Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Impalpable Eidolon (Version 0.9 Under Development)
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Impalpable Eidolon (Version 0.9 Under Development)

Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Toko" said:
    whene is the demo relesed?

When it's ready I've still got quite a bit to do. I'm probably going to do just one boss however and only for Hard. So that way if you want to see the entire mod you'll have to get better at it.
    #
    UberWaffe 19 years ago
    I have not yet played any demo or build of this mod but it looks (and sounds) like a real earth-smasher. I can't wait to see the side-view game in action, it is mind boggling just to think of how you modded this.

Question: In the game, is it possible to turn around? If so you could always add certain 'stages' where you have to fight two enemies, coming from both sides. But I am guessing that you can't, it would require too much work. (But if you did, then WOW )

I'll definitely be watching the forums and mods sections for a demo of this. (But all good things come to those who wait, so I won't mind waiting. )
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "UberWaffe" said:
    I have not yet played any demo or build of this mod but it looks (and sounds) like a real earth-smasher. I can't wait to see the side-view game in action, it is mind boggling just to think of how you modded this.

Question: In the game, is it possible to turn around? If so you could always add certain 'stages' where you have to fight two enemies, coming from both sides. But I am guessing that you can't, it would require too much work. (But if you did, then WOW )

I'll definitely be watching the forums and mods sections for a demo of this. (But all good things come to those who wait, so I won't mind waiting. )

Well until than you can always go check out my old game Quibbles There is a link on the last page of the thread in the Projects Corner section of the Forum. Who knows what else you might find
    #
    Toko 19 years ago
    give us new sreenshot....PLZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Toko" said:
    give us new sreenshot....PLZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

You're aware you can just download it ? They'll show you better than any screenshots. I haven't officially said where the link is, but I've pretty strongly hinted at where it is
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well I think I've finally got a solid idea for what the end boss will be. As for doing two bosses, that's not as likely, and they'll probably more than likely be at the ends of a section. Most of what is left now is really just finalizing the demo. There is also apparently a strange glitch with 1.34 pr where walking backwards causes the animation to freeze while the player slides. It looks pretty horrible so I'm gonna try and fix that, but I may just have to wait.

I'm posting the link for the latest build of the mod. If the link doesn't work for you I'm sorry, that's just geocities for you. Do not direct link to the download. Please go to the webpage itself and download from there. There are some minor problems like walking animation suddenly not work on version 1.34 pre release, but it should work more or less flawlessly on 1.33. Either way it's still entirely playable on both versions.

Latest Impalpable Eidolon Build
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    For anyone who has had problems obtaining the build from geocities, I'd like you to know that Ville is now hosting the file for me. You'll find it on the front page. The description will be updated along with the logo once Ville checks his mail and reads his private messages
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    Quanrian, what is wrong with you? A TRIPLE post. tsk.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    They are days apart. When you edit a post it doesn't update it as a new post in the forum. So if he wants people to release he's added something he must add a new post.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Please stay on topic and if you feel you need to bring up my posting habits in my own thread, please private message me.

On an up note Ville has kindly updated the download page for Impalpable Eidolon, nothing much has changed except my banner and description is now in place of the filler text and banner he previously was using. I'd like to thank Ville for setting it all up I've also set up the banner in my signature so anyone can just click and go right to the download since I don't really have an official site.
    #
    Unc1354m 19 years ago
    Woah.. great , But i just cant imagine how you tweaked Notriums engine into a 2D mod, amazing
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Unc1354m" said:
    Woah.. great , But i just cant imagine how you tweaked Notriums engine into a 2D mod, amazing

Tweaked is actually a really good word for how the mod works. I'm sure the experienced modders on the forum would have figured it out on their own, but now they're have some kind of template to work off and improve on even. Right now what is there is pretty base stuff. When I'm done with the demo I might try and slap together a template version of the mod so other people can create their own versions, but for now that's a ways off and it would require me going through and annotating everything.

In other news while I would to post a newer version soon I am going to have to wait till a more stable pre-release is put out for version 1.34. In the least I need the walking animation glitch resolved. So in the mean time I'll try and post any signifigant progress I've made and the next version should be a good bit better looking in the least from the last.

Here's a list of the couple things I've managed recently and should appear in the next version unless something goes heinously wrong.

[list][*]Used the new collision nulling specialty to allow the player to overlap an enemy and therefor get closer, much closer, before being shoved away. This should help relieve any annoyances that are a result of the collision. Example of an annoyance would be getting slightly too close as you go to punch and being shoved away and missing because of it.[/*:m]
    [*]Added in unique rain and the beginning of lighting for all of the areas, may be tweaked in even later versions. These aren't the run of mill particles and they each add an extra bit of ambiance to the section they belong to. One of the rain systems in particular is actually an easter egg [/*:m]
    [*]I've been working out how the boss will be set up and even what it will be. I'm pretty much done with the majority of the planning so it's highly likely that you'll see some incarnation of the boss at the end of Hard difficulty in the upcoming version.[/*:m][/list:u]

I appreciate the feedback I've been getting. Now that the mod is actually out there I'll be alot more willing to divulge things since I didn't want to say one thing and than end up eating my words, though I'll probably do that anyways, because they're tasty So if anything has been really nagging you about something I did in the mod, something you can't figure out, form it into a ledgible question and I'll try and be as vague, err descriptive as I can be, seriously
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I've been trying to figure out lightning for a while now. I tried using the light level addition and setting all values to 1 but it didn't seem to work very well.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well in the mod the lighting is all static, it's basically just to provide a tint over everything. So really it was just a matter of getting the color I wanted right. I was going to do time of day changes and I still might, but I'm not sure. Your best chance is to refer to the Modding FAQ, I actually had Ville correct and confirm my information was correct.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Do you mind if anyone mods Impalpable Eidolon? Just as people mod the main game, somebody's bound to want to release an Impalpable Eidolon expansion pack or some such. Also, why the crazy name?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Marevix" said:
    Do you mind if anyone mods Impalpable Eidolon? Just as people mod the main game, somebody's bound to want to release an Impalpable Eidolon expansion pack or some such. Also, why the crazy name?

Nope, I quite expect people to use it somewhat as a template. As for the name, I spent a whole night thinking up a new name, thumbing through a thesaurus to find the words that would best encapsulate the meaning of the mod as a whole. Believe it or not Impalpable Eidolon did it. I know it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, at all lol, but it's what I settled on. The original name was called Qwazy Fighter, it was ok for a while, but once I started getting more serious I wanted a more serious name.
    #
    Unc1354m 19 years ago
    Lol. i can hardly pronounce it.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Unc1354m" said:
    Lol. i can hardly pronounce it.
    I don't see what's so hard about it. "Impalpable Eidolon."

Im-pal-puh-bull A-duh-lon

That is, of course, my attempt at writing down pronounciation. Also, it's American pronounciation.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well if you look them up you'll see why I used them I could used something more catchy I suppose, but than again what's in a name really ? I'm not trying to sell it and I can be assured that no one is using the name because it's not too generic. Also I'm very weird and I like weird things
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Thankfully my progress isn't based of forum feedback I'm getting fairly far along with the boss and it should be very different from the other enemies once it is done. It's roughly based on some old school side-scroller bosses.

After some feedback I've decided as well to go back to my original format of just one enemy type per section. This will allow for a more or less uniform way to keep track of the score and grade and award it accordingly. As planned the finished version will still be a demo. However, it will simply be a demo because the mod that it will become may be drastically different in more ways the one, so it would be unfair to say the eventual final release of Eidolon will be what you see now, as it wont.

In some other news I've already been offered the assistance of a talented (or so I hope) sprite editor. So you may see a different graphic style used later instead of pre-rendered graphics. This is not definate, but if it does happen than the mod will a decidedly old school beat-em look in the vein of River City Ransom, or if you're familiar with it, Little Fighter 2 for the PC.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    In some other news I've already been offered the assistance of a talented (or so I hope) sprite editor. So you may see a different graphic style used later instead of pre-rendered graphics. This is not definate, but if it does happen than the mod will a decidedly old school beat-em look in the vein of River City Ransom, or if you're familiar with it, Little Fighter 2 for the PC.
    I've downloaded that same editor, I think. I maily use it to create the shapes of the graphics I make myself (a select few). I like the interface. It's easy to understand and you should all try it out. The downside is the fact the helpfile is written in japanese. If there is someone whos speaks Japanese, I'm sure he'll like the (freeware!) program.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    I've downloaded that same editor, I think. I maily use it to create the shapes of the graphics I make myself (a select few). I like the interface. It's easy to understand and you should all try it out. The downside is the fact the helpfile is written in japanese. If there is someone whos speaks Japanese, I'm sure he'll like the (freeware!) program.

I actually meant a friend I chat with called Havok Creator lol. He's a member of the forum for a while, just not very active. What you're referring to, and probably thought I meant was the program I mentioned in one of the modding threads called Graphicsgale. I actually haven't used it very much, but other than the help being in Japanese it seems to be a decent program to just pick up and use and it's entirely free. Havok actually has way more experience as he uses it create sprites for Little Fighter 2.

In other news I put up a new poll to help me decide which new attack the player will earn during the demo. I'm probably going to base it on points which will be ALOT easier now that I've gotten rid of the random spawned enemies (sorry if anyone liked this). Both of the new moves will be very kewl and I plan on adding them both and forsee no problems, I am only unsure of which to give the player first. A small hint is that you probably wont be able to earn either on Easy Something else I could use feedback on is if you guys think Hard is hard enough without less health ?
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I voted for the combo attack, but if your going to add them both, then it doesn't matter. But add combo first.
    Maybe if you had more health (normal health) on hard, but lost more health when you were attacked, say 30 instead of 20, but the health pickups still only gave you 20.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I'd rather not do that, simply because the creature's entries are already getting very big. It's just easier to make the player's bar shorter or longer, its length never changes, but the amount its worth does. So it looks the same till you lose health and doesn't require any extra checking. How about I just not give health pickups at all on hard, but make the bar the same amount ?

The boss should be harder than any of the individual enemies, but I doubt anyone is going to have trouble beating it. I'm basically trying to polish things up now, like replacing all the filler sound effects, finally did a death animation for the Sandking(don't know how I didn't notice it for this long) and adding flare to other stuff. If all goes as planned the next version I put out should be the near final if not final version of the demo. Anything else anyone wants and is within practical limits, this is a good time to throw your idea out and maybe even get a credit
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    hmm, I don't like the idea of no health pickups. Maybe if they're less frequent, but don't stop them all together.
    Maybe on easy mode too, the player could slowly regain health.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    hmm, I don't like the idea of no health pickups. Maybe if they're less frequent, but don't stop them all together.
    Maybe on easy mode too, the player could slowly regain health.

No you misunderstood me. Only no health pickups on hard. I'd simply add a condition so they can't show up on hard, very simple. You'd still have the full health though. So it'd be alot more about survival. I've thought about health regain on easy, but it's only one section long
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    One problem I do forsee is people quicksaving before every fight and restarting if they get hit. Otherwise its problably an ok idea.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    One problem I do forsee is people quicksaving before every fight and restarting if they get hit. Otherwise its problably an ok idea.

That's a small problem, but I still believe plenty will play it as it was meant to be. I mean heck when I load up Streets of Rage 3 I cannot beat that without using the save state on the emulator lol. Alright, well since no one else seems to have had any opinion on it I'm just going to remove the health pickups for Hard only.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    or if you're familiar with it, Little Fighter 2 for the PC.
    I love that game. Making Impalpable Eidolon like it would be hard, but ****in' awesome. The coding neccessary to come that close would be **** hard to make, but I think some of the more eccentric modders could try it...
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Quanrian" said:
    or if you're familiar with it, Little Fighter 2 for the PC.
    I love that game. Making Impalpable Eidolon like it would be hard, but ****in' awesome. The coding neccessary to come that close would be **** hard to make, but I think some of the more eccentric modders could try it...

I actually have theories on how it can be done. Now should the theories actually pan out than it could easily surpass Little Fighter 2 as there is more diverse support. Anyone who has modded LF2 may well know it can be very rigid in what you can do. Just the fact you could have an inventory, combine, drop, ect, would be fantastic.

I make no claims to having figured it out, but than again did you ever think you'd be seeing a side scroller made from the Notrium engine either ? All in all I plan to work as I have and gradually create something more or less stable that can be used as a foundation. Right now my main focus is to finish up the mod, which is really just a demo of what is possible. I certainly have more material, but that would very much be like creating Notrium since it would very much be an entire game unto itself.

-new-

I've decided to post some new screenshots so you guys/gals can see how things have changed.

This is simply an updated look at the first sub-area.
    First Sub Area

This is right after beating a Sand Woman and she goes up in flames and than smokes out. The death animation is new. You might notice a green hue to the sub-area and something interesting in the background for the brainy types to try and decipher
    Second Sub Area

This is a preview of the boss at the end of the third sub-area. That skull is one phase of its attack.
    Final Boss

I hope you guys enjoy those screenshots
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I've got enough done now that I figure it's time to release a new version.

Additions or changes to this version.

Boss is added at end of 3rd Sub-Area. This isn't entirely finished, and so it may be tweaked later. I apologize for how dull it is. I'll let you guys figure out how to beat him, but asking may provide answers as well

Enemies are no longer random, but there is a tougher enemy at the end of the first and second sub-area to help cap them off.

Sand Woman and SandKing now have a slightly shorter delay between their readying frame and their actual damage frame, making combat faster paced.

Sand Woman and SandKing now have more health and thus take longer to defeat.

Health Bonuses are not given on Hard difficulty and as such it functions more as a survival mode, giving an increased challenge.

Many new particle effects were used to add some flare.

Lighting was tweaked for each sub-area.

Punch was changed from Q to D key. I find it tad uncomfortable compared to Q so feedback on this may result in me changing it back. It's a bit more logical, but seemingly less ergonomic as a result.

Boss version of SandKing has an extra combo attack, beware

Whirlwinds will now spawn when an enemy is around or not. This especially makes the final sub-area signifigantly more frantic and faster paced.

Many sounds were changed and even a few new ones have been added. No more explosion sound for everything

Sandking now has a death animation and the Sand Woman has a new one. Death animations were also slowed down to show their detail a bit more.

I can't think of anything more, so without further delay here is the link. This version WILL NOT work properly with 1.33, in fact I believe it will crash. Please make sure you have the second pre-release of Notrium 1.34 to run this mod properly, not 1.34 prerelease.

Impalpable Eidolon Version 0.8 I'm using Casanova's FTP for this version so there shouldn't be any problems downloading it.

If you want some screenshots look at my above post. Feedback is always appreciated. Once I get in everything was planned I will probably be very willing to add any requests for additions. I'm holding back on having this version posted until a stable version of 1.34 is released.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I cant get past the first enemy. I try to get as close to it before punching it, but it doesnt seem to take damage and wasnt doing the block animation. On easy, at the most I landed 2 hits on it befre dying.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    I cant get past the first enemy. I try to get as close to it before punching it, but it doesnt seem to take damage and wasnt doing the block animation. On easy, at the most I landed 2 hits on it befre dying.

There is a range you need to be within and if you're too close or too far away you wont hit. I was aware of it being a major problem. I might take it out anyways and just make it so you need to be close enough. For now Casanova, just back up, right where your punch looks like it connects with them is the right range to hit them. I appreciate the feedback since no one had said anything about that yet, well at least not how you worded it.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    I have a lot of trouble with this game. I'm pretty much clueless as to when any hits are connecting.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "roburky" said:
    I have a lot of trouble with this game. I'm pretty much clueless as to when any hits are connecting.

If you're hit successfully, the screen will shake, so that's a big hint right there, as well losing some health. The hit while blocking is a lesser screen shake and you regain a good chunk of stamina. When you hit the enemy, they should flicker and when you hit their block basically nothing happens lol. I intend to use a help screen, actually I always did, I just am not going to make it till I'm almost done because it's going to use graphics that aren't done yet like counter and combo attacks. I'm even thinking about adding a low block so you don't duck to block low.

Are you having trouble lining up your attack like Casanova ? I don't want to make the mod easy, since it isn't supposed to be, but I certainly don't want the difficulty coming from things like hokey collision detection. I really need specifics like what Casanova said about how he is playing to help me narrow it down. Without specifics I'm really just taking shots in the dark at why you're getting the results you are and how I can possibly fix them so it's more enjoyable and of course playable.
    #
    Forum » Impalpable Eidolon (Version 0.9 Under Development)
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: