Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Spore Thread Vol. 2
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Spore Thread Vol. 2

Crazy 16 years ago
    I lost most hope as soon as the new videos we're released. It became... polished. D:
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Yeah, it's just a plain ugly thing polishing a game like Spore. Especially when you consider polish also means trimming the fat, and Spore has a whole lot of fat and very little real sustainence. It would of almost been better if it was just left completely experimental and they didn't try to make it into a game, but rather leave it as a toy, which is how I believe it started.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    That would've been very interesting. Let's hope the users will be able to participate in creating content for Spore besides just crafting new creatures, buildings, vehicles, and whatnot.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Is it possible to share such content?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    a sandbox game is a sandbox game. I, for one, can have weeks of fun discovering the possibilities in such a game.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Yes, I like sandbox games too.
    The limits are far, multiplied by our imagination.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    What I meant by content besides races, buildings, vehicles, etc. was things like scripts. Actual functionality for the game.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Yep, scripting is great.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    a sandbox game is a sandbox game. I, for one, can have weeks of fun discovering the possibilities in such a game.
    Yes, but it seems that they're moving away from that direction. Almost looks like they're adding a story to the game.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    "Idiota" said:
    Yes, but it seems that they're moving away from that direction. Almost looks like they're adding a story to the game.
    *Gives up on Spore*
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:

I disagree and here is why. A sandbox game is only as good as the results of your changes. I see way too many games claiming to be sandbox games these days, but how much can you 'actually' effect ? Sometimes the changes only last for a few minutes and do not spread outside of the small area you affected. If the game somehow circumvents the changes you made than you lose much of the ripple effect you ideally want to see in a sandbox. The downside to a sandbox after all is that there is nothing really stopping you from accidentally sabotaging yourself, much like real life, which is essentially what sandboxes seek to emulate.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    I disagree and here is why. A sandbox game is only as good as the results of your changes. I see way too many games claiming to be sandbox games these days, but how much can you 'actually' effect ? Sometimes the changes only last for a few minutes and do not spread outside of the small area you affected. If the game somehow circumvents the changes you made than you lose much of the ripple effect you ideally want to see in a sandbox. The downside to a sandbox after all is that there is nothing really stopping you from accidentally sabotaging yourself, much like real life, which is essentially what sandboxes seek to emulate.
    I would contend that those aren't actually sandbox games... after all, I can claim to be emperor of the world, but unless I actually conquer everything, people don't believe me, do they (assuming the mentally damaged don't count, of course)?
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    We don't EXACTLY know what the last stage (space) is all about, but when you can sorta do whatever you want to whatever planets out there, i would sorta call it a sandbox.

Ofcourse, what Idiota might've meant (and what was apparently terminologically nazified ("Hey! That'd make an awesome song title!" -Nathan Explosion)) is that it's free-ended to the point that you don't even have short-term goals/quests. You just advance through levels. Heck, if you don't wanna, you can probably even not do that.

Another chance, ofcourse, is that EA is slowly getting it's claws on Spore, caring for how it sells instead of the idea. Luckily enough, i am yet to see any question sheets a-la "What do you think of feature x in Spore", which is a rather sure indication that EA is taking control.

PS. On that last note, *shudder*
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    My one annoyance is that we've been told it will be possible to engage in interstellar diplomacy, but we've never been told how.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Well, Wright showed that one variant was playing music.

Ofcourse, that ended with the planet being blown up, but yeah...
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Well, Wright showed that one variant was playing music.

Ofcourse, that ended with the planet being blown up, but yeah...
    That was just first contact with an inferior species. We've had PLENTY of examples of how that works (monolith et all). I just want to know what happens when you meet a SUPERIOR or EQUAL species.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    You get your planet blown up.

...isn't that obvious?
    #
    ... By what? There's only one UFO on any one computer you play on at any time: yours. Unless, of course, they make it so that playing directly against other races over LAN is possible. Which is unlikely.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Since the planet regulates itself to your ecosystem needs as described earlier, I suppose they'll do the same for the planet. As such, there will be no other races you cannot handle.

Besides, indeed, once you start spacefaring with that uberufo you are pretty godlike. I'm not sure there are others like you around, though I doubt they'll do you any harm. I don't think this game is going to be hard or something. I don't think you'll be able to suddenly lose everything. That would be very... Un-Will-Wrighty.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    Tell THAT to sims dying in house fire.
    #
    "Pete" said:
    Tell THAT to sims dying in house fire.
    Tell THAT to my sprinkler system.

(Owned.)
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    Huh... The Sims had that?
    #
    "Pete" said:
    Huh... The Sims had that?
    No, but one of the Sims 2 expansion packs has it. I forgot which, though. Open for Business, maybe.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Release date news.

Long url

So, officially fiscal '09 by now (not sure what is was before). But according to a comment at slashdot, this would mean April 2008. Well, at earliest, it could be March '09 too.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    That still means 10 months or more to wait.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    ...It looks like all gaming companies are starting to overtake Valve time.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    New stuff!

Interview:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.g4tv.com/e32007/blog/post/677235/Maxis_VP_Patrick_Buechner_Talks_SPORE.html">http://www.g4tv.com/e32007/blog/post/67 ... SPORE.html</a><!-- m -->

Game footage:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.g4tv.com/e32007/blog/post/677234/Exclusive_SPORE_Footage.html">http://www.g4tv.com/e32007/blog/post/67 ... otage.html</a><!-- m -->

YouTube version of game footage:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AiadD1YVU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AiadD1YVU</a><!-- m -->
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Oh my!

...You can do all those stuff?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Oh my!

...Where have you been for the last two years?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    Oh my!

Away from Spore. ops:

So.. Spore = Action + Sandbox + RTS?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    Away from Spore. ops:

So.. Spore = Action + Sandbox + RTS?
    Spore = Everything.
    #
    Bubb9 16 years ago
    Spore will be the Greatest game ever made if they do it right
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    "Bubb9" said:
    Spore will be the Greatest game ever made if they do it right
    IF lol
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    ...once more, they proved that the cellular stage has gone to hell. *sigh* They should have kept the nice clean 2D look.

Also, Im back from a two weeks vacation, so Im kind of wondering, what happened to my quasi-rp topic?
    #
    You mean the one with the space station that almost crashed on three occasions?

Hell if I know.
    #
    Forum » Spore Thread Vol. 2
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: