Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Experimental Project
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Experimental Project

Quanrian 16 years ago
    At about this point it might be a good idea to show something beyond text. Does the team have any concept art of ingame art or screenshots to show off ? These will help everyone visualize what is being done as text becomes quite shallow quickly.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Well...Since I have no idea how to draw concept art, and The 4 Golden Orbs of (name pending) has just about no code in it, here's just some pictures to visualize over.

- Temples -Town layout
    -A boss from Shadows of the Colossus
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    Well...Since I have no idea how to draw concept art
    I do. Whadda ya want?
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Concept art is a random picture to make people go: oooh! aaah! over, but it won't be in the final game, right? So I don't really see the point of drawing it (except to advertise, etc.) How about you draw the player? I've leave it up to you to what he looks like, but make it easily editable, so you can make him were different clothes and armour.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    Concept art is a random picture to make people go: oooh! aaah! over, but it won't be in the final game, right? So I don't really see the point of drawing it (except to advertise, etc.) How about you draw the player? I've leave it up to you to what he looks like, but make it easily editable, so you can make him were different clothes and armour.

Concept art is what the artist uses as a basis for their drawings and in-game artwork. It is by all means important, but truely not vital. In contrast to it not being vital, it adds a layer of professionalism, as the final art is usually far more polished when it is based off of concept art. So I do highly suggest you guys invest some time in putting out some real concept art, and not just popping up art from other games. If you must, think of the concept art as your visual presentation on what the game might be. Concept art isn't just for characters, it can be for stuff like animations, scripted events, ect.

I do not take people seriously who can't show me concept art. One point of this Project, is to show me I can take the modders seriously in doing what they say they can do and actually following through with it. So it's not as if I'm going to force you all to do the concept art, but I am firm in believing it strengthens a project. I would of not bothered with Cormoon for as long as I have, had I not had the concept art to reflect upon.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Concept art is important. It's about planning your project, about some sort of specification. It gives a feeling for what should be done. It's more supposed to be functional than artistic.

Do not underestimate the importance of design documents, of which one genre is concept art.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    OK then, NOW I understand what concept art is, and it's significance.

Crazy - Could you stop drawing the player, if you're not already stuck into it, and start some work on concept art?

I think that this is what concept art we might need (I don't mind if they're rough sketches):

1. A main bad guy...I think he should look like: An evil looking guy in a black cloak, holding a weapon of some sort. He should look like he demands control.

2. The player, in an abandoned temple/cave/dungeon searching for a golden orb.

Choose whatever perspective you think will suit these.

I can't make up my mind on one little thing in the game. Should it be serious, very dramatic, etc. or be funny, laughable and random?
    I EXPECT EVERYONE IN THE TEAM TO PUT FORTH THEIR IDEAS

New storyline ideas! With a main, evil, bad guy I think that all of the other people trying to get the orb will all be on the same side. But they are all trying to get the orb for the main bad guy. Just touching the orb should give the person ultimate power.

I also think that it will be good if some orbs are "dark orbs" which give slightly more power to the user, but mutate him somehow. The mutation will have their good effects, but they will mainly be bad. Mutations should make random people who meet you, fear and be more aggressive to you. It is the player's choice to use the orb, or destroy it.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    You're not really emitting a lot of data here, so i'm just gonna be whipping up my own ideas later. You could just as well draw what you're thinking, perhaps. You could look at what Quan and, er... WolfAstoria? Did in Cormoon.

Basically, particularly since i'm not in the project, i'm just the tool for fleshing out your ideas, not my own.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    i'm just the tool for fleshing out your ideas, not my own.

Ok then, I'm gonna give you so much descriptive information that you'll be as something as a something...I can't think of a good simile....

1.That ultimate bad guy: a black hooded robe; angry eyes; evil grin; human; one hand glowing red, evilly; other hand holding massive battle staff. Underneath robe put spiked armour.

Evil guys robe's: long, covers arms and legs, red trimmings around neck, and cuffs
    Evil guy's staff: big, looks heavy, crooked at top. Staff is red. Looks wooden, if possible.
    Evil guy's spiked armour: big, thick, with spikes.

