Register
Email: Password:
Forum » School conversation
  • « previous
  • » next
  • School conversation

Amarth 16 years ago
    Well...

In causation logic, you use sentences like (example in the paper) "pneumonia causes chest pain." This is different from the basic logical 'implies' relationship, because causation usually means that the state evolves over time ("pneumonia implies chest pain" would have pneumonia and chest pain at the same moments in time) and also because it implies that the chest pain wasn't there before the pneumonia (first order logic makes no such assumption).

In probabilistic logic, you think about sentences like "pneumonia might cause chest pain." It's a bit the same as the causes-relationship, but you also associate a chance to each relationship. Typical stuff you'll have is "with probability 0.7, the operation cures the patient, and with probability 0.01, the patient dies." The remaining 0.29 is a "don't care" scenario (for example, not cured and not death).

You can then put all sorts of these relationships in a complex network (a causes b and c, c causes d, d and b cause e or f, ...) to see what the end results could be, and their probabilities.

Of course, in real life you don't know the probabilities of each relationship. So the system uses a set of examples (patient A had pneumonia, chest pain, and didn't survive the operation, patient B...) and tries to guess ('learn') the probabilities from that. Afterwards, the system can be used to categorize new examples (patient Z has chest pain, what are the chances she has pneumonia and will survive the operation?)

The causation part seems pretty unique to this system. I'm not yet sure what makes it stand out against the 100s of other probabilistic logic learning systems, but I suppose I'll find out after reading more.
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    Seems like most of you guys likes maths and stuff like that eh? Quite different from me. My favorite courses are History, Religion, English, PE and Biology. The other courses are Chemics and Norwegian. The truth is that I have no course I dislike(allthough norwegian can be a pain in the ass, as norwegian consist of two versions of the language, bokmål and nynorsk, and I have to learn both of them). As I am in the last year in High School, I could choose my own courses. I chose away maths and french, and mandatory courses such as Geology and Society Knowledge(I don't know what this course's name is in english, so I wrote the direct translation) was finished last year. So I ended up with 27 school-hours per week, a drastic change from the 34 hours last year!

Just wondering how much homework you do? Personally, I don't do much of my homework except the most necessary, such as assignments.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    (I don't know what this course's name is in english, so I wrote the direct translation)

Just wondering how much homework you do? Personally, I don't do much of my homework except the most necessary, such as assignments.
    That would be 'Management and Organisations' I think. Anyhow, I don't do a lot of homework either. Practically nothing, I do everything I need to do in School. English class here is a laugh really, I got kicked out the last 3 times because I simply refuse to make a stupid letter. :p Anyhow, I'm more of a math guy as well.

PI FTW!!!!!
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Bah, pi is overrated.

Chaitin's omega, now...

And the famous 0.99... can stir up quite a debate that's funny to watch.
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    Haha, yea, we had one of those 0,999... debates in math class once.

My math/number favorite is the good old 1.61803...
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    PI FTW!!!!!
    Quoted for Infinite greatness!

"Amarth" said:
    And the famous 0.99... can stir up quite a debate that's funny to watch.
    Indeed. Just take a look at the UCF forums, there's a whole topic about it. No one could prove that 0.(9) did not equal 1. XD

I suggest we talk about numbers in the Maths thread.
    And did I tell you I'm manually calculating SQRT(2) as a hobby?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Well, while I like math class, of course, it's not the only class I'm interested in. English is probably my favourite subject, actually (keep in mind that, as I am in the US, English classes are about grammar and literature). I tend to be able to churn out an essay in under a half an hour (under ten minutes if I only need a page or two).
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    I tend to be able to churn out an essay in under a half an hour (under ten minutes if I only need a page or two).

Wow, dude, I have problems with writing over four pages when having exams.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I was once given an assignment to write a 15-page short story.

I wrote 41 pages instead.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    I can't even write a single page. Could be because I like to program rather. Yay.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Indeed. Programming is more of my side.
    Also, my sis' learning Java! Isn't that nice?
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Is she interested in programming for N3D?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Is she interested in programming for N3D?
    Unfortunately, not a single value of interest, me thinks. She's more connected to multimedia than anything else, in fact.
    And she's actually STARTING to learn Java, she might not know a single thing right now.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    more connected to multimedia than anything else
    Any project can always use more artists.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Unless said project is dead without more programmers.
    #
    Barebones 16 years ago
    Hey, speaking of which I need to get started on those hoverbike textures.

You gave the first batch to me in July, right?
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Well, you shall talk about it somewhere else.
    School.

Did you do any tests yet? Which one's next?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Pff... I did this Latin test Friday, and I totally wtfpwned it.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Tuesday is Physics test! I should study, unless I want less than 14 (out of 20).
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Had a math test. I always have THE COOLEST mistakes. The subject was on roots and power and how they act if something is to the power of 1/2 and simple fast ways of solving problems like these.

We studied the subject for about two weeks. In that time, i wrote about a quarter of a problem off the board and absolutely nothing else. I didn't study for the test at all.

All the problems on the subject of roots and powers. Aced. Not a single mistake.

BUT THEN. THEN THERE WAS STUFF LIKE

100/75 = 20/25

Or i forgot to write a minus somewhere in there and fucked up.

Or my personal favorite. This was not hidden somewhere deep, deep in a problem that spanned pages. No. It was written out EXACTLY as this (though i did lots of calculating to end up with this (all of which was correct)):

2+4+2 = 6

No, really. WTF? 2+4+2 = 6? What? How could i do that?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Oh god, I know exactly what you mean. I make dirty little slip-ups like that all the time, it's so annoying to get points subtracted for it...
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    Heheh, I'm glad I don't have to do any math tests for the rest of my life!
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Oh god, I know exactly what you mean. I make dirty little slip-ups like that all the time, it's so annoying to get points subtracted for it...
    Yeah, but i go from "annoying" to "almost failing the course" because of them. Seriously. I almost got a 3 (out of 5) on that test. If i had any mistakes about the subject in it, i'd have gotten a 2. Which is fail.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I got a point marked off because I said that 0/0 was "undefined" when the teacher wanted me to say "indeterminate form".

If this is indicative of the way this calculus class is going, I have a feeling I'm not going to like it.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Mmm. There is some truth to that though. The expression 0/0 does not give enough information to decide its value. Observe:

0/0 '=' lim(x->0) x/x = 1
    0/0 '=' lim(x->0) x^2/x = 0
    0/0 '=' lim(x->infty) x^2/x = infty

The '=' basically should be read in a right-to-left fashion: naively, these limits are the same (0/0).

On the other hand, 5/0 can never give a well-defined answer, not even when you start using limits (left limit is always different from right limit).

Undefined != indeterminate form, sorry.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    I'll die now. My mother came back from school (I have no idea how it's called in english -> Parents go to school and talk with the teachers).
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    What are the death symptons? Behaviour or grades?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    I'll die now. My mother came back from school (I have no idea how it's called in english -> Parents go to school and talk with the teachers).
    Sounds like a Parent-Teacher Conference.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    I survived somehow. It were the grades. Biology, History and Geographics. D.

"MageKing17" said:
    Sounds like a Parent-Teacher Conference.
    Yup.
    #
    Forum » School conversation
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: