Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Oath
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Oath

Admiral 16 years ago
    I, the undersigned, do so somlemly swear, to the best of my ability, complete this mod. Although realise, i cannot draw to save myself and so will be using notrium graphics (any and all donated graphics are VERY much appreciated) for this Mythical-Medieval-Magical style mod. Here is my idea list so far:

So far 1 'race':
    Human, standard player.
    I plan to add a few more, hopefully at least an 'Elf' race

6 'jobs':
    Warrior, uses close combat weapons, shortsword, etc.
    Archer, uses ranged combat weapons, bow and arrows, etc.
    Mage, uses combat magic, elemental spells, ect.
    Druid, has a special item: Mortar & Pestle used to make powders from roots and plants. Powders combine to make harmful/helpful items.
    Summoner, calls forth powerful magical entities to do battle for him/her. Physically vulnerable to attack.
    Alchemist, 'forges' powerful 'golems' from items such as clay or marble...

Starts in the Hall of Knowledge, a temple where the player can answer questions to gain useful items (this might be tricky but i'll try it)

I have also a plan to implement 'treasure chests', which should be fun. i.e. if you, say, wipe out all enemies you will gain access to the treasure chest.

Yours,
    Admiral

P.S. Hall Of Knowledge update: There are only 10 inventories (inventory 0 is the default player inventory) so there will only be 8 question alters in the Hall of Knowledge...
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    I, the undersigned, do so somlemly swear, to the best of my ability, complete this mod.
    Harsh words around here.

If you manage to put out a decent alpha, i can offer limited support with doing your graphics. Very limited. No promises.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Um, yeah. What is an Alpha? I think I know what a Beta is but I don't really know what an Alpha is...

A Beta version of a game is an early release demonstrating a bit of gameplay like movie scenes, battle system, combat, basically what to expect in the finished product. Does this idea compare in any way to an Alpha?
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    An alpha is like half a line of coding which doesn't work, but gets released anyway
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Progress report:

Okay, Hall of Knowledge Temple Comlex is complete, looks beautiful (In my opinion...) With 8! Question Altars.
    But, so far, it's the only map but I plant to have a few 'cities' on the 'Main Map' including the Hall.

Human is pretty much complete. Still working on Elf.

Experience Bar & 'Level Up' Scripts pretty much complete.
    Potion & Ether complete.

All Jobs have an Initial Weapon:

Warrior - initial weapon (shortsword) complete, upgrades under construction.
    Archer - (Short Bow) & (Arrow)s complete, same status as Warrior.
    Mage - (Mythril Stave) & (Grimoire) coded.
    Druid - (Oak Branch) & (Mortar & Pestle) coded.
    Summoner - (Sceptre) & (Summoners Tome) coded.
    Alchemist - (Alchemic Rod) & (Alchemical Tome) complete.

For the Tomes, Grimoire and M&P I still have to add the code for their various effects, eg. Creating Golems, Summoning Beasts, ect.

Almost completed the Elemental Weapons.

Still as determined as ever!

P.S. Ideas still to come:

Golems:
    Gemini: Two Golems are summoned simulaniously BUT (If i can figure out how) Killing one will kill the other.
    Clay Golem: Maybe the 'standard' golem
    Marble Golem: Higher Hit points than clay.
    Elemental Golems (?)
    Iron Golem (?)

Summons:
    Fire, Water, Air, Earth Summon * 3 (one set of each for each exp level)
    Possibly a Gemini Summon (?) Though this might take something away from the Alchemist...

Various herbs, roots, nuts, berries for the Druids M&P - Makes powders, juice, ect. which are mixed to make tonics, ect. Some of which can be used as weapons.

P.S Would anyone object if Rain killed the Clay Golem (picture melting)

[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->shot000.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->shot001.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Admiral" said:

Gemini: Two Golems are summoned simulaniously BUT (If i can figure out how) Killing one will kill the other.
    Easy-peasy. Just use a death block, a timed block, some imaginative bars and effect number 31.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    I meant pre-alpha, actually.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_release">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_release</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    I meant pre-alpha, actually.

Like what I've coded so far?

Well i suppose i could let it out, the game is playable but there's not much to do yet...
    It's not been completely tested.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    All the more reason to release it. People can test it for you, and some of us can help fix problems.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Right, give me ~24 hours to tie up some loose ends then i'll release it
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Note:
    decent alpha
    But for god's sake, don't let that stop you from releasing your current pre-alpha. I just added "decent" there so you wouldn't take barebones and add a new creature and say this is it.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Well to be honest, I didn't use Barebones to make this mod... I stripped Vanilla Notrium down to just the elements I wanted to keep (As some of you might have noticed, the minimap in the pic above reads Ancient Ruins...) I have to tidy up the dat files a bit but other than that... all goes well here!

P.S. To Ville if he's listening... How far can the Notrium engine be taken? I've had an idea, i think CivNotrium MIGHT be possible...
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Admiral" said:
    i think CivNotrium MIGHT be possible...
    CivNotrium?!? Hell, I don't even think an RTS is possible in Notrium, let alone a 4X.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Notrium can be taken pretty far. It has all the stuff to make any 2D game of any type. But RTSes would have to be simple. VERY SIMPLE. VERY, VERY, VERY SIMPLE

And if you're using default, but you don't want it based of default, then I suggest you do a lot of cleaning.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:

And if you're using default, but you don't want it based of default, then I suggest you do a lot of cleaning.

I mean this mod... but the Civ- was just a pipe dream, just a thought. Yeah, it would have to be ridiculously simple but not impossible... speaking of which: how and where can i upload this pre-alpha?

If someone can provide me with upload instructions, I will do my absolute best to upload it tomorrow (as i'm exhausted and need to sleep; alas i'm only mortal)

EDIT: Under consideration: re-naming Druid to Apothecary.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    There a quite a bit of options on where to upload your files. I personally use <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rapidshare.com">http://www.rapidshare.com</a><!-- w --> because it has a neato download counter (if you create an account). Unfortunately the file will automatically delete itself if it isn't downloaded for 90 days, but by then any mod will truly be dead. But you could re-upload it.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Copy the graphics, sounds, and the data somewhere and use an archiving app (such as WinRAR or 7zip) to pack it all up.

In order to make it easy to extract, the contents of the archive file (.zip, .rar, .7z) should be ordered like thus:
    Archive file
    --data\
    ----your mod folder\
    ------your data files
    --sounds\
    ----your sounds folder\
    ------your sound files
    --graphics\
    ----your graphics folder\
    ------your graphic files

If you don't use any new/modified graphics or sounds, you can leave those folders out of the archive file.

After you've got the archive file, go to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/">http://www.mediafire.com/</a><!-- m --> or some other file hosting place and upload it there. You'll then need to post the link provided by the file hosting service.

Or, alternatively ('though I'm not sure what sort of size limit there is, if any), you can click on the "Upload attachment" tab right below the "Save", "Preview", and "Submit" buttons, click "Browse..." to find the archive file, and finally click "Add the file" to upload it as an attachment, which people can then download (you need to press Submit after uploading the file).
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Okay, think i've done it right... http://rapidshare.com/files/87092743/eTernAl.zip.html
    Be harsh critiques...
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    I've downloaded and installed it. I've had a quick go, and this is my findings:

I chose a summoner in my inventory, then went around the question altars. They all worked well enough, and it's a fine idea. The question about the egyptian sun god had two answers for anubis. I couldn't tell what I was getting for answering the questions correctly - I would suggest either describing the items you get, or dropping them on the ground nearby instead. The item descriptions for things like manastones also don't say what they do.

I summoned a creature, but then found I didn't have the energy to summon any more. The energy recharged slightly, but only to 50, which wasn't enough to summon. The only way I could find to get enough energy was abusing what I presume is an unintended usage of the manastones.

At 1 energy, I can use an empty manastone to charge it. I then wait a moment for that 1 energy to recharge, and fill another manastone. Using a charged manastone gives 50 energy, so with those two manastones I now have 100 energy, enough to summon.

You've got lots of original notrium technology items and objects around the world, but I presume you know that and plan on removing them later.

I was getting my melee attack de-equipped a lot, although I'm not sure why. Maybe it was something to do with the summoning tome.

I hope this helps.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    "roburky" said:
    I've downloaded and installed it. I've had a quick go, and this is my findings:

I summoned a creature, but then found I didn't have the energy to summon any more. The energy recharged slightly, but only to 50, which wasn't enough to summon. The only way I could find to get enough energy was abusing what I presume is an unintended usage of the manastones.

It's one of it's purposes.

At 1 energy, I can use an empty manastone to charge it. I then wait a moment for that 1 energy to recharge, and fill another manastone. Using a charged manastone gives 50 energy, so with those two manastones I now have 100 energy, enough to summon.

unintentional error. I think it's missing the condition.

You've got lots of original notrium technology items and objects around the world, but I presume you know that and plan on removing them later.

to which items are you referring (bear in mind I'm USING Nortium graphics for a few of my 'original' items)

I was getting my melee attack de-equipped a lot, although I'm not sure why. Maybe it was something to do with the summoning tome.

I'll check this out

I hope this helps.

It did thanks!
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    There were health packs with pickup journals referencing ville corp. Health plants with original Notrium journal entries. Crashed spaceships about the place. Notrium aliens with edible corpses etc.

You've also got a very high density of fungus etc. First time I loaded the game, I couldn't see the 'help' keycard-like item in front of me as it was obscured by fungus.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    "roburky" said:
    There were health packs with pickup journals referencing ville corp. Health plants with original Notrium journal entries. Crashed spaceships about the place. Notrium aliens with edible corpses etc.

Right, added to the check list... (Notrium Aliens will still be the 'standard' bad guys but i plan to add a few more especially Elemental Spirits)

You've also got a very high density of fungus etc. First time I loaded the game, I couldn't see the 'help' keycard-like item in front of me as it was obscured by fungus.

Will be re-named muchrooms (and the density will be sorted out when other maps are made: It uses random map placement at the moment)
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Good job on this mod! Here are some changes I which will improve your mod:
    1. The question altars a bit too far apart.
    2. I'd like the fire summon to glow in the dark. That'll be cool.
    3. Changing the difficulty removes the experience bar.
    4. Aliens have crash landed.
    5. A little but too much fungi.

Keep up the good work!
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    Good job on this mod! Here are some changes which I think will improve your mod:
    1. The question altars a bit too far apart.
    It's a kind of challenge, not just the answers, finding them...

2. I'd like the fire summon to glow in the dark. That'll be cool.
    Sure! But i think i'll make all summons glow (think ethereal light)

Can you give me a why?

4. Aliens have crash landed.
    It's a medieval style mod, setting: Earth circa 13th-14th century AD

5. A little bit too much fungi.
    Read above post

Keep up the good work!
    Will do

Thanks very much for your reply and your time

EDIT:

Can you give me a why?

Here's an idea: The exp bar is currently used to give the player the next weapon upgrade. e.g. the Warrior gets Longsword when s/he 'levels up'.

What if changing the difficulty gave the player different weapons upon 'leveling up'?

This is just an adea: I would like a yea/ney on it from forumgoers. BUT bear in mind it would be one of the LAST things coded in this mod... And the current pre-alpha is just the very first step on what i'm sure will be a long adventure into modding.

Very ambitions for my first Mod, no? Won't stop me though...
    #
    themados 16 years ago
    I reckon that each summon have a different ability it may be hard to make but an
    ice summon freezing water it is on for a bit would be cool and it would allow for some cool summoner only items
    fire could give off light and or burn nearby objects allowing cool hidden objects like before
    air could fly over obstacles or push things backwards
    earth i cant think of one for earth
    *******************************************************************************************************************************************

oops its water maybe it could allow you to go faster down long rivers and find special items in the bottom of water bodys
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Hmmm, i was planing a total of about 12 summons. 4 elementals * 3 'levels'. Perhaps with an eventual ability for the Summoner to become the Summon.

But the special abilities is worth a look-see. I'll have a think about it

EDIT(3/2/0: This sound right to you guys/gals?

Water beats Fire beats Air beats Earth beats Water

I dunno, just doesn't sound right...
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Mild! case of writ... modders block. I've coded the weapons and such (though the exp system is under review and elemental alignment is uncertain) But i've not really got a plot.

I know I want to set a few 'challenges' for the player in various towns and cities (and gaining a few bonuses: allies, etc.) But I can't think of a 'why'.

The classic: there's a tyrant who wants to take over the world and you're the only one who can stop him/her sounds VERY clichéd...

any suggestions plot wise?
    #
    Zeron 16 years ago
    World slowly being burned over? some areas would be right on the edge of an inferno of lava and fire, and you must stop the necromancer atop a massive volcano to prevent it from spilling out more lava?(I know it's weird)
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Post-apocalyptic always fits everything.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Slight update: with sneak preview of the world map
    http://rapidshare.com/files/89696985/eTernAl.zip.html
    (Lots of fixes: but no Druid yet, still thinking how i'm going to include him)

Working on the plot, doing lots of research (playing games) but most of them share the clichéd plot i mentioned earlier which i'll give into sooner or later if i don't find a better one.

Admiral
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Oh, dam! Forgot to tell you, in the game above Gemini Golem is implemented but it doesn't say it in the Alchemical Tome item in-game.

As the Alchemist do as you do to create a Clay golem but instead of pressing 'F' press 'G' (it cost the same [12*Clay Block]. Beware if one dies, the other follows!)

And finally: I'm working and at Uni so Free time is a rare commodity at the moment...
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    I'm sorry, Admiral, I've been trying to download that for the past half an hour with no luck. Rapidshare doesn't like me.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    Once you click on the link, select "free" on the bottom right, wait about 30 secs, choose your server, type in what you see in the picture and you're good to go.
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    Yeh, I've used it before. The site is just 404ing and similar at various steps of the process.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Tis' it not reading:

Download ticket reserved. In 0.4 minutes your download will be ready.
    Avoid the need for download tickets by using a PREMIUM account. Instant access!
    ?

I will try to get as much coding done as possible! But i'm desperatly low on Free Time. Anybody know where i can get some cheap? (Uni work is a massive drain)
    #
    Forum » The Oath
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: