Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Modding (ecosystem, visual range, shutdown questions)

Modding (ecosystem, visual range, shutdown questions)

Avimimus 16 years ago
Hello,

I have been working on rebuilding the gameplay of the default notrium:
- the player creatures and as well as all other creatures move at 50% speed and player bars drain at 50% speed
- creature AI has been modified so that some types occasionally pause, flee or attack (making behaviour unpredictable)
- meelee attack values are reduced

I would like to add a couple of more advanced features but I need help:
- the alien should have time dilation ability or some kind of cloak so that it can still be effective (even though it is slower)
- I would like to decrease the visual range of all player characters (or make the alien creatures harder to see)
- when the android stops moving it should not suffer any energy drain

Also, are there:
- any ecosystem mods? It would be nice if the animals repopulated and preyed on each other...
- mods that expand the map somewhat with more blank areas to wander through
- mods that would allow one to build a shelter

Thank you
#
Aegis 16 years ago
"Avimimus" said:

- when the android stops moving it should not suffer any energy drain

I think that this is impossible, because there is no condition number relating to creature speed.
#
Avimimus 16 years ago
Thanks,

What if you were to create a stick that produced free energy (equal to that which is normally drained) and had a negative mass (so that when it was placed the android couldn't move)? There may be other work arounds possible (eg. setting the player character speed to 0 and having movement only possible when an item was picked up or used that would cause the normal, gradual, power drain)

Do you have any ideas about the other areas (eg. how to lower the player ability to spot all creatures or how to give the alien the ability to slow time?)
#
Aegis 16 years ago
You could pretty easily make an item which increases energy, but with the sacrifice of using effect number 1 (multiply creature speed by yada, yada, yada). But you can't make Notrium automatically detect if the player isn't moving.

"Avimimus" said:
Do you have any ideas about the other areas (eg. how to lower the player ability to spot all creatures or how to give the alien the ability to slow time?)

I don't think you can adjust the player vision. But it would be EXTREMELY easy to slow down time. It has it's own effect number (effect number 3.But you can't stop or reverse time.
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"Aegis" said:
I don't think you can adjust the player vision.
Actually, it's possible to change how the player perceives creatures/items... I seem to recall one of the powerups you could buy upon levelup in the Werivar mod made creatures/items easier to see...
#
Aegis 16 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
"Aegis" said:
I don't think you can adjust the player vision.
Actually, it's possible to change how the player perceives creatures/items... I seem to recall one of the powerups you could buy upon levelup in the Werivar mod made creatures/items easier to see...
Yes, but that simply adds a light addition to the creature.
#
Crazy 16 years ago
You could add an item that the Android can use that will make him immobile. It would probably be best to set this one under some sort of hotkey.
#
Avimimus 16 years ago
Hello again,

I have had trouble getting time distortion to work. I assume that I should use the existing weapon entry (as opposed to calling the effect). I have tried adding it by simply duplicating an existing "specialty" entry in player_characters.dat (this causes the game to crash). Any advice is appreciated, as this is a small mod and I doubt it will be worthwhile (or that I will have the time to) figure out all the nuances of the file structure myself.

I have further tested the mod and it is possible to take out the mining complex and the missile bases as the alien. All that I need to do is modify the big turrets (I'm still trying to find the right entires for them). So, it isn't absolutely necessary to add these features, although it would be nice (otherwise it takes about 20 reloads in order to find the right tactics).

Thank you,
#
Aegis 16 years ago
"Avimimus" said:
Hello again,

I have had trouble getting time distortion to work. I assume that I should use the existing weapon entry (as opposed to calling the effect). I have tried adding it by simply duplicating an existing "specialty" entry in player_characters.dat (this causes the game to crash).

Are you trying to make a time distortion item or a time distortion weapon? Here is some basic code for a time distortion item, taken from the modding library:
Bullet Time;//name---------------------------------------
1;//identifier
0;//item class
0.000000;//weight
Press B to activate!;//short description
none;//first pick up text
0.650000;//size on map
2;//show on radar 0=does not show, 1=show on scanner, 2=show even without scanner
-1;//particle to shown on radar
1;//visible in inventory 0=no (can only be used via quick keys), 1=yes
qpdash.png;//texture name
-1;//wielded script,-1=nothing, only applicable for wieldable items
-1;//wielded item disabling script, -1=nothing, this script is only checked for conditions while the item is wielded, if the conditions prove false, the item
is unwielded 1;//show help text for conditions
begin_wield_slots;
4;//slot number
end_wield_slots;
begin_effects_block;
Time Slows and you can think clearly.;//event text
none;//event failure text
use.wav;//sound, none for nothing
0;//vanishes after event, 0=no, 1=yes
U;//use key
B;//quick key
begin_conditions;
end_conditions;
begin_effects;
38;//effect number
0.080000;//parameter1
0.000000;//parameter2
0.000000;//parameter3
0.000000;//parameter4
end_effects;
end_effects_block;
begin_combinations;
end_combinations;

I don't really understand why you tried to use the player_races.dat file specialties (you mentioned player_characters.dat, could that be the source of the crash?)
#
Avimimus 16 years ago
Thank you,

I was messing around in Player_characters.dat in order to try to add it as a default item for the alien (hence the crashes). As soon as I do this, or alternatively, somehow make the big turrets at the missile base vulnerable to the Alien then I will make the last wave of changes and upload an initial release.
#
Avimimus 16 years ago
How do you modify a creature's hitpoints?
#
Redemption 16 years ago
You change the health specialty in creatures.dat.
Example (under begin_specialties):
  ;//description
0;//number
0.000000;//parameter0 -------- Bar number
0.000000;//parameter1 -------- Minimum
200.000000;//parameter2 -------- Maximum
200.000000;//parameter3 -------- Amount to start off with

Change the last two lines to change a creatures health.
#
Forum » Modding (ecosystem, visual range, shutdown questions)

Your email:
Your name: