Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Thread title goes here
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Thread title goes here

MageKing17 12 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    We can't just use the forgot password feature because we have absolutely no idea whose email address the account is attached to.
    ...Why not try all your email addresses? Surely one of them must be linked to his account.
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    We can't just use the forgot password feature because we have absolutely no idea whose email address the account is attached to.
    ...Why not try all your email addresses? Surely one of them must be linked to his account.
    My dad completely stopped what our webserver was doing to watch for an email to come in from Mojang to any address. Nothing. Before going that far, we did of course try every email address we could think of. None of them got an email, nor did any of them work in the forgot password form. We're starting to think the account doesn't even have an email address attached to it, but we kinda can't confirm that. I tried to guess the password (I'm in a good mood, and we know the gist of it), but nothing worked.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    "Areetsa" said:
    So I completely forgot about this place. I seem to do that a lot.
    Side effect of that: took half a dozen tries to remember my password. Bit embarrassing, but entirely in character for me.
    I still have an account I couldnt remember the password of somewhere around here...

...oh wow, past me is STUPID. I cant believe I actually used u instead of you at one point in time.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    You're not alone. I recently read some of my ancient posts on various forums (which means... here and the Angband forums)... what the hell. Children/teens are stupid.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    On that: *poker face*
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I'm starting with University in... what, seven days, and I'm already behind on the paperwork.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    I'm starting with University in... what, seven days, and I'm already behind on the paperwork.

That could be called talented, maybe it's one of your (many?) special talents? At least it sure sounds like something not everyone is capable of.
    #
    If anyone ever posts a question about modding without specifying whether they're talking about Notrium or Driftmoon, and there are no context clues, I suggest posting this:
    Please note that due to the nature of the new forum and its incomplete state, we cannot determine what game you might be talking about if you don't actually specify what game you might be talking about.
    ... By the way, I wrote it. For exactly that purpose. And I've already used it once.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Apparently, I have only (on average) twenty hours of university stuff per week. I'm used to at least 35, back in school. So, that's neat. Also, I can sleep basically as long as I want, since I usually start somewhere around 3pm.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    Apparently, I have only (on average) twenty hours of university stuff per week. I'm used to at least 35, back in school. So, that's neat. Also, I can sleep basically as long as I want, since I usually start somewhere around 3pm.
    It's the best chance you've ever got to start programming a game! I started Notrium in my first year at university, definitely good programming practice.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    ville said:
    Narvius said:
    It's the best chance you've ever got to start programming a game! I started Notrium in my first year at university, definitely good programming practice.

Or, if starting from scratch is still a bit too much (it's A LOT of work), why not make a brilliant mod to Driftmoon! But in any case, if you want to make a game, it's better to start on it now - not when you already have a wife, two kids and a mortgage. And it is a pretty good idea making one, if you're studying IT like Ville was.

Good to hear university sounds like a decent amount of work for you. Studying at the university will hopefully be a really great time in your life, but I have to warn it goes sooo fast... So enjoy it!
    #
    University's pretty laid back for me as well. The only problem I've got with it so far is that you have to study for stuff on purpose. I don't do that. >.>
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Yup. I've been thinking about programming a game. Currently I'm implementing a few little tools to remind me of STUFF I NEED TO DO - because I don't remember them, mostly - but then, yep. Game.

I'm studying something that roughly translates as Automation and Robotics. I didn't want to study IT, because... well, I mostly can program already. I even collaborated on a minor project (small e-mail client, pretty much a practice thingy).
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    I've been thinking about programming a game.
    That's dangerous stuff, that is! Think about it, and you'll eventually start doing it! And then you'll wonder what the hell happened to your life. It's horrible!

(And awesome.)

If you ever need help, well, you have plenty of people to ask.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I think I'll go the aldentecore way and write a roguelike in C with libtcod. I have two pretty neat concepts floating around.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    My advice for myself to thinking up new game ideas would be something like this:
    1. Read gaming news
    2. Find a game idea that's so ingenious that your imagination start working overtime by just looking at the game's name and description.
    3. That's the kind of idea you're looking for. The game idea has to be so good that when you ever utter the first sentence of the description, people will think it's a great game. You can either clone the idea you found, or think of a better one.
    4. Plan the game. If you get any blank spots in your plan that you plan to fill later, your game idea is too complex.
    5. Make a prototype in a week, and expand on that.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Yup, I think my first idea is a pretty good idea. But writing a 7DRL will be hard, I guess.
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    I think I'll go the aldentecore way and write a roguelike in C with libtcod. I have two pretty neat concepts floating around.
    Neat. You've got our support.

Edit: That library is loaded with algorithms!
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    So I suppose I should mention that a certain blog post on a certain site related to pathfinding has been very helpful in pointing me the right way with a certain uni exercise, so thanks for that, Ville.

On a related note, spending two and a half hours bug fixing something only to find out youre forgetting to load the last item in an array only gets more annoying every time it happens. Youd think Id learn to doublecheck that by now.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    You're welcome! If you'd like to know anything other about how I've done something with Driftmoon, ask away, I'd be happy to write about it.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I landed a programming job, neat.

This whole protection around proprietary software is amusing, I don't really see how ANYONE would want to pirate something like the thing I'm helping on. Seriously.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Congrats! But don't forget your studies now...
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    I landed a programming job, neat.
    Congratulations!

Narvius said:
    This whole protection around proprietary software is amusing, I don't really see how ANYONE would want to pirate something like the thing I'm helping on. Seriously.
    Welcome to the world of "OH EM GEE LET'S PUT DRM ON EVERYTHING". It sucks just as much as it sounds like.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Thanks.

MageKing17 said:
    Welcome to the world of "OH EM GEE LET'S PUT DRM ON EVERYTHING". It sucks just as much as it sounds like.

Yup. I even have access to a proprietary/license-protected TreeView control.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    Drawing is hard. That is all I have to say, really.
    #
    Pete said:
    Indeed it is.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Pete said:
    Indeed it is.
    Hard to begin with, and even harder when you don't (have time for) practice. Unfortunately, my drawing is rusty indeed...

What are you drawing, by the way?
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Anne said:
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Pete said:
    Indeed it is.
    Hard to begin with, and even harder when you don't (have time for) practice. Unfortunately, my drawing is rusty indeed...

What are you drawing, by the way?
    My guess is he was talking about his new avatar.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    That's what I was thinking, but you never know. Too bad I can't take the credit for painting my own avatar. But at least I'm in the pic (well, it's mostly me - I don't really have wings, in case you were wondering), and I can feel a sense of pride for my talented painter -husband. He'll get a laugh when he reads this.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Anne said:
    That's what I was thinking, but you never know. Too bad I can't take the credit for painting my own avatar. But at least I'm in the pic (well, it's mostly me - I don't really have wings, in case you were wondering), and I can feel a sense of pride for my talented painter -husband. He'll get a laugh when he reads this.
    Did you actually do a double-post there, or did the post editing thingummy bug out on you?
    #
    [OT] The last time I double-posted like that, I accidentally hit the quote button and thought the forum made a mistake, so I unquoted myself and fixed the post. One could reasonably assume the same happened here. On a related note, Ville, if you're reading this, we could still use delete buttons on posts! [/OT]
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    Did you actually do a double-post there, or did the post editing thingummy bug out on you?
    Hahaa, it must be a bug in the forum! I never ever make mistakes myself! Yet another job for.... Super-Ville!
    [What? Too much chocolate, you say? No way.]
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Could be a bug, could be something else. I added the timestamp for editing posts a few days ago, so it could be that.

I do have a delete button myself of course. But I'm not sure if it would create some strangeness if people went about deleting their own posts... I'm open to suggestion of course.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    Ninja deletion. Thank you
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    ville said:
    Could be a bug, could be something else. I added the timestamp for editing posts a few days ago, so it could be that.

I do have a delete button myself of course. But I'm not sure if it would create some strangeness if people went about deleting their own posts... I'm open to suggestion of course.
    I think the way the old forum did it should be fine: if your post hasn't been replied to, you can delete it.
    #
    Forum » Thread title goes here
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: