Register
Email: Password:
Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 32
  • » next
  • WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!

    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    I'm hoping (repeat hoping) to get a beta out this week, but v1.0 won't be for quite some time; atm I've only just worked on the space combat, and haven't started on the planets yet.
    #
    michael 12 years ago
    ah well. I hope it's soon as I have just played through wazzal again and am ready to play the next one lol.

    edit I put a tag in before it is now gone.
    #
    superknijn 12 years ago
    Hey guys, im back!
    Wow, cool project, i hope it will be better than Wazzal, i didntliked it very much, the steering and such.
    #
    michael 12 years ago
    I liked wazzal a lot. it is rare to see a game like that trys to be funny
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    I'm going to try to put some humor in it.
    You'll be happy to know that the steering is greatly improved in the mod; it still has the Wazzal I feel about it, but it is far easier to control and steer.
    #
    michael 12 years ago
    yeah I remember trying to get to a planit. ooops just missed it WAIT STOP GOING THAT WAY.....ooops just missed it ect. lol
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    Yeah, its way more precise now, but still feels like Wazzal.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    Yeah, its way more precise now, but still feels like Wazzal.

    Yeah, you won't have gravity. I cannot imagine how you've made it, since the steering of the hoverbike in Notrium is painful enough for me.
    #
    michael 12 years ago
    Now it seems like if you turned on absolute direction your ships could strafe too well.
    #
    Quanrian 12 years ago
    "ville" said:
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    Yeah, its way more precise now, but still feels like Wazzal.

    Yeah, you won't have gravity. I cannot imagine how you've made it, since the steering of the hoverbike in Notrium is painful enough for me.

    The only way I can see to do gravitational pull of planets of is by having them fire a weapon in a full 360 degree that has a slight pull to it and is fairly constant. That would draw the ship near and roughly simulate a gravitional pull. You could even strengthen it for certain planets. Basically what I'd suggest is having several gravity models or weapons and simply assign to planets. A sun or a blackhole would be the strongest. You could even make the sun burn up a ship so you'd have to use gravity whips to avoid it when flying too near. This should work, unless using a pull instead of push for a bullet's collision no longer works.
    #
    michael 12 years ago
    the black hole would 1.kill you instantly 2.It would be impossable to see as it eats light
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    Black holes have a somewhat noticable slo-mo interstellar dust cloud, so you should add that.
    #
    muffinman 12 years ago
    I have a question, is the planet going to keep on moving while you are moving like Wazzal, or are they going to stay in a map. And when I mean moving, I mean orbiting.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    "ville" said:
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    Yeah, its way more precise now, but still feels like Wazzal.

    Yeah, you won't have gravity. I cannot imagine how you've made it, since the steering of the hoverbike in Notrium is painful enough for me.

    The only way I can see to do gravitational pull of planets of is by having them fire a weapon in a full 360 degree that has a slight pull to it and is fairly constant. That would draw the ship near and roughly simulate a gravitional pull. You could even strengthen it for certain planets. Basically what I'd suggest is having several gravity models or weapons and simply assign to planets. A sun or a blackhole would be the strongest. You could even make the sun burn up a ship so you'd have to use gravity whips to avoid it when flying too near. This should work, unless using a pull instead of push for a bullet's collision no longer works.
    Funny you should mention that, because I actually have that exact system implemented for the suns. The only problem I have is that if you get too close to the sun, you get hit by many 'shots' at the same time and the effect doubles up, sometimes making it impossibe to escape. One other thing is that because you are using the weapon to do the effect, you get the creatures 'hit' sound playing, which sounds really weird as you can't see the bullets.
    #
    Doogsy 12 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    The only way I can see to do gravitational pull of planets of is by having them fire a weapon in a full 360 degree that has a slight pull to it and is fairly constant. That would draw the ship near and roughly simulate a gravitional pull. You could even strengthen it for certain planets. Basically what I'd suggest is having several gravity models or weapons and simply assign to planets. A sun or a blackhole would be the strongest. You could even make the sun burn up a ship so you'd have to use gravity whips to avoid it when flying too near. This should work, unless using a pull instead of push for a bullet's collision no longer works.
    I tried using this as a force feild to keep aliens from entering an area, however it seemed really buggy and slowed the game down due to so many bullets being fired at a very high refire rate. But It may work better for drawing in than it does for pushing out.
    "micheal" said:
    the black hole would 1.kill you instantly 2.It would be impossable to see as it eats light
    The black hole would only kill you if you land on it and although you cant see the blackhole, you can see the debris which orbits it (often matter from a nearby sun, which is still burning) and blackholes also spew out matter in jets which stretch tens of ligh years. Thats how many black holes have been detected, by observing these jets
    #
    Casanova 12 years ago
    I tried using this as a force feild to keep aliens from entering an area, however it seemed really buggy and slowed the game down due to so many bullets being fired at a very high refire rate. But It may work better for drawing in than it does for pushing out.

    How about if you use effect 24 set it to fire in the direction of the nearest enemy? With a high fire rate and fast turn rate, i think you can simulate the effect without slowing the game so much.
    #
    michael 12 years ago
    the black hole would have killer gravity.
    #
    Doogsy 12 years ago
    Thanks Cassanova, I will try that.
    I was also thinking, is it all that bad that as you get closer to the sun that the gravity gets stronger, cause thats what happens anyway.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    Yes, but you actually get stuck there so you can never get out again. Not a situation I would like to get into; stuck up against a sun being burnt to smithereens.
    #
    Doogsy 12 years ago
    i see your point. It could be hard getting the ai to move around with gravity too, as they don't know its there.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    Yes, it looks weird having several ships bobbing around the sun, not able to escape.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Casanova's idea has the most merit if you want to implement gravity. Just make the planet creature fire only towards the player. Make it friendly towards the AI, that way it wouldn't fire at the AI. If double hits of gravitons are a problem, you can always put some sort of a flag bar: hit_by_graviton_in_last_second
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    Ah, thanks Ville, I'll give the bar idea a go.
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    So far in your mod, is it possible for that pull to make you orbit the planet? Would it slingshot you?
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    Nono, its no way near that advanced yet.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    I've just posted the first beta here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium/mod/Wazzal2/Wazzal%20II%20v0.1b.zip">http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium/mod/Wa ... 0v0.1b.zip</a><!-- m -->

    [edit] Tested it now. This is just too cool! I'm going to post news on this straight away.

    The flying of the ship is great, although a bit funny considering the main thrusters don't always point where you move. Have you tried how the control system from the hoverbike would work?

    Maybe you could make the asteroids creatures? That way they could drift slowly, and be affected by weapons. No, wait, the AI might be just a bit too slow for that kind of payload. It's worth a test anyway.

    The lasers were outstanding! Great work on them. A bit underpowered against the red ships, but there's no sense in trying to balance them yet.

    All in all, you've laid a very promising groundwork. Now I command you all to test it and tell Zex your ideas.
    #
    Click 12 years ago
    It's definatly amazing, though the red ships always kicked my butt. Is there an ending currently?

    Some of my suggestions are that there be slightly more missles and have the lasers do more damage. I loved the part where you could blow up missles.





    Heres me bravely taking on four alien ships, though getting my butt whooped in the process:

    #
    michael 12 years ago
    why did you skip the alpha?
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    I just wanted to say that I am so happy someone finally made this. I beleive we were talking about something like this on the Wazzal forum, but I wasn't sure if I would have to go and make this myself. Thanks for doing it for me, maybe I can use this to springboard my own mod...
    #
    Doogsy 12 years ago
    This is great Zex. The controls were a little awkward at first but you get used to them. Having lots of systems to explore ect will be great and I can't wait for the completion. I hope you have a good story planned. The sun looks great and I love how the asteroids spin. One thing I did notice is that the click sounds are in the menu are replaced. I think this might be a code bug though. Keep up the good work.
    EDIT: The sounds are actually overridden in game for all the mods
    why did you skip the alpha?
    Alpha's are not usually released. In software terms, an alpha is tested by the the development team only, and not released to the public, a beta is a public release, but usually only to a small group of people.
    #
    Murska 12 years ago
    I think you should give more fuel cells, there were 6 aliens chasing me with lasers and two more came from front... BAUM!


    And make t so that if you have the key to get to starmap, you sometimes lose it and have to find it on planet...
    #
    ZeXLR8er 12 years ago
    Gee, thanks guys, I never thought I'd get this kind of response!

    "ville" said:
    The flying of the ship is great, although a bit funny considering the main thrusters don't always point where you move. Have you tried how the control system from the hoverbike would work?
    I've tried the hoverbike control, but it means that you can fire your guns at any angle, not just at the front, which looks a bit silly.
    BTW, an important note:

    Play the mod with the controls set at RELATIVE!!!

    When I release v0.2b I'll add an automatic overide of the controls so nomatter what you have set in the game options, it'll go to relative, but for now, just change it to get the desired wazzal-like fell.
    "ville" said:
    Maybe you could make the asteroids creatures? That way they could drift slowly, and be affected by weapons. No, wait, the AI might be just a bit too slow for that kind of payload. It's worth a test anyway.
    I tried making all the asteroids creatures, and it actually doesn't so much slow down the game, but because Notrium can only AI controll the nearest ???30??? creatures to the player, so you get the enemy ships stopping, even when they are on screen.
    "ville" said:
    The lasers were outstanding! Great work on them. A bit underpowered against the red ships, but there's no sense in trying to balance them yet.
    Great, thanks! Yes, I'm going to balance 'em out as soon as I've added all the main enemies and set up the weapon classes.
    "ville" said:
    All in all, you've laid a very promising groundwork. Now I command you all to test it and tell Zex your ideas.
    See guys, that's a command from Ville!! Hear and obey!!
    "click" said:

    It's definatly amazing, though the red ships always kicked my butt. Is there an ending currently?

    Some of my suggestions are that there be slightly more missles and have the lasers do more damage. I loved the part where you could blow up missles.
    Yep, there's an ending, but its pretty hard to get to ass there is so many ships. The lasers will be balanced out later, and you'll be able to buy missiles on the planets. And yes, I really like the ECM system too, it actually works!
    "doogsy" said:

    This is great Zex. The controls were a little awkward at first but you get used to them. Having lots of systems to explore ect will be great and I can't wait for the completion. I hope you have a good story planned. The sun looks great and I love how the asteroids spin. One thing I did notice is that the click sounds are in the menu are replaced. I think this might be a code bug though. Keep up the good work.
    EDIT: The sounds are actually overridden in game for all the mods
    Hmm, I'll look into this. What do you mean exactly? The sounds should be installing to their own folder.
    "murska" said:
    I think you should give more fuel cells, there were 6 aliens chasing me with lasers and two more came from front... BAUM!
    And make t so that if you have the key to get to starmap, you sometimes lose it and have to find it on planet...
    The fuel cells are replenishable; every time you use one, another is randomly dropped somewhere on the map. There are always at least 6 fuel cells at all times.
    and great idea for the map, I'll use it.


    Keep up the comments and ideas, now that you've seen my plans it should be easier to give ideas.

    #
    Eternal 12 years ago
    Very nice zex, I like the friction-less-ness . I've played it a bit and here are some of the problems I've encountered:

    - Missiles take 4+ hits to die (with laser)?
    - The enemy ships seem to have no energy limit? That's probably not the case, but it gets hard to dodge a constant stream of lasers.
    - Temperature seems kinda useless atm, considering theres only one heat source.

    Also, how are you going to do the dialog? Personally that's what put me off the most (that and setting up all the 'quests') from making any rpg elements.
    #
    Casanova 12 years ago
    It looks pretty good so far, and I just have some small sugestions.

    -The red ships seem to turn anound too slowly for their speed, and sometimes they just kept on going around in circles around me because they just couldnt get to face in my direction.

    -I think it would look better if the ships were a bit smaller.

    - I definitively think that the controls should be set to 'vehicle', and to fix the lasers, you could use a weapon place holder that when fired uses effect 24 to fire a laser that come from the front of the ship.
    #
    cristallion 12 years ago
    is the gravety already implanted couse the asterioids move to me and i don't move to the sun
    #
    Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 32
  • » next
  • Post Reply


    Your email:
    Your name: