Register
Email: Password:
Forum » New Forum software
  • « previous
  • » next
  • New Forum software

Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Yes, permission things seem to be a bit screwed up at the moment...
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    It doesn't even look like there's anything in the games section anyway.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    The games section still contains the appropriate forum things, methinks. We're just not in the correct usergroup to view them.

Also, forums are back up and running after some downtime (usergroups still forked up, though). Please tell us what the fuck went on and such.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Also, forums are back up and running after some downtime (usergroups still forked up, though). Please tell us what the [censored] went on and such.
    Yeah, it'd be much appreciated.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    The games section still contains the appropriate forum things, methinks. We're just not in the correct usergroup to view them.
    On that note, Cormoon Beta subforum appears to be missing as well.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Note: The forums are still there. Nothing's missing, 'cept for the usergroup whatsits.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Yes, and you can access them by going to "View your posts" and then clicking on the link of the subforum.

This, ofcourse, requires you to have posts in the specific subforum and i haven't checked if you can post or not.

[EDIT] Garh, y00 be stupid, Crazy. I guess i'm the last one to realize you can just use URLs.

http://www.monkkonen.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=number, where number=1-Magebane 2, 2-Wazzal, 3-Bikez 2, 4-Forge, 5-Notrium, 8-Notrium Modding, 12-Cormoon Beta

9-Projects corner, 11-Cormoon Development and 6-Intelligent conversation, but we can already access those.

Oh, and 14-Games, 17-Current Projects.

Could it be that the "Current Projects" subforum was created because there were to be more than one "current project"?[/EDIT]
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Or you could always use the "Jump to:" drop-down list which can be seen in forum and thread views, right at the bottom.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Oh. My. Yes. That little tidbit. :S
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    It looks good.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Yeah, sorry guys, I was trying to reorganize the forums. Apparently you can't just move things around, and have to mess with a whole bunch of stuff first. So it ended up making a whole bunch of forums invisible in the process. I REALLY hate this new forum software btw, I preferred the old one by far, which never gave me any problems like this. Mind you I've done administrating for other forums before and this is the most convoluted one I've ever seen. If anyone has any hints to me why the forums aren't visible, let me know and I'll try and fix it, because I've checked the settings multiple times. The forums 'are' still there, they're just not visible for some reason, as if we're not allowed to see them. Ville seems to be on vacations as well, so maybe he can give some insight once he gets back.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    Yeah, sorry guys, I was trying to reorganize the forums. Apparently you can't just move things around, and have to mess with a whole bunch of stuff first. So it ended up making a whole bunch of forums invisible in the process. I REALLY hate this new forum software btw, I preferred the old one by far, which never gave me any problems like this. Mind you I've done administrating for other forums before and this is the most convoluted one I've ever seen. If anyone has any hints to me why the forums aren't visible, let me know and I'll try and fix it, because I've checked the settings multiple times. The forums 'are' still there, they're just not visible for some reason, as if we're not allowed to see them. Ville seems to be on vacations as well, so maybe he can give some insight once he gets back.
    Invalid settings in usergroup things?

Also, as you might've noticed, the "jump to" list is all jumbled as well.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Or you could just not rearrange the forums as such. Don't fix what 'ain't broke.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Or you could just not rearrange the forums as such. Don't fix what 'ain't broke.
    This man speaks the truth. No offense.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Look, Quanrian had a point. The forums were getting a little unorganised. So he assumed that changing it was as easy as it was before, but it wasn't. You can't blame him for it, the new software is just a little more complicated than it used to be.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    No, no. Even if it was that easy, i'd prefer the way things were before. This way you'd have to do two clicks to reach what you used to need one for. Yeh, that doesn't seem like much, but for a 56k-r it's a world apart.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    for a 56k-r it's a world apart.
    56k modems are getting less and less common as time goes on. We don't need to use them as a baseline standard any more.

EDIT: On the invisible forums, if you look at the subforum jumping menu, it looks like "Notrium Modding" contains all the games except Notrium, which is contained in Wazzal (or whatever it was, I'm not looking at it ATM), and so is "Games". As "Games" is the only one we can see, I would guess we don't see the others because they're not actually (as far as the software is concerned) contained by Games... in fact, it's the other way around.

Cormoon Beta is also within "Notrium Modding" like this.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    And Magebane 2 is in General Talk? O_o;
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    And Magebane 2 is in General Talk? O_o;
    It appears to have switched places with the Fast Talk subforum.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Actually, all I was 'trying' to do was separate Ville's classic games from his recent ones. There is a huge reason for this, they are largely dead and are mostly for show. I didn't see the need to have them all meshed together with his more recent work. Unfortunately, it's not just a little more complicated, I'm beginning to think it's just broken and glitchy, and we're only now seeing it because I 'did' mess with it. I really don't like PHP that's so busted that it freaks out when you do an edit. As for leaving things as they were, I don't think so. I really want this forum to evolve, as it has before.

So, yes, I feel pretty stupid for breaking the forum, but I'm not going to take full blame when the forum software is this bad. I can only hope Ville can fix it, but I may have to find the creators of it and go through them to get a more prompt fix. Either way, you can be assured, it wont be left broken as it is now. For the time being just use the drop-down or bookmark the sections that you visit most often.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Yes, that's not a bad idea, however (i'm not sure if you did it on purpose, but...) i think setting newer games and older games apart the way games and general talk/projects corner were before, instead of being a clickable/linked subforum.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I'm firmly of the opinion the parent-subforum hierarchy is just messed up. With a little experimentation I feel like I could figure it out, though trying to experiment through someone is never fun, so I guess that's out.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    I'm firmly of the opinion the parent-subforum hierarchy is just messed up. With a little experimentation I feel like I could figure it out, though trying to experiment through someone is never fun, so I guess that's out.

Yes, trust me, when I say, the more I tried to fix it, the worse it got. It started making threads just disappear, even when I tried simply undoing it and putting them back where they were. How it looks in the admin panel is 'not' how it looks to everyone else, so it's very decieving. It's not until you look at the board index again that you see how screwed up what you see in the panel is (where as the last version was very much WYSIWYG), compared to the index. Like I said, I'm kind of hoping Ville can fix this, but if he takes much longer to get back I'm going to try and get in touch with the devs who made the php. Mind you, I hate dealing with devs I don't know, so I'd rather see if Ville can fix it.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    After looking into the admin panel myself, I have to conclude that Quanrian is right, and something is awfuly wrong with the software we are using. Everything looks sound when looking at the forum management interface, but how it looks there is in no way similar to how it looks for regular users. Perhaps something drastic as deleting all the forums and recreating them would solve the issue, but let's not do that until we're absolutely sure nothing else is possible.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    A bit of SQL should also be able to solve the problem, I'd say. Would be kind of mad to erase everything for this little thing.

Of course, I never worked with phpBB3 and I have no idea how your database is structured. But I believe phpBB3 uses the database for everything, so doing it in there instead of in the admin panel might be an option.

Not saying it'll be easy though.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I say we let Amarth take a crack at it, as if he can't fix it, it's probably permanently broken.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Except that I'd need like every possible access level on Ville's server. I mean, I'm trustworthy and stuff, but I could understand that not really working out.
    #
    ville 16 years ago
    OK, it should work now again. Report any problems here.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Is "Current Projects" supposed to be below "General Talk"?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Yes, if you are refering to "Projects corner". The "Fast Talk" is in a different place, that's all.

Good news the topics are back in shape.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Ville had a Morgoth moment, there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SANz55HS8qc
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Yes, if you are refering to "Projects corner". The "Fast Talk" is in a different place, that's all.

Good news the topics are back in shape.
    Nonono. I meant the "Current Projects" forum section. The forum in it used to be in the "Games" section, so I wondered if the section is supposed to be above "General Talk" instead of below it.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Our savior in dark times. Good job Ville.
    #
    ville 16 years ago
    It's supposed to be in between the other two, but I'm going to leave it as it is until we get a new version of the forum software that won't break it when we move it.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago

Too much pictures = Software breaking down.

Also, I had to cut the picture size because the software limits your pixelity up to 1024.
    #
    Forum » New Forum software
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: