Register
Email: Password:
Forum » RepRap. How Cool Is This?

RepRap. How Cool Is This?

Thaif 14 years ago
The Replicating Rapid-prototyper.

This is pretty neat. And very kinky(it's a mental pleasure fetish, don't ask...).

I could use this to make my Automaton Armies...what would you envision with it? I CALL DIPS ON AUTOMATONS/AUTOMATA!
#
Pete 14 years ago

I want one of those.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
Oh. My. God.

Once this thing can print circuit boards, we can literally download a new computer.
#
Narvius 14 years ago
What the... gimme that.
#
E_net4 14 years ago
I had seen this before, but I am still amazed by its power. I can imagine myself producing lego-like pieces and bricks.

Edit: And dice. With up to 20 sides.
#
Crazy 14 years ago
Holy...

Whoah. Forget what WE can do, think about what IT can do for itself! The damn thing is a self-replicating machine (although limited)! This is so many sci-fi wet nightmares come to life!
#
ville 14 years ago
If somebody builds one of these, could you have it print one for me as well?
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"ville" said:
Don't you want to wait until they have the version that can manufacture 100% of its own parts?
#
E_net4 14 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
"ville" said:
Don't you want to wait until they have the version that can manufacture 100% of its own parts?
What for? When that version comes out, we'd just need to buy the new chips and unreprappable stuff of it, then letting the old reprap produce the rest of the parts.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"E_net4" said:
"MageKing17" said:
"ville" said:
What for? When that version comes out, we'd just need to buy the new chips and unreprappable stuff of it, then letting the old reprap produce the rest of the parts.
If you have someone print you the current version of RepRap, you have to buy the unreprappable parts. Once the 100% self-replicating version comes out, you'll have to buy more unreprappable parts. Whereas if you just wait for the 100% self-replicating version, you'll either only have to buy one set of unreprappable parts, or simply have someone else with the new version print you a complete RepRap. Sounds like a better deal to me.
#
Thaif 14 years ago
"ville" said:
Well, it appears that it's an "etiquette" to make 2 sets of parts(the one's you can currently make) for RepRap Machines, pro bono. It also seems to be a custom to have the very first thing that your RepRap makes to be a shotglass, so that you can toast the machine's inauguration.

Also:

A fundamental principle of the RepRap project is that anyone who has a RepRap machine will always be able to use it to build the next generation improvement. That way even if you start with the very bootstrap machine, you can always build your way back up to the full technology. Of course this may not always be possible, but we will try our very best!

The names will always commemorate famous biologists - after all, the point of RepRap is replication and evolution.

The current machine is called "Darwin". The next one will be called "Mendel".

Impressive stuff...makes me want to get that thing even more.

Oh, and enjoy the videos: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reprap.org/bin/view/Main/RepRapVids">http://www.reprap.org/bin/view/Main/RepRapVids</a><!-- m -->
#
Forum » RepRap. How Cool Is This?

Your email:
Your name: