Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Sorced Combat (Almost Alpha!)
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Sorced Combat (Almost Alpha!)

E_net4 16 years ago
    This is an Open Source "game", made in Visual Basic. Special thanks to BitBlt (We all should <3 BitBlt).

Version 0.43 - Download
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Bitblt is a cool algorithm indeed. Slightly outdated technique with all the current 3D hardware, though.

Well, cute tech demo... Runs smooth here. I wonder where this will go to eventually.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Oo, I had so many ideas. In the data folder you'll find the probable next sprite form in "template.png". Feel free to check out the code.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Here's version 0.2, with a lot more stuff.
    Version 0.2: Download

New features:
    - 2 playable characters simultaneously, with more animations.
    - Nice loading screen.
    - And some more extras.

Things to be done in the next version:
    - Character properties. (wasn't done)
    - Possibility of music and sound. (wasn't done)

Please, place some comments.
    #
    Nuklearni-okurka 16 years ago
    What to do in that thing?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    You could have been smarter, you know.
    The current version is a tech demo, it isn't a playable game.
    #
    Nuklearni-okurka 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    tech demo

Does not matter
    #
    NeoGangster 16 years ago
    keep on goin
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Thanks.
    Also, notice that I would use DirectX if it wasn't hard... Pherhaps in a later version.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Never! OpenGL or death!

>.>

<.<

...What?
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    DirectX works fine here. In fact, I prefer it, although that might just be because every GFX but the last two that I've ever had handled OpenGL poorly, so I got accustomed to WTF-ing it.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    DirectX works fine here.
    I had such an urge to facepalm when I read that. >.<
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    It's not like using OpenGL has a lot of advantages over DirectX if you are using VB anyway, I'd say.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    I've been working daily on this, and now version 0.3 has come.
    The expected features' time hasn't come yet, but the Choose your Character screen is almost done.
    Version 0.3: Download

Man, I forgot to mention, use G and Home to select Player1 and Player2's character (you can't choose another character for now).

New Features:
    - Small improvement on the Main Menu form.
    - Choose your Character Screen
    - Added an init module, where variables, constants and functions are globally declared.
    - Better organization of Data files.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Uploaded version 0.35 before I go...
    I'll tell you stuff about it later, in a few weeks. Just remember to read the README file.
    #
    Bubb9 16 years ago
    it didnt work when I tried it clicked all over the screen no response
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Bubb9" said:
    it didnt work when I tried it clicked all over the screen no response
    -.-
    You don't have to click the screen. You must use the players' keys to choose a player.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Is the latest version working on your computer? I believe not. >:/
    And you didn't warn me about the broken version!
    #
    Eveningstar 16 years ago
    This is going to be very interesting game. I'm looking forward to play when it's completed.

So what kind of attack you are planning? =)
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Before thinking of the attacks, I should do some things first:

- Player collision;
    - Frame scripting (I'll tell you about it later);

I'm thinking of a close attack and then a long ranged attack.
    I'm also thinking about the ability to defend.
    I should upload a new build as soon as I can. You'll then feel the power of "Create your own Character".
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Done. Version 3.8 has come.

- You can now create your own character. See the README file for instructions.
    - You can set the character's speed.
    - This version works!

Please, do try it.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Version 4.0 is here. I won't spend much words on this.
    Just read the README file.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    It works fine. Love the collision detection and the z-sorting (one character appearing in front/behind the other based on 'depth').

But the source code is, erm, ugly. I've been taking a look around and, well, VB6 is an inherently ugly language. No constructors. No inheritance or overloading. Basically, only procedural stuff. Blerghl. Oh well. Each his own tools, I'm happy with mine.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Too bad you don't like VB6.

Oh wells, next version will have a close attack feature (a lie, no attack feature in 0.42).
    There won't be any graphic changes, I believe, since Fireworks isn't working on my compy.
    And yes, the shadows are dull, but it's better than nothing.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    I fail to see why.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    I fail to see why.
    I fail to see the importance of this post.

I also fail to see why you dictate he can't feel bad about me not liking VB6.

(I assume you're not talking about why I would dislike VB6 )
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    I failed to put you ontopic, I guess.
    Know what? You should try to make a character. Check the README file to learn how to make one.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Any updates since the said off-topic flurry about VB6 ? I don't really care what language people use, it's how they use it. If you focus too much on the language you're just wasting time, when you could be making something. Good luck with this E-Net. I do have a small request though, can you post a screenshot or two ?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    That's an interesting idea. I could post screenshots of the progress.
    Unfortunately, the latest changes aren't graphically seen.
    Anyways, I am now working on the life bars. And pherhaps you might want to know that I added a language functionality, so that the game can have various languages.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Are you going to use scripts for the low-end stuff, so it can be modular ? This seems to be an obvious question in a forum with a lot of budding modders.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Unfortunately, I don't seem to find out a way to enable that kind of scripting with Visual Basic. Sure, this would be an awesome feature, and I'd be glad to add it to Sorced Combat.

Edit: After some searches about the fact, I've seen to get a way to do scripting.
    I'll be testing it in another project. I might inform you about the results in the Programming thread.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Unfortunately, I don't seem to find out a way to enable that kind of scripting with Visual Basic. Sure, this would be an awesome feature, and I'd be glad to add it to Sorced Combat.

Edit: After some searches about the fact, I've seen to get a way to do scripting.
    I'll be testing it in another project. I might inform you about the results in the Programming thread.

A lot of the times it's not really supported, but the trick is this... The trick is to just use variables and fill in the blanks with descriptions on what the variables do. So you're just popping these variables into the game somehow right... Than you're allowing the modder to edit these variables. The last step might be thought to be saving them, but it's the next to last. The last step is that after the new variable has been saved that it can be successfully recalled without crashing the whole thing . Does that help at all or am I just telling you something you already know ?

I used to do stuff like this even using the Game Creators, because they'd allow you to write and read from ini files. So that's all you need to do, is do something like what I did with inis, or what Notrium did with data files. This is at least going to make things a bit more complicated. On the plus side, if no one mods it, you can still add content or make small changes much quicker, without having to change hardcoded stuff.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    "E_net4" said:

A lot of the times it's not really supported, but the trick is this... The trick is to just use variables and fill in the blanks with descriptions on what the variables do. So you're just popping these variables into the game somehow right... Than you're allowing the modder to edit these variables. The last step might be thought to be saving them, but it's the next to last. The last step is that after the new variable has been saved that it can be successfully recalled without crashing the whole thing . Does that help at all or am I just telling you something you already know ?
    Now I'm thinking with variables.

Anyways, I had a small bit of fun with the new "Add line of code" feature. The bars are now working fine, and I made picPrev (the picturebox with the scene Preview) visible in-game. Here's the result.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Yay, I finished coding the new version. Now let me upload all necessary files. Here's a pic for you to take a look:
    RGB Field = RGB <3
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    What is going on in the above picture ?
    #
    Forum » Sorced Combat (Almost Alpha!)
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: