Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Werewolf Ep. 7 - The Monk of VR
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Werewolf Ep. 7 - The Monk of VR

E_net4 14 years ago
    INTRODUCTION

This is 2011, and a group of people made themselves volunteers for testing a brand new VR system. The group is met at the outskirts of the Monkkönen Labs.
    As they went through the automatic doors, a loud computer-generated voice was heard:
    “Hello. Welcome to the Monkkönen Labs. The test chamber is at the second door on your left.”
    - Heck, that voice gives me the creeps. – Anarion said.
    - Who gives? Let’s go! – Murska replied.
    They eagerly went to the new room. It was smaller than they thought. Fixed plastic seats in a row on the left and a computer set with a huge flat screen and a large keyboard on the right. There was also a small cubiculum, sitting on the corner. Its door had a sign: “Entering will cause undesirable consequences.”

A man entered the room through a second door, opposite to the one they just went through. The group soon realized that he was a scientist by looking at his “Monkkönen labs” coat. He briefly introduced himself:
    - Hello. – He said. – I suppose you’re the test subjects I was looking for. I am Hank, Dr. Mock Hank. I am the supervisor of this new project, therefore making sure of every single issue. I am very keen to introduce you to this wonderful system. Here’s how it works… Huh, wait a minute. First I need to check your names, so as to set up your computer ID’s. Here they are:
    () 1- Amarth
    () 2- Murska
    () 3- Narvius
    () 4- MageKing17
    () 5- Zankman
    () 6- Anarion
    () 7- Grim Reaper
    () 8- Idiota
    () 9- Pete

- This Virtual Reality Environment system is a beta version, which means there are some features to be developed. In fact, we haven’t found a name for it yet. Hopefully, we may find one after the test. It is also vital for you to know that although this system has approved itself to be safe I must warn you that coming back to the real world has turned people insane. – Dr. Hank continued.
    A significant part of the group went nervous and scared, although some people were actually very excited.
    - Still, I don’t want you to be afraid right now. It’s time to explain you the workings:
    “As you go to our virtual environment, you will acquire a different personality. Here is the list of patterns that you may turn to:”
    - Individual (Villager)
    - Murderer (Werewolf)
    - Hacker (Seer)
    - Connector (Cupid)
    - Blocker (Guardian)
    - Fighter (Crazy War Veteran)
    - Decoder (Aer)
    “You will quickly obtain and know how to use your perks.”
    Dr. Hank went to the computer and input a few commands on the keyboard: “There, the program is now loading. I must now tell you about your goals: Your objective is to survive as a group. There will be a few murderers that will attempt to take you off the system at night, whereas you’ll be safe in the day time. Remember to use your grey matter if you want to succeed.”
    The computer beeped and the screen flashed with a warning: “Process completed. Awaiting subjects…”
    “It is time! Quick!” – The doctor opened the cubiculum. – “You’ll be entering one at a time! Subject number 1!”
    Amarth entered the small area and the doctor closed the door. Warp sounds were heard from the cubiculum and nothing else was seen but a flash after 5 seconds.
    “Number 2!” – Dr. Hank proceeds.

And later, everyone was now in a revolution that would possibly change the world.
    “Good luck out there. You’ll need it… Hmm, did I miss something?”

You will now receive the PMs, (which have been successfully sent) but make sure you read the whole story first. Murderers, vote on your victim. Blocker, choose a person to protect. Connector, choose two targets this night or there won’t be any link. As for the Hacker, you may choose your target as well. It is night. Next morning will come next Monday the 15th, at night.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    Since E_net4 didn't mention it, I'd like to add for our first-time players that no discussion of the game is to take place at nighttime (or if you're dead). If you have something to say that's not directly part of the game (a question about procedure, or a comment like this one), either talk on IRC or post here in italics.
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    Though at nighttime we can enjoy the roleplaying in this magnificent virtual reality. So, eh, can I alter anything here?

...was that an elephant?

WHAT is that THING doing to that other thing?

Was that Candle Jack? I think it's tim-
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I approve of MageKing17's post.
    "Murska" said:
    Though at nighttime we can enjoy the roleplaying in this magnificent virtual reality. So, eh, can I alter anything here?
    Only in your dreams.
    It is assumed that you're sleeping right now, anyways.

Edit: Attention everyone! I will be unable to go online by Tuesday in the morning, therefore I have changed the beginning of the day to Monday at night (22:00 to 23 GMT).
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    I have changed the beginning of the day to Monday at night (22:00 to 23 GMT).
    Just thought I'd make sure people noticed this, since not having your night action in on time can really mess up a game.
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    If only I /had/ a night action...
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    If only I /had/ a night action...
    And you expect us to believe that? ;P

No game discussion! It's nighttime, so just wait until day.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    We're not so far from that. Now, no more posts please.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    DAY 1

There was nothing more bizarre than this group’s situation. They were all hired for staying in a virtual world with the only goal to survive from an evil group of murderers, which were, in fact, among this very set of testing subjects.

The sun rose. As the people woke up, they had the wish to say it was a beautiful morning. However, it wasn’t. The sun couldn’t be seen from any angle due to the dense bright yellow fog. Even though every single structure was made of either concrete or metal, the air had the inescapable feeling of its bright yellowish weakness. Some structures looked like small personal huts to sleep in, while others had no apparent use, going from pebble-sized to skyscraper-sized metal rocks.

A bright flat structure caught the group’s attention, and so they scurried to what seemed to be a huge circular plate of metal. Over it, there was a big concrete table, which had “The table” printed on every side.

There were other artefacts on The Table, but the group ignored them. What really spooked them was a mysterious cube on the circle. Amarth picked it up in search for clues. The cube’s symbol had horizontal sprites, with a circular bevel in the centre of each side face. He had much to say about it:

Narvius: What is it?
    Amarth: It’s called a Death Cube. And it seems we have our first victim.
    Pete: What do you mean?
    Grim Reaper: It means the murderers have already attacked. Some people who, in fact, are among us right now.
    Amarth: Yes, this cube is generated when someone exits the system. And this one was left at the exact position Zankman was.
    Murska: Zankman... That means he saw The Table before we did. And so did the murderers.
    MageKing17: Indeed. And we should get rid of them as soon as possible.
    Narvius: What about the symbol? Doesn’t that mean something?
    Grim Reaper: It does. Zankman was most probably a Blocker. But what we should be concerned about is saving ourselves.
    Amarth: I suggest we vote on a person to kill by the end of each day. There’s a high chance to succeed if we use our grey matter, as Dr. Hank said.
    Murska: I wouldn’t trust Dr. Hank. How could he take us to an unsafe environment?
    Idiota: Chill. If it was unsafe, he wouldn’t take the risk. Or would he?
    Amarth: Never mind. It’s time to walk around. I’ll put the cube somewhere safe. By the way, a headmaster is a good choice to keep things moderated.
    MageKing17: I agree. Let’s come back here before dusk. If we manage to distinguish it from day time, that is.

Zankman was killed by the murderers. He was a Blocker. The Decoder can now protect a person each night.

You know what to do. Discuss at will and vote on both the Headmaster and Victim. Vote to lynch in RED and for Headmaster in GREEN. Votes must be cast publicly in this thread, PMs are not allowed. The end of the day is next Friday night.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    Damn, on the first turn, no less. Well, could be worse. At least there's the Ae-- er, Decoder.

Well. First thing's first, then. Do we have any nominations for Headmaster?

Also, Zankman, I know it probably sucks to be out of the game right from the start, especially on your first time, but don't feel too bad. It can happen (and has happened, in fact) to anyone.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    It happened to me the first time I played, you're right. Just remember, Zankman. Now that you're dead you must not discuss, but you can stay tuned to the game as you wish.
    #
    Zankman 14 years ago
    Ah... Oh well, sh...stuff happens. Still, it's just... Weird.
    Anyway, a question: Blockers should pick someone to block every night... Is that something i write or just "do"?
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Zankman" said:
    Anyway, a question: Blockers should pick someone to block every night... Is that something i write or just "do"?
    You would PM the person running the game (E_net4, in this case) with the name of the player you wished to protect. Usually (though not always, check with whoever is running the game) you're unable to protect yourself.
    #
    Anarion 14 years ago
    Question is, who do we lynch? At this point it'll just be random guessing.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Zankman" said:
    Yes, you were supposed to send me a PM with someone to protect before the end of the night. PMing me or not, the result would be the same, in this case. And no, I'm not allowing Blockers to protect themselves.
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    Since it'll be random guessing anyway, I randomly guess at Mageking. Someone has to start pointing.

EDIT: Point in red removed.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    Since it'll be random guessing anyway, I randomly guess at Mageking. Someone has to start pointing.
    Fairly certain that italics are for mainly non-game-related / meta-information discussions.

Since you're starting the bandwagon of random accusage, I'll just start up the bandwagon for accusing the first accusor(accuser?).

MURSKA
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    Actually, I'm not starting a bandwagon. It was just a random point, a bandwagon needs at least three points. Also, I thought italics was for non-RP. *shrug* Doesn't really matter I guess.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    Italics are for non-roleplaying, non-game-decision-related discussion. Choosing who you're going to vote for is most certainly a game decision.

Picking who to lynch at random will get us nowhere. Murska, since I don't think you're pointing at me out of malicious intent, I won't counter-vote against you. However, I would remind you that random voting serves the enemy more than us, since they can apply lethal votes to other players under the semblance of having voted "randomly."
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    There is no information for any of us right now so pointing randomly is all we CAN do. And not lynching anyone is basically giving the wolves a free night since we don't gain any information that way either. Unless you want the game to be seer trying to find the wolves before they find him.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    There is no information for any of us right now so pointing randomly is all we CAN do. And not lynching anyone is basically giving the wolves a free night since we don't gain any information that way either.
    Anything can be a source of information. The problem is interpretation of that information. For instance, being the first person to start voting to lynch... though of course that piece of information means very little, since somebody has to be the first. It can mean something, however, if it starts very early on... such as, right after day starts, instead of waiting for discussion. Not that I'm accusing you of anything, since again, the information means very little by itself. I think most likely you're just having perfectly natural restlessness, since it's the first day and we have no information to go by.

Or do we? As it happens, why was Zankman chosen? Because he's new? Because somebody thought his name was silly? Did they throw a dart at a board with everyone's name on it? Why not someone more high-profile? Like Idiota? Or myself? There is, of course, the threat of the Guar-- er, Blocker. If you go for a high-profile target, there's always a chance the Blocker decided to protect them. So was this an attempt to avoid the Blocker's defense? If that's the case, they were extremely lucky to hit the Blocker himself.

"Murska" said:
    Unless you want the game to be seer trying to find the wolves before they find him.
    Well, it's not the safest of strategies, but it has worked in the past, if you may recall.
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Murska" said:
    There is no information for any of us right now so pointing randomly is all we CAN do. And not lynching anyone is basically giving the wolves a free night since we don't gain any information that way either.
    Anything can be a source of information. The problem is interpretation of that information. For instance, being the first person to start voting to lynch... though of course that piece of information means very little, since somebody has to be the first. It can mean something, however, if it starts very early on... such as, right after day starts, instead of waiting for discussion. Not that I'm accusing you of anything, since again, the information means very little by itself. I think most likely you're just having perfectly natural restlessness, since it's the first day and we have no information to go by.

Or do we? As it happens, why was Zankman chosen? Because he's new? Because somebody thought his name was silly? Did they throw a dart at a board with everyone's name on it? Why not someone more high-profile? Like Idiota? Or myself? There is, of course, the threat of the Guar-- er, Blocker. If you go for a high-profile target, there's always a chance the Blocker decided to protect them. So was this an attempt to avoid the Blocker's defense? If that's the case, they were extremely lucky to hit the Blocker himself.

Or he didn't want to hit high-profile targets for he is one of them?
    "MageKing17" said:

"Murska" said:
    Unless you want the game to be seer trying to find the wolves before they find him.
    Well, it's not the safest of strategies, but it has worked in the past, if you may recall.

The problem is that it is not FUN. And that's what I'm here to have.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    Or he didn't want to hit high-profile targets for he is one of them?
    Certainly a possibility. On the other hand, if you were the murderer (or one of the murderers, in this case), wouldn't your first instinct to be to take out the people most likely to be able to figure you out without the help of the seer? I called us high-profile targets because that's what we are... targets. Big giant crosshairs on our foreheads. We just have to hope that either the Blocker guesses right or the Murderers decide to spare us.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    In fact, it's a little suspicious that Mageking started such a discussion after being accused.
    I understand pointing to the fact that random guessing is pointless, but he did a lot more than that.
    I'm don't want to insinuate anything, but at the moment, he and Murska are the only ones talking, and
    they seem to be fighting a little bit. There are not many that have a reason to fight, we are a team after all.

And the only ones that need to mesmerize the others, are, in fact, the wolves.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    In fact, it's a little suspicious that Mageking started such a discussion after being accused.
    So now it's suspicious to respond to an accusation?

"Narvius" said:
    I understand pointing to the fact that random guessing is pointless, but he did a lot more than that.
    I'm don't want to insinuate anything, but at the moment, he and Murska are the only ones talking, and
    they seem to be fighting a little bit. There are not many that have a reason to fight, we are a team after all.
    Correction: Most of us are a team. Two of us are not, and until we know who those two are, nobody can be discounted.

On the other hand, you have a point. Pointless bickering won't solve anything, and won't magically reveal the wolves. It may give us some small points of data, but until we have more information, that data doesn't tell us much by itself.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    So now it's suspicious to respond to an accusation?
    Just for clarification, I don't mean the first reply, but the discussion that ensued.
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    Actual data is points. And we have two. We'd need more, people. Waiting until late in the day is very wolfish, you know.

Also, I probably have the most experience in these games and although I don't really play it the spreadsheet analysis style I'm pretty sure I'm a target aswell.
    #
    Anarion 14 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    It's not suspicious to defend yourself.

"Narvius" said:
    at the moment, he and Murska are the only ones talking, and
    they seem to be fighting a little bit.
    They're not fighting, they're agreeing to disagree.

At this point more discussion is a good thing, it might reveal clues as to peoples identities. There's always the chance someone might let something slip in attempting to defend themselves.
    "Murska" said:

"MageKing17" said:

"Murska" said:

The problem is that it is not FUN. And that's what I'm here to have.
    It would be a rather boring scenario wouldn't it?
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    Should we perhaps start thinking of nominating a mayor?
    #
    Anarion 14 years ago
    Oh yeah. We have that to do too don't we? Since he remembered it, I vote Grim Reaper for headmaster.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    So when it comes to voting (be it lynch or mayor), voting on yourself was prohibited, right?
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Eeeh. Blind voting again. The hit chance is somewhat higher, though...
    #
    Idiota 14 years ago
    My lynch vote goes to Murska for being so damn suspicious. Vote for headmaster goes to MageKing17, as he's a capable player.

I know that the last reason is a reason NOT to vote for MageKing17 as well, but to hell with it. I play this game mostly by the feel I get from certain people in how they do and what they say, and I hope that's enough clarification for you guys.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Voteees.
    Okay. I'll abstain from lynch-voting.
    And my headmaster vote goes to mys... no. Uh. Grim.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    So when it comes to voting (be it lynch or mayor), voting on yourself was prohibited, right?
    Indeed, it is prohibited.
    #
    Forum » Werewolf Ep. 7 - The Monk of VR
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: