Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Ideas for future Notrium versions
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Ideas for future Notrium versions

Quanrian 16 years ago
    How about a rogue version save system that can be toggled so when you die, you really die .
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    How about a rogue version save system that can be toggled so when you die, you really die .
    YES! Gimme! Gimme!
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    Or perhaps make the save system be decided by the player on game start/through modding? That way you CAN have it if you want, but it won't be FORCED.

That saving method is one of the things which keep me from playing ADoM (which otherwise seems like a nice game).
    #
    justin_s 16 years ago
    i think there should be a larger amount of build able weapons and maybe a starting weapon
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "justin_s" said:
    i think there should be a larger amount of build able weapons and maybe a starting weapon
    It's called "fist".
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "justin_s" said:
    It's called "fist".
    That more-or-less depends on the starting race.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago
    Vehicles! Surprised that nobody actually said this yet...

All vehicles should run on ether unless otherwise stated.

However let's try to keep them simple, no tanks please.

Oh yeah, it'd be cool if the future version will actually have space battles. You get on some type of fighter jet thingie on ground and get to go out into space for some epic battles. It'd be nice if the fighter jet your controlling has an AI controlled gun; such as a mounted gatling gun that shoots any enemy ships in sight.

While we're at that, let's have secondary fire. Left click should be primary and secondary would be right click. So I'm driving a crappy fighter jet and if I use primary I would shoot a small ion cannon and secondary would be some sort of ballistic missile. Clicking on the mousewheel would switch primary weapons in the ship while scrolling through the mousewheel would switch the secondary weapons. Neat, eh?

Oh yeah, I'm not thinking of Raiden so if you are, tough luck.

Now be imaginative where you can go to space. Other worlds (if there are) Space stations, a huge merchant ship, anything.

But I guess if you do that then there's no point in surviving alone anymore like in the original Notrium is there?

Whatever, just add that for pure gameplay awesomeness.

Weapons and more weapons! Mousewheel click here would be changing the bullet types of the weapon (if there are any) and scroll would change the current weapon you're holding. Not all weapons have to have secondary fire but if they don't have primary, it's not a weapon.

So you have a heat-guided rocket launcher? Primary fire would be dumbfire (goes straight, fast) and secondary would be homing option, which is quite slower than the dumbfire missile. Now if you have the ammo, you can click on your mousewheel and whip out your cluster missiles which would split into three homing missiles after it traveled for a short distance. That would mean the dumbfire option is not available so you're only left with a primary fire. Very flexible system methinks.

I'm going to go play a bit of Touhou now, will see if I can get more ideas. Beh, I'm always filled with ideas for some reason on games anyways.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Vehicles! Surprised that nobody actually said this yet...
    You're wrong about that. Pete has said it already.

And yes, more planets would be cool.
    #
    Bokasha 16 years ago
    I think before other planets the starting planet should be bigger, even on Werivar you can only do so many things and after they're all reachable and/or done then what?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I don't know if gigantic space battles are within the scope for a default Notrium game (now, a mod for the game, yes, but it kinda runs counter to the spirit of a survival game). I say, make sure the engine has the capability for it, but the only place I see it having a point is, say, flying the VC shuttle up to the mothership.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    There is another factor to the game: Who will survive? Will there be more than one survivor? Who'll be the players?
    The captain could be considered as the main character, so we could actually keep it. I'm not sure about the other 3 members of the crew.
    #
    Bokasha 16 years ago
    I could imagine an android surviving, since they're mostly machine and not as fragile. Maybe the psionic's powers could've protected it during the crash, like survival instinct kicks in and he psionically shields himself from harm untill he has reached the safety of Notrium's surface.
    #
    Bien45 16 years ago
    How about digging underground?
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    ** Modding **
    * Somthing that resembles a scripting ~language~ (maybe based on C#? It should be Object-Oriented at least), i get a headache each time i look into the .dats. Uhhm, with lots of important things like a Bar-class (allowing to add bars, set visibility of bars blahblah), MessageWindow and variables.
    * Less Hard-Coded things (Armor Value, Body Temperature Value and Journal wouldn't be necessary with variables and MessageWindow-command) - everything script-controlled.
    * Scripts appendable to all objects (+ Callbacks depending on object type, for example "KI_Step" in creatures, "On_PickUp" for Items...)
    * Remove .dats:
    - Player_Races
    - Weapons
    - AI_Tactic
    - Bars
    - Dialog
    * Multiplayer Support

** Game Content **
    * Uhm... more of everything ^^
    * Bigger world
    * Different Default-Mods (Standard "Survive-On-Notrium" + a Story Mod á la Aleryon Betrayal, the life of a Ville Corp Marine for example)
    * Hermit playable!
    * Other Alien Races (?)
    * Possibility to combine more than 2 objects at once (because of that, many "Uncompleted Something"-items are needed)

** Note **
    * I would buy it =S

@Grim Reaper
    In Adom, just save, go into the adom_dat/savedg folder and copy the file somewhere else oO
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    [OT]
    "Cheater" said:
    @Grim Reaper
    In Adom, just save, go into the adom_dat/savedg folder and copy the file somewhere else oO
    Yes, that's exactly what I did. Got bored/sick of it, though. [/OT]
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    [Last OT]It's not that tireing, I got my Mindcrafter to level 9 with this method. Mindcrafters suck on lower levels, but on 9+ they rule =D[/Last OT]
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    "Bokasha" said:
    I could imagine an android surviving, since they're mostly machine and not as fragile. Maybe the psionic's powers could've protected it during the crash, like survival instinct kicks in and he psionically shields himself from harm untill he has reached the safety of Notrium's surface.

Remember what it said in Journal?It said that psionic and android we're fighting inside the crew.
    Journal wouldn't be necessary"

It is nessesary.Like it tell u stuff about combinations too.If u pick an item it says it's use and sometimes some of it's combinations.

Oh and because we're in this topic let me say something for notrium 2...hmmmm.......

First i had ideas now i can't remember!!!SNAP!!!

Oh yea ofcourse i agree in more then 2 combinations a time and more parts for spacepod please!!!lol.Oh and have an insectoid as a pet and grow to a queen.OH OH OH!!And a plant as a pet and char!!!And and new weapons and stuff!!!!It would be awesome!!!
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    No, I didn't mean that. If there would be such scripting capabilities, a Hard-Coded Journal wouldn't be necessary - it could be replaced by some scripts. If you read carefully again:
    Less Hard-Coded things (Armor Value, Body Temperature Value and Journal wouldn't be necessary with variables and MessageWindow-command) - everything script-controlled.
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    What you mean by
    Less Hard-Coded things
    ?
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Uhm, well... how to explain it...?
    The inventory is hard-coded - it's implemented into the game and not really modable (iirc you can change the BG-Image, but nothing else). The Energy Bar, for example, isn't hard-coded, since you may change it through the .dats. Or the player races, or the creatures... or the items.
    ...I suck in explaining things. Especially in foreign languages.
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    I didn't understand anything from the post ...with no offence but you really do can't explain much...and neither do i...so can you explain with less words?
    #
    Barebones 16 years ago
    "haunter" said:
    I didn't understand anything from the post ...with no offence but you really do can't explain much...and neither do i...so can you explain with less words?

It means you can't change up how inventory works, but you change how items work.

Computer-illiterate gamers, I can't stand them.
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    hahahaha!! but did ville release notrium's source code? if so, people can mod that instead.. though i think only programmers and some who learns a bit would be able to mod the hard-coded stuff, which also if they know a bit of networking, they can implement multiplayer as well.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    I doubt he did. At least i never stumbled upon a copy of it.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    You have to buy it. IIRC the price is either negotiable, secret, or nonexistant.
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    What The Hell is IIRC??All people are saying this...i don't understand!!!
    #

Internet-illiterate gamers! WTF are this world comes to?
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    I would say the latter one. I never read any whatever (post, announcement, blah) from ville that he's selling the Notrium Source oO. Maybe da Master himself could reveal us the truth about this? *g*

----------

Iirc "Iirc" is widely used. So I don't know how there can be someone roaming through the Net and not knowing what "Iirc" means? I never met such a person.
    <Spoiler>
    (Sorry for this one, haunter... I just like to drive people mad *g* Nothing personal It means "<cenzored>", btw)
    </Spoiler>
    Uhm, I would say
    [/OT]
    But if you really want to know what it means, search for acronyms or abbresomethings (i hate that word) used in the internet. It should be listed there. So, finally:
    [/OT]
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Hmm. Ville, are you selling the Notrium source? And if so, under what terms, and for what price?

As in, if I buy the source, would I be allowed to open-source it?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    As in, if I buy the source, would I be allowed to open-source it?
    Ooooooh, devious.
    #
    I'm guessing you'd have to pay x10 the high price Ville would probably ask for to get permission to open-source it. That is, if he's willing to sell it at ANY price.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Of course, if open-sourcing isn't allowed, I'd be happy to just provide bugfixes and implement features (I'm thinking of a particular thing that has been asked a fair few times before - don't spam the board with guesses).
    #
    Vicrry 16 years ago
    One thing I really miss about Notrium is that feeling of being truly lost and marooned. v1.3 does some interesting things, but I don't really feel like I've been shipwrecked anymore. With all of the human guards, incredible numbers of aliens, robots, special locations, the world feels like someone lives there instead of the wild, untouched landscape that was in v1.1. This is one game where keeping it simple actually worked out better for me.
    #
    Speaking of which, I STILL hate the fact that the original scripting language was unsupported for 1.3. Also, I liked the "Landing in the middle of nowhere" of 1.2 a lot, so at first I didn't get the hermit.
    #
    Eterno 16 years ago
    Hi there!
    I have lurked around occasionally and when I saw this topic I had no choice but to join in the brainstorm. I like Notrium a lot and I warn you of a long post.

Multiplayer is such a hot topic and yes, I would love it too. I just wouldn't love to pay for it and I would never want to crack a Mönkkönen game.

But first on the game itself. It'll need a LOT more content. It has plenty already but far more would be great.
    Imagine a massive world that would be absolutely different everytime you play it. I personally love Nethack and other roguelikes for their randomity. They are limited to a single dungeon, and just thinking about being able to play a completely new WORLD each time I play... Oh dear.
    That won't be happening unless Ville will dedicate a large portion of his life to it, and we can do with much less. That much less would be, though, much more than what Notrium currently is.
    So in short: Make more of everything. Make everything randomized. And most importantly, make a lot of things possible.
    If someone wants completely non random adventures, Notrium has great modding capabilities just for that.

The world of Notrium currently is quite small if you compare to the game UnReal World for example. Just simple things like having to walk a day or to from the heart of a jungle to barren desert with the trees getting gradually more scarce. So as some already stated: A bigger world.
    Then the items. Tons of items plus even more combinations. This is one aspect of "make a lot of things possible". Many many items of which most can be combined with each other for sometimes very interesting results. This would be one helluva job but it would add a lot to the game when testing what you can get by combining. Radiator + bio indicator = cancer gun?
    Another aspect of "make a lot of things possible" would be being able to... destroy a lot of things ingame. Boulders could be busted, trees cut down (possibly for even *gasp* making your own hermit hut), whatever you can think of. (I'll list no more because then it would sound too much like UnReal World)
    Oh and water + islands would be very very nice.

More critters is one thing too. Many alien creatures of different kinds. Some basic, some weird and some maybe grotesque. Adding new environments opens possibilities for new creatures and water is added... oh boy what creatures will lurk in the depths. Alien fish would be a nice add to the fungus/alien meat diet.

The place where you start the game (where your pod crashes) should be completely random too. Now don't you go thinking I don't like Mr. Hermit! Just that if you crash into his house you could consider yourself very lucky, because you could've ended up in an alien nest or the bottom of the ocean (IF water it ever added). This could be optional too: if you want to drop randomly then ok. Alien nest, hermit's hut and possibly other locations (which should be rather randomly placed ofcourse) could be chosen as crashing location.

And that inventiory screen could be split into player skills and actual items. Humans and androids should get some skills too. (Maybe the hermit can teach kung-fu?)

And finally, please don't give the player a chance to end the game very quickly. Once I played as an alien and killed those alien queens and their eggs and poof, I win. It didn't feel like victory because there were so many things yet to experience. With many different endings and all of them very hard to reach, some of them can be totally absurd if you wish. (I like fun endings)

That said about the game itself; Bear with me as I include my opinions about Multiplayer in this same post.

Multiplayer is a great thing and also a problematic thing. With things mentioned above it might not work too well. I don't know.
    In my opinion a MMORGP style internet play would be horrible for Notrium (I must say I generally don't like MMO-games). A similar system like in Soldat or Battle for Wesnoth would be good.
    A player can host a game, preferably he/she has already generated a random world to make things quicker (*sigh* more on this later). People can join his/her game and when the host(ess) feels like there are enough players, the game can start.
    Whether everybody starts seperately, in one big group or several groups should be in the host(ess)'s decision as well as whether players can damage other players.
    But as I said I don't know if such big worlds with so many destroyable objects will make the game too heavy for multiplayer, especially if 3D is added.

Complete 3D I wouldn't like. Semi-3D (like in GTA-GTA2) would be nice (terrain is simple 3D, players and aliens etc. are 2D).

And finally:
    A world generator/editor would be nice if implemented. Worlds could be generated, saved in files and edited with the editor. Random world generation can be a long process, I would accept that, as long as loading one isn't. It'll ease things for modders and in multiplayer there's a good chance of having a new world to explore. (I know there's an editor already, I just propose something that goes together with the other things I suggest here.)

Sorry for the very tedious and long post.
    I know many things I propose will take a lot of work... but this is an ambitious post for (what I've seen so far) a very ambitious game creator.
    #
    Forum » Ideas for future Notrium versions
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: