Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Ville's new game
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Ville's new game

Narvius 14 years ago
    Right.
    Now I'll write my name on each of my body parts, just to make sure really no one happens to mistake them for someone else's xD
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    Right.
    Now I'll write my name on each of my body parts, just to make sure really no one happens to mistake them for someone else's xD
    Quoted for Epicness.

This reminds me of The Forge: "You are tatooed all over."
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    Somehow this conversation brings Planescape - Torment to my mind.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Ok, what else comes to mind when thinking about combat mechanics? Comments on the Zelda series, anyone?
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    But I'm not a Zelda fan.

As long as you can fight a group of opponents with rapid-fire combos, I'm happy.
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    Speaking of combat mechanics and groups of opponents, it goes without saying that one should be able to use some of the larger melee weapons or more effective ranged weapons to damage multiple enemies at once!

... I just thought that was important enough to be specifically pointed out, that's all.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Speaking of combat mechanics and groups of opponents, it goes without saying that one should be able to use some of the larger melee weapons or more effective ranged weapons to damage multiple enemies at once!
    DOUBLE HEADSHOT!

A Zelda style combat mechanics would fit in, as long as we have a great arsenal of weapons, IMO. For instance, a flail would behave in a different manner from a sword or a mace, not to mention the type of damage it does (a staff would do blunt damage, a knife would do cutting damave).
    #
    "E_net4" said:
    DOUBLE HEADSHOT!
    I don't get it.
    "E_net4" said:
    A Zelda style combat mechanics would fit in, as long as we have a great arsenal of weapons, IMO. For instance, a flail would behave in a different manner from a sword or a mace, not to mention the type of damage it does (a staff would do blunt damage, a knife would do cutting damage).
    That's not a bad idea, now that I think about it. However, if Ville intends to make sales on this game (IIRC, this game will be shareware), it'll need to be kept simple. Unless Ville manages to create a cult classic, a complex weapons system may not necessarily work well.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    DOUBLE HEADSHOT!
    I don't get it.
    2 guys in a row + 1 arrow + 1 archer aiming for the head = double headshot
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    A Zelda style combat mechanics would fit in, as long as we have a great arsenal of weapons, IMO. For instance, a flail would behave in a different manner from a sword or a mace, not to mention the type of damage it does (a staff would do blunt damage, a knife would do cutting damage).
    That's not a bad idea, now that I think about it. However, if Ville intends to make sales on this game (IIRC, this game will be shareware), it'll need to be kept simple. Unless Ville manages to create a cult classic, a complex weapons system may not necessarily work well.
    Great, now I don't get it.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Thanks for the input everyone!

There's one thing that I might have forgotten to tell, the game can be fully controlled with the mouse. It does limit the combat mechanics quite a bit, and for now it looks like the combat will behave much like it did in Diablo - you click on an enemy and it your character hits it. At the moment my plan is to make the combat more interesting by including different types of enemies, so your tactics will need to be varied based on the enemy types currently in combat. Of course this won't be such a combat heavy game as Diablo or most Zeldas are. Mostly the focus is on adventuring and quests, more in the vein of Baldur's gate or Fallout.
    #
    "ville" said:
    There's one thing that I might have forgotten to tell, the game can be fully controlled with the mouse. It does limit the combat mechanics quite a bit, and for now it looks like the combat will behave much like it did in Diablo - you click on an enemy and it your character hits it. At the moment my plan is to make the combat more interesting by including different types of enemies, so your tactics will need to be varied based on the enemy types currently in combat. Of course this won't be such a combat heavy game as Diablo or most Zeldas are. Mostly the focus is on adventuring and quests, more in the vein of Baldur's gate or Fallout.
    I don't like the idea at all. Using a five-button mouse and a macro app, you can play Notrium with only a mouse, and it works well. This new combat system would have to work with only three buttons so that just anyone can play it, which severely limits what can be done, as you've already stated. IMO you'll have to require the five-button mouse or use the keyboard. A "Click on an enemy to attack it" combat system is going to be hard to pull off in a side-scroller without being boring.
    "E_net4" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    DOUBLE HEADSHOT!
    I don't get it.
    2 guys in a row + 1 arrow + 1 archer aiming for the head = double headshot
    I finally get it.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Blab. I do like it. See Aquaria, it can be fully played with only the mouse (including movement) and has quite a load of variance. There's not just clicking, there's clicking close/far, double-clicking, dragging, gestures, pie menus, context sensitivity, ...
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    hard to pull off in a side-scroller
    It's top-down, not a sidescroller. Pay attention, man!
    #
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    hard to pull off in a side-scroller
    It's top-down, not a sidescroller. Pay attention, man!
    I got lost at some point, it seems.
    "Amarth" said:
    Blab. I do like it. See Aquaria, it can be fully played with only the mouse (including movement) and has quite a load of variance. There's not just clicking, there's clicking close/far, double-clicking, dragging, gestures, pie menus, context sensitivity, ...
    Mmmyea. My point was that Ville is going to have to decide how these advanced functions are going to work for this game. You've peaked my interest in this other game, by the way. *looks up Aquaria*
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    You've peaked my interest in this other game, by the way.
    The word is "piqued", not "peaked".

And as for the control system, I do hope you can reconfigure it so you can use the mouse/keyboard combination, or even a gamepad (although the gamepad thing ought to pose little problem with apps like XPadder).
    #
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    You've peaked my interest in this other game, by the way.
    The word is "piqued", not "peaked".

"Grim Reaper" said:
    And as for the control system, I do hope you can reconfigure it so you can use the mouse/keyboard combination, or even a gamepad (although the gamepad thing ought to pose little problem with apps like XPadder).
    While a macro app may work to some people's liking, I'd much rather have real joystick support. If analog control support is available in a game, I use it. I even thought out controller mappings that would have worked for Notrium if the game had supported joysticks (I got bored). Since this is also going to be a top-down game (NOT a sidescroller ), the controls may work here. Of course, I should mention the disclaimer that this idea requires some more work on Ville's part, but I would imagine that adding joystick support is nothing compared to making the rest of the game.

I know of a mouse->joystick macro app called Joymse, so if we won't have a choice over controls, we could use that instead.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    As for controls, this game will work a lot like Notrium did. In Notrium you did most of the interaction with the world using the mouse, but you moved using the keyboard. The difference here is that it's much less hectic, that's why we can also move the player with the mouse. It will play a lot like Diablo, where you mostly just used the left mouse button. Obviously I've still added the option to move using the keyboard.

I did play Aquaria a lot since Amarth introduced me to it, but to me the controls in it did seem a bit difficult. I guess I've never been able to remember those mouse gestures, and I always lose my mind with pie menus. So we're doing things a little easier to the player, just some user friendliness I never got to with Notrium, where I only added one thing on top of another without thinking how it affects the controls.

I don't know about pad support, it might come in to picture if I ever get to do a console port. Which will happen if the game is successful on PC.
    #
    "ville" said:
    As for controls, this game will work a lot like Notrium did. In Notrium you did most of the interaction with the world using the mouse, but you moved using the keyboard. The difference here is that it's much less hectic, that's why we can also move the player with the mouse. It will play a lot like Diablo, where you mostly just used the left mouse button. Obviously I've still added the option to move using the keyboard.
    I would suggest making the keyboard/mouse mode the default anyways since most people are used to it already. Also, I've never played Diablo, so I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by that.
    "ville" said:
    I don't know about pad support, it might come in to picture if I ever get to do a console port. Which will happen if the game is successful on PC.
    If it's in the game when it's initially released, I'd think there's a better chance that someone will take notice and come to you for a console port. Also, Amarth could theoretically port it to Wii homebrew for you, although he tends to be busy with other things that are important enough to set programming projects aside.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I've never played Diablo, so I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by that.
    Basically, you can hold down the mouse button and your character will walk after it. You move it around the screen, your character changes direction to follow it. Pretty straightforward.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    If it's in the game when it's initially released, I'd think there's a better chance that someone will take notice and come to you for a console port. Also, Amarth could theoretically port it to Wii homebrew for you, although he tends to be busy with other things that are important enough to set programming projects aside.
    Eh, I could, but you're not going to make money from the homebrew scene. Better off getting a license (or trying to get, not sure what it costs) for WiiWare then.
    #
    ... Oh, yeah. I'm still thinking freeware by accident.

"MageKing17" said:
    Basically, you can hold down the mouse button and your character will walk after it. You move it around the screen, your character changes direction to follow it. Pretty straightforward.
    ... Ah. This control scheme is in many games, actually. I agree with the idea now!
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I will probably allow keyboard movement by default as well as mouse movement, since they don't interfere with each other.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    What's news is that I've been working on the ingame inventory. It'll be quite different from Notrium, it's going to have slots with one item always filling one slot. You'll be able to drag items within the inventory, and to/from the ground. And you'll be able to double click an item in the inventory to activate it, no need for a special keyboard command.

The screenshots are not many weeks away now. I'm probably going to update the monkkonen.net site as well to look more modern.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    And you'll be able to double click an item in the inventory to activate it, no need for a special keyboard command.
    Will we still be able to add keyboard commands? Or an "item menu" for whenever we want to have multiple uses for a single item?
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Yes, modifiable context menus for items ftw!
    The same for stuff lying around:
    Instead of picking up and then igniting that piece of wood, just ignite it while it still lies on the ground (assuming ignite-on-use, of course).
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I may allow using keyboard keys to activate items for mods, since it should not be difficult to enable.

Your idea sounds good Cheater, at the moment you really do have to pick the wood up first, then activate it from the inventory. Maybe you could right click on it to bring up some menu on what you want to do with it.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Maybe you could right click on it to bring up some menu on what you want to do with it.
    Yes. I like this idea.
    #
    Idiota 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    The screenshots are not many weeks away now. I'm probably going to update the monkkonen.net site as well to look more modern.

Will it be updated just to look more modern, or will you be adapting the site to handle the community content (Like user-created maps) properly? If so, will these changes also allow community content from other projects (Like Notrium) to be uploaded and shared?
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Also, please don't use any artificial blockades. Just because it makes no sense to wield two shields, you shouldn't disallow it...
    #
    ZeXLR8er 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Maybe you could right click on it to bring up some menu on what you want to do with it.

I like this as well.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    The site will just have a new look. Later on the new game will get some automated niceties for user generated content, especially maps. But for now I'm going to just modernize the look a bit. I'm hoping to start a little development journal on the front page however, so I'm going to put in a comment system there as well.

Cheater: I know what you mean and I agree that's a good idea. At the moment I think this is not possible however, since wielding a shield happens by double clicking on it. Therefore you cannot tell it which hand it would go to. This is the normal way most games handle it from WOW to Oblivion and Fallout, and I wanted a simpler inventory than in Notrium.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Well, that can be combined with the context menu thingie, then xD
    Awesome Shield of Awesome -> Equip to... -> Left Hand | Right Hand | Back (yeah. Everyone who played Ocarina of Time knows that this is a viable option.)
    Of course as an addition to the standard behaviour (ie. dblclk.)
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    Well, that can be combined with the context menu thingie, then xD
    Awesome Shield of Awesome -> Equip to... -> Left Hand | Right Hand | Back
    That's good against getting shot in the back for a matter of 80$.
    "Ville" said:
    I also like it. Priority++
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Hm, but only against arrows. Bolts and magic stuph will get through =/ Too little for 80$ ^.^
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    I think double-click = default behavior and right-click = context menu would be a great system.
    #
    Forum » Ville's new game
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: