Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Thread title goes here
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Thread title goes here

Narvius 10 years ago
    Hey, folks. Remember when we finished Alien Swarm in one night/day/session, years ago? Anyone wants to redo that?
    Edited 10 years ago
    #
    Anonymous1157 10 years ago
    I was fortunate enough to play Alien Swarm then, but I haven't had a gaming-capable computer in a long while. So I'm out this time around.
    #
    Amarth 10 years ago
    I'm always in for some flamethrower-on-bug-action!
    #
    Endymion 10 years ago
    I didn't have a proper computer at the time but now I do! So I'd love a good excuse to get around to playing it instead of just occasionally going oh yeah I should play that too sometime. Of course I imagine I'd be quite horrible at it.
    #
    MageKing17 10 years ago
    I couldn't run Alien Swarm back then; now I, uh, drastically exceed the system requirements. I don't have a lot of free time for multiplayer gaming, though; it would pretty much have to be on the weekend, and probably late at night (from someone's perspective, anyway ).
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    My new rig is actually more capable of running games than my desktop. But I also could use more free time, so we'd have to find an adequate moment for the session.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    Alright, some weekend night-for-someone, then. I usually don't mind that someone being me, however this weekend isn't all that great for me.

Though I think getting everyone together will take longer than two-three days. :3
    #
    I find myself frustrated trying to write a paper in Windows because I can't actually keep track of the windows I want to work with. On Linux, I just use virtual desktops to group sets of windows, so I don't really ever, you know, lose running applications.

... It's kind of ironic 'cause of the name and all.

*Goes back to work*
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    The album I pre-ordered is now in my possession. It's... bliss!

Also, it came with a label sampler of greater duration than the intended album. How cute.
    #
    I was talking to my little brother about stuff when he decides to bring up that Garry's Mod runs like crap on Linux. Of course, I don't believe him, because we have a long history of the same exact program failing on his Mint install at some level while working flawlessly on my Arch. So I get him to boot into Linux and try to show me what's going on. Long story short, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with his Steam games.

However, I got him to try Sauerbraten as a debugging step -- you know, to see if there's something globally wrong, or if it's just Steam. Three hours of multiplayer later, he's decided to buy the Quake bundle next time it's on sale in the Steam store.

My work here is done.
    #
    Whoops, can't let this thread drop off the first page! It's my holdover until I get off my ass and get my own blog. (Obviously.)

Valve open-sourced a thing that translates a subset of Direct3D to OpenGL. The catch is that it was torn directly out from under Dota 2, and has a bunch of hard-coded behaviour. But, if it gets adopted by people in the open-source community, it could become an option for porting everything from sixty-dollar big-name ass-pulls down to something like Driftmoon.

Especially something like Driftmoon.

It's like I'm not being subtle at all.

In other news, I recently switched to Gentoo on my main laptop. I seem to be getting an extra 10FPS across the board in my games over my old Arch setup! The drawback is that I felt the need to build a Gentoo server first so I could use distcc to build the system in a timely manner, although I guess the benefit is that I also have a server now.
    #
    MageKing17 10 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Valve open-sourced a thing that translates a subset of Direct3D to OpenGL. The catch is that it was torn directly out from under Dota 2, and has a bunch of hard-coded behaviour.
    Now that is a fascinating, cool thing. Kind of the cool thing I've started to expect from Valve, really. "Hey, so, here's this thing we made. It's ripped straight out of some game-specific code, so it's not generalized, but it'll probably help someone else, so everyone can have it."

I wish more developers did shit like that.
    #
    Grim Reaper 10 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    "Hey, so, here's this thing we made. It's ripped straight out of some game-specific code, so it's not generalized, but it'll probably help someone else, so everyone can have it."

I wish more developers did shit like that.
    I wish more publishers allowed for their developers to do shit like that.
    #
    Anonymous1157 9 years ago
    WHY.
    DID MICROSOFT.
    NOT.
    RELEASE.
    THIS.
    AS WINDOWS 8.0.

THAT'S ACTUALLY REALLY PRETTY I MIGHT TRY RUNNING IT ON A SPARE COMPUTER FOR A LITTLE WHILE

(... That's what freaking out looks like on the Internet.)

In other news, The New MSOffice (TM) is not much better than The Old MSOffice (TM) when it comes to opening OpenDocument files. Instead, the Office team focused their energy on making the text cursor do a headache-inducing smooth glide when you type. Nice.
    #
    Narvius 9 years ago
    While I still do play quite a bit of videogames, now it's mostly fighting games (against other people) and random stuff I livestream (IWBTG and the like). It's been years since I've properly OCD 100%ed a game over the course of one or two sleepless days, and I've to say, there's something strangely soothing about doing just that.

The game in question is Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, which took me 16 1/2 hours gametime.
    #
    MageKing17 9 years ago
    Ah, Castlevania... there is something about that series that drives me to 100% its games like nothing else. Except Lament of Innocence. Fuck that game. Curse of Darkness was much better.
    #
    Narvius 9 years ago
    Random Tales of Random(tm).

I started playing a bit of Hearthstone four days ago, mostly because I showed it to my flatmate and he really took a liking to it, and I enjoyed our initial matches.

Okay, so two days ago, I friended some random dude off Ranked I had a fun match against (even though I lost). Yesterday, while I was at uni, I noticed he accepted the friend request, so we started chatting a bit, some random initial smalltalk ("where u from", the like, turns out he's from Portugal), when a meatspace friend of mine appears and sees I'm playing Hearthstone, so he gives me his gamertag, and I add him.

"1 friend in common"

What.

At that point, I literally had two friends on my list - my flatmate, and that dude from Portugal. So I asked the dude, whom I was still chatting with, if he knew a guy by the name of [gamertag of my meatspace friend]. He was very surprised when I told him that friend is currently sitting next to me.

The world is a frighteningly small space.

In other news, I played Arkham Horror (board game) with a bunch of friends today, and we actually won, albeit barely. We defeated Ithaqua with everyone but me dead and me on my last breath.

Edited 9 years ago
    #
    Amarth 9 years ago
    Arkham Horror... I played it a dozen times and I still don't know all the rules. What an inelegant clusterfuck of a game. Almost as bad as D&D 3.5.

But they both lead to cool tales, though!
    #
    TheSlider 9 years ago
    Hey everyone. Just passing by and wondering what the Devs are up to. I know they're active in the forums but i really want to know what they're doing as i didn't get anything new through RSS.
    So, Ville and Anne, what's up since the Unity port announcement ? : )

Edited 9 years ago
    #
    Grim Reaper 9 years ago
    TheSlider said:
    Vile
    Ville is most definitely not vile. Please be more careful with your Ls.
    #
    ville 9 years ago
    Anne is working full time (or at least nearly full time) for the city as a psychologist. And I'm actually still working on the Unity port of Driftmoon. It's taking a lot of time to get it running fast enough on phones. I've got most of the code working, but it's not quite fast enough yet. And on top of that mobile graphics processors are atrocious when it comes to drawing transparent pictures, and Driftmoon is pretty much full of those.

So I'm working on the Unity port mainly, and planning our next bigger project on the side. I won't be revealing news on that until it's quite close to being finished, but I will reveal that it's going to be fantastic! I'm still hoping to do a Driftmoon post-mortem a bit after the Unity port is ready, and if our contracts with retailers allow, reveal a bit about how well Driftmoon did financially.
    #
    TheSlider 9 years ago
    Awesome ! Awesome ! Awesome !
    Can't wait to see what the port will look like in the new engine or to hear more about you next big thing !
    I only wonder if modding support will be just as easy (manipulating files and folders) since most of the unity games I played used generic data files.

About mobile support, I think I understand what you're going throug. Driftmoon uses indeed tons of images and the process of loading them (binding) individually takes huge amounts of resources.
    I don't know if Unity has a way to either manually or automatically pack textures in an atlas but this is probably the way to go (if you're already doing that, then maybe this is probably what causes transparency issues).
    Not sure about transparency but Maybe some of us can help identifying the problem f you describe it ?

#
    Forum » Thread title goes here
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: