Register
Email: Password:
Forum » College/University Thread

College/University Thread

The Gemini 16 years ago
After almost 13 years of education, I am finaly in my final semester of high school. Soon, me and my fellow students will drive around in Oslo in big red vans, partying all night long in baggy red pants, celebrating the end of the hated school and the beginning of our new lives. This tradition is called "Russ" btw, kinda the norwegian answer to the american prom, though it lasts much longer, and is far from glamorous.

Before all the partying, we will choose where we will study, either its college, university or whatever. For you who are studying/have studied, I guess you remember the anticipation and excitement. I personally can't wait before I begin my new life at the university. I know there are many others here on this forum who are graduating from high school this year or next, so I wanted to create a topic about higher education. What college/universe will you attend to, what are your plans for your future etc.

Personally I am going to apply for the university of NTNU in Trondheim, a city quite a distance from Oslo. I want to study psychology, or something in that street. One of my dreams for the future is a job within the police, and I know a graduation in psychology will really help me there. Also, Norway have a shortage of psychologists, so finding a job won't be hard at all. Having an average grade on 4.5/6, I guess I'll have no problems with being admitted. It will take 6 long years, but thanks to that Trondheim is supposed to have the best student life in the entire country, I don't think it will get boring I hope, hehe.
#
Idiota 16 years ago
I'll be studying Physics in Enschede starting September 1st. (If everything goes as planned, that is. ) There can be no limit to my understanding of the world around me and the uuuuuniverse.
#
Amarth 16 years ago
If Physics is anything like it is here, you're going to be in pain.

OTOH, that also means you get a lot of maths, no?
#
Idiota 16 years ago
Yes. Not something I dislike
#
The Gemini 16 years ago
I once thought I would study something like that too. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I just lost all interest in natural sciences.
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"The Gemini" said:
I once thought I would study something like that too. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I just lost all interest in natural sciences.
Probably because they didn't do enough astrophysics. That's where the real fun stuff is.
#
Amarth 16 years ago
Astrophysics? *snort*

"Hey, we can't quite explain this, so let's come up with an entire new kind of matter! Oh, and a new kind of energy! An undetectable one! Hey, look at us, our equations hold! We rule!"

Very elegant, yeah...
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"Amarth" said:
Astrophysics? *snort*

"Hey, we can't quite explain this, so let's come up with an entire new kind of matter! Oh, and a new kind of energy! An undetectable one! Hey, look at us, our equations hold! We rule!"

Very elegant, yeah...
Who said anything about elegant? It's nifty. The first time I truly understood how a black hole worked, my brain quite nearly exploded from awesome.
#
Amarth 16 years ago
What? It's just a Lorentzian manifold where a couple of geodesics are going degenerate. I mean, when normal physicists get arbitrary large terms in there equations, they go search for the error they made. Astrophysics just changes our notion of the space we live in, making it non-smooth.

I sincerely believe that a big deal of what astrophysics now states as true, and that you believe in, will be changed in the years to come. The models are becoming unwieldy big. Non-testable hypotheses are being shoved forwards. This is anti-science. The way it is now, I truly don't like astrophysics.
#
Idiota 16 years ago
Astrophysics will not be fully understood until long after everyone here on the forums is long dead.
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"Idiota" said:
Astrophysics will not be fully understood until long after everyone here on the forums is long dead.
Well, now, when you think about life-extending technology that could be developed in the next forty or fifty years (nanotechnology, mind uploading, et cetera), that statement looks less and less likely.
#
Idiota 16 years ago
I haven't heard of any life-extending machinery being developed atm, something I missed?
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
Well, now, when you think about life-extending technology that could be developed in the next forty or fifty years (nanotechnology, mind uploading, et cetera), that statement looks less and less likely.
"Idiota" said:
I haven't heard of any life-extending machinery being developed atm, something I missed?
Yeah, the "that could be developed" part.
#
Forum » College/University Thread

Your email:
Your name: