Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Changing forum software?

Changing forum software?

ville 17 years ago
Alright, I'm opening up the official debate. The story is that we're being hit by adbots. Do you think changing to a different forum software would help, and which software should we use?

My initial argument is that changing to a different software would reduce spam since different forum software may be less targeted by spammers. But I have no idea whether that is true.
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
I say we change to SMF.
#
Amarth 17 years ago
Changing software will probably change something, but I'm not sure by what amount. phpBB is certainly the most targeted board out there, but... It's not hard to adapt those things to other boards.

It's kinda like IE vs Firefox... Exploits are appearing for Firefox nowadays, because Firefox usage is rising.

You should also keep in mind that you already have a pretty established list of banned spammer IPs. If you don't carry it over to your next board, spam might increase until you get the worst ones banned again.

If I take a look at one of the commercial spam programs (www dot botmaster dot net), they don't seem to support SMF, but they do support its predecessor, YaBB. I suppose there will be programs out there that tackle SMF or any other software, unless you write it yourself from the ground up.

EDIT: removed link - I'm not going to increase their pagerank.
#
Quanrian 17 years ago
Right now there isn't much the adbots can do. I also say that they're still being run by people with brains. I can tell you for a fact you can change whatever you like and they will find a way around it (these people have more time on their hands than we do). They've chosen to harass this board for whatever reason (maybe we're just that popular now ) and they're not just going to stop because we change software.
#
LunaticNeko 17 years ago
ILLEGAL COPY OF IPB!!! It's FREE LOL! Just kidding, it's the fellow bittorrent tracker I know who uses it.

Maybe SMF, ... it's light but can do stuffs neat, except when you try to use Thai there, it becomes #*%+.
#
Vacuus 17 years ago
I honest-to-god don't believe this forum is being "targeted" by anyone in particuler.

I think it's just the "Evolution of a Forum", where spammers find your adress.. Hell, I used to run a phpBB forum with a little over 15 active members, and that in itself was getting more spam than this forum has ever been.

Like Amarth said, though, it aint going to work for ever, however, for now, I can't see why not... Commercial solutions especially are almost guarenteed to have less spam due to their smaller user base.

That's not to say SMF is as bad as phpBB... I still think SMF is a better option than IPB, atleast for the moment. It's free and has no where near the same number of spam bots as phpBB...
#
ville 17 years ago
A simple way to ease the spam could be just to move the forum to a new folder. I'll have to see if that's easily doable.
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
"ville" said:
A simple way to ease the spam could be just to move the forum to a new folder. I'll have to see if that's easily doable.
Would you be so kind as to check my idea in the other thread? I do think it would be neatly confusing for the bots.
#
Zombie 17 years ago
I expanded on that idea and twisted it around a bit. It should stop all but the most devoted botters.
#
Forum » Changing forum software?

Your email:
Your name: