Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Saving problem

Saving problem

Finalguard 14 years ago
I can't save my game. When I choose save game from the menu, it shows the files, but it won't save.

Can anyone help?

Something else: everytime I quit the game, I get the message, "Notrium.exe has stopped working, windows is searching for a solution", or something like that. I'm using vista, if that's important.
#
E_net4 14 years ago
In order to save with the latest version, you have to run the program as an administrator. Right-click on Notrium and choose Run as Administrator.
#
Finalguard 14 years ago
IT WORKED!

Thanks for the help!
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Finalguard" said:
I'm using vista, if that's important.
Indeed it is. File access to the Program Files folder is thrown through a layer of indirection in an attempt to limit the harm one can do to one's computer, directly or indirectly. If you want to avoid running as administrator all the time, you can either install to a different folder (C:\Games\ is fairly popular) or change the save game directory to be in, for example, My Documents. That second option only works if the game lets you change that sort of thing.
#
Venom31 14 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
...C:\Games\ is fairly popular...
Whoever installs games on the partition where your system is, anyways...
#
Narvius 14 years ago
That's probably most of all computer users.
You know, there're not many people who care about stuff like that :>
#
E_net4 14 years ago
"Narvius" said:
You know, there're not many people who care about stuff like that :>
This, plus that not anyone feels like managing partitions just for application software. Anyway, we have the fix to not being able to save the game in Windows Vista / 7.
#
Venom31 14 years ago
"Narvius" said:
Jeez!
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Venom31" said:
"Narvius" said:
Jeez!
Even disregarding the fact that most computer users are idiots, it may surprise you to learn that some people don't like partitioning the hell out of their drives.
#
Vacuus 14 years ago
It's a waste, anyway. There is no noticeable increase in speed on modern systems with modern games by using multiple partitions in Windows. If anything it'll be marginally slower. Great for backups if you care about backing up every damnable save.

Not sure why it wouldn't save, generally 'VirtualStore' will just write to the local profile in your AppData folder and emulate a Program Files folder there, the layer is meant to be entirely transparent and applications are meant to have access to those files... Strange that it wouldn't be working.
#
Finalguard 14 years ago
Ugh. First morrowind, then la mulana, and now notrium...

Vista hates all the games I like.
#
Venom31 14 years ago
"Finalguard" said:
So then I hate Vista.

"Vacuus" said:
There is no noticeable increase in speed on modern systems with modern games by using multiple partitions in Windows. If anything it'll be marginally slower. Great for backups if you care about backing up every damnable save.
It's not about any saves or performance... nor backup... nor... I don't know. There are many conviniences beyond that, and I don't see anything so silly or idiotic about that.
#
Pete 14 years ago
"Finalguard" said:
Ugh. First morrowind, then la mulana, and now notrium...

And that right there is why I still use XP. One day, a game I want to play will force me to switch to sevens, but until then I will resist!
#
E_net4 14 years ago
"Venom31" said:
It's not about any saves or performance... nor backup... nor... I don't know. There are many conviniences beyond that, and I don't see anything so silly or idiotic about that.
Well I find it inconvenient and slightly time-wasting. A real reason for partitioning would be having multiple operative systems.

And changing to Windows 7 isn't so bad. You still get those warnings when trying to run something, but heh.
#
Vacuus 14 years ago
"Venom31" said:
"Finalguard" said:
So then I hate Vista.

"Vacuus" said:
There is no noticeable increase in speed on modern systems with modern games by using multiple partitions in Windows. If anything it'll be marginally slower. Great for backups if you care about backing up every damnable save.

Fair enough, I generally found it a pain to bother with multiple partitions; Prevented me from distro hopping too much (one less primary partition yada yada) and also annoying considering I had a very average size HDD at the time that made restricting the amount of available space on either annoying. Granted that was quite a while ago, although apart from ME2 I haven't played a new commercial game in over a year.

Windows 7 is a step up from vista undoubtedly, a lot of older games actually work now instead of crashing for no apparent reason (Europa 1400 comes to mind...). Those UAC warnings can still be turned off too
#
Anonymous1157 14 years ago
The other reason for using multiple partitions if you only have one HDD is being able to readily reinstall your OS without worrying about rescuing information from My Documents/usr before reformatting. This obviously implies that any catastrophic failure that forces a reinstall does not affect whatever's in the other partition. The only problem I've had with it is that I can't delete a directory through the directory mount, but since I don't use Explorer, I just changed all of my links point to the other partition and never had to worry about it again.
#
Venom31 14 years ago
Our posts seem to be pulled far offtopic. Mostly, it's all about saving, too - saving any data, that is... but far beyond creator's intent
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Vacuus" said:
Windows 7 is a step up from vista undoubtedly, a lot of older games actually work now instead of crashing for no apparent reason (Europa 1400 comes to mind...).
You can say that again. My sister chose Windows 7 for her new PC, and it's running over-ten-year-old games without any problems whatsoever (and keep in mind this is a 64-bit operating system, running games that even XP had problems with!).
#
Amarth 14 years ago
Virtualization hardware support has gone way up in recent years. Windows 7 makes full use of it to run older programs and games.

Interesting new technology, that.
#
ville 14 years ago
I'm going to change Notrium to save to user profile. That should fix saving for Vista and 7.
#
gollum 13 years ago
I was wondering if there has been a fix to this problem where the game will not save?
I have windows 7. I just downloaded the latest version of notrium, but am unable to save as a standard user.
Running as an administrator works, but Is not feasible for my son.
thank you for any ideas.
#
Amarth 13 years ago
I have not tested this, but it might be possible to copy the Notrium folder from Program Files (where it's write protected) to something like your Documents folder or your Desktop, where a non-administrator user can write to it and thus save.
#
Forum » Saving problem

Your email:
Your name: