Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Ville adding mutiplayer to notrium 2.

Ville adding mutiplayer to notrium 2.

speedblade 17 years ago
Ville has said that in the distant future after the full version of Cormoon he will make "Notrium 2", He has also said he will add A kind of multi player.

A way this can be done is an old fashion "players hosting and others joining" in a master server.

What the host can do is that he/she can make mods or maps that apply to the game that is being hosted while the players may just simply download the changes. But the host MAY NOT edit the game what so ever during gameplay, all the powers it can have is changing player limit (maximun amount of players can be set at a maximun of , saving game, loading game, restart or kicking players.

Gameplay on an multiplayer server can be on an unchanged, defealt large (host can make the game 10x10 to 40x40 rooms long maybe) server where some maps can be a jungle, desert, marsh etc. The planned/special maps would be anywhere randomly but if it is on a desert or a jungle type of plain then it would be placed beside a map/room thats has the same type on plain, or the whole server can be an custom made map.

Starting places, places where people spawn can be in one place or random but as for respawning... If you get kicked out of the server automaticly and lose everything but maybe you can join as a new surviver that crashlanded on the planet.

To trade build and to help others.. all you simply have to do is drop it and the other player picks it up and uses it to build, heal etc. Those who steal the item when drop can be just kicked.

Still alot of flaws in this possible gameplay explaination but you can probably get an pretty good Idea from this. I am sorry for any grammar or mispells.

EDIT: And oh yes, let us discuss this idea aswell...
#
Solus Lupus 17 years ago
Wow exactly what I would sugest. *eyes with suspicion* are you reading MY mind?
#
harwe 17 years ago
id say make it like an MMORPG not a top down shooter or stuff so there must be like dedicated servers etc
#
E_net4 17 years ago
Naa. It should work with servers that anyone can host.
And that trading method is not safe. There should be a special feature for that.
And we must make sure of one thing... the alien is an enemy of all other membersof the crew. It would look a bit disvantageing for him.
#
Amarth 17 years ago
"speedblade" said:
What the host can do is that he/she can make mods or maps that apply to the game that is being hosted while the players may just simply download the changes. But the host MAY NOT edit the game what so ever, all the powers it can have is changing player limit (maximun amount of players can be set at a maximun of , saving game, loading game, restart or kicking players.
What, exactly, do you mean with that? I hate contradictions.
#
Bien45 17 years ago
How 'bout bots?
#
Crazy 17 years ago
What is this? The 8th time a thread has been made about this? The ninth?

I understand that a lot of people don't know anything about the subject, but frankly, i'm getting tired of it.
#
speedblade 17 years ago
"Amarth" said:
"speedblade" said:
What the host can do is that he/she can make mods or maps that apply to the game that is being hosted while the players may just simply download the changes. But the host MAY NOT edit the game what so ever, all the powers it can have is changing player limit (maximun amount of players can be set at a maximun of , saving game, loading game, restart or kicking players.
What, exactly, do you mean with that? I hate contradictions.

I forgot to say "during gameplay" in
"But the host MAY NOT edit the game what so ever" statement but I fixed it...

"Bien45" said:
How 'bout bots?

I don't think it would be any diffrent than a regular creature from the notrium we have now, just a little smarter.

"Crazy" said:
What is this? The 8th time a thread has been made about this? The ninth?

Have you seen a topic the discusses how multiplay should be discribed?
#
Crazy 17 years ago
Yes. Eight times. Maybe nine.
#
Solus Lupus 17 years ago
I thought all of those were on should we have, and how. Not the specifics on the How.
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
They were cleared out during the cleanup.
#
harwe 17 years ago
if we all want multiplayer, someone with better networking skills than me make a mod of notrium FOR it
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
You can't modify the fundamentals of a compiled executable through scripting. Just settings.
#
harwe 17 years ago
modify source code lol, if its there

oh and if ville allows it
#
Cejer 17 years ago
Well, theoretically, someone could make a program that punches into a running instance of Notrium and hi-jacks a specific creature in the game. Supplemented by proper scripting, I think multiplayer could be cobbled together by the community. Of course, this is just speculation on possibility. I'm neither declaring nor suggesting such a project.
#
Vacuus 17 years ago
*Cough* The TES Series *cough*

But, seriously, do we really need another topic for this?
#
Barebones 17 years ago
Well theres two-player mode for Crimsonland last time I played it. Does it also have network play?
#
Amarth 17 years ago
"Cejer" said:
Well, theoretically, someone could make a program that punches into a running instance of Notrium and hi-jacks a specific creature in the game. Supplemented by proper scripting, I think multiplayer could be cobbled together by the community. Of course, this is just speculation on possibility. I'm neither declaring nor suggesting such a project.
Well, I don't know how much you know about programming, but that is *very* hard. You'd essentially need to decompile and reconstruct Notrium from the assembly code. You'd need to know the memory addresses of the functions, the data structures used (note that these cannot be directly found in the code), ... Then you'd need to write C code around it, manage to get in the memory space of Notrium (don't know how, but it should be possible since other programs can do this), write code to handle network communication, etc, etc. All of this for a hacked, unstable, and probably slow multiplayer Notrium.

It'd be faster (and certainly easier) to rewrite Notrium from scratch.
#
Forum » Ville adding mutiplayer to notrium 2.

Your email:
Your name: