Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Game is decent but could be better if..

Game is decent but could be better if..

Macyo (guest) 11 years ago
If ville and Anne switched roles in development it might be better because I found the dialogue and quests to be soo girlish and very strong taint of carebear hehe.

But still a decent game which I dont say about many games so good job.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Just as long as you don't mention Barney (the purple/pink dinosaur). Carebear? Yeah, I think I could live with some of that. They're pretty cool and cuddly.

Hmmm, interesting point to consider, but let's face the facts:
If I stepped into Ville's coding shoes, started learning C++ today, and we'd get started on an awesome, new project, you might see a dot moving from one end of the screen to the other ...in about two years. Or you might not. But fret not, that dot would have a whole bunch of brilliantly non-girlish and piraty things to say!

You're right: If you ask me, Ville is a very good writer. In fact, he's written as much dialogue in Driftmoon as I have, maybe more. Ville is the main developer, I'm just his (deviously influential) sidekick, with some game development time to spare, at least every once in a while.

And yes, Driftmoon really is quite different from mainstream RPGs, but I think both Ville and I like to keep it that way.
#
ville 11 years ago
You have to embrace your feminine side. Seriously though, is it really noticeable that there's a woman in the writing team?
#
Macyo (guest) 11 years ago
haha yeah, not sure if I thought of women immediatly but it really felt like i was playing a game made up from a little girls fantasy lol... i was like "what the hell.." xD like one of those stories parents read to their kids before bedtime xD

Im really more into evil and darkness xD always rooting for the bad guys in games if I cant be the bad guy myself xD

I really like the art tho, not sure about the topdown camera, would of been nice if it was angled just a bit so all i see isnt a hat of every character xD slightly exagerated btw

even tho this game is indy it has a pro look to it unlike most other rpgs that gets released like avadon for example that looks like an rpg made 20 years ago lol.
#
MageKing17 11 years ago
ville said:
You have to embrace your feminine side. Seriously though, is it really noticeable that there's a woman in the writing team?
No. Ignore the sexist idiot, Anne!
#
ville 11 years ago
Actually, the reason Driftmoon is a kind-hearted game is not because there's a girl on the writing team, but because we felt that there were too many games with blood-dripping dragons, not to mention the macho-talk. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but it's a bit difficult to differentiate from that market. So we opted to make a more whimsical game, sort of a thinking man/woman's roleplaying game. My big inspiration for writing in the game has been Planescape: Torment, not only because of the excellent setting, but because of the sheer variance of characters in it.
#
Motoki 11 years ago
I think any criticism is worth considering but that being said I personally really like the style of this game as is. There are so many games out there already that are dark so it's nice to have something that isn't.

To me this game has its roots in more classic CRPGs. In particular I see Ultima influence in Driftmoon which for me is a great thing because Ultima 7 is my favorite game of all time. In Ultima the style was whimsical and you would meet all sorts of colorful characters. I suppose this is a style that you don't see as much anymore so it's not surprising that younger gamers or people who might be newer to CRPGs would not be expecting it.

I've never created full games but I have worked on mods. My rule for modding was that I always made something that I myself would enjoy and want to play. I think that Ville and Anne are doing the same with Driftmoon from all the comments I've read. The game really plays like a labor of love, like people cared about it and really put effort into it as opposed to say making yet another Diablo clone because that's what they think people will want. I really appreciate the effort they put into this game.

With regard to having a female writer, I think that's great and I wish more game developers would do that or at least have a woman consult on their thoughts of the game. I'm a male myself and while I enjoy games made from developers like CD Projekt and Piranha Bytes, sometimes their games are so sexist it really makes me want to cringe and I think 'Somebody please get these guys a female writer!'.

In closing I will just say again that while it's good to at least consider all opinions and feedback, I love the game as is and think the tone and writing are great.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Thanks Motoki, very nice of you to comment! You're exactly right, by the way. We're definitely aiming at making Driftmoon the sort of game we ourselves really like playing.

Naturally we don't assume all people to share our taste - there's bound to be players who really prefer their games to be gloomy, and bloody. For them, Driftmoon might not be the best choice.

But judging from how fun we've had now that we've been beta testing the complete beta build ourselves, it seems we've done something right. And if we could just erase our memories of all those fun things we've put in the game, we'd be in for a real treat.
#
Forum » Game is decent but could be better if..

Your email:
Your name: