Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Creating phpBB

Creating phpBB

Madgamer 16 years ago
I'm trying to make a forum just specifically made for my friends at highschool. Now I read the tutorials and downloaded the latest stable version, but without any idea whatsoever to make it.

Let's say I'm a complete newbie to computer and internet. Now, you can go on telling me how to create a board.

Eh, I wish tutorials were more like 'I don't know anything so tell me everything step by step.' Flash tutorial and the documentation didn't even help me one bit.
#
Anarion 16 years ago
Aren't there websites out there that are already set up for people to run their own forum?

Like this - http://www.eamped.com/
#
E_net4 16 years ago
Heh, I also thought about using phpBB for a forum for Sorced Combat.
#
Amarth 16 years ago
Seriously, it isn't hard. You need a computer running server software (mysql and php support - probably via apache or IIS). You put the files on it. You follow the instructions.

As for getting this computer and associated privileges to putting the files on it, you probably need to pay monies to a hosting company. If you want to set it up at your home, you're in for a long and painful road if you don't know anything about this sort of stuff.
#
Madgamer 16 years ago
Anarion solved my question quite fast... And I'm surprised by how freaking easy it is to use. Cookies fo' you!

I'm still a novice on computers and all that. I've done couple of hardware replacement and know purty much most used softwares but I really can't do anything in your scope. In short, I had no idea what the heck you said.

I need to read more articles on Wikipedia on these kind of stuffs... eh.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
So you've managed to create the forum...
But according to eamped's FAQ, there are some limitations when using that process:

- Ads;
- Impossibility to change any core or template files;
- English only;
- Backups are made for a fee.
#
Madgamer 16 years ago
1. As long as no pop-ups, I really don't have a problem with it.
2. Like I said, I'm not advanced with coding, so this is out of question.
3. Yeah... as if we're all going to type a different language >.>
4. Ooo... this might be a problem. The only solution I have for that if the place is wrecked is to get a new forum. And I really don't want to work up all over again...
#
Vacuus 16 years ago
It may not be a problem now, but what happens when you try to expand your userbase, and they want new features? Or you want to add some modifications?

You'd be better of doing it right this time around. No, you don't have to pay for hosting either (though if you can, go for it), there are a couple of good free hosts around. Zeeblo is one I can remember.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
I don't even know if they accept more emoticons, avatars in Gallery, etc.
#
Forum » Creating phpBB

Your email:
Your name: