Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31

TNN17 12 years ago
    Bug has been found and it was a doozy.

Rather than having water modify the temperature bar by X, I had the actual effect 18 - "Increase Temperature" by X.

This meant that every creature in an area that was in water would cause the player to lose temperature. This explains your hypothermia issues and my severe -100 degree temperature drops. I've corrected this to use Effect 4 instead, and the problem has been resolved.

And I only had to remove half of everything to get to it.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    Not all but only the new ones. If you have some update history, of course. If you do, just use some difference-finder program (e.g. WinDiff) to see what's changed and what's new. I could look through some data after I end my first priority tomorrow.

As far as I understand, the item of kind "bullets" (pebbles, ether, etc.) can spawn in different quantities. If its quantity is set as random number in bar X [A; B] then the theorem in question won't apply. If it is, however, of kind
    1) create "bullet" with chance X percent
    2) repeat 1) until chance "no spawn"
    then it does.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    As far as I understand, the item of kind "bullets" (pebbles, ether, etc.) can spawn in different quantities. If its quantity is set as random number in bar X [A; B] then the theorem in question won't apply. If it is, however, of kind
    1) create "bullet" with chance X percent
    2) repeat 1) until chance "no spawn"
    then it does.

Ahhh, I get you. That won't be coming up this version (bullets will spawn in piles of 50), but this would probably best be handled with a second spawn creature.

Start Health = 20.
    Weapon Wield condition - Health = 20 - It fires once then stops.
    1: Set Quantum 1-10 (weapon), Set Health 1-5 (also weapon).
    Timed - 1ms: IF Quantum = 10 and Health > 1 THEN -2 Health. Drop 1 Bullet Magazine within 0 pixels. Maximum stack 3.
    Timed - 1ms: IF Quantum < 10 and Quantum > 5 and Health > 1 THEN -1 Health. Drop 1 Bullet Clip within 0 pixels. Maximum stack 5.
    Timed - 1ms: IF Quantum <5 and Health > 1 THEN -5 Health. Drop 20 Bullets within 0 pixels. Maximum stack 20.

Less than 20 bullets wouldn't be worth the effort of spawning but if you wanted to make more pitiful drops, subdivide accordingly.

In effect, there's a 10% chance of 100-300 bullets dropping. A 40% chance of 20-100 bullets dropping, and a 50% chance of 20 bullets dropping.

I believe (I claim no particular mathematical brilliance) that the overall average number of bullets to come out of this formula as-is = 52 bullets. Fairly close to the standardised block of 50 that happens now.

0.2 is completed and ready for release.

Please note in advance that many items remain unimplemented:
    Grenades,
    Advanced laser weaponry,
    Nozzle-based weapons (blowtorch and up),
    Electrical weaponry,
    Advanced arrow-types,
    Solar tech.
    Plasma weaponry.
    Launcher.
    Thermal regulators (there is one in the game for a specific purpose, it doesn't even have a graphic though, so keep your eyes peeled)
    Warp Tech
    Gravity Tech
    Force weaponry.
    Sonic Weaponry
    Replication tech
    Turrets
    Shelters and barricades
    Snipers and railguns
    Energy swords

Implemented and ready for use:

Bows.
    Laser pistol.
    Bullet weapons (all).
    Options Menu
    Health It! (Charge it and Eat It are unimplemented and glitched respectively, eating is unimportant enough that I'm not overly bothered about it).
    Bows and arrows.
    Battery extension and creation
    Unique Captain weapons and gear. Ingenue everything.
    Personal Forcefield, a +5 armour bonus equip.
    Cooking and arson.
    Item scanners
    Accuracy bonuses (there are five dynamic accuracy bonuses, three for the android, two for the human).
    Android upgrades - not including his cutting torch advances.
    And last but not least, the pistol reloading system.

Oh, and a bunch of bug fixes and under-the-hood scripting that nobody will care about but me.

A download link will be put up sometime tomorrow, since I have work and it's almost 3 a.m. now.
    #
    Nocture17 12 years ago
    Version 0.2 is now ready and can be found here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hosting.projectsensible.com/FM-0.2.rar">http://hosting.projectsensible.com/FM-0.2.rar</a><!-- m -->

As ever, please feel free to let me know of any bugs, comments, and of course, requests for 0.3.

Known issues:

Jiggling the safety switch sometimes causes it to stick and sulk. I believe that one energy weapon gives the wrong safety switch information as well. The sticking, as far as I can tell, appears to be an issue with the dual inventory. Not jiggling it should avoid any problems.
    Multiple fires cause a bit of a slowdown - I need to check to see if I can optimise that.
    #
    bwansy 12 years ago
    Looks like I've come back just in time for a new mod! As a long-time fan of the WE mod, I'd love to test it out. The problem is that I get killed by aliens in 30 seconds every time I start a game, so I couldn't get to try any items at all. Perhaps I'm all rusty after leaving for years? XD
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    "bwansy" said:
    Looks like I've come back just in time for a new mod! As a long-time fan of the WE mod, I'd love to test it out. The problem is that I get killed by aliens in 30 seconds every time I start a game, so I couldn't get to try any items at all. Perhaps I'm all rusty after leaving for years? XD

Are you playing as the Captain or the Android?
    Are you getting unlucky and a reaper's spawning right off?
    Are you exploring each area completely right away, or moving from area to area picking up any goodies you see?
    Are you standing and fighting or engaging in a fighting retreat?
    Are you remembering to press "H" to heal?

A few tips:

You spawn there and you spawn next to a knife, which should be enough to handle Blues, especially if you get lucky with an early scrap metal and upgrade it. Try and time your hits, melee weapons deal more damage hitting head on precisely than just holding the fire button, and you won't tire yourself out as much.

Bear in mind every time an alien swings at you it alerts all other nearby aliens to attack as well. It's potentially better to run from a single alien without fighting it than it is to attack and alert a swarm. I may change this to exclude "small" aliens allowing for safer hunting.

You can't escape from Adult Blue or Reaper aliens, back away and try to outpace their damage.

Brown aliens will damage you if you try and take them in melee, so avoid them and stick to the small browns until you have a decent weapon.

A pebble shotgun works best at knockback, a pistol deals probably the most damage per shot, whilst the laser is perfectly accurate and can start fires. Don't underestimate how useful blades are however.

Water works great against aliens - dive into the water with a swarm following you and they'll have to swim after you, letting you knock them back whilst backing away, you'll be able to tear through the more dangerous Big Blues and Reapers with a minimum of pain, and it'll keep you from heatstroke while you're swinging.

But yeah, you might also want to practice on Default or W/E for a little bit, I was terrible when I started up back in March, now I can take out full maps with the knife.

Edit: Just discovered that mushroom soup is glitched, it doesn't consume itself on use as it should do. If you want to take advantage of that fact, you will have infinite food and water from it. Bear in mind however that it cannot be consumed or broken, I'd suggest against making more than one.
    #
    bwansy 12 years ago
    Thanks for the advice, Yeah, I have forgotten almost every basic skill but I'm slowly recalling them. I've now acquired the personal armour as well as the claw blade, which are immensely useful. I'm still figuring out what to do with the replicator unit and mac-rail.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    "bwansy" said:
    Thanks for the advice, Yeah, I have forgotten almost every basic skill but I'm slowly recalling them. I've now acquired the personal armour as well as the claw blade, which are immensely useful. I'm still figuring out what to do with the replicator unit and mac-rail.

Replicator Unit is currently not implemented in this version. There may be a combination or two, but nothing will function.
    The Mag-Rail has two functions currently - boosting your maximum battery and combining to make batteries - the second one might not be important right now since I included about twenty. Later it will have a more violent, complete combination with something else, but I left that out this version.

I recall I included another free weapon in a forest, as well as the game's only guaranteed fuel cell, and there are at least four other locations - one per map - with guaranteed tech items.
    #
    Nocture17 12 years ago
    Not much interest in 0.2 I see. I assume people are busy looking over the exciting new Driftmoon developments, or there just aren't enough bugs in this version to get excited about - as if.

Regardless, on to version 0.3. In lieu of any feedback or requests, here's the current plans:

- Finish laser weaponry
    -The pulse laser, as the name rather implies will be a single-pulse firing weapon similar to the original laser pistol rather than the continuous beam of the default laser.
    -The laser shotgun will use shorter-range continuous beams to form a cone of decimation.
    - Flame Weapons
    - This includes flaming arrows from the bow (and goes in tandem with a few bug-fixes for the bow I've already made since 0.2).
    - The blowtorch family (and related android torch upgrade), as well as extinguishers so you can pretend to be Smokey the bear.
    - Alien behavioural modification (Done) - I've removed swarming behaviours from reapers, small blue and small brown aliens, adult aliens (especially browns) will still attract other nearby aliens with their attacks.
    - Electrical Weaponry
    - The two tase-weapons are easy enough to implement, and the stun laser will be readily convertible into the regular laser pistol with just a diode.
    - The Warp Gun will come under this as well.
    - Solar Technology
    - Solar Panels have been graphicked. When equipped (they will take up the utility spot) they will restore energy between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. (certain areas such as "indoors" will disable them entirely, as will being in the shade). You will need a coupling to make it work, two couplings and something else may pay off however.
    - Finish pistols.
    - The Railgun and the Sniper Pistol will both be added. The Sniper Pistol will not deal hyper-damage off the bat, but it will add triple your accuracy stat as bonus damage and add to accuracy bonus itself.
    - Launcher weapon.
    - Like the bows, this will be a multiple ammunition super shotgun - it will have explosive shells, actual shotgun shells and dragons-breath flaming bullets.
    - Grenade.
    - The grenade will throw a set distance (unless it bounces off something), then explode damaging everything and everyone nearby. Smart-missile it is not, but then such missiles are unlikely to exist in a non-vehicular format.
    - Charge/Snack It protocols will be introduced/fixed, or potentially removed in the case of snack-it, since eating rarely came up.
    - I'll also be dropping the frequency of toxic mushrooms.
    - Bullet/Pebbles variable quantity spawner.
    - As discussed above, this will be a 20-300 quantity drop for bullets, probably a 10-50 drop for pebbles.
    - Difficult-based spawn quantities
    - Easy mode will reduce the total aliens per region to 5. The starting area will begin with several
    - Add props.
    - Several species of tree.
    - Rocks.
    - Useless small plants and vegetable masses.
    - Exciting stuff!... no, sorry, just rocks and plant-life. Maybe a crater or two. This will replace the temporary

Your Choice:

- Which Notrium Default Area would you like to see implemented in its FM format first?

Ship Graveyard
    - FM Equivalent: A graveyard of destroyed ships, including the remains of the Var' Equinallin. Like many graveyards, it's haunted. Unlike many graveyards, it's full of high technology and non-zombie related danger.
    The Hive
    - FM Equivalent: A highly active volcanic region, home to an as yet unencountered species of alien. The sky rains fire, the red hot ashes on the ground will fry you, and there are few, if any, signs of plant-life or water in the region, making survival difficult.
    The Desert
    - FM Equivalent: A large sandy hellhole full of another new species of alien. Sandstorms will tear your skin, plantlife is rare, and robots will do their best to convert you into your compoment molecules. Common features: Sand, Rocks, and the occassional tree. There may or may not be a fortress of doom this version.
    Eden
    - FM Equivalent: A verdant forest full of various species of plant. Murderous, man-eating plants. There will not yet be an altar or any such shenanigans, just an entire tiered race of murderous-plants.
    Swamp
    - FM Equivalent: Nasty swamp full of bugs, poisonous aliens and.... well, swamp mainly.
    Mining Fields
    - FM Equivalent: Marine encampments and crystal ore. There may or may not be a fortress base in this version.
    Other
    - If you have an idea for an area, lemme know. Did you like the cave from FM? Want a beach area? Rivers? Lakes?
    Forget Areas. Make Turrets Work.
    - FM Turrets: Energy or ammo dependent automated defence systems. I'm hoping for them to be deactivable, scavengeable (with tools), and repairable (with repair units or tools).
    Forget Areas. Add *race* to the game!
    - Psionic, Alien Stowaway, Alien Scavenger, Extropian, Werivar, another idea? Let me know.

Also your choice:

How do you like the area sizes in 0.2? Would you prefer them to be bigger? Smaller? Leave it the same?
    Enemy quantities - same question.
    Any problems with game balance/damage - let me know.
    Do you want Dire aliens to be introduced?
    How about endings? I have the plans to repair a wrecked ship or survive long enough on Notrium to survive everything the planet can throw at you.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    Its been kind of a busy... forever, so I didnt really get around to trying this yet. That, however, will not stop me from giving you a DIRECT ORDER to implement the SHIP GRAVEYARD.
    #
    Nocture17 12 years ago
    "Pete" said:
    Its been kind of a busy... forever, so I didnt really get around to trying this yet. That, however, will not stop me from giving you a DIRECT ORDER to implement the SHIP GRAVEYARD.

Duly noted, I'll add your orders to the poll I set up when I'm back on my TNN17 account. You'll get two options mind you, I can probably fit two of the "your choice" aspects into the next version in a timely manner.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "Nocture17" said:
    Not much interest in 0.2 I see. I assume people are busy looking over the exciting new Driftmoon developments, or there just aren't enough bugs in this version to get excited about - as if.
    Testing still in todo list

"Nocture17" said:
    - Psionic, Alien Stowaway, Alien Scavenger, Extropian, Werivar, ...
    Both male and female aliens were stowaways - maybe have some other name for female? Just a thought.

I think I'll try out 0.2 right now to learn more about Finnish laser weaponry.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    Yeah, I forgot to account for "releasing it on a weekday" as well. I knew I was hoping for too much with the "no bugs" thing.

Remember everybody that you're very welcome to cheat and add anything that interests you in the map editor to test it out, I don't expect you to make one of everything fairly in the name of testing.

Oh yes! One more thing for your input:

Food and Drink
    - What are your opinions on how fast they decrease/how much food the foodstuffs give you? I want them to be necessary but not murderous in requirements. Same with android energy, I want each character to be able to survive roughly a day without any food at all, but also have it so that you can't just bunker up with "ten small blue aliens" and just take a day off, it's going to be tricky to balance those two, so I'm really interested in your feedback on this.

Hm. Seems my previous poll is making the poll glitch.

Not to worry, it seems like it's just doubling results over, just pick the right ones and I'll sort it out.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    So, the first more-than-one-minute test is done, and I'm going to ask... What's that about food? I starved o_O. Once I let the meter fall down below some point (don't recall what exactly) - the alien horde was chasing me, - no food accounted in whatsoever. Also, where's that info screen, or is it not in yet?

Also, the water-fighting works, but that looks silly - fighting in the water is really far more tiresome than the one on solid ground.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    Info screen - Did you press O?
    Food - That's definitely weird. You say you lost all your food instantly? Or you just couldn't find enough/any food?

I never said fighting in water wasn't silly, just practical. Range beats melee, and making it harder for people to move hurts those using melee more.

Fire Arrows implemented - they're now one of my favourite weapons. Too bad they don't/can't account for water.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    Info screen - Did you press O?
    Of course I didn't
    About food - I couldn't recover it by eating stuff, so eventually, starvation point was hit. Also, for the first time I saw arrrged aliens (AI-constant-attack glitch).
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    It's not so much a glitch as a feature.
    The aliens gather so much anger from their attacks that they aggro any nearby aliens, who also attack, aggroing more and more until they murder you horribly.

If you can get a savefile with your consumption problem repeated on it and host it I'd be interested in taking a look. Worst case, try and get a red, green and blue herb, two cannisters of hot water, and combining everything, then consuming what's left. I know that eating doesn't give huge amounts of food, but I was perfectly able to keep it maxed.
    #
    Kario 12 years ago
    I'm feel kind of stupid about this question, but do any of you chaps remember how to implement a mod into notrium as i have forgot and am in need of a refresher ops: .
    #
    bwansy 12 years ago
    I'd like to see a starting area with a "safe house" first, just like in the original one. You don't have to start inside the house, but it would be god to have some shelter until you're strong enough to wander around. It should also have the items to make the most basic of the weapons (most likely the bow?). I remember playing WE when I had to cross multiple alien-infested maps just to get the laser diode or the particle accelerator.

As for races, I have a crazy idea of a robotic equivalent of psionic, a small service bot on the shuttle, which has its own unique set of upgradable modules (perhaps by using electricity the way scavenger uses fat?). One of its end-game situations would be transforming itself into a spaceship and leave the planet.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    "Kario" said:
    I'm feel kind of stupid about this question, but do any of you chaps remember how to implement a mod into notrium as i have forgot and am in need of a refresher ops: .

No problem - uninstalling the RAR file into your Notrium folder should handle everything automatically, but if you're having trouble, make sure that data/FM is in your notrium/data folder, your textures/fm in your notrium/textures folder, and your sounds in the /sounds folder.

At that point start a new game then click the "Default" word, it'll change over to FM.

"bwansy" said:
    I'd like to see a starting area with a "safe house" first, just like in the original one. You don't have to start inside the house, but it would be god to have some shelter until you're strong enough to wander around. It should also have the items to make the most basic of the weapons (most likely the bow?). I remember playing WE when I had to cross multiple alien-infested maps just to get the laser diode or the particle accelerator.
    As for races, I have a crazy idea of a robotic equivalent of psionic, a small service bot on the shuttle, which has its own unique set of upgradable modules (perhaps by using electricity the way scavenger uses fat?). One of its end-game situations would be transforming itself into a spaceship and leave the planet.

I rather like the idea of a technological evolver (roaming around consuming metal, circuits and energy sources to advance? Perhaps like E.V.O on the SNES?), if you can flesh out the idea some (feel free to use the Notrium File Viewer stickied in this forum to glance over the items in the game already for ideas) I'd be interested in working on it.

Bear in mind I don't want to just do "Like the Scavenger/Psionic/Android but 'X'" though, having two characters that evolve identically, except one's an alien and one's a robot doesn't expand the game as much a well thought out character archetype would.

Right now planned there's:

Captain - Human tech specialist - Doesn't advance at all himself.
    Android - Energy dependent robotic tech specialist with unique problems and technological self-upgrades.
    Alien Matriarch - Evolving eating machine with an army-centric viewpoint.
    Alien Scavenger - Evolving eating machine with a self-improvement schtick.
    Psionic - Brain zapper who uses native plantlife to expand his mind and can't use/carry much tech.
    Werivar - Hybrid Psionic/Tech character.
    Extropian - Hybrid Tech/Evolution (self improvement) character.

This does leave maybe another space for a robotic type character, and possible spaces for a hybrid psionic/evolution character and a non-advancing tech specialist who specialises in weaponry rather than advanced/clever technology.

The starting map is much, much safer now. I will not be replicating the ruins in their existing state however - there will be no permanent, easy safety that the player doesn't have to work for. There might be locations with favourable terrain (the start area for example could be sheltered on several sides by rocks and other debris from the crash) but none with a door you can close and forget about while you spend two days sticking bits of metal together.
    #
    Kario 12 years ago
    Thanks!
    And i simply have to applaud you on these works.
    they're really very nice just a smidge hard you might want to tone down on the alien spawn at your starting area .
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    Yeah, you have little chances being spawned immediately near reaper XD.
    I played without saves so it'll take time and effort to reproduce...
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    Progress:

1: The Android was fairly severely broken and his upgrades weren't working. This has now been remedied and he's doing pretty well now.
    2: Solar technology is now implemented, as are the pulse laser and another ingenuity combination or two.
    3: Knives now can perform some of the tasks that Tools can, namely those that require cutting.
    4: Pebble-use has been improved for non-throwing means, and Brown Claws have acquired a significant boost, they can now be used alongside pebbles in those self-same weapons, giving a serious boost in killocity.
    5: Green plants are now easier to prepare, and have further cooking applications.
    6: Simple food items are now consumable with hotkey "N". The least nutrititive food will be consumed first. This doesn't account for raw corpses, but covers basic gathered edible plants, cooked meat, and rations. Naturally snacking like this isn't quite so rewarding as cooking a proper meal, but when you're on the go...
    7: Minor balance tweak - Food consumption lowered, greatly. Android's Energy consumption on Easy mode lowered slightly, thirst has changed also, and all three non-vital bars (fatigue, thirst and hunger) have had their visible numbers removed.

Don't worry too desparately Venom, just if you spot it happening again, slap on the quicksave, I'd suspect it's just because food items aren't giving much back unless you gorge right now.

Chances of spawning next to a Reaper in the starting area have been reduced to 0.5%, with a minimum distance now being enforced from the spawner and the player.

More updates!
    8: Railgun complete. It, unlike the sniper rifle (which will be long range single target damage), penetrates like a fiend. It will be better against larger enemies, where its penetration can lead to multi-hits.
    This does rather leave me with a quandary however - would it be a bad thing for anyone if sniper bullets *didn't* use special ether lubed shells? With the sniper rifle using single regular bullets I have:

Pistol/Gauss: Bullet Clips
    Machine Pistol/Assault Pistol: Bullet Magazines
    Railgun/Sniper Rifle: Bullets

All neat and tidy, and a lot more user-friendly than manufacturing the things.

Your call, if you want it harder, I can make it harder, otherwise I'll make Sniper Rifles use standard shells.

9: F-Pistol complete. Now if you're the frugal sort, like me, you'll be able to trade off the chance for a powerful gun and go instead for a cheap and cheerful application of brute Force.
    10: Quick charge complete. Now, so long as you have a blue plant, a power unit, or an energy unit, you can Charge your batteries with C.

11: The Jungle spawner, at least, is now difficulty mode compatible. Now difficulties should have serious differences in play; Hard will play as a slightly easier version of what was seen in v0.2, Medium will effectively limit the spawn number of enemies from 10 down to 7.5, Easy will drop it rougghly down to half. They'll get an accordingly higher number of random spawned drops as well, making the three difficulty settings quite different from one another.
    Since I'm far too manly to play on easy mode, fingers crossed this actually works. It certainly does on Medium.
    12: Electrical weapons are implemented - the Tazor and Stun Laser, and the Warp Gun.
    The Warp Gun is slightly different from its Default equivalent.

Rather than sending things flying, the Warp Gun makes them disappear! After they reappear a few seconds later, they're usually dead from the unprotected, uncontrolled trip through warpspace. Those that do survive the initial trauma will be slowed and suffer further injury from shock over the next few moments. In total, targets (it pierces multiple enemies for maximum doomsday potential) hit by the Warp Gun are taken out of action for about five seconds. It does however guzzle more energy than anything else to date, including the laser pistol on max output, so try not to spam it.

13: Laser Shotgun completed - This completes all laser weapons.
    The laser shotgun creates a rapid series of short-range beams that will wreck absolutely anything in front of you. It can potentially lay out over three times the damage of the laser pistol (FYI the laser pistol is capable of 100 damage per second if aimed perfectly, the laser shottie could theoretically top 333 damage if you somehow hit with all five beams). It will also take 16 energy per second, sorry Warp Gun, you were the most energy hungry for all of an hour.

Still to do:

- Flame Weapons
    -The blowtorch family (and related android torch upgrade), as well as extinguishers so you can pretend to be Smokey the bear.

- Finish pistols.
    Still waiting on opinions from everyone for the Sniper Pistol. If I don't hear anything within a few hours, I'll default to using regular bullets, I can always switch out to the other kind later if people enjoyed that feature.
    - Launcher weapon.
    - Dragon breath
    - Shotgun
    - Explosive shell
    - Grenade.
    - Bullet/Pebbles variable quantity spawner.
    - Add props.

Once these are in place, I'll be taking a look at the votes and we'll see what I'm working on next.

Final Update for the night:

Alright, I've implemented the Escape Pod (though not yet the crater in which it will lie). Though the pod is irreparable after its trip through the lower atmosphere, you might manage to salvage something of value from its battered interior. Whether you try and do so immediately or wait is up to you of course.
    Once you finish searching, the fruits of your labour are deposited at your feet, ready to be checked and collected.

There will be one or two other such crafts across the planet once the game's finished, so keep an eye out for them.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    Updates: Again:

The starting area has been transformed into a small lake area. It is, for at least a day after crashing there, the safest region in the game, and a perfect spot for a beginning base, where the surrounding water will help turrets fend off any would-be attackers.

Water is now more tiring than before. Now, slogging through waist deep water will actually tire you out, swimming will tire you out more. Deep water will drown you if you're tired enough.

Swimming now prevents you from using: Guns, blades, bows, throwing weapons and clubs. Naturally flesh eating murderous aliens and their claws are unaffected.

You'll also correctly splash through the water now.

Sand is implemented, though currently rare, you'll move slower across sand than across regular terrain.
    Dirt is implemented, you'll leave footprints in it for a bit longer than grass, and drops will vary slightly on dirt.
    Grass terrain is becoming more varied, as are the water tiles.
    Swampy terrain is implemented. I haven't included deadly bogs where you drop into and can't move, constantly losing fatigue and health until you either drown or can feebly punch/swing your way to the shore. If you'd be interested in hazards like this however, let me know, I can always add them to hard-mode.

Trees have been implemented. Six types of them. The jungles are looking pretty varied nowadays. There's unfortunately nothing I can do to avoid trees forming on the occassional water tile.

Packrats beware - Carrying over your maximum capacity now causes more than just slower movement. Now it will tire you out as well.

New item: Hands full? Need light? Why not try strapping your torch to your head?
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    The starting area has been transformed into a small lake area. It is, for at least a day after crashing there, the safest region in the game, and a perfect spot for a beginning base, where the surrounding water will help turrets fend off any would-be attackers.
    So, there will be spawn in the starting area? Alien characters hooray, all others - die!

"TNN17" said:
    You'll also correctly splash through the water now.
    What's that?
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    So, there will be spawn in the starting area? Alien characters hooray, all others - die!

.... You do realise that there are aliens in the start area of Default as well, right?
    Since the spawn is hijacked at the beginning, the only aliens you'll encounter in the area in the beginning 24 hours should be small blue and small brown aliens, so it's actually safer than Default.

Also bear in mind that you did not recover health in Default, you shouldn't be dying to small aliens regardless of your skill level.

"Venom31" said:
    What's that?

Your footsteps will be correctly converted to splashes in the water as you move, just as you leave regular footprints in other terrains.

Updates: Graphics for the various container-utilising cookery items have been updated.

Update: Stasis Field Emitter has been implemented.
    Stasis Fields have differences from Default as follows:

1: The Emitter itself is an attackable, destroyable entity, responsible for generating the field.
    2: The Field does not disable all weapons, just those which have an energy based power sources.
    3: The Emitter is not on the same side as you, nor will any other turrets be (though barricade structures will be). This means you will need to watch your fire around the turrets. Likewise, if they get damaged, you will be able to use your Tools to repair them (an update that will occur tomorrow, it's 3 a.m again).
    4: Like all Turrets will be able to, the Emitter can be deactivated. This is done with the hotkey Z, which will transmit the deactivation code to the turret (you'll have to be near enough, and sorry - no it won't work on enemy turrets).
    5: If you deactivate the turret whilst it's undamaged, nothing unusual will happen. If you deactivate it while it's damaged however, then you'll receive a damaged emitter instead of a regular one. Whilst this can still be deployed, it will only have 1 Health. You can combine it with tools to repair it.
    6: If the emitter dies normally, it will drop a destroyed emitter. This can be salvaged to recover some of the components that initially went into making the emitter, or repaired with a Repair Unit to return it to a functioning, though damaged, state. Naturally it's better to deactivate an emitter than allow it to be destroyed.

Simply having tools (and a cutting torch) will improve the success rate, and yield, of your disassembly of broken turrets.

This particular lot of coding took me approximately six hours to make it work, and looks as a result: "Okay". Damn invisible code.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    .... You do realise that there are aliens in the start area of Default as well, right?
    Since the spawn is hijacked at the beginning, the only aliens you'll encounter in the area in the beginning 24 hours should be small blue and small brown aliens, so it's actually safer than Default.
    Yeah but in Default you could make it safe. I don't believe I'll be able to assemble a decent defense system in 24 in-game hours which pass damn fast if that wasn't changed...

"TNN17" said:
    Your footsteps will be correctly converted to splashes in the water as you move, just as you leave regular footprints in other terrains.
    This worked for me ever before, hence the question.

"TNN17" said:
    3: The Emitter is not on the same side as you, nor will any other turrets be (though barricade structures will be). This means you will need to watch your fire around the turrets.
    This also means you'll get killed by your own turrets if they are not aware to hold fire when facing you. (@EDIT And I believe they can't know that) (@EDIT2 W/E had the same effect about psionic) (@EDIT3 Which greatly added to his awfulness)
    #
    Nocture17 12 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Yeah but in Default you could make it safe. I don't believe I'll be able to assemble a decent defense system in 24 in-game hours which pass damn fast if that wasn't changed...

Ahh, I think I see where you're coming from.
    If you could humour me for a bit; why do you need/make a single location in Default, and what do you do/have there? Anyone else is free to answer this question as well.

This worked for me ever before, hence the question.

To clarify, I'm referring to visible splashy particles, not what I can only assume to be audible splashy sounds.

This also means you'll get killed by your own turrets if they are not aware to hold fire when facing you. (@EDIT And I believe they can't know that) (@EDIT2 W/E had the same effect about psionic) (@EDIT3 Which greatly added to his awfulness)

Hm, I'd actually thought that the psionic's problem was that he was basically throwing grenades at a range he couldn't possibly avoid the explosion radius in. Certainly, the [plug]grenades I just implemented that will now successfully throw, decelerate to a halt, and then explode taking out everything nearby[/plug] manage to continue to be [plug]awesome[/plug].

Well my default thought would be to suggest not standing in front of an army of machine gun firing death machines... but you do have a point though, I can add an instant side-change for Easy and Medium... But only for the human/android/marine/possibly Extropian side. The alien side and the psionic side won't have the programming expertise to include Friend or Foe differentiation. Whilst you *do* have friend or foe differentiation, you're obviously not using it if you shoot your own turrets.

Sound good?

Updates: Rocks implemented. Perhaps unexcitingly. Though rare in jungles, Rocks will occur in droves in rockier, sandier regions. Craters, whilst also implemented, do not hinder movement; waist high obstacles do not significantly enough obstruct movement to justify such a thing.
    Rocks will also provide natural cover behind which to hide in a fire-fight.
    This does not include the sharp, nobbly rocks which you will transform into smooth throwing pebbles with the power of 1970s technology, though that may happen sooner or later.

Grenades have been finalised and are throwing correctly, exploding correctly, and killing.... correctly. They're utterly appalling against aliens and other fast moving melee enemies however, since your grenade will fly over their heads and explode harmlessly behind them whilst they eat you to death. They're perfectly adequate at killing you of course.

Since the popular vote has gone shakily with "Ship Graveyard", I'll be making with the ruined spaceships sooner or later I suppose. Would people be interested in having said ruined ships be lootable for items? It's a bit more internally consistent than just randomly having tech spattered across the landscape in record numbers.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    "Nocture17" said:
    "Venom31" said:

Ahh, I think I see where you're coming from.
    If you could humour me for a bit; why do you need/make a single location in Default, and what do you do/have there? Anyone else is free to answer this question as well.
    A stash of the billion and five extra laser diodes, of course.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "Nocture17" said:
    Why single location? Well ok, the default had it, as well as it had limited resources. So, since FM may have respawning resources, it would become pretty imbalanced if starting area had items but didn't have enemies, is that your point? Before that, if the player did everything he could in starting area (ate everything, killed everyone, picked up everything useful etc.) it becomes pretty redundant except for only one reason - if the player gets tired of interrupted combining (and with repairing a pod it's very likely unless you clean out other areas in the same way) s/he can go back to the starting area and finally finish that piece of tech. Most of my dying experience so far in FM alphas is because a horde of monsters suddenly wants to kill me when I'm just standing making stuff.

"Nocture17" said:
    Hm, I'd actually thought that the psionic's problem was that he was basically throwing grenades at a range he couldn't possibly avoid the explosion radius in.
    That too.
    I believe it's the sides, not radius problem. Default had the same spell that worked perfectly.

"Nocture17" said:
    Well my default thought would be to suggest not standing in front of an army of machine gun firing death machines... but you do have a point though, I can add an instant side-change for Easy and Medium... But only for the human/android/marine/possibly Extropian side. The alien side and the psionic side won't have the programming expertise to include Friend or Foe differentiation. Whilst you *do* have friend or foe differentiation, you're obviously not using it if you shoot your own turrets.

Sound good?
    Well I guess so. Heck, I'd be happy if one could make turrets IFF correctly, with regard to damage area. But... maybe later in Driftmoon
    #
    Nocture17 12 years ago
    That's pretty much what I was expecting. You need a place to drop items, you need a place where your turrets and stasis field go, and you need a quiet place to combine.

You're pretty much following my thoughts here - there are several differences here that make me hesitant to make easy-exclusion zones.

1: FM doesn't need the Stasis Field generator or resources to heal - If you can huddle underneath a tree for a few hours, you'll recover a few points of health.
    2: As you said, many resources in FM are limitless. Fire is the only resource in the game that's actually harder to come by in FM than it is in Default.
    3: Default was easy. All you needed in FM to have a perfect base was: Stasis Field, Laser Turret, Fire. With the ruins you don't even need that. You're looking at ten items tops before you have a home away from home to heal, sit and combine to your heart's content. Even in WE, a super machine gun turret or two could hold off any number of Dire Reapers 'til doomsday. I have fond memories of successful bases situated in the middle of the hive.
    4: There aren't many long combinations. Off the top of my head the longest I can think of is a 7 or so (well, 9001, but they don't count). Most sit in the 1-5 range, and you will not be carrying around a craft capable of both flight and interstellar travel to make you stare at decreasing numbers for thirty seconds at a time.
    5: You will, after the laws of probability have their say, be able to fully suppress an area for several hours. This happens naturally with every area; a 1 in 7 chance of a 24 hour item seed that will decrease the number of potential spawns by 1 until it hatches. In late game terms, clearing an area and letting a full ten reseeds to take place has an 80% chance of dropping the spawn available to the area by 1 - effectively the more you kill in a short time limit, the safer the area gets.
    6: Lastly: How sturdy should a door to a bunch of ruins be? How impenetrable can a ruin with no roof be? Strong enough to hold out fifty Dire Reapers and five battledroids? There's a reason why I'm planning on the shelter being a destructible thing, you're not safe. Everything will eat you if possible, including the Marines. If you want to be safe, you will have to fight to construct that safety yourself or steal someone else's. Unless you're the apex predator, you are prey to something.

This aside, the Lake won't be on the same spawn-type as the Jungle, it will count as a plains-location, meaning Blue aliens and Brown Aliens primarily, with slightly different item seed results. You still may enjoy a Dire alien (my proposed calculation gives each seed a 1/125 chance of dropping Dire) when implemented, but that's why you shouldn't sit around in a base you can't defend.

You might consider it interesting that Default's Psionic blast explosion didn't damage anyone, it just had a piercing attribute on the basic blast and a flashy particle effect. Uberwaffe presumably thought that the explosion generated on impact would be on the same side as the Psionic.

"Venom31" said:
    Well I guess so. Heck, I'd be happy if one could make turrets IFF correctly, with regard to damage area. But... maybe later in Driftmoon

How do you mean "IFF correctly"? In terms of not shooting friends, missing friends when it does shoot, or in terms of "friend is in the way, don't shoot"? Because certainly the first two are easy enough.

And fine, hint taken. Light Diodes will become as rare as Particle Accelerators and it's all Pete's fault.

Edit: Huh, it just occurred to me. Notrium FM is a total conversion of Notrium.... into itself! *Divides by zero.*
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    "Nocture17" said:
    And fine, hint taken. Light Diodes will become as rare as Particle Accelerators and it's all Pete's fault.

NOOOOOOOOO WHAT HAVE I DONE
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    "Nocture17" said:
    How do you mean "IFF correctly"? In terms of not shooting friends, missing friends when it does shoot, or in terms of "friend is in the way, don't shoot"? Because certainly the first two are easy enough.
    It's what it says - with regard to damage area. This means that if laser turret shoots the beam which damages everyone on this line, it should be prohibited to it to shoot there if you are on the line, farther than monster or closer - no matter - if you'll get hit. Analogically if fire turret has a wide sector of flame coverage, it should shoot at monsters sideways of you if direct hit will burn you too. I have no idea how one can make that in Notrium, hence the phrase. Other terms are pretty much incomplete to speak about turrets how-you-want-to-make-them-in-real-life.

Few hours - few hit points - what a relieving thought
    Anyway, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - must see it fully in one game. I'll make no assumptions beforehand.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    On top of his misdeeds in ruining Light Diodes for everyone, I believe I'm also going to blame Pete for this one too:

Small Reapers are now implemented.

These little suckers are harmless enough, unless they see you. If they see you, they'll charge and claw you for 1 damage.
    Once.

They will then switch tactics to "Flee" and run away from you, leaving you potentially bleeding and definitely annoyed.

Though unlikely to kill you quickly, if you can't find a way of dealing with these little monsters (one clean hit with any gun, two hits in a row with punches, one or two swipes with a blade....) they will slowly pick you to death.

Because hey, not every creature needs to mercilessly fight you to the death.

Some just like to watch you bleed.

On the bright side, their existence makes adult reapers a lot rarer, though they love to surprise you in the dead of night with ambushes.

"Venom31" said:
    Anyway, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - must see it fully in one game. I'll make no assumptions beforehand.

Believe it or not, I'm very interested in your concerns of difficulty. I believe I've already mentioned I'm trying to balance an intense game with one that's not impossible to beat, so feel free to worry away after each version so I can see how I'm doing.

Well, I've added my daily new things, I guess I'll work on blowtorches and flamers now to kill said new things.
    #
    bwansy 12 years ago
    It's great to see that FM is progressing so quickly. I came here to post some new ideas of mine, only to find out that they have already been implemented, including destructible shelters and fatigue in water.

Small reapers are evil!
    #
    Forum » Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: