Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Do we or will we earn some money from making mods?

Do we or will we earn some money from making mods?

Macyo (guest) 11 years ago
Making a mod takes a lot of time and effort, what do we get out of doing that so other players can enjoy the mod and your game?
#
you could make it so the mod makers can choose to put a price in their mods if other players want to play the mods..
But then you must let us be able to make demos for our mods too.

and we get maybe 70% or atleast 50% of the money
#
ville 11 years ago
We've had a couple of requests for being able to ask a price for a mod, and I'm all for it, especially if it's a good mod, or even a new game. So if you're planning a commercial work, do get in touch (either ville@monkkonen.net or the forums), and we can discuss your plans. So far a couple of teams have been interested in making a mod for sale, I hope they can go through with their plans.
#
Anne 11 years ago
And you can rest assured we'll definitely NOT ask for 50% of the money from your mod. Even though it's made with the Driftmoon editor, it's a lot of work to make your own game so a much smaller cut seems appropriate for us. (See, you were right on, we really are a bit like Carebears! )
Edited 11 years ago
#
Nice, that's really cool!
I really like how easy you have made it to make mods too.

I think I will wait a while though so I can get a better idea of what expectations I can have on sales of making a mod.

Right now the existing free mods have about 300 on avg? downloads and like avg 10 likes per mod.
But you still haven't been greenlit by steam so that will increase customers by a lot.

Is it possible to see how many people bought your game?

Only bad thing is that it will be 3 parties splitting money from mods..
The mod maker, ville+anne, and steam.

But it's still ok i think because making a mod for this game is cake walk compared to making your own game.
#
ville 11 years ago
I've been hoping to release some sales data once the game has been out for a few months, but it depends a lot on some of the deals we make with resale channels. The mod downloads don't really give a good indicator about the sales of the main game, but they might tell you a bit about how many players a mod can expect. But you have to wait until it's been out for a few months to get any real idea of course.

Frankly, if I were making a good mod with Driftmoon, I'd want to sell it as a separate game - that way you'd get the ability to sell it on your own through many more channels. And we're ready for that too, if your mod is serious enough, we can make it a separate game with your own logos and customizations.
#
Forum » Do we or will we earn some money from making mods?

Your email:
Your name: