Register
Email: Password:
Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!

Crazy 16 years ago
    *coughthreadlongdeadanduseryouarereplyingtohasalreadylefttheforumscough*
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    That was a pretty long cough. *checks dates*
    #
    Cyrius 15 years ago
    hi there. Ive got the same problem with the jumpgate. I just downloaded Notrium from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php">http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php</a><!-- m --> then i downloaded the wazzal 2 mod from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php?mod_dir=Wazzal2">http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php?mod_dir=Wazzal2</a><!-- m --> . Then i installed Notrium and extracted wazzal 2 into my notrium folder. I started Notrium and tried to find the jumpgate but i couldn't find it. I really hope that you can help me! (i searched for any jumpgates files in my notrium - wazzal 2 folder, but i couldn't find anyone).
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    That isn't even remotely the latest version.

Download this file instead.
    #
    Cyrius 15 years ago
    thx for your fast reply, I'll try this out as soon as i'm at home again.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago

Build 4 coming soon!

Hi everyone. After a long, long hiatus, this mod is back in full production.

Build 4 will be a major release. One of the biggest problems with Build 3 was that it was more of a technical demo; lots of features yet virtually no game play, so the full extent of what was there was not able to be enjoyed. This one will be significantly different.

Some of the major features/changes so far:

[list]
    [*]All areas (both space and terrestrial) are now linked. So no more will you not be able to travel to a fully completed area, simply because there are no warp-gates linking them.[/*:m]
    [*]There's now a total of six fully fledged areas, two space and four terrestrial[/*:m]
    [*]New areas include a new type of planet/design that I am fairly sure hasn't been tried before.[/*:m]
    [*]The Wolf IV interior is almost complete. There is now a large holographic training deck where you can try out your new weapons against hologram aliens and soldiers to earn experience.[/*:m]
    [*]The ranks now go all the way from Ensign (50 Promotion Points) to Admiral of the Fleet (2000 Promotion Points). While the rewards for the upper ranks are not filled out, they are all achievable. When B4 is released, post your screenshots of the highest ranks you have achieved here![/*:m]
    [*]Fully usable/controllable tanks that can be used on the battlefield.[/*:m]
    [*]New Alien enemy classes: Alien Battleship (devastatingly powerful laser-armed spacecraft, which also launches light and heavy Alien fighter), Alien Drone (hand-to-hand fighting Alien soldier), Elite Alien Drone (Long-range weapon Alien Soldier), Alien Tank (Powerful laser-armed all-terrain vehicle)[/*:m]
    [*]New United Confederacy classes: United Confederacy Destroyer (powerful and heavily-armed combat spacecraft, launches fighters), Heavy Fighter (more heavily armed version of the Light Fighter, including launchable missiles)[/*:m]
    [*]Added allied bunkers that can be used for respite from heavy fighting.[/*:m]
    [*]Stores are now available in several locations: on board the Wolf IV and in bunkers.[/*:m]
    [*]New items: landmines, EMP cannon, deployable Heavy and Light fighters (that can be released while in battle) and more.[/*:m]
    [*]Added healing and energy pools on board the Wolf IV and in bunkers, which can be used for a small monetary cost.[/*:m]
    [*]Bodyguards system has been re-worked, and now should function correctly.[/*:m][/list:u]

I am currently in the finalizing stages of this build. I may even be able to get it released this week; I'm not going to commit to anything yet though; you know how that's gone in the past. I'll keep you updated with the progress here, and please, keep sending in your ideas! If they're good, they're guaranteed a place in the mod.

Also, an inquiry: anyone with model-making and graphics skills left on these forums? I'm not sure if Forceuser still frequents here, and as this mod goes on I'm going to need some more graphics.

Now, anyone for some screenshots?
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    Well. Back with a bang, are we? It all sounds spiffy, keep it up!
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Holy hell. Never thought I'd see the day.

This is almost inspiring enough to make me want to work on this mod again.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    Haha, well in a way I have you to thank Mageking17 for getting me back into this; I stumbled across your B3.1 version in my download folder a few weeks ago and it made me want to get back to work.

Screenshots:

As you can see, a fair few changes since the last build. Now, I need something from everyone else here: what features/ideas/anything would you want added to this mod? If it's possible, I'll probably be able to add it before I finalize this build and release it later this week. So, go for it, this is your best chance to get into the mod and into the credits!
    #
    Moon832 15 years ago
    I don't know if anyone has said this already, but could you put planet Notrium in there for the player to explore? It would be so cool to see that the marines on Notrium are friendly to you, or maybe Notrium could be colonized? I would also recommend to have some friendly ships floating around that you can shoot by accident and then steal their supplies. lol BTW, I have one last idea. Is there a way you could make a huge battleship that attacks you, but you can get on it and destroy it from the inside only. Sounds like a good mission to me.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    "Moon832" said:
    I don't know if anyone has said this already, but could you put planet Notrium in there for the player to explore? It would be so cool to see that the marines on Notrium are friendly to you, or maybe Notrium could be colonized?

OK, first idea is great, although there's no way I could add the full version of Notrium with multiple areas, as from the original Notrium. I am including the hive sector, but any detail on Notrium itself is to be worked out further down the track. It all depends on what version of history from what ending of Notrium I choose to select forthe official history of Wazzal II. For example, in one of the endings, Notrium is actually "incinerated from its orbit". So we'll see. The planet or at least the memory of the planet will though figure prominently in the storyline and progress of Wazzal II, because as you could imagine, the time the captain spent there would have impacted on him quite significantly.

"Moon832" said:
    I would also recommend to have some friendly ships floating around that you can shoot by accident and then steal their supplies. lol

Done. I've now added four new classes of friendly ships that remain neutral to you until you shoot them, and then will attack. Stealing their supplies will feature in a limited fashion in Build 4, however I'm hoping to work out a new on-board combat and boarding system for the next few builds (either B5 or B6).

"Moon832" said:
    BTW, I have one last idea. Is there a way you could make a huge battleship that attacks you, but you can get on it and destroy it from the inside only. Sounds like a good mission to me.

Again, this is similar to above. It's something I'm working on, and it'll work in much the same way as boarding other ships.

Thanks for the great ideas! Build 4 is now only a few days off.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Boarding actions? Awesome. Way to create hype for build 5 before build 4 is even out yet.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Boarding actions? Awesome. Way to create hype for build 5 before build 4 is even out yet.

Haha, well, it would be in this build but it's a really, really time consuming process so I've decided to hold it off a little longer (plus the cricket's on, so work is a little slower right now )

Progress:

[list]
    [*]Since I last posted, there's now an additional four fully-completed areas, including one hidden area.[/*:m]
    [*] Introduced some native alien creatures.[/*:m]
    [*] In certain areas you can now mine for Crystalline Ore, which can be sold for large sums of money at a store.[/*:m]
    [*] Four new neutral classes of spaceship, that remain neutral until you attack.[/*:m]
    [*] New weapons: laser pistol, fusion beam, pickaxe, laser rifle.[/*:m][/list:u]
    #
    Moon832 15 years ago
    Hmmm..... I was wondering if you could also build your own weapons, but you have to be a certain rank to make them. Is this possible?
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Do you mean you want an alternative to buying weapons (manufacture weapons yourself from raw materials), or in-game custom weapon creation? The former is almost certainly possible, while the latter is basically impossible (although would be possible to fudge Space Empires IV tech-grid style).
    #
    Daz_T 15 years ago
    What about (if possible) native aliens to be tamed and controlled?
    #
    Moon832 15 years ago
    Maybe you would have to set a trap so that when the aliens step on it, they will become converted to your side? Or maybe you have to throw a collar on them (like a weapon) so that they will be on your side. Can this be done? If you could make it like the Psionic's skill where you convert the enemy I guess that could work.....
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    "Moon832" said:
    Hmmm..... I was wondering if you could also build your own weapons, but you have to be a certain rank to make them. Is this possible?

Definitely possible if you take Mageking's first option. The second, impossible. Right now I'm not too sure if I'm going to even use the 'combinations' system from the original Notrium. It's a different game, and I may end up getting rid of it for simplicity, as I've got rid of the hunger bar and weight limits (the later may return in later builds however). But even if I don't actually allow you to build your own weapons in-game, you'll definitely be able to buy them based on rank, and if I get some new ideas for weapons here, it's as god as if you made them from scratch!

What about (if possible) native aliens to be tamed and controlled?

Maybe you would have to set a trap so that when the aliens step on it, they will become converted to your side? Or maybe you have to throw a collar on them (like a weapon) so that they will be on your side. Can this be done? If you could make it like the Psionic's skill where you convert the enemy I guess that could work.....

Great ideas, and ones I'm currently trying to work out. The problem so far is that I haven't got any native creatures that would be remotely suitable for taming (you'll understand when you see them ) so I haven't been able to get a good system working. But I'm working on it! The trap idea is great, and very, very doable. I'll keep you posted!
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er" said:
    fusion beam
    Based on the one in Opposing Force? Because I always thought that was the coolest visual effect.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "ZeXLR8er" said:
    fusion beam
    Based on the one in Opposing Force? Because I always thought that was the coolest visual effect.

Actually based on the one from your WII B3.1 lol, I'm not sure if you based it on the one from Opposing Force?

Progress:

[list][*] Just added new item: Dynamite, high explosive with a delayed fuse, perfect for use against ore rocks and Aliens.[/*:m][/list:u]
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    "ZeXLR8er" said:
    fusion beam

Actually based on the one from your WII B3.1 lol, I'm not sure if you based it on the one from Opposing Force?
    It's been too long for me to remember, but almost certainly.
    #
    Daz_T 15 years ago
    For the spaceship, perhaps an emergency "wormhole escape" that when used teleports you to a random part of the map for safety. eg. you are horribly outgunned and about to be shot down so you use your nifty wormhole escape device to be teleported to safety
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    "Daz_T" said:
    For the spaceship, perhaps an emergency "wormhole escape" that when used teleports you to a random part of the map for safety. eg. you are horribly outgunned and about to be shot down so you use your nifty wormhole escape device to be teleported to safety

Fantastic idea, very easily done, and I'll be able to put it into the next build.

Not Build 4 though, because I'm currently uploading it right now. Expect it to be ready in about an hour.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - Build 4 released!

After almost four years, it's finally here! Download it from the link below!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1irbdj

Also, download the Wazzal II: The Final Dawn Patch 4.02 from below (after the main mod is installed, extract over "Notrium" folder in "Program Files").
    http://www.monkkonen.net/forum/download/file.php?id=37

Build 4 is a major release, and should be fully playable. Some of the major features/changes:

[list] [*] All areas (both space and terrestrial) are now linked. So no more will you not be able to travel to a fully completed area, simply because there are no warp-gates linking them.
    [/*:m][*] There's now a total of ten fully fledged areas, two space and four terrestrial, including one hidden area
    [/*:m][*] New areas include a new type of planet/design that I am fairly sure hasn't been tried before.
    [/*:m][*] The Wolf IV interior is almost complete. There is now a large holographic training deck where you can try out your new weapons against hologram aliens and soldiers to earn experience.
    [/*:m][*] The ranks now go all the way from Ensign (50 Promotion Points) to Admiral of the Fleet (2000 Promotion Points). While the rewards for the upper ranks are not filled out, they are all achievable. When B4 is released, post your screenshots of the highest ranks you have achieved here!
    [/*:m][*] Fully usable/controllable tanks that can be used on the battlefield.
    [/*:m][*] New Alien enemy classes: Alien Battleship (devastatingly powerful laser-armed spacecraft, which also launches light and heavy Alien fighter), Alien Drone (hand-to-hand fighting Alien soldier), Elite Alien Drone (Long-range weapon Alien Soldier), Alien Tank (Powerful laser-armed all-terrain vehicle)
    [/*:m][*] New United Confederacy classes: United Confederacy Destroyer (powerful and heavily-armed combat spacecraft, launches fighters), Heavy Fighter (more heavily armed version of the Light Fighter, including launchable missiles)
    [/*:m][*] Added allied bunkers that can be used for respite from heavy fighting.
    [/*:m][*] Stores are now available in several locations: on board the Wolf IV and in bunkers.
    [/*:m][*] New items: landmines, EMP cannon, deployable Heavy and Light fighters (that can be released while in battle), Dynamite, Stealth armour, pickaxe and more.
    [/*:m][*] Added healing and energy pools on board the Wolf IV and in bunkers, which can be used for a small monetary cost.
    [/*:m][*] Bodyguards system has been re-worked, and now should function correctly.
    [/*:m][*] Introduced some native alien creatures.
    [/*:m][*] In certain areas you can now mine for Crystalline Ore, which can be sold for large sums of money at a store.
    [/*:m][*] Four new neutral classes of spaceship, that remain neutral until you attack.
    [/*:m][*] New weapons: laser pistol, fusion beam, pickaxe, laser rifle.[/*:m][/list:u]

Fixes/changes in Patch 4.02:
    [list]
    [*] By popular demand, steering is now independent from the mouse position, using Vehicle mode. Personally I don't like it, but tell me what you think[/*:m]
    [*] Pressing "Wolf IV" on the start menu no longer causes the game to crash[/*:m]
    [*] A message now appears on the game's start to inform you that you don't need to destroy the Alien battleships in the Kravaak System. [/*:m]
    [*] The holographic deck healing pools now work 400% as fast. The standard healing and energy pools now work 25% faster.[/*:m]
    [*] With just the shield activated, the Wolf IV will now regenerate energy. Try using the radar and targeting beam at the same time however and you will start losing energy as before.[/*:m]
    [*] Similarly, the Captain's battery energy bar now automatically recharges over time, making laser weapons far more productive.[/*:m]
    [*] Buy-once items such as weapons and goggles/scopes now disappear from the Store inventory, so you can't accidentally buy them twice.[/*:m]
    [*] Combat Knives are now available from the Store.[/*:m]
    [*] Rear thrusters are no longer a starting item; they now cost $10000 at the Store and require a rank of Ensign to purchase (preventing player from using them to easily escape the Kravaak System.[/*:m][/list:u]

Screenshots:

Graphics/sounds:
    ForceUser, Ville Monkkonen, Quanrian, Uberwaffe, Casanova, Armarth, MageKing17, Industriebrot

Ideas:
    ForceUser, Quanrian, Idiota, Erendor, Slyvena, MageKing17, Uberwaffe, Peter, Moon832, Daz_T

I hope everyone enjoys this. Please, give me a summary in this thread of what you like about the mod, what you don't like, what you think should be changed, any ideas for new features, and most importantly, any errors or bugs you find!

Tell me what you think, guys!
    #
    Daz_T 15 years ago
    Downloading now... this sounds great i cant wait 1 min 48 sec for this to finish d/loading!
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    I just thought I'd mention this, before I run Build 4 and forget completely... the fusion rifle was indeed based on the Opposing Force weapon; although hopefully Build 4's version drains energy more slowly, because when I tested it in 3.1, it used up all my energy in something like two seconds.
    #
    Daz_T 15 years ago
    ok after a little while of playing, i have deemed this to be very good!
    Pro's- Lots to do.
    holodeck training.
    variety of areas.
    variety in areas

Con's - Difficult (maybe i should just harden up. )
    Ship harder to fly if you were used to the build 3 style. (dont worry, you'll get used to it)
    no real bonuses until you are a second lt. (i think)

WARNING!! do NOT click wolf iv under the player races tab in the menu. this froze my computer!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    "Daz_T" said:
    ok after a little while of playing, i have deemed this to be very good!
    Pro's- Lots to do.
    holodeck training.
    variety of areas.
    variety in areas

Con's - Difficult (maybe i should just harden up. )

Thanks!

Just a heads-up: in the first area (Kravaak System) you aren't supposed to be able to beat all the Alien battleships. The aim is to simply survive and get to Kravaak A, where you meet up with the Confederate forces in the command base to the north. I don't expect you to beat 13 battleships and countless fighters on your own.

Ship harder to fly if you were used to the build 3 style. (dont worry, you'll get used to it)

Um, I don't think I've changed the ship flight since build 3? How is it working for you? If it's all working as it should, pressing the "UP" arrow should direct the Wolf towards where the cursor is, and flying while pressing "LEFT" or "RIGHT" allows to strafe.

no real bonuses until you are a second lt. (i think)

WARNING!! do NOT click wolf iv under the player races tab in the menu. this froze my computer!

Thanks for both of them. I didn't actually realise that there are no items that can be bought for the first time as Ensign, however there are bonuses for reaching that rank: "we have also fitted out your ship with brand-new radar systems, and increased your shields maximum by 10".

I'm not sure what's causing the freezing, but I'll give it a look!
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Very good. But there are some problems (although they are mainly niggles)
    The control methods for both the tanks and the Wolf IV are annoying.
    The holodeck is pretty small and restrictive. I went all the way to the end of it and couldn't get back because there was a wall of enemies
    The healing area outside the holodeck takes ages to heal you.
    There were too many enemies when you met up with the team leader in Kravaak A, he kept on being buffeted around until there were people and aliens standing on top of his text. Maybe more turrets?
    You don't get PP while driving the tank.
    That's all
    I'm looking forward to more updates. This is very good.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    (message out of date)
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Well, I have to say, the controls are seriously annoying. First thing I did was go through the data files and make sure they all set the control type to 2 (vehicle), so that flight made some remote intuitive sense (making flight relative to the cursor is a very bad idea when you're constantly moving the mouse around to fire at fast-moving hostiles at wildly varying angles).

After I changed that, however, I found the mod quite enjoyable. Although it took me reading your post to figure out what I'm supposed to do on Kravaak A. Perhaps I simply need to read journal entries more carefully, but the only thing I can (vaguely) remember was that there was a base "on the far side of the planet" or somesuch. In all of my excursions to the planet, I wound up heading east, not north.

Difficulty is quite a bit higher than I expected (and no, I wasn't trying to take on the death motherships of doom). The "damage" script (whatever it is that makes you take hull damage when your shields get knocked down) seems to be twitchy, sometimes resulting in spontaneous death if you're not paying attention (and I mean "spontaneous" as in "I was at 100 hull one second, and the next, I was looking at the game over screen"). I think it might work better if it was moved to an invisible bar (a "damage" bar) that gets subtracted first from shields, then from hull, because I feel like it would work better. I can't be sure without testing first, of course.

Shitload of enemies on Kravaak A. Now, obviously, I wasn't heading the way I was supposed to, but survival is basically impossible without first buying a couple hundred extra rounds of ammunition (in addition to collecting the 100 lying in your ship), as well as 15 medkits. On the plus side, if you can take a sufficient quantity out without dying, you can sell the hundred or so corpses you collected for a decent amount of cash (to be specific, about 5000 or so credits... 50*100, after all ), allowing you to buy more ammo and medkits.

Now, I'd really like to see energy regeneration increased for the ship, and (as far as I can tell) added at all for on foot. Now, I'm not saying you should make it so that you can have shields, radar, and the targeting beam all on at the same time and still be able to blast away with the laser cannon without a care in the world, but I would like to be able to flee my enemies with shields up without running out of power. In fact, I think that, with nothing but shields running, energy recharge ought to be what it currently is with shields off. I don't think it'll be unbalanced because you'll still have power drain in combat from firing weapons and using radar/targeting beam.

As for on foot, the laser pistol is half-useless. The whole point of energy weapons (in my opinion) ought to be that you don't have to keep running back to the ship to buy more ammunition. As it currently stands, however, the laser pistol is a downgrade from the regular pistol, because you can have 500+ rounds for the regular pistol, but your energy is stuck at a maximum of 100, and doesn't regenerate unless you head back up to the ship. Not a very worthwhile purchase.

Another thing: If it's only useful to have one of a given item, I'd like to see the option to buy it disappear from the shop. So, for example, buying the Electromagnetic Binoculars (or whatever they're called) once would make the shop no longer display it as an option, preventing you from accidentally buying it twice.

Just some thoughts after a quick bit of messing around.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 15 years ago
    OK, here's the second tiny patch (if you didn't download the first, don't worry, this includes it), fixing up some of the problems mentioned so far:

WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - Patch 4.02
    [list]
    [*] By popular demand, steering is now independent from the mouse position, using Vehicle mode. Personally I don't like it, but tell me what you think[/*:m]
    [*] Pressing "Wolf IV" on the start menu no longer causes the game to crash[/*:m]
    [*] A message now appears on the game's start to inform you that you don't need to destroy the Alien battleships in the Kravaak System. [/*:m]
    [*] The holographic deck healing pools now work 400% as fast. The standard healing and energy pools now work 25% faster.[/*:m]
    [*] With just the shield activated, the Wolf IV will now regenerate energy. Try using the radar and targeting beam at the same time however and you will start losing energy as before.[/*:m]
    [*] Similarly, the Captain's battery energy bar now automatically recharges over time, making laser weapons far more productive.[/*:m]
    [*] Buy-once items such as weapons and goggles/scopes now disappear from the Store inventory, so you can't accidentally buy them twice.[/*:m]
    [*] Combat Knives are now available from the Store.[/*:m]
    [*] Rear thrusters are no longer a starting item; they now cost $10000 at the Store and require a rank of Ensign to purchase (preventing player from using them to easily escape the Kravaak System.[/*:m][/list:u]

Download the the .zip file from the attachment, and extract to the Notrium directory!
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er" said:
    By popular demand, steering is now independent from the mouse position, using Vehicle mode. Personally I don't like it, but tell me what you think
    I can already tell you what I think, because I altered my game to use it from the start... I find it much preferable.

"ZeXLR8er" said:
    [list][*] Combat Knives are now available from the Store.[/*:m]
    Oooh. Sound like good changes.

"ZeXLR8er" said:
    [list][*] With just the shield activated, the Wolf IV will now regenerate energy. Try using the radar and targeting beam at the same time however and you will start losing energy as before.[/*:m]
    [*] Buy-once items such as weapons and goggles/scopes now disappear from the Store inventory, so you can't accidentally buy them twice.[/*:m][/list:u]
    Yay! I shall begin playing immediately.
    #
    Daz_T 15 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er" said:

Just a heads-up: in the first area (Kravaak System) you aren't supposed to be able to beat all the Alien battleships. The aim is to simply survive and get to Kravaak A, where you meet up with the Confederate forces in the command base to the north. I don't expect you to beat 13 battleships and countless fighters on your own.
    Oh no, i wasn't trying. i did indeed harden up and got over those pesky buggers.

"ZeXLR8er" said:

Um, I don't think I've changed the ship flight since build 3? How is it working for you? If it's all working as it should, pressing the "UP" arrow should direct the Wolf towards where the cursor is, and flying while pressing "LEFT" or "RIGHT" allows to strafe.
    in the build 3 i was playing the controls were absolute, with the cursor not defining the ship's orientation. this was easier for space combat allowing you to fly wherever you wanted and fire wherever you wanted. this is sorta what i expected from a laser turret on the ship, from the picture it appears to be indepently moved from the ship.
    #
    anruca 15 years ago
    Nice! Love the new additions to the mod. The aliens are pretty cool,good graphics.
    I have an idea, is it possible to make the ships come from a hyper space window? as Reinforcements for the fallen, in space.
    Will it change anything if i destroy the enemy ships in Kravaak system? or it might mess up the story?
    #
    Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: