Register
Email: Password:
Forum » driftmoon modding ideas!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • driftmoon modding ideas!

shadowfire123 14 years ago
    just thought this topic up so we can come up with some new mod ideas and settings for driftmoon (while we wait of course!!!)
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    It's not a bad idea, but I think it's too soon for this. Why don't we just wait a little more?
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    No, I like the idea. It might give Ville ideas on how to create his editor. Use cases are very valuable in software development.

Reimplement Notrium or Wazzal is an obvious first choice.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    It would obviously help me to hear your ideas, for the reason Amarth said. I will do my best to support modding, even if it means implementing new features. Obviously I will try to only implement features that are useful for the majority of modders, so hearing your ideas and thinking of how it could be implemented does help a lot.

For Notrium and Wazzal, the first thing that comes to mind is the controls that would have to be redefined. Driftmoon will be almost fully mouse controlled, with you even attacking enemies by clicking on them. In Notrium you would obviously need the keyboard+mouse combination. And Wazzal might benefit from full keyboard controls. I think these should definitely be an option, as they open up a lot of new ways to mod the game.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    What I'd like to see is the ability to fiddle with the graphics enough to make the world look isometric (รก la Diablo and the like).
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    Might as well mention ladders. Those shouldnt be as hard as stairs, right?
    #
    Endymion 14 years ago
    Making a roguelike mod could be intresting if possible so different saving options from savepoints to automatic or only highscores would be nice. Also if you can make a random map like in Notrium will it be possible to group areas so that location of a whole group can be random while individual areas within the group are still random without having to "cheat" with teleporters or such?
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Endymion, do you mean like large location forest (randomly on the map) consisting of lesser forest locations that are randomly placed inside it? If so, what do you mean by
    "Endymion" said:
    having to "cheat" with teleporters or such?
    I didn't get it :\
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    If by ladders you mean some sort of teleports that look like ladders, those are easy.

Creating a roguelike might be a bit more difficult. You could create small maps with predefined layout and random creatures, perhaps based on the player's skill. But you couldn't smoothly add them to a single map, they'd have to be separate maps. And that would mean you would have to have a short loading break when you move from the area to another. The saving system could also be an easy one, you could disable menu based saving from mod options, and save using predefined points.
    #
    Quanrian 14 years ago
    It should not be terribly difficult to add some scripts for creating custom control schemes which parse the keyboard. I know it was there before in the editor prior to conversion, and I know I was able to create my own control scheme for Eidolon using scripts in Notrium. An easy way I can think of to interface the control scheme to the player is just have slots that do particular things like move the player, action1, action2, which can later be checked by scripts. It just sees a shame to restrict the control scheme for modders, even if the base game itself primarily uses the mouse.

As for Notrium as a mod, well considering Driftmoon started as Notrium 2, it's not only possible, I've seen it early builds of it. I would however discourage people against simply recreating Notrium. There is plenty that was never done with the Notrium modding community that will be much easier to do using Driftmoon's built in editor. Seems like a Robinson Crusoe mod is almost inevitable, along with something involving zombies. I remember hearing ZZT brought up, and even something as broad as that is entirely possible given enough effort.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    I remember hearing ZZT brought up, and even something as broad as that is entirely possible given enough effort.
    Why would anyone want to make ZZT in Driftmoon? The comparison was to the way the fully-featured editor was included in the shareware version, like will be the case with Driftmoon. I wouldn't be surprised to see ZZT (or MegaZeux) worlds re-created in Driftmoon, but not ZZT itself.

Although it might be a hilarious proof-of-concept to turn a high-end engine like Driftmoon into an ascii-and-PC-speaker-based game like ZZT.
    #
    mexis8 14 years ago
    I have one question? will driftmoon ever be moddable when it's released next year? lol im clueless

Edit: actually i have to say, Download a game called *Stranded 2* it's a survival strategy game, what would be a nice feature in driftmoon is the abillity to gather sticks and stones and create a camp fire, thats a nice feature, or quite possible the chance to create your own structure with supplies e.g *(Stones + mud = brick?) just some ideas that poped into my head before, i understand how in notrium you have to eat which is a realistic feature, but how about thirst? or make is a multiple so that when you drink water if fills your hunger level? just some ideas

Edit: the reason why i suggested stranded 2, is because it has some building features like for example *( creating camp fires, killing animals for their hides and using their hides to create a tent,)* simple ideas, what if you could maybe cook your food? and it takes time? now thats a thought!

Edit: ville? i have a question? what other creatures are their besides cats and skeletons? why not for a idea create jungle creatures? monkeys,birds and smaller animals like rabbits and frogs? that is if their are area with jungle location and it is a large area, im asking alot of question because im excited about driftmoon, and asking question is my hobby, kind of..

And perhaps after killing those creatures their carcus can be cooked over a fire to supplie your hunger,

*( Monkeys = meduim sized meat.
    *( Birds = small meat, feathers.
    *( rabbits = small meat.
    *( frogs = tiny meat.

Now if your hunger level reach's 100%
    *( tiny meat = 10% hunger fill
    *( small meat = 15% hunger fill
    *( medium meat = 25% hunger fill
    *( larg meat = 35% hunderfill

Now items from those creatures
    *( hide, usable to create leather, or clothing warmth.
    *( feathers, usable for arrows.
    *( claws, usable to create spear tips ( 3 tiped spear head ).
    *( teeth , from large animals like panthers/cats, Teeth im not sure, quite possible could be used to be thrown from a slingshot.

Now items in mind from my own thought the be combined into creating other objects.
    *( small fire = 5 sticks 3 stones reduction to about 10% cold,
    *( medium fire = 8 sticks 5 stones reduction to about 25% cold,
    *( large fire = 13 sticks 8 stones reduction to about 40% cold,
    *( 5 animal hides + 10 sticks = medium tent ( just a thought )

Well thats my basic ideas, i have so many more, but i don't want to make this a complicated.

Edit: ugh, don't mean to continue but i have no choice.
    To create items.
    *( 1 stick + 1 iron bar ( i'll talk about matierals later ) and perhaps rope or Vines from trees = axe
    *( 1 stick + 2 stones + rope/vine = pickaxe
    *( 1 iron bar + 2 stones + 1 wooden pole + 2 rope/vine = shovel
    *( 1 iron bar + wooden chunk ( wooden chunk could be made from a mistake when cutting trees ) + rope/vine = blunt machete
    *( blunt machete + 1 stone = sharpened machete ( stones can be used to sharpen Knifes or swords depending on the rock ( i'll talk about that later )

Ight now if their is going to be Levels involved into driftmoon e.g ( if you level up you get experience points which can be used to upgrade your states)
    then you could have a woodcutting Status which can be leveled depending on how much experiece points you get, then if it's a low level you can make mistakes like choping accidental chunks of wood out of trees, or your axes breaking.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.filefront.com/15035607/Sounds%20for%20driftwood%20maybe..7z">http://www.filefront.com/15035607/Sound ... 0maybe..7z</a><!-- m -->

Up their is a link to download some sound files for driftmoon, my idea lawl
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Thanks for those ideas mexis8. I'm probably not going for the same survival type of gameplay we had in Notrium, rather I'm going for a more traditional RPG style. I'm not even sure how the food should work, as I don't want it to heal the player, and I don't want hunger to damage the player.

Also I probably won't include building items from raw parts. There may be some special items you can build from some very rare parts though. If you haven't tried the Driftmoon preview yet, you might want to see it to get an idea of the game.
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    Hunger could make you slower, and lower your strength? Obscure vision?
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Hunger could disable sleeping (which obviously would be the obligatory stationary heal-all), and dragging stuff - it doesn't need to make sense. Just something that will be enough motivation to keep feeding the guy.
    #
    mexis8 14 years ago
    i understand , justing sharing thoughts with others to express my feelings for this game,

But im sure food won't heal you? just fill you hunger level? and how would it make the person slower?

Edit: Villi i need to ask? can their still be the possibility of water? like a stream of water that you could collect to drink from?
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    In my opinion eating food has to be fun, it should be something like: great, now my character is hungry again! At least in this kind of game. It's different in Notrium where the point was to survive, you were very happy about finding food. But in Driftmoon not eating doesn't kill you, and to me it feels like eating is just there to annoy me. So this is something I'm still thinking about - I could very easily leave eating/drinking out altogether.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    What if you can make eating period-rewarding? What I mean is a system of, uh, ok, I'll pseudocode.
    1) When char gets hungry, he says that/bar comes to an end etc. (That's what Driftmoon has already, partially... the bar would still be welcome)
    2) The player can (and also can NOT) eat smth. If he doesn't, he kinda just ignores the emtpy bar and goes on.
    3) Each time the player eats something, some of his traits rise. A trait is not only a stat. It may be pretty obscure, e.g. eating meat may surprisingly increase regeneration, eating mushrooms can dim some vision but bestow smth also great and so on.
    4) [Optional] You may want the effect last for some time that is shorter than the bar to go empty... and allow the player to eat (and thus gain some nice effects) only when the bar is empty.
    5) [Optional] And the very optional idea is, if you will, like this. The longer the term player ate nothing, the more he/she can eat at once and/or the shorter is the "recharge" time for new "eating session"

Ponder that one for a sec.
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    5) [Optional] And the very optional idea is, if you will, like this. The longer the term player ate nothing, the more he/she can eat at once and/or the shorter is the "recharge" time for new "eating session"

The problem with that would be the player character going on a starvation strike of sorts, and them munch on a truckload of food right before taking on a boss.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Well, you want it to be fun, you may want it to help player somehow. Giving it some penalties may balance it out, but a simple threshold (not more than N = stomach theoretical capability) may work out just neat.
    Then again, I called it very optional for a reason
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    So this is something I'm still thinking about - I could very easily leave eating/drinking out altogether.
    Don't forget the booze!

When it comes to modding, we should be able to change the HUD to suit our needs. A Notrium mod in Driftmoon would require a food bar, for example. Also, I didn't like the old bar method from Notrium scripting, and I hope you intend to change that.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Food could be non-essential (i.e. your character never gets hungry) but give temporary or permanent bonuses. It's done in a lot of RPGs. Morrowind (and presumably the other TES games too) worked this out pretty far, with alchemy etc to make potions out of food items.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Use of food.
    1) Roguelikes. Forces you to keep going.
    2) Open World. As, well, nothing. Heal or buffs, probably.
    3) Hack'n'Slash. 1) (fe. Darkstone) & 2) + morphing your pet (in Torchlight) :3
    4) Others (I'm, of course, referring to "other RPG subgenres" here). 2) + quest items.

So, pretty limited. There must be something no one came up with yet. :3

Probably just slash food and give us shrooms.
    It would probably hilarious to find a red mushroom and turn into an italian plumber...
    ...well, as an easter egg, at least.
    But things like size change (even useful, for getting secrets -> feathers behind cracked walls, which have hidden rooms behind, hidden as in not visible until entered, which you can only enter midgetized, squeezing through the cracks), bullet-time-izers and other stock effects could probably do.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    Now that you reminded me of Eternal Lands, food could indeed be used for manufacturing items, alchemy, potions, etc.
    Also, having a negative food meter could halt health and mana regeneration. (though there seems to be none in Driftmoon at this time )
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    I think that orange portion of the health bar regenerates? I think?
    #
    mexis8 14 years ago
    Wouldn't it be a better idea if food is not in the game so much? that way when you come across some raw meat for the first time, obviously their going to see what it does,

My first reaction would be to eat it to heal me, so it would be a good idea to have food *Not so much* placed in the game, and that way their isn't going to be complaints,

Just a tiny little bit of health healed, infact theirs this game called dues ex invisible war, which has the same propertys, food heals a small amount of health.

Ever heard of a game called *Two Worlds?* and i quote * food could indeed be used for manufacturing item. alchemy* from e_net4, In two worlds you litterly kill animals for their meat and you can boil them in a pot to create a potions depending on the animal.

except i think the whole alchemy idea is going to far because in two worlds their was only one choice, to boil it lol.

and i do agree food maybe shouldn't need to heal.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    So, you say food may heal, but then you say it shouldn't.
    Also the whole alchemy idea - is going too far? So what do we do, huh?
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I saym we keep the alchemy and potion making as a possibility. And I agree with one thing: There should be less food in the game.

And what does the orange bar do, anyway?
    #
    mexis8 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    So, you say food may heal, but then you say it shouldn't.
    Also the whole alchemy idea - is going too far? So what do we do, huh?

make food rare, and simple, Im trying my best to agree with villie because he has most of the good ideas, and i don't want to make a bad impression towards him, im a modder venom, not a doctor,

As i've said before, Food should heal, only the smallest amount, and it should only be found SOMEtimes.

Otherwise, having a whole map stuffed full of raw meat and canned food, is just pointless. don't you agree villi? and venom?

Edit: i think alchemy will destroy the game, because not that many people are interesting into boiling a carcus for a potion, it should me alot more complicated then that. Raw matierals such as plants, and other items, ( only if their is going to be alchemy ) have a nice night. g'day.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Alchemy: I have too few info to say is it good or bad for DM. Is there encumrance? Maximum encumbrance? Not as I noticed. So. Is there inventory size limitations? Like that what we see on screen and not a piece more? Well, if there are some straightforward limitations, I guess we can balance it out one day. I mean, I remember the whole alchemy thing in Morrowind and what not, it required carrying all that stuff (or inventory management, anyway), also required to find those alembic, and all... So you had a choice.
    #
    mexis8 14 years ago
    To be honest, whatever you just said before has completly nothing to do with the subject of if food should be allowed, and if it heals or not. the suggestion of alchemy seems a little to much.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    "mexis8" said:
    To be honest, whatever you just said before has completly nothing to do with the subject of if food should be allowed, and if it heals or not.
    Let's not throw off any aspects of it, shall we? It has everyting to do with the subject of if food should be allowed. And healing is not the only effect that may be acquired through it.
    "mexis8" said:
    the suggestion of alchemy seems a little to much.
    Too much to code for futile result? Perhaps.
    #
    mexis8 14 years ago
    What you said a post before had abosolutly nothing to do with the subject of food healing the player, i didn't once hear you correctly say anything about food nore it healing or anyother affects, your just making this more complicated for yourself, as i can see you was talking about alchemy from futher posts back, i was also talking about food healing slight ammounts of health while also COULD be used for something els, and i quote "I'm probably not going for the same survival type of gameplay we had in Notrium, rather I'm going for a more traditional RPG style." from villie, and i also quote " I could very easily leave eating/drinking out altogether" from villie, Although in some ways what villie has said and i have said completly contridicts what i've been talking about, but And let me quote again "I'm not even sure how the food should work, as I don't want it to heal the player, and I don't want hunger to damage the player." either way venom, your subject was clearly on alchemy while i was talking about the possibillity *IF* it could be a resource for small amounts of healing. i myself do agree in somewhat some manners, that food shouldn't fill your hunger, nore should you starve to death.

I was only stating the fact THAT seeing how villie doesn't know what to do with food, i suggested their being A complete less ammount of food, and that when you do find food it could be a resource of Small healing matters, But He also stated he doesn't what it healing nore filling a hunger bar, If you have anything to say about This arguement please go ahead, because you'll only be making me repeat myself. >:l
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Now what I see here is a complete misunderstanding. I'm not going to prolong it any further. If Ville has some vision of this matter, WHAT and HOW it should be done, then he'll just code it in the game. I was making some proposals, since I'm missing #30 from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theinspiracy.com/Current%20Rules%20Master%20List.htm">http://www.theinspiracy.com/Current%20R ... 20List.htm</a><!-- m -->. You don't like them, so well, many men many minds.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas fellas!
    -I'm probably going to remove the player getting hungry and complaining about it.
    -Make it possible for the player to eat one item of food/potion every minute or so.
    -Food/potion will have some sort of a beneficial effect. I'll likely make the foods rare, maybe add herbs or something that could have funky special effects.

As for the interface modding, I haven't given it much thought yet. It was badly done in Notrium I agree, and should be done in a much more general way. Specifically I'd want to be able to have meters and buttons defined by modders, so it wouldn't any longer just be skinning.
    #
    Forum » driftmoon modding ideas!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: