Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Quickie topic
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Quickie topic

Amarth 17 years ago
    You know, when you have that tiny question that doesn't merit it's own thread? Or that extremely funny thing you've seen on the internet? Post it here - a grab bag of random small things. I mean, every forum needs a thread like this, no?

All a load of blah for this wonderful comparison of (a small selection of) programming languages I found. How many can you identify? Also note the complete superiority of Perl, of course.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jeffpalm.com/fox/index.html">http://www.jeffpalm.com/fox/index.html</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    Which language is the really long one? I want to avoid it at all costs. XD
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    The only language I'd know is ASCII, and that is what I'd use in games such as Doom the Roguelike.

I believe there's definitely C++ in their but when it comes to coding, don't come to me crying how to make your robot blow up and rematerialize in just 3 seconds.

...That would be cewl.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Madgamer" said:
    The only language I'd know is ASCII, and that is what I'd use in games such as Doom the Roguelike.
    ASCII is not a language. It's a method of character encoding.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    "Quickie" makes me think of something entirely other than quick questions, you know?

Naughty, naughty Zombie! Bad girl!

*thwaps herself with a rolled up newspaper*
    #
    LunaticNeko 17 years ago
    ^ Same to me, Zombie. = ="

#include <stdio.h>
    void main()
    {
    printf("ASCII is still important for other kinds of programming, though. But it's not a language.");
    }
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "Zombie" said:
    "Quickie" makes me think of something entirely other than quick questions, you know?
    Of course

Anyway. The languages are, I think, like this:
    C, TeX, Postscript, assembly (Intel, I think, it's messy enough to be it), Perl.

TeX and Postscript are not really programming languages, they are typesetting systems. But since the problem is to write lines, that's fair.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    I can read all the topic posts, part in the conversation in the topic and for years never think of "quickie" in any other way than... well, you know.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    For some days ago, I heard that foreigners thinks norwegian sounds a bit like singing. Can somebody verify this claim?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Well, SOME think like that, yes. Or at least some think like that about SWEDISH. Dunno 'bout Norwegian, though.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Swedish and norwegian are essentially the same. Only some words and pronouncuations are different.
    #
    Assembly is supposed to be really fast when compiled, even if the actual code is impossible to read.
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    I could've sworn the long one was brainfuck language, but it looks a bit too short >.>
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Besides, Brainfuck consists of nothing but the eight symbols [ ] < > , . + - .
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Assembly is supposed to be really fast when compiled, even if the actual code is impossible to read.
    Your knowledge of computer architecture is... disturbingly small. Let me enlighten you.

ALL C code (and most other compiled non-VM languages) are translated to assembly on compiling. From there, it's a one-to-one mapping from the assembly commands into the (usually) 32 bits that make a processor instructions. Vocabulary: One 'compiles' a C program with a compiler, one 'translates' assembly code with an assembler.

Assembly isn't fast by nature. The opportunity you have when writing assembly is that you are programming the machine directly, without compilers interfering. Thus, it is possible to optimize stuff a LOT. Indeed, compilers need to be very careful with optimizations, because they do not know what code is supposed to do and a wrong optimization could break the code - a really bad thing for a compiler to do. However, with the assembly code, it might be possible to do the optimization your self.

However, it's also VERY easy to write code that runs a LOT slower in assembly. Poor knowledge of the computer you are writing for might contribute to this. Certain combinations of instructions run slowly. For example if you access memory, it takes a couple of clock cycles. If you need that data the very next step, the processor needs to stall the instructions, and you lose a few cycles. Do this a million times in a loop, and your code runs on (say) 25% the speed it could run. Reorder your instructions, and the code will run 4 times as fast. Assembly is a fickle beast, and you need to study computer architecture to be able to use it efficiently. Compilers are pretty good these days, so I highly suggest you don't do it .
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    My school just did the class schedule thingie for next year and I got into the programming class. Since I have no experience AT ALL you guys might like, help me do my homework or something

JK, but if times get tough, I know where to look.

By the way, the language they teach is Visual Basic and Java Client thingie. Wonder if any of you know those.

Oh yeah, this schedule is obviously not in effect until my sophomore year so 'expect the unexpected' or whatchmawantacallthisthingofshiznitsie. Latter seems to fit much better for me IMO.
    #
    LunaticNeko 17 years ago
    ^ Madgamer,
    I got "Advanced Computing" and "Programming and Algorithms" as electives next year. I'll be using the plain old C (and if they want to torture me, they have the right to add Assembly) for whole year. I hate old teachers >_<"

And that's the high school >_<"

If someone need help, I might not be able to help with the code. But possibly with the algorithm and logics.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Quickie revival. I hope you all think the same about George W as I do.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEDwcfJPSk">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEDwcfJPSk</a><!-- m -->
    #
    "Amarth" said:
    Quickie revival. I hope you all think the same about George W as I do.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEDwcfJPSk">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEDwcfJPSk</a><!-- m -->
    XD
    #
    ahrenjb 17 years ago
    All I know is ActionScript >w00t<

As for a tidbit for you all.

GiveAwayOfTheDay.com

That's an amazing concept. Every now and then they offer a truly exceptional product. Just check everyday and you won't miss anything.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:
    GiveAwayOfTheDay.com
    Pft. I've been following it for months. During all that time, I've seen nothing on it that I need and don't have yet as a freeware/open source alternative. Even the Game giveaway is boring. The only thing I downloaded during all that time is Master of Defense, and I got bored of it after a couple of hours.

If you find something you like, good for you I guess.
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    Vis Basic is easy...But can be frustrating to work with sometimes when you want to do something yet there is no "easy" "simple" way to do it. My school has had it for a while, but are getting rid of it next year because VisBasic 6.0 is all that works on the servers, but instead of fixing the problems (Security is so tight it makes learning some things in the language impossible) they get rid of the class. I'm taking Jave next Year
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Quickie news flash...

Ascended a valk in Nethack. Second ascension in the 8 years I'm playing.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Nethack, eh? Haven't played that one in a while..

Speaking of which, does anyone want to buy an old AGP 6800 for AU $80? You'll need to pay shipping, of course, but I don't need it anymore.
    #
    "Vacuus" said:
    does anyone want to buy an old AGP 6800 for AU $80? You'll need to pay shipping, of course, but I don't need it anymore.
    I--!

AGP? Sorry. I can't use that. By the way, what did you replace it with?
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    For great justice!
    #

If you have old NES and SNES controllers lying around, you MUST try this. It's so friggin' awesome when you do it right.
    #
    zerocoal 17 years ago
    wait.. what does it do? O_o
    #
    It should be obvious if you read the labels, but if you still can't tell, I suggest you click on it. It's a link, y'know.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    I bought a whole new system:
    Core 2 E6300 (I'll stab anyone who says it's the same as a Pentium D)
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Shame that the DQ6 was released a day after, for only $3 more)
    2gb Corsair DDR2 667mhz. 4-4-4-12 (Cheap as chips)
    Gainward Bliss 7600GT (Just a hold-me-over until the 8900 is released)
    Antec Titan (Awesome case. )
    Coolermaster Extreme 550w PSU (Regretting this).
    #
    "Vacuus" said:
    It's not. Core 2s are efficient. I should know. I have a pD 3GHz, and I had to buy a copper heatsink for a 3.8 to keep the temperatures down so that the northbridge doesn't overheat.
    "Vacuus" said:
    I thought they had ALREADY released that card. No, wait, that was the 8800. They're making a friggin' 8900!?
    "Vacuus" said:
    I just did an image search on this one. I wish I had waited on my new case, although I did need the one I have now badly for airflow.
    "Vacuus" said:
    These are some of the best-cooled power supplies, and they have kilowatt models, which you're really gonna need if you're actually buying that 8900.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Vacuus" said:
    I bought a whole new system:
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Shame that the DQ6 was released a day after, for only $3 more)
    2gb Corsair DDR2 667mhz. 4-4-4-12 (Cheap as chips)
    For once, I can honestly say my system is better than that.

I'll bet it cost more, though... >.>
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Heheh. I don't see the point in anything over an E6300 at the moment. Seriously. I haven't even started over clocking yet.

So, what's your system MK? Mine cost around $1100 AU, and I had to pay every single cent on my lowly KFC-Cooking-Casual rate.

Anon, 1kw isn't going to be nesescary for a long, long time. 2 8800GTX's in SLI, with an AMD FX-63 (uses more power than a Core 2), uses a little less than 500w. An 8900, then, shouldn't be using too much at all. BTW, the 8900 is nVidia's answer to the new ATI cards coming out soon (providing they don't get pushed back). ATI's been nothing but trouble for me, so no thanks.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Core 2 Duo 6600, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8800 GTS, 320 GB HDD. $2000 USD. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay for it.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Gah!
    <.<
    You get that for free? Man, lucky you.
    #
    Forum » Quickie topic
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: