Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Conway's Game of Life

Conway's Game of Life

Pete 12 years ago
Why yes, I made a game of life application. I know its kind of cliche, but hey, what the hell. It has pretty colors and everything, so I figure someone might get some enjoyment out of it.

NOTE: The intention is to throw in an import/export feature at some point in the nearby future. Its part of an assignment and I get a precious point per promising, preciously pretty pattern, so I figured some crowd sourcing wouldn't hurt.

Ye olde dropboxe linke

Edited 12 years ago
#
Anonymous1157 12 years ago
The contents are cutting off on the right side of the screen, but other than that, it's purty good. I like how the colors cross-breed; I don't think I've ever seen that in any Game of Life sim before. (The last time I saw something like that was in one of the original Spore tech demos.) It could probably use a randomizer, but that's not really a critical feature.
Edited 12 years ago
#
TNN17 12 years ago
I confess a certain weakness to the Game of Life at the best of times, with all these neat features I'm getting eye strain from staring at it too much, nicely done.
#
Pete 12 years ago
+1 import button
+1 export button
-1 heat on a square per tick spent dead
+2 delicious, delicious praise
+5 things expressed in numbers
#
E_net4 12 years ago
Somehow I managed to make the stop button actually stop doing its job. I really couldn't stop the simulation after whatever I did (which was not even too stupid). And the step changing feature, although useful, is not as trivial as a 'steps per second'. Not to mention that it doesn't seem to be working properly with high levels of step (can't do 1 simulation step per second, for instance).
Other than that, the heat tracking feature and independently coloured cells are something I haven't seen before. Creative, indeed.
Most professional Game of Life applications have a grid of theoretically infinite dimensions. If you could achieve this with your version, you'd get +9001 scores.
#
Pete 12 years ago
Is that what I labeled it as? Its actually milliseconds per step, so smaller = faster. Ive had the buttons stop working on me as well, which I think is a issue with the timer, but I havent looked into it yet.
#
MageKing17 12 years ago
I rather assumed the reason my "stop" button stopped working was due to my accidentally pressing "start" twice in a row, or something.

Nonetheless, while I have seen multi-color Life before, it was much more limited and didn't have the cool color-blending, so bravo for that. The "heat" feature is a bit interesting as well, although I didn't make much use of it since I was busy watching blue and red battle while purple kept forming and being diluted one way or the other... in hindsight, giving both colors explosive growth patterns may have been a mistake.

E_net4 said:
Most professional Game of Life applications have a grid of theoretically infinite dimensions. If you could achieve this with your version, you'd get +9001 scores.
I would just like to second this. At the very least, I'd like the ability to go fullscreen and have 1 pixel per cell, or something nearly as absurd (for maximum room to experiment in) (I'm not saying the whole screen should be cells... keep the UI, just convert as much screen space as possible to the board).
#
Anonymous1157 12 years ago
MageKing17 said:
E_net4 said:
I would just like to second this. At the very least, I'd like the ability to go fullscreen and have 1 pixel per cell, or something nearly as absurd (for maximum room to experiment in) (I'm not saying the whole screen should be cells... keep the UI, just convert as much screen space as possible to the board).
I third E's post and second MK's. How about even going so far as to hide the GUI when it's not in use, so that the whole screen really can be used for the simulation?

Also, I dunno whether you explicitly fixed the GUI cutting off or not, but it looks right now. (The background-mode button on the top-right is still a little long, but that's it.)
#
E_net4 12 years ago
Now THAT would be taking Conway's Game of Life to the extreme. Nevertheless, fixing the buttons should be made a priority at this point.
#
Pete 12 years ago
All of that sounds very interesting but I decided to make it 3D instead. And by decided I mean that was the last part of the actual assingment so now I can actually start fixing things or maybe even consider listening to POPULAR DEMANDS.

(link unchanged)
#
Forum » Conway's Game of Life

Your email:
Your name: