Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Got a great idea for the game? Tell us here!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Got a great idea for the game? Tell us here!

UberWaffe 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    About timing I couldn't say. It really depends on how much free time I have. A few weeks at the least. If you really need it, I might release an executive for you if/when the percent conditions get in.

Thanks for the offer but there is no real need to rush. The mod works as it is now. The bunch of scripts are just clogging up my scripts.dat file. But I think I have a way around them.

The conditions will still be great, but until then I will find new ways of doing old things.
    #
    clogmonkey 19 years ago
    "Arcane" said:
    Why not summon a Alien, Psionic, Android, and Human for each game, and have it be the other characters? I mean, each character is 'understandable', storywise. the Alien is all the rests' enemies, the Psionic could have gone into a semi-trance, the Android might be buggy, and the Human might not recognize the other characters. o.o
    i think that that is a good idea but maybie the android can help the human?

P.s. can we all get back on track?
    #
    mbojan 19 years ago
    I like the idea of a robot ally,but two problems:

1. The parts are very hard to find in "Notrium", by that I mean to say by the time I find all the parts,I could have gone in the escape pod,called in the dropship(or whatever it's called), or goten killed.In other words,if I tried to find all these parts,I would need to go through all the areas,fight a million aliens, especialy reapers,and by the time I get all the parts, my health will be clinging on 1 from death's clutches. I HOPE THE ROBOT IS WORTH IT!!!

2. ...(read above)... So I think that I should just give the hermit a radio and assemble his broken pistol, so I could have a helper.

So I conclude that I want a friendly helper,they should make a small turret that can move around and defend me. It should consist of a pistol,a battery,two metal rods and some kind of engine. That way I could make an mini-army of robots at a somewhat fair price.
    #
    mbojan 19 years ago
    As for a mod,I think you could change the story line like this(after intro,only this one as an add-on after

ALL:some other pods leave and make their way over to the planet, while you(the player) are just informed of it all by the ships computer. Now it starts... You have to get past the flamming parts of the ship(NOT POD), but also fires on the ground that give you heat pains by the second.Next part is P-T depending(player-type)

HUMAN AND ANDROID:as you make your way to the pods remaining, you come across a special weapon(perhaps a laser-motor piece.You take it.Combining it with a long metal rod you found later, you make a LASER CANNON!!! you blow a hole in a door, take the key to the emrgency exit(wich is indestructable )
    and get to the pod...

GOTA GO!!! I'LL CONTINUE TOMOROW
    #
    mbojan 19 years ago
    HUMAN and ANDROID: nothing to add, they got off in a pod,but had to leave the cannon inside the ship, for the magnetic force would blow up the pod within seconds

TO BAD ABOUT THE LASER CANNON , HUH ?

ALIEN: in the cargo hold(presuming she was there) A lot of metal boxes crash. With the light of fires as a guide,she finds WOODEN crates and cuts through a path (NOT the metal boxes,so make a small labirynth) and gets to the pods while avoiding sparks of HIGH VOLTAGE.

PSICONIC: using mind blast , goes thru door...(you know, pod, laser,door,... Ya' know,like human and android.

ALL: OKAY,OKAY, leave the pod avoiding missiles.

TO BE CONTINUED...
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    Hoverbike should not be slowed by swamp at all. Don't forget about Green Moss (Eden).

Hoverbike should not slow over lava, but it still should take some damage.

Campfires should burn out after several hours (on HARD)

Footstep particles could use more translucency, especially on snow. This makes Reapers very visible.

All this is going to be coded into my mod soon.
    #
    burgerking 19 years ago
    Could you make burning enemies turn into fires when they die? Also i think you should make the metal crates breakable with the flamethrower (coz it is just a more powerful welding torch + pain in rear if u only have one welding torch and parts to make thrower)
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    Think about this. If a flamethrower was more powerful at welding things than a welding torch, wouldn't industry be using flamethrowers today? The fact is that a welding torch is alot better at welding things. Alternatively, you wouldn't use a welding torch to send someone up in flames.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    Alternatively, you wouldn't use a welding torch to send someone up in flames.
    That's not neccessarily true, you can use the welding torch as a no ammo no energy weapon to kill weak enemies that aren't worth the effort.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I meant in a real life situation. If you wanted to set someone up in flames quickly, a flamethrower would be the better option.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    I meant in a real life situation. If you wanted to set someone up in flames quickly, a flamethrower would be the better option.
    I know, I was joking.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    Do you think crate's contents would survive flaming intact ?

A VERY GOOD IDEA
    1. My Notrium directory is 75 MB.
    2. My save directory is 33 MB
    3. My savegame6 is 4.5 MB
    4. When compressed with winzip using best setting, the file iss 1.5 MB.
    5. If you don't want to pay licensing fees for zip, Ville, 7zip and gzip are just as good if not better. And I think both of them are opensource.
    6. I may be lame at coding, but I guess savegames are used only at point when you load a game. So having them compressed shouldn't hurt much.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Technically it wouldn't be a big deal to compress the savegames. I might just think about it. The truth is however, that people have large harddisks these days.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Technically it wouldn't be a big deal to compress the savegames. I might just think about it. The truth is however, that people have large harddisks these days.

Yeah, but one particular badger has 7GB on his windows partition.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    And one particular mage has a 120 GB harddrive set up into four partitions and has never run out of space even with games that take up 2.3+ GB, so there.
    #
    UberWaffe 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Ville, I'm not attacking you in any manner, but this is something that constantly gnaws at me.
    True, harddisks are huge these days and space problems is not that common. But just because graphics/harddrives/etc are getting better doesn't mean programmers should stop aiming for efficiency.
    I'm just stating that just because hardware is advancing it doesn't justify becoming lazy. I have found that even with very basic programs, people these days tend to just seek the easiest way, not the best, believing that the fast hardware will compensate for their lack of effort.
    Please, ville, you haven't done that, so show the people how a little programming effort can safe space, time and frustrations.
    [In short: I vote for zipped savegames. And yes, I do haev a big harddrive. I just like to see programs that are effective.]
    @MageKing17: Please, be a bit more considerate of others.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I agree UbberWaffe, I have found many people do tend to be lazy when programming because of the speed and space of pc's these days. I know a few poeple who do this. The thing is that they are terrible programmers who write pages and pages of unnecessary code when it may only need to be a page at the most. The programs run really slow on my pc (just an average pc) and they have the nerve to say "Well its not my problem, get a better pc and then you will be able to run it"
    Anyway, I'm not saying thats you, I'm just saying people are becoming lazy.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    My hdd is 80GB, most of it taken by Linux because I'm a filthy Linux hippie.

There are other reasons to compress savegames:
    - currently they take circa 30MB only because you can't have more than 8, it seems.
    - there are places where severe space limits are still in place. In work, on university, etc.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    I know of a 3D FPS which is below 100kB:s in size. Now there's some effort put into programming!
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    I know of a 3D FPS which is below 100kB:s in size. Now there's some effort put into programming!

I'd like to add that that particular 3D FPS uses perpixel lighning and other fancy graphics. And textures are generated at starup using some weird algorithms.
    But I forgot its name :<
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    It's .kkrieger. And it also needs a damn good compy to play it with.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    yeah, my pc wont run it, but I can run the 64k demos. (they are really stunning)
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    The bad thing about compresing the savegames is that it will increase save/load time. I rather see improvements in other areas like in-game performance. Plus i never needed more than one save state at a time.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    The bad thing about compresing the savegames is that it will increase save/load time. I rather see improvements in other areas like in-game performance. Plus i never needed more than one save state at a time.

Wel.. yes. But perhaps it could be an option.

It makes me a bit angry that average savegame weights 3 times as much as whole data directory.... that dir is pure gameplay.
    #
    Kajotex 19 years ago
    I would suggest to make the red plants portable! and that you can combine those plants with something to make an healing device which you can produce on your own. example: you combine an red healing plant with an injection to create and healshot or something. also, if the blue plant would be portable you could mix them up and add them to the injection to create a stimpack which gives you a boost in speed and melee weapon damage but drains some health.

or what about an infrared lamb. if you attach it to googles you see the whole view in red but creatures would be like yellow or something! that would be great cause you dont get annoyed by those darn reapers!
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    That's the point of plants - not being portable. Health packs and reaper corpses are portable already. If red plants were changed, people would complain there's no static healing anymore.

Anyway, psionic can do that. Check yourself.

About portable electric plants - how about batteries, fuel cells, energy units ?

Light level addition, like in goggles, doesn't work very well for infrared vision. I made all creatures highligghted in red in my mod (for salamander race), and it turned out barriers and crates are creatures, too. They are bright red during night.

So basically to do it another way it would be necessary to change every single creature in game, to make it spawn lights when player is near and wields infrared lamb , as you said. Not a hard thing to do, but lots of copy/paste stuff and it might slow things down.

Reapers are not very visible with infrared or not, because their sprites are very translucent. With just goggles effect for creatures only, they are visible as small red mist cloud, quite translucent but still more visible.
    #
    burgerking 19 years ago
    I know this is a late post but...
    If u have too much [censored] on your hard drive it slows down your comuter heaps. So the point i am making is compression of saves IS a good idea. Take my comp: 30gb hard disk split in two partitions: school and games. Games partition has windows on it and is half full. Lag at startup: 2 mins.

i rest my case.
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    Current WYSIWYG is really awesome! Why not add an item designer?

New preset AI tactics.

Runtime environment system. If no file is in the mod then it will use old lumpy Default data.
    #
    sod9gfk 19 years ago
    I think this has been suggested by someone before but I want shovels that can dig under groudn were you can did a basement and live in a hole It would be great to jsut get out a shovel in teh morning adn dig a hwole by night then cover the top with a sand barrier. And if the aliens / marines / spiders, move the sand barier out of the way teh can coem in and attack you.

And after a while you could make metal hatchs leading down into them liek the hatches you have now.

On emore suggestion.

Making roofed bases as in not teh bunkers that are filled with enimies but, a place just for you that you could seal off with sand barriers or turrets or soemthing like that. So you could have areas to raise aliens and store food for when needed badly.
    #
    burgerking 19 years ago
    I stiil think that flmethrowers should make enemies turn into fires when they die. Also, how cool would it be if you could set trees on fire!!! you should be able to get firewood from dead trees.
    BTW what the ..... is an infared LAMB???

Edit: Ville can u PLEASE put instructions on installing mods in your Readme file??? I tried to put the Opposing force BETA on Notrium (Lastest Version (NOT test)) and it didn't work. I got the wrong objects and terrain. It looks like the game has been mixed up. Every item is a subspace radio and u can't see the characters. Also happened with the WAZZAL 2 BETA mod.
    #
    mbojan 19 years ago
    HEY I have a few Ideas.
    why don't you put a "brick" item in the new version, so that you can combine it with something and get "brick barrier/wall" . Or perhaps a bunch of pebbles and get rock barrier, I duno .

Why don't you put a race in, something like "Spider worker", and be a worker for queen, and do stuff, like kill intruders, or collect food, take control of new teritories and else. Like marines only spiders.

Continuing tomorrow...
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "mbojan" said:
    Why don't you put a race in, something like "Spider worker", and be a worker for queen, and do stuff, like kill intruders, or collect food, take control of new teritories and else. Like marines only spiders.
    There are a couple of mods you can get like that, see Tribal Wafare.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Besides, Ville is too busy to make a new race for Notrium right now.
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    "sod9gfk" said:
    I think this has been suggested by someone before but I want shovels that can dig under groudn were you can did a basement and live in a hole

I think I already said this some time ago. But it may disappeared. Thanks for reminding.

Well, I think we can try to lay mines. Anyone?
    #
    burgerking 19 years ago
    "burgerking" said:
    I stiil think that flmethrowers should make enemies turn into fires when they die. Also, how cool would it be if you could set trees on fire!!! you should be able to get firewood from dead trees.
    BTW what the ..... is an infared LAMB???

Edit: Ville can u PLEASE put instructions on installing mods in your Readme file??? I tried to put the Opposing force BETA on Notrium (Lastest Version (NOT test)) and it didn't work. I got the wrong objects and terrain. It looks like the game has been mixed up. Every item is a subspace radio and u can't see the characters. Also happened with the WAZZAL 2 BETA mod.
    Grr... I HATE quoting myself... Can u plz answer my question. BTW i got ADSL so download time is not an issue for me anymore. Still, for those who still use dial-up it is still an issue. Also, maybe u could make dual wielding in the main game as well?
    Edit no 2: Ok i know what i did wrong, yoiu need to tick the use folders thing. I played Uberwaffe's mod and the psionic/human/wolf cross (i can't spell its name) should be in the full game.
    #
    Forum » Got a great idea for the game? Tell us here!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: