Register
Email: Password:
Forum » How about making The Forge open source?

How about making The Forge open source?

Arius 16 years ago
Ville, how about making The Forge open source and so gaining some reputation and help on the way to improve the game?

The idea is good but with some improvments the game could be so much better. (It has a few years on it's neck...)

So how about it?
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
No, never, code's a mess anyway, more effort than it's worth, game sucked anyway, etc., etc., thread over.
#
Amarth 16 years ago
Bah. Worthless arguments.

"code is a mess": who cares? It can only become better. And if you are driven by shame, please, grow up. The only bad thing here is people learning bad things from your code, but bad programming style is easily unlearned anyway.
"more effort than it's worth": releasing code = zero effort. Zip code, put it online. Unless you don't have the code anymore, of course.
"game sucked anyway": beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also, improvements can be made, people can learn things, etc.

I strongly feel that open source is the method of the future if you want to get anything *good* going. Closed source will still be around for a long time but be either mediocre like half of the internet (follow giveawayoftheday.com for a few days) or very expensive like Microsoft or games. And expensive software is linked to content protection and DRM. Stay clear.
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"Amarth" said:
Bah. Worthless arguments.

"code is a mess": who cares? It can only become better. And if you are driven by shame, please, grow up. The only bad thing here is people learning bad things from your code, but bad programming style is easily unlearned anyway.
"more effort than it's worth": releasing code = zero effort. Zip code, put it online. Unless you don't have the code anymore, of course.
"game sucked anyway": beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also, improvements can be made, people can learn things, etc.

I strongly feel that open source is the method of the future if you want to get anything *good* going. Closed source will still be around for a long time but be either mediocre like half of the internet (follow giveawayoftheday.com for a few days) or very expensive like Microsoft or games. And expensive software is linked to content protection and DRM. Stay clear.
All right, now that we've rehashed all the counterarguments, now thread over. I just didn't want to waste the time going over this crap again.
#
Crazy 16 years ago
"Amarth" said:
Unless you don't have the code anymore, of course.

This was indeed the case, IIRC.
#
ville 16 years ago
I think of The Forge more like a coding experiment or a prototype. You could do a much better game in a few hours/days.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
Yes, sure is a correct conclusion... One could do better. (No offence at all. )
#
Forum » How about making The Forge open source?

Your email:
Your name: