Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Opposing Force
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Opposing Force

Casanova 19 years ago
    That would be fine on most cases, exept that it woulnt make sence that grenades can be thrown inside a roofed building. Maybe this can be prevented from happening by placing different types of walls, one being a plot object and the other a prop.
    #
    Rokan'sharp'claw 19 years ago
    Hey great mod Cassanova its really great I have beaten the beta and can't wait for the alpha but there is only one problem I can say its the medics they just don't quite do the job right they are lifesavers when they get it right but I usally just use medic packs
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    how many missions have you planned Cas? and oh I don't think you should enable Tank Race selection
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "B0rsuk" said:
    Idea how to make handgrenades.

Each grenade is a creature. Tactic - do nothing. Shortly after being spawned, you make them use push effect once. Now to make them move at progressively slower speed, you should make them fire a weapon with knockback constantly.
    This knockback thingy would make them even bounce off obstacles, unfortunately always at 180 deg.

Then it's just a matter of tweaking the numbers, death time, knockback values.... and inserting something nasty into death block.

Should work, but not tested. I will implement it into my medieval mod some day.
    Wouldn't it be true that you wouldn't need the knockback weapon, since the single push effect would make it move then slow down?
    #
    "Thaimodz" said:
    how many missions have you planned Cas? and oh I don't think you should enable Tank Race selection

I agree it makes it to easy and a bit less fun in mine opinion
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "B0rsuk" said:
    Idea how to make handgrenades.

Each grenade is a creature. Tactic - do nothing. Shortly after being spawned, you make them use push effect once. Now to make them move at progressively slower speed, you should make them fire a weapon with knockback constantly.
    This knockback thingy would make them even bounce off obstacles, unfortunately always at 180 deg.

Then it's just a matter of tweaking the numbers, death time, knockback values.... and inserting something nasty into death block.

Should work, but not tested. I will implement it into my medieval mod some day.
    Wouldn't it be true that you wouldn't need the knockback weapon, since the single push effect would make it move then slow down?

Ill try out your idea, but first Ill need to find a way for it not to fire the knockback weapon once its supposed to stop because it hit a wall.

"Thaimodz" said:

I plan to have one mission per beta so those who are testing it get to check the gameplay and help me balance things out. There is going to be one more beta, and then a semi-complete version with at least 10 missions. The tank isnt supposed to be selectable, so it wont show up there anymore.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    Mageking is right, single push effect is enough. Pushing is not continuous, after all.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Ill just leave it the way it is. Having it use a single push means that it can't be stoped so it lands at the position of the cursor since effect 1 only changes the walking speed.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    Ill just leave it the way it is. Having it use a single push means that it can't be stoped
    That's not true.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    Psionic uses push effect for psionic dash. And he can't pass thru walls.
    So pushed creature deffinitely can be stopped.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I meant that if it hits the wall at an angle it will keep on sliding thru its sides, thats what im trying to fix.
    #
    Can I use some of your music Cass?it is really good and I will include you in the credits.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Go ahead, thought it isnt my music. Its from an old video game called 'Book of Ys' or something like that.
    #
    "Casanova" said:
    Go ahead, thought it isnt my music. Its from an old video game called 'Book of Ys' or something like that.
    Lol I see here I thought you could make your own sounds and stuff well thanx anyway I will put you in.
    #
    Peter 19 years ago
    How it looks with the work with next wersion?
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Its getting there, little by little. The bad thing about trying to do something original is the long time spend debugging things.
    #
    I just can't wait for you to get your mod done Cass everytime I go on browsing I always hope you finnished it it is really go can't wait plz hurry
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Must have spent two hours debugging why your dual wielded weapons don't work. The reason is that you have this in your item 99 conditions:
    37;//condition number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2

Sometimes the weapon is fired after you've already let go of the button. The condition prevented the second weapon from being activated, thus resulting in no weapon after you've let go of the left mouse button.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    The reason for that condition is there is to prevent the player from equiping that item manually. Otherwise when scrolling weapons with the scroll-wheel, the dual handguns will show twise. Setting the item not to use a slot number fixes this problem, but then that makes the ammo counter flicker when the weapon is shot.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    Its getting there, little by little. The bad thing about trying to do something original is the long time spend debugging things.

This is a very good and I'm glad you're taking the time to release a stable version. I'd be lying if I said I expect alot from you and I think Opposing Forces does Modding to Notrium some real justice. On a more personal level I look forward to playing the next version as I often play the mod inbetween breaks of debugging my own mod I found your dual weapons as close as anyone has gotten to what I've done with my mod, so it may help if you look at how I did the animation incase it does help you solve your own problem(keep in mind I'm horrible at annotating my work).
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I haven't made a public release yet because I just keep on finding two more glitches for every bug I fix.

The newest bugs found:

-Some weapons fire extremely fast when the game is played on different computers.
    -The mech can fire an endless stream of homing rockets if the zoom function is used ( zooming causes player not to beshown on the screen)
    -Large creatures (like tank) get stuck on thin walls.
    - Small creatures sometimes getting stuck in the area joining two walls togheter (and there are lots of walls).
    -Creatures that can go through walls still try to go around them.
    - Exiting a vehicle near a wall will sometimes land the player on the other side.

And I have yet to add custom armor classes and ailment/boost stats. *Shudders*

Anyways, enough of my whining. If someone want to help me with the debugging, here is a link to the latest build:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://casanova.trap17.com/OP_test.rar">http://casanova.trap17.com/OP_test.rar</a><!-- m -->

Not much to do exept test the new weapons and stuff. There is plenty of cannon fodder to the south of the starting location.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    -Some weapons fire extremely fast when the game is played on different computers.

This could be due to your weird system of scripts controlling the semiautomatic firing. I think one could live with this.

"Casanova" said:
    -The mech can fire an endless stream of homing rockets if the zoom function is used ( zooming causes player not to beshown on the screen)

Sounds bad, I'll have a look.

"Casanova" said:
    -Large creatures (like tank) get stuck on thin walls.

I'll have a look at this too.

"Casanova" said:
    - Small creatures sometimes getting stuck in the area joining two walls togheter (and there are lots of walls).

Try overlapping the walls a bit. And try using a more smooth polygon for the collision detection, not the rectangle, but something with less sharp angles.

"Casanova" said:
    -Creatures that can go through walls still try to go around them.

This will be fixed in the upcoming version.

"Casanova" said:
    - Exiting a vehicle near a wall will sometimes land the player on the other side.

This cannot be fixed, sadly.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I fixed the mech endless firing bug. Apparently none of the plot_objects that were set to be removed by time really got removed if the player didn't see them.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Thats good, but can you estimate on when the new version is going to be ready?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Couldn't say. I have my bachelor's thesis going on right now, and it's taking a lot of time. But I'm still working with the new version, and my list is really not that long. You know how it is.
    #
    Would it be possible to improve the AI for example the medics?So they actually heal the player necause they only get it done about 45% of the time.( don't worry yourself if you can't fix it though.)
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Spring-break starts in just one week! That will definitively give me the extra time I need to finish this up. But before that, San Felipe!
    #
    Anathema 19 years ago
    I was trying to mod the medics, and got sterted on instead of there being a healing laser, more of a healing blanket? But directed at the player, so anyone in the player's immediate vicinity would also get healed, but you should get the most of the blast thingy. It could be kind of like the shotgun, exept with less killy and more healy stuff
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    Cas, you filed a bug about the inaccurate scripts, right? Was it script 207 in the mod? The reason for it's inaccuracy is that changing the clock bars changes the ingame timer as well, causing problems with script timing and apparently plot_object deletion counters.

Suggestions?
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    In other news, I fixed effect 50. It was apparently making the player an AI controlled opponent when the control was switched. It works alright now with the missile, but you still need to find a way to attach the camera to the creature. It cannot be done in the same time as the change control effect, since it's still the old creature calling it. A script perhaps?
    #
    Pete 18 years ago
    Anything new?
    #
    Casanova 18 years ago
    I havent done any work in since the last beta i posted for bug testing, nor do i plan to do any work in for several weeks. I just have other things to do right now.
    #
    burgerking 18 years ago
    "ville" said:
    In other news, I fixed effect 50. It was apparently making the player an AI controlled opponent when the control was switched. It works alright now with the missile, but you still need to find a way to attach the camera to the creature. It cannot be done in the same time as the change control effect, since it's still the old creature calling it. A script perhaps?
    I rember when you favorite quote was "It could be done with a script"! Still i suppose it is true.
    OF is a great mod so far, i just wanted to know, if in the next version you dont add more areas, can you make the aliens respawn plz, it just is annoying to have to start a new game to kill more aliens.
    Also did i tell u that if you choose mech in the start, you can get into a tank and come out as a marine who cant die and never runs out of ammo?
    #
    Pete 18 years ago
    So this mod is as good as stopped?

#
    LavaBurn 18 years ago
    You know i did the same thing as Pete i stopped millions of my works(even flash movies)since it gets you out of ideas*sigh*
    #
    Forum » Opposing Force
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: