat.

    2. told
    To verbally abuse someone so bad they have nothing left to say.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    Anonymous1157 said:
    ... Also, I don't get the told joke.
    "Urban Dictionary" said:
    1. told
    To be put in one's place, whether in the form of a humiliating insult, beating, or other form of defeat.

    2. told
    To verbally abuse someone so bad they have nothing left to say.
    And now I get the told joke! HA!
    #
    Narvius 3 years ago
    Making bad decisions:
    Buying FTL just before an exam.

    It's waaaaay more exciting than I thought it would be.

    WHY THE HELL ARE YOU MISSING THE WEAPON THING
    HIT THE WEAPON THING
    YOU WANT TO SURVIVE, DON'T YOU?
    HIT THE GODDAMN WEAPON THING
    IT WILL GET OFF ANOTHER MISSILE
    HELL YES
    NOW FINISH IT OFF

    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

    Edited 3 years ago
    #
    E_net4 3 years ago
    Oyay, games! I've actually played that kind of stuff again recently.

    ... Tomb Raider. Not the latest one, I mean the series. I'm sort of trying to beat them all from TR1 to TR:Underworld. Sad thing is that I'm getting stuck in TR2 too often...
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    I've been contemplating playing through the entire Tomb Raider series myself, but two things are stopping me. First of all, I'm still missing Chronicles. Secondly, my only PlayStation memory card is full because Gran Turismo 2 needs five frickin' blocks to save.

    I haven't played much of anything myself lately. >.>
    #
    Narvius 3 years ago
    Goddamn Fire Emblem: Awakening. A friend of mine lended/lent(?) his 3DS for a few days. I'm making use of it. Intense. Use.

    I haven't played so much at once in ages.
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    Steam is having its Summer Sale right now, which means that many of the games in the Steam catalog are about 50% off, or as much as 75%. The store just gracefully failed for me due to high load, though, so be patient!

    In related news, somebody I know went and bought me Antichamber. I don't actually have a computer capable of gaming right now (The thirty second playtimes in my history are the Source engine throwing a fatal error), but believe me, this is one of the first things I'm going to do when I get one. I really wanted this game.
    #
    Amarth 3 years ago
    Somebody I know also bought me Antichamber!

    Curious...
    #
    Grim Reaper 3 years ago
    It seems you can now sign up for the alpha version of Magicka: Wizard Wars, with various goodies on offer depending on how many sign up.
    #
    Quanrian 3 years ago
    harwe said:
    Has anyone played Don't Starve yet? It has similar survival style as Notrium, but still in beta so it does not have as much story/content. Much more towards cartoon and hand-drawn art style.

    This is done by one of my favorite studios (love their art) and well worth a purchase if you enjoyed Notrium. In fact, modding Notrium into this game would be beyond doable since the engine supports everything we did and then some. The newest twist was making the characters more unique, so unlocking them is beyond just stat changes and a character skin. Before that, Klei added a sanity bar which is essentially a stamina bar with game changing modifiers when it gets low enough and easily the most unique feature the game possesses. Above and beyond, the game is very original in how it handles just about everything and proves they're not a me-too studio.
    #
    Amarth 3 years ago
    *blinks*
    #
    Quanrian 3 years ago
    Amarth said:
    *blinks*

    Enjoy your tiny bits of sleep you get from blinking... apparently...
    #
    Anonymous1157 3 years ago
    *Stops holding his breath and gasps for air*
    #
    Narvius 3 years ago
    There are like six different people in the last dozen posts. Whoah.
    #
    SpeedBlade 3 years ago
    Quanrian said:
    Enjoy your tiny bits of sleep you get from blinking... apparently...

    o_o

    Edited 3 years ago
    #
    Endymion 3 years ago
    By the way Tiggit is nice, it's like steam for freeware games or something.
    #
    ville 3 years ago
    Endymion said:
    By the way Tiggit is nice, it's like steam for freeware games or something.

    That's a very nice system! I can see that all of my games have already been submitted to the suggestions list, nothing left for me to do...
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • 1
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • » next
  • Post Reply


    Your email:
    Your name: