Sandbags Brainstorm - This is partly for myself, since it's a lot easier to make something when you've written down what you want it to do, but feel free to comment on this.
- Sandbags will block all normal weaponfire, regardless of their side.
- Turrets will fire a new weapon type, allowing them to bypass sandbags, again, regardless of side. Rare types of Fortified Marine or Robot will use the same weapon type. If I follow through with my idle plans to have a player mountable turret, they will be able to fire past sandbags as well.
- Sandbags will be "deactivatable" with Z. If they're destroyed with the Z-key, then they will be redeployable at full strength, regardless of their existing health (this abstracts the player's ability to repair the damage to a bag quite easily so long as the seams have held). They will also be easily repairable with tools and repair kits.
- Sandbags will not have a collision effect with creatures - so aliens will be able to run over them to attack the player. The player, meanwhile, will be able to move over the sandbag a little ways so that their gun is on the other side of the bags, allowing them to shoot "over" them.
- Sandbags may, depending on how awkward it will be to do so, have an effect that slows movement of creatures near them. This would either involve a weapon specifically targetting any nearby creature and slowing them, or adding a condition check to every creature to see if it's near a sandbag and slow it accordingly. Probably have to be the latter, despite how nightmarish it is to achieve. This would still allow creatures to climb over them, but would enforce a limitation on their ability to bypass them.
In contrast - Walls will stop all weapons fire and not be bypassable by any weapons (again, the player could shoot between cracks that they left themselves). Turrets will be able to bypass wooden walls as well, making them an excellent option when fortified, for and against the player.
For both structures, there will be weapons available that will bypass fortifications - Flamers, plasma sprays and grenades will all have various methods of bypassing barriers to harm the juicy contents. Wooden walls may also be set on fire, which would be very, very bad for you if it happened to be your fort. This would bypass their health, so you couldn't just repair through the damage.
The net of this would be:
A Sandbag would make a soft "doorway" type barrier to a potential player fortification. It would be a decent defence against Marines and other ranged opposition. If I don't have it slow down creatures, then the player will still be able to secure the front of a sandbag wall with Snares to temporarily immobilise approaching creatures. Most Creatures would ignore them, but would still potentially damage them either shooting at you or your turrets.
Wooden walls would be the main structural components of a potential fortification, with higher health and defences than the sandbag against most things. Again, creatures would ignore them, but would usually end up hitting them trying to get to you or your structures.
I may add metal walls as well, these would be toughest of all, but require the most valuable, hard to acquire material of them all.
The player's capacity to easily create kill-zones with investment into combinations of sandbags, walls and turrets is limited by the fact that turrets of all kinds will have limited resources that the player will have to restock or circumvent. An unguarded fortress may survive without turret defenders for awhile, but it will eventually fall.
So yeah, these are the defensive aspects I'm planning to be working on this version. Any suggestions or comments?