That should be more than enough for now. If you need any more info, just ask.
    Once you're finished put it on our photobucket account, the account number an password are in the message titled: Combo system + image sharing
    in Basecamp.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    A nice reply to the above post, would be some concept art .
    #
    speedblade 16 years ago
    Second post above this, Ain't that a "Little" bit hard to do on notrium? Unless you're making the game side veiwed-like like quan's mod?
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "speedblade" said:
    Second post above this, Ain't that a "Little" bit hard to do on notrium? Unless you're making the game side veiwed-like like quan's mod?
    Ever heard of cutscenes? IIRC, Notrium's latest version could do those.

Please confirm whether or not it could, kthx.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    IIRC, Notrium's latest version could do those.
    Yup.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    You mean 1.3.4.1? Or have a missed out on some awesome new Notrium which involves 3D graphics and photorealism so awesome that you need a supercomputer to run it?
    Oh yes and
    "Quanrian" said:
    You want ME to do some concept art!? If I even consider trying to draw something then it will end up looking like some giant, evil, purple blob. Or maybe a mis-read the text and it actually said quite the opposite.

In a related topic, has anyone thought that it might be a little bit hard to draw some armour THROUGH a robe? Because for now on it is a cloak.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    Yeah, well, i can't exactly say that i'm short on time.

i have NONE. But fine, i started drawing before Aegis told me more specifically what he wanted, so...

Dude's got a viking edge to him, though he's holding an Oakeshott Type XIII with a finger & thumb ring. The runes are only semi-random, too.

The sword would place the earliest this character could appear in the late medieval age, though i made sure there's no upper limit in case it's a sci-fi or modern theme.

Has some mistakes, but, well, i'm not going to fix them now, am i?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I can think of only one word to appropriately describe that image.

Bitchin'.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:

Has some mistakes, but, well, I'm not going to fix them now, am i?

THAT PICTURE IS THE MOST AWESOME PICTURE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. Bravo! Excellent! Excellent!Outstanding!Exceptional!Brilliant!Radiant!Joyful! Carefree!Untroubled!Tranquil!Soothing!Calming!Encouraging!Heartening! Educational!Errr... Microsoft Word has sort of trailed off with the synonyms...
    Don't worry about the mistakes, I consider them meaningless now, it would be a shame to scrap something this good.
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    Is it just me or does he somewhat resemble Crazys TIAoGaC character?

It's pretty awesome anyway.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    What's TIAoGaC?
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    What's TIAoGaC?
    Check projects corner. The Inevitable Adventures of Grim and Crazy, to be precise.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Anarion" said:

It's pretty awesome anyway.
    He shouldn't. Maybe it's the hair?

Anyway, i just posted that dude because something needed posting. I had already started on what Aegis told more specifically. I didn't quite understand if he was portraying a mage or warrior (i CAN draw heavy armor under robes), so i dropped the armor and went for a oriental kung-fu mage. Has only two mistakes!

I can't quite balance "a commanding aura" and berserk-ness either. Choose one or the other.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    Uh, yeah, considering it's being drawn by the same person, that's kind of expected.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    I can't quite balance "a commanding aura" and berserk-ness either. Choose one or the other.
    Ummm...yeah I can see what you mean by that...Perhaps more a a berserker look to him would be nice. And if you can draw armor, then great! And maybe he should wear a gauntlet on his non-magical hand. Perhaps he could have a thicker staff too and maybe a helmet?

P.S. I like your newest evil-guy's eyebrows!

P.P.S. The evil guy needs a name, something EVIL sounding, perhaps an anagram for "evil", or "I will kill you", something like Mr. Spaghetti.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    P.P.S. The evil guy needs a name, something EVIL sounding, perhaps an anagram for "evil", or "I will kill you", something like Mr. Spaghetti.
    Anagrams of "I will kill you":
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=I+will+kill+you&language=english-obscure&t=0&d=&include=&exclude=&n=&m=&source=adv&a=n&l=n&q=n">http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cg ... =n&l=n&q=n</a><!-- m -->

And anagrams of "evil":
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=evil&language=english-obscure&t=0&d=&include=&exclude=&n=&m=&source=adv&a=y&l=n&q=n">http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cg ... =y&l=n&q=n</a><!-- m -->

Plenty to choose from.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Um...Maybe a good anagram, not "Wilily Kill Ou" or "live" Besides, it doesn't need to be an anagram.

An anagram of "experimental project" is "Ace Teleprompter Jinx"
    An anagram of "destroy" is "Dry Toes"
    An anagram of "especially cool" is "A Escapee Meow Silly"
    2 anagrams of "destructive" are "Curtsied Vet" and "cutest diver"

Anagrams are fun!
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    An anagram of "especially cool" is "A Escapee Meow Silly"
    That, my friend, is a lie. "A Escapee Meow Silly" contains different letters than "especially cool".
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Oops... I meant "especially AWESOME".

Repaired Poet

It's an anagram of "PREPARE TO DIE!!!" MWAAA HA HA!
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    As someone who has named over two dozen characters via anagrams, I happily offer my assistance in this area. However, "Yilliwik Lilou" seems to be the only half-namelike thing you can derive from "I will kill you", so I'm going to try something else. Like "Evil Psychopath".

Evil Psychopath - Hopath Pesvylic, Pelcho Sivapyth, Tihopsyl Vechpa... Hmm, on second thought, let's not use these.

Anyone have phrase suggestions?
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Howsabout "Ville is God"?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Howsabout "Ville is God"?
    Ville is God - Lideo Gilvs, Devil's Ligo, Logvil Side... I'm not liking the letter selection for that phrase.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    What about "The Evil Antagonist"?
    #
    Bubb9 16 years ago
    Sorry I'm late lots and lots happening I dont know alot about scripting in notrium but I do have basic knowledge on how it works and would like to help. I infact was thinking about doing a bit of a mod that mainly just changed where the game took place.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    I can't really see anything wrong with you joining... What does everybody else think?

Multiple anagrams for "Hell's Guardian" are:
    "Algal Duns Heir","Ashlar Glide Nu","Ashlar Gelid Nu","Aishlar Gulden","Ashlar Due Ling","Ashlar En Guild","Ashlar Dug Lien"

Yeah...so I use Ashlar a lot...

NEW: Hello? Anybody there? I guess not. So right now I'm going to say, welcome aboard! I've PMed your account details to you.

YET EVEN NEWER: These are some maps which we could use.

#
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    I'm just peeking in and it looks like things are moving along. You all should decide on perhaps one or several mythologies to use as the basis for your artwork and general game design. I'm seeing several different cultures represented, and that can be a theme in and of itself. Typically however it's a bit less confusing and consistant if you just combine several cultures into one, while maintaining an oddball or two for varities sake.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    while maintaining an oddball or two for varities sake.
    Those oddballs can be random tribes.
    Combining several cultures into one might be a bit tricky, it might seem a little dumb to people who meet a virtual person from Asia, who has Roman body armour, worships Zeus (Aegis is Zeus' shield, by the way ), and drink tea while saying "poppycock" like the English .
    'K, how about this: Greek architecture, everyone speaks English (so I can understand ), Chinese ninjas, martial artists, and Lord Poopingmyer's magic civilization of mages and magicians.

We also need to decide upon the percentages of the world, I've discovered yet another world builder which has the following options:
    Map width and height (no particular measurement)
    Map size - in thousands of the random measurement above
    The wrapping of the world - what shape the world is (the Earth is round, I repeat ROUND , SHOCK HORROR!)
    The creating method - 0=none, 1=random height generator, 2=not as random height generator, 3=island based
    Presence of incredibly extremely tiny islands
    Whether the poles should be on separate continents
    Average temperature of the planet - 0 to 100 (CELSIUS RULZ!) but in this case it actually isn't Celsius, anything below 50 is cold
    Percentage of map that is land - Earth has 30%, but no-one would want the game to have 70% of nothing
    Amount of hills and mountains (a bit dumb, but we might be able to replicate it somehow)
    Amount of water on land - rivers, lakes, etc.
    #
    Forum » Experimental Project
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: