Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Welcome to the new forum
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Welcome to the new forum

ville 12 years ago
    Never say never. I'll put the subforums back when I have to start looking through multiple pages of new topics every day.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Some sort of thread tagging and filtering system ought to be enough, I think.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I thought we were supposed to get tagging instead sometime in the future. Seems like a much more modern approach ;P

On that: How about some standard tags (roughly corresponding to the old subforums, ie. Driftmoon, Notrium, Older Games, Banter and so on) are always shown and have checkboxes (or a bunch of radio buttons, since they are mostly mutually exclusive), plus a text field to add other, custom tags (which would ideally show a list tags that were used before and that match your input as you type).
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    I was also going to say something about tagging. It was supposed to replace subforums and streamline search, but Ville seems to say here that subforums will be gone and nobody's come up with something to ease search. I'm confused.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    I'm rooting for some sort of tagging, when Ville has time to look into it (that is, he needs a Driftmoon-break). I think Narvius gave some good ideas in his description above. For me, the absence of some sort of tags is the biggest shortcoming of the forum at the moment - especially for older topics, some of which are now named ambiguously. I'm not pointing fingers at the original namers of course, since with the old subforum approach, the names were ok.

For now, we can probably live with including the "tags" in the names of new topics though, right? But I don't know whether something should&could be done to clarify the names of some of the old topics?
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    ...nobody's come up with something to ease search. I'm confused.
    And what exactly is meant when said "easing search"? Algorithmically? Ease of use? Convenience? Quality of results?

Anne said:
    ...I don't know whether something should&could be done to clarify the names of some of the old topics?
    Temporarily use old subforums' names as prefixes for each corresponding old thread?
    Example: [it's right here] Notrium Modding: Modding questions/answers [/it's right here]

@EDIT
    Also, some outdated and not relevant topics may be considered to be deleted/shrinked. But it's a great deal of work to review them and do something with it, and I'd bet Ville has no time for it ATM. Still not a bad idea to delete all spammed topics, useless "HELP!" things that ask for the same thing as 100 topics just above etc...

@EDIT2
    I must admit, the new forum's design is a bit more convenient in writing spoiler tags
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    I will probably implement some sort of tagging in the future, probably using the old subforums. All of the current threads already know which subforum they belonged into. I guess you could use the tags as some sort of a filter when looking at the topics list, or in search. But my first priority should be to get any search at all working...
    #
    Oh, yeah. I didn't realize we have no search at all right now. I don't suppose you could concurrently give posts tag metadata blocks and create a search-by-tag feature, even if there is no way to add tags for a while? After all, we're doing fine without a dedicated PM page.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Venom31 said:
    I must admit, the new forum's design is a bit more convenient in writing spoiler tags
    Wasn't Ville going to add a [spoiler] tag?

Also, the old forum was fine, depending on which theme you used.
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    EDIT: Nevermind, Im an idiot that forgot to disable ghostery before complaining about site scripts not working. Carry on.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    testing edit
    Works?
    Also Spoiler tags should work.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Would be neat if images that extend beyond the forum area wouldn't be shown as-is like they are in here. Some sort of automatically generated thumbnail that could be clicked to view the full image would be neat.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    Would be neat if images that extend beyond the forum area wouldn't be shown as-is like they are in here. Some sort of automatically generated thumbnail that could be clicked to view the full image would be neat.
    That would be possible if I can make some sort of an image attachment system. I've already got the code for the avatar uploads, so it shouldn't be that difficult.
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    ville said:
    testing edit
    Works?
    Also Spoiler tags should work.
    It shows on hover... even without clicking...
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Venom31 said:

I think it's supposed to do that, actually. Do you find it problematic in some respect, that you don't need to click to open a spoiler?
    Maybe you want to make sure you wont accidentally hover over, and read something that'll spoil the ingenious Driftmoon plot for you?
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Anne said:
    Venom31 said:

I think it's supposed to do that, actually. Do you find it problematic in some respect, that you don't need to click to open a spoiler?
    Maybe you want to make sure you wont accidentally hover over, and read something that'll spoil the ingenious Driftmoon plot for you?
    That can be a concern for some people; personally, I find no difference between hover-over spoilers and click-to-view spoilers (or highlight-to-view spoilers); either you want to read it, or you don't... and if you don't, don't read it.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    I love the way that smiley works in the spoiler.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Bearded smileys, huh.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    I took half an hour and added some formatting buttons to the text editor. Please tell me if they're not working.

I also fixed the code tag.
    See! Indentation!

And the size tag is also fixed now! I didn't actually limit the size at all, so you're welcome to see how big fonts your browser can take.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    ville said:
    I took half an hour and added some formatting buttons to the text editor. Please tell me if they're not working.

I also fixed the code tag.
    See! Indentation!

And the size tag is also fixed now! I didn't actually limit the size at all, so you're welcome to see how big fonts your browser can take.

And editor stuff buttons!
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    It still misses the color. Oh well

Ha! <pun> It spoils the spoiler! </pun>
    #

The images button definitely works.

Also, there appears to be a resizing handle on the bottom of the editor textbox that wasn't there before, and I STILL don't really know if this is a feature my browser or the webpage furnishes. Either way, thank you Mozilla and/or Ville.

Edit: ... And there appears to be a bar at the very top of the webpage that says "null", but only on the forum.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Now where is that null coming from?
    [edit] Maybe fixed now?
    #
    It's fixed!
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Venom31 said:
    It still misses the color. Oh well

This opens up lots of interesting possibilities, doesn't it? You really wanna know, what's under the spoiler now, don't you? We can leave cool, new teasers inside spoilers! And yay to bearded smileys:
    #
    Amarth 12 years ago
    Getting frequent logouts again...
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Amarth said:
    Ditto, although I'm actually suspecting it's related to Google's new login thingy.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Doesn't seem to be happening to me on any browser at the moment. Can anyone confirm this?
    #
    Venom31 12 years ago
    Amarth said:
    ville said:
    Doesn't seem to be happening to me on any browser at the moment. Can anyone confirm this?
    Have been for a few days some time ago. Now it's ok for today and at least yesterday AFAIR.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I wasn't logged out once.
    #
    I haven't been logged out since you initially set up staying logged in. Well, maybe once, but I logged in from my cellphone and I'm assuming my desktop was logged off on purpose.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    I think the google forum search is working a bit better now. I gave it a sitemap, so it updates a bit faster, and it also favors recent topics.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Seems like the new page generation for threads still happens one post too early.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Yep. It seems like one of those pesky off-by-one mistakes.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    Seems like the new page generation for threads still happens one post too early.

Ville just complained that it's a real bummer testing it, since he has to post 35 posts just to get one try at it. He'll get to it eventually, though.
    #
    Forum » Welcome to the new forum
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: