Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Experimental Project
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Experimental Project

Aegis 16 years ago
    Everyone has been to Basecamp at least once, and our to-do list is at a dead end without the concept from you (Quanrian).
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Ugh, fine, i get it, i'm not wanted here.

Administrator logins are "Admin" and "r00t".

Crazy out.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    Everyone has been to Basecamp at least once, and our to-do list is at a dead end without the concept from you (Quanrian).

I guess I will have to get onto this thing as well, hopefully it works for me . Once I review the site, than I'll drop the concept down there along with its key elements that'll need to be implemented. I am checking on this at very odd hours however, so there is going to be a delay between this post and my addition there.

Yeah, as I was afraid, the site doesn't come up properly for me, so please do not direct me there in the future. If you would be so kind Aegis, please post any relevant information minus crass commentary here.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:

Crazy out.

What the...
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    please post any relevant information
    A message about the writeboard system, a message about using the Basecamp thing for any development-related discussion, a message (from me) reminding people to comment their code when we start writing it, and a discussion about role assignments (pretty preliminary until we actually get the concept and can decide on implementation). A to-do list called "preparations" (created by me) with items "Obtain concept from Quanrian", "Determine roles for everyone", and "Decide on implementation", and a milestone "Preferably receive concept by the 24th (or else a killing spree will ensue)".

That's pretty much all we can do, at this point.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:

Crazy out.

I'm not terribly shocked, but that is one less person, which is rarely a good thing. I'm not sure how many of you know this story, but Ville had to finish Notrium 1.0 by himself, starting with a group bigger than you guys. People will quit when things aren't going their way, or maybe they've got better things to do. I did do my best to figure out your points Crazy, but most of them just seemed highly negative, like you were trying to bring the project down, and it had not even begun. I'm not keen on that attitude, and I don't think anyone else should be either.

To Mageking, saying 'that's all we can do now', is kind of negative and short-sighted. Trust me when I say there is always something to do even with next to nothing to go off of. You can still work on some scripts, look through old ones that worked well. Brushing up on modding Notrium probably wouldn't hurt either as most people take long breaks between modding and it's easy to forget some of the more annoying intricacies of modding Notrium, like file relations. You're telling me your organized, and I like that more than anything else. As soon as your project confirms roles for me, that's really all I need.

I'm going to be really clear about this and how it works. I will communicate the most with Aegis. Aegis will communicate with you guys. You really don't have to have an ounce of respect for me for this work. As long as you all communicate well with each other and Aegis can convey your interests/concerns to me in a mature manner, I'm quite sure this will work and end in a very solid mod. I'm trying to prove a point here, let it be a positive one guys, please.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    To Mageking, saying 'that's all we can do now', is kind of negative and short-sighted.
    ...Bwuh?

"Quanrian" said:
    Trust me when I say there is always something to do even with next to nothing to go off of. You can still work on some scripts, look through old ones that worked well.
    Yeah, sure, because brushing up on random scripts will help when we have no idea of what we're actually going to be working on.

"Quanrian" said:
    As soon as your project confirms roles for me, that's really all I need.
    How can we confirm roles with no idea what the project actually is? You'll have a different team organization for a linear, story-based game/mod than a non-linear, mission-based game/mod.

"Quanrian" said:
    I will communicate the most with Aegis. Aegis will communicate with you guys.
    ...Why? We can all read the forums just fine.

"Quanrian" said:
    You really don't have to have an ounce of respect for me for this work.
    ...Bwuh?

"Quanrian" said:
    As long as you all communicate well with each other and Aegis can convey your interests/concerns to me in a mature manner, I'm quite sure this will work and end in a very solid mod.
    Am I missing some level of conversation, here? Or am I assuming good faith in people when others are not?

"Quanrian" said:
    I'm trying to prove a point here, let it be a positive one guys, please.
    ...Bwuh?

Seriously, I just thought we were going to work together to create a mod. I didn't think I'd read a single flame throughout the entire thread, just some light joking, and an overall desire to create something. Did I miss something? Or does anyone else actually care about making a mod?
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    I'm glad to see you so enthusiastic. Me and Ville have virtually the same roles we had before on our last game, just so you know. Not knowing a concept doesn't stop that, because we both knew exactly what we wanted to do and didn't want to do. If I do seem like I'm stalling, I'm just waiting on a response from Aegis, I sent him a message. He will relay the concept to you. So, it's not going to be much longer.

-new-

Alright, I got the message from Aegis. He informed of a time zone difference so I'll be posting the concept here.

Base Concept - Overhead Beat-em Up

<> Bare handed combat, no weapons, only weaponless martial arts

<> Exaggerated impact on blows given to enemies, sending them flying back, making them projectiles that can hurt other enemies.

<> Breakable walls and objects that can also be shattered by enemies sent flying.

<> Inspired by the over the top fighting in God Hand, and the movie Kungfu Hustle's final scene. Refer to these two things to keep on track.

<> Survival type gameplay that mimics Crimsonland, but obviously with melee being the focus rather than guns. This is not a definite must, but it would work well within the framework of the concept's design.

<> Multiple modes of play to keep things from getting stale. This is something that can be considered, to flesh the mod out in a way that'll make it seem like less of a mod and more of a stand-alone.

<> Bonuses, Bosses, and an Arcadish type appeal and feel to the gameplay. It should look cool and be fun to play, with enough randomness to give it good replay value.

Well there you guys go. I almost made this mod myself, before I realized I'd prolly need a team, and wasn't even sure I'd ever finish it. So it's a challenge to the team to see if you can make this mod happen. It's hardly impossible, but I am confident it will be difficult to pull it off without a buttload of glitches. I do not need to be told that this is not a complete game, obviously no concept is. There will be figuring out to be done, and if something simply doesn't work well, it'll need to be adapted. As I mentioned however, I'm confident it can all be done, so sticking to the framework is preferable. Good luck guys !
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    I'm wondering how you'd make top down martial arts moves look good.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    I'm wondering how you'd make top down martial arts moves look good.
    I'd say that would be one problem that'd need to be addressed by the team .
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I'll consider it a problem for the artist(s) for now, because I'm thinking (coding-wise) it is all definitely possible.

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Bare handed combat, no weapons, only weaponless martial arts
    Melee combat is obviously possible in Notrium, as we have it in Default. I can even think of some things to spice it up (the left-to-right swing trick used for a sword in some mod or another, for example).

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Exaggerated impact on blows given to enemies, sending them flying back, making them projectiles that can hurt other enemies.
    That could be tricky, the projectile bit. It might be easier to have a projectile move behind them than actually turn them into a projectile, because I'm worried about preserving health values, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Breakable walls and objects that can also be shattered by enemies sent flying.
    Once we have the above figured out, this should be no problem, as we have breakable objects already figured out for us (thank you crates!).

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Inspired by the over the top fighting in God Hand, and the movie Kungfu Hustle's final scene. Refer to these two things to keep on track.
    Hmm, never played/seen, so I suppose I'll have to rely on secondhand information.

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Survival type gameplay that mimics Crimsonland, but obviously with melee being the focus rather than guns. This is not a definite must, but it would work well within the framework of the concept's design.
    Don't see why not, once we figure out the tough stuff. Should be easy.

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Multiple modes of play to keep things from getting stale. This is something that can be considered, to flesh the mod out in a way that'll make it seem like less of a mod and more of a stand-alone.
    Like above, should be easy once we figure out the tough stuff. We could even have a sort of menu system like in the Tutorial, or use "player races" as our mode selection.

"Quanrian" said:
    <> Bonuses, Bosses, and an Arcadish type appeal and feel to the gameplay. It should look cool and be fun to play, with enough randomness to give it good replay value.
    I'll stick this into the same category as the other two - gamey icing that shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Let's be about it, people.

EDIT: Slight note for clarification: When I said "left-to-right swing trick used for a sword", I didn't mean implementing a sword in this mod. I meant that the trick was used for a sword, but I was imagining more of a palm sweep.
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    You could have attack combos where the final blow is an immensely powerful one. Either that or you build up energy from attacking.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    There really are a lot of ways to go, and none should be outright discounted. See that's one of the things that I knew would chew up a bunch of my time, was deciding on details. I was just going to use a single powerful punch that goes forward from the player along with another that does a full sweep around. The main thing though was always going to be stragetically knocking enemies into each other as just hitting them one by one wouldn't be enough to turn the tide in your favor. It'd just work better in my humble opinion if there is some tension about being overwhelmed.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    There really are a lot of ways to go, and none should be outright discounted. See that's one of the things that I knew would chew up a bunch of my time, was deciding on details. I was just going to use a single powerful punch that goes forward from the player along with another that does a full sweep around. The main thing though was always going to be stragetically knocking enemies into each other as just hitting them one by one wouldn't be enough to turn the tide in your favor. It'd just work better in my humble opinion if there is some tension about being overwhelmed.
    I think we need to work out how the gameplay will actually work before we start on creating a specific feel.

We're slowly starting to get some work done. I've been assigned creation of breakable walls while our artist(s) get(s) into gear and starts creating some of the more specific items.

I have one question for you, Quanrian, however. Obviously, the player isn't using any weapons, but will enemies? Will you encounter sword-wielding foes? Or even archers?
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Well I guess that's up to you. I'm actually giving you guys a lot of creative freedom. The whole point of this project just might be, taking something that's not yours and making it your own. If it's truely going to be yours, it needs to have equal parts of you in it. My simple answer might be that while he/she may not use weapons directly, there is no saying on what can be done indirectly .
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:

Do you mean fighting style inspired from God Hand; or the Over-the-top craziness of it, with the crotch smashing and the ape bosses (I AM being serious)
    And is Kungfu Hustle that movie when at the end that guy flies up into the sky and does this massive punch which creates a huge crater? My memory is a little shaky.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    And is Kungfu Hustle that movie when at the end that guy flies up into the sky and does this massive punch which creates a huge crater? My memory is a little shaky.
    That's the one.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    For some extra reference, one might note that Godhand was actually a major fanfare to a more or less known anime Fist of the Northstar.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Wait, the head-exploding martial art one?
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:

That would be the one. Is that interest I detect or revulsion ?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    "MageKing17" said:

That would be the one. Is that interest I detect or revulsion ?
    Neither, just clarification. I'd just happened to read about it a couple days ago.
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    Well I guess that's up to you. I'm actually giving you guys a lot of creative freedom. The whole point of this project just might be, taking something that's not yours and making it your own. If it's truely going to be yours, it needs to have equal parts of you in it. My simple answer might be that while he/she may not use weapons directly, there is no saying on what can be done indirectly .
    I enjoy games where you can pick up objects lying around the map and use them as weapons, tho I don't know how well that would work for this. I suppose you could put in chairs and such which could be picked up and used for a short time before they broke.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    I don't know where you're all at build-wise, so I'm checking in. It helps things move along smoothly if a stable release is put out on a regular basis. When do you all think you can put up your first build to show off some of the concepts talked about ?
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    We don't have any graphical people in our group who know how to draw, so if you have these skills please contact me, and you will probably earn a position in our group.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    I'm not seeing any responses about artists. Am I to assume you guys don't have a single artist amongst you ? You might have to, and should be more aggressive in that case. You 'can' look outside of this forum for talent. It's sick how many artists are out there and not even one is willing to help you ? I'm sure between the mass of you, you can find someone.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    We've always had a shortage of artists on these forums. In fact, there's almost always a shortage of artists on all kinds of projects. Freespace Open jumps to mind, as there are all kinds of mods that people end up being unable to make or take forever to release because there are simply a limited number of artists. FREDers (people skilled at using the FRED mission editor for the game), on the other hand, are plentiful, so once a mod has the graphical resources, missions are created relatively quickly.

We're no different here, we just aren't using Freespace 2 and FRED as our tools.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Well if you guys really have such trouble, I could always try and see what I can do. I'm not beyond offering my help, I just want to see how far you guys can get without it. Worst case, I can even make graphics, I'm just not very fast(or skilled) at making them, and you'd all need to decide on a style before I could even commit to such a thing ontop of all the design work I'm currently doing for Cormoon.

< NEW >

I haven't heard anything from you guys in a while. Do any of you have a progress update for me ?
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    1) Crazy has offered to be our GFX man without being crammed into the project proper.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    That's great!

"Quanrian" said:

I haven't heard anything from you guys in a while. Do any of you have a progress update for me ?
    And yes, we have.

1.) MK has almost finished with the destructible wall code
    2.) Grim has copied some terrain_types from default
    3.) I've made a simple combo system for one weapon (needs minor fixing & tweaking)
    4.) A Photobucket account has been started
    5.) We have 2 Writeboards (A Writeboard is like a white board. You put stuff onto it which people can freely edit.)
    A code Writeboard and a design Writeboard.
    This is what the design board looks like.

I’m going to put the possible design of our game in the this Writeboard.
    Feel free to edit anything. (NO jet-pack flying rhinoceroses with rapid-fire-nukes attached to it).
    It also might be a good idea to change the names of some things.
    Eg. Instead of Fire Punch, how about Inferno Blast? Something like that.

Also: I’m not restricting anyone from making this a fun game, go crazy with your ideas!

Name: ...I don’t know, we can think of one once we have a story going. But for now:
    Bob’s Smash Wars: The Final Killing of Mutant Chocolate Pancakes

Storyline: You are a noun who wants to verb a whole bunch of nouns because they verbed your adjective noun. You are very adjective, so you decide to verb instead of verb. Bananas then verb the world before Professor Noun can invent a new type of noun to destroy Mars. After that you verb the noun whilst verbing the noun of noun.

Weapons/types of punches

That combo system I already have (needs to be bug-fixed)

Auto Mega-Strike

Fire Punch: Catches enemies on fire, they run to the nearest pool of water to douse themselves

Ice Punch: Freezes enemies

Electro Punch: If the target is standing in water then…zapping and more zapping.

Power Ups

Higher Armour level

Stronger weapons/punches

Slow down time

Stop time

Faster speed

Invincibility

Some enemies become allies

Touching enemies hurts them

Enemies

Generic bad-guy

Ninjas! (swords and throwing stars)

Bow/crossbow enemies

Generic bad-guy with his own combo system

Bosses

Your EVIL twin

As you can see, the storyline and name are a bit shaky.
    But, alas, all things are not blissful is the land of Experimental Project.

1.)Pete hasn't logged on for 16 days. I've sent him a PM.
    2.)People are late posting in their code. This is acceptable though, cause my dates were pretty mean. This mean ->
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Thanks for the update and keep me and of course the forum posted. Let's show the newer forum members just how a mod can get done ! Good job to all of you participating, even those with their initial doubts. Remember always that making something happen is much harder than stopping it from happening, so try the high road every once in a while.

Here's some suggestions for new names that don't sound so... generic. Feel free to bastardize these further, it's just a guideline.

Fire Punch - Inferno Slam
    Ice Punch - Chill Strike
    Electro Punch - Static Crackle

You should note that each attack has a unique, non-redundant name. You might want to think of doing this across the board with names. There is nothing cheesier in a game than seeing a long list of things with similar names. Having a long list of similiar names is also very confusing and a bit disorienting for the player. Even at a glance I'd be able to see the difference between the attacks, cause the names are so varied. This, again, is just advice, not a requirement. I do however stress to at least give my advice some weight, as I've spent a good chunk of my life researching and working in game development.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:

Fire Punch - Inferno Slam
    Ice Punch - Chill Strike
    Electro Punch - Static Crackle

Great names, but "crackle" seems like a breakfast cereal attack. Here are some other suggestions (anyone else got better ideas?).

Inferno slam - Incinerating Inferno
    Chill strike - Winter Fury
    Static crackle - Static Slam

I also suggest that we could have reaction commands (like in God of War and in Kingdom Hearts 2). What I mean by reaction commands is that if you press the right button at the right time: BOOM something awesome and powerful happens. This made boss fights in Kingdom Hearts 2 an AN ABSOLUTE THRILL, pay special attention to:

Twilight Thorn (involved throwing your weapon at an extremely powerful orb, whilst falling into it, creating an explosion)
    Sephiroth (involved blocking 50 attacks in one second)
    Axel (involved fire, air doges and dual weapons)
    Xemnas (involved running up walls, hitting Xemnas, then doing a back-flip)
    That dragon (involved ducking as it flew above you, then attacking it's exposed stomach)

You might want to Youtube all of these.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    Just be careful about being redundant because Incinerating Inferno is redundant.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    I'm not sure by what you mean by redundant because there are 2 different possible meanings:

1. Superfluous; exceeding what is necessary.
    2. Repetitive or needlessly wordy.

Incinerating Inferno is a bit wordy, if that's what you mean.

So how about:
    Flaming Fist
    or
    Flaming Fury

But Flaming Fury might be confused with Winter Fury. So:
    Blizzard's Blast? Winter Wonderland (of pain)? Santa's Retribution?
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Santa's claws.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Santa's claws.
    I get it! Now our storyline is complete!

Storyline: You are Santa who wants to destroy a whole bunch of elves because they destroyed your Toy Factory. You are very angry, so you decide to kill instead of forgiving. Bananas then warn the world before Professor Noun can invent a new type of DEATH-RAY to destroy Mars. After that you explode the elves whilst singing Christmas carols.

Moving on. This is the code to Fire Punch / Inferno Slam / Incinerating Inferno / Flaming Fury
    Can ANYONE see anything wrong with it?

Flaming Fury-
    Once it hits an enemy it raises a bar. The creature has a timed slot:

If bar is higher than 1.
    Then transform to creature with:
    Same max and min speed (you won’t stand still if on fire, will you?)
    It constantly fire an invisible weapon around it, setting other enemies alight
    The creature will be in an AI mode which is angry ALL THE TIME
    It only has 1 enemy, A creature which will only be placed on water, the fire-creature should run towards this water-creature.

The water creature constantly fires an invisible weapon which will reverse the process on the fire creature.

New-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's this for a REAL storyline?

You a martial artist in a fantasy world, the technology standard will we during the time of ninjas (whenever that was). Anyway, you are a student of a great
    Kung Fu Master, who was assassinated by some assassins (well duh). So! You decide to avenge your great master by trying to
    find the 4 Golden Orbs of (name pending).
    Each orb give you new superhuman powers, and upgrades your Kung Fu arsenal (not the soccer team). Unfortunately a whole bunch of other (evil) martial artist are trying to find the orbs too! (we might put in a time limit to when an evil ninjas finds one, once the time limited is reached, the evil ninja obtains the orb, and is, like, 500 times more powerful.
    The special thing about this game is that (wait for it) the map should be a WHOLE WORLD (fantasy one, I don't wanna study maps) as far as I know this has NEVER been done before, it will be pretty easy to use, too. The map editor is user friendly and the maps file is easy to use.
    The game should feature large open plains (with plenty of surprises); large, busy cities / towns; people to interact with (not sure how, yet); allies to find and buy (mercenaries); Ancient Temples (sort of like dungeons); forests; the sea (you need to travel on ships to get places); islands with lots of volcanoes; ancient tribes who fear, hate or worship you; little mini-orbs along the way and exp points for killing bad guys (I want FAST LEVELING! NOT SLOW).

Now for a proper name: The 4 Golden Orbs of (name pending) or something else. What do you think?! Feel free to complain and point out all of it's tiny flaws
    #
    Forum » Experimental Project
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